Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    i worship Mr T

i hate the new format...(& a question)

is there any way at all that we can expand the threads so that we can see everything on the screen? i'm sure i'm repeating what others have said and am possibly yelling into the wind but part of what made passion such a community was the ability to get an overview of what was going on in a single glance - like coming into a party and instantly getting caught up on all of the conversations. this new format not only requires that i click an option at the bottom of the screen EACH time i refresh the page so that i can get the most recent post (not the most recently responded to post) at the top of the screen, but it also is quite labor intensive in terms of getting an overview of the discussions. again, i know others have said this, but i think it bears repeating: for those of us who surf in and out on limited time the new format is simply not user friendly.

ok, mini-rant/vent over.

rt

old format's better
    Jan 2004
    Whiny tiny heinie?? Welcome to the club. Well, the whiny part, anyway. I'm 100 per cent in agreement with you.

Ken
    No matter where you go, there you are.

sh*t disturber
    Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    "part of what made passion such a community was the ability to get an overview of what was going on in a single glance"
    rt
    rt, I think that's a small part of what made Passion a community. There are so many more variables at play than just the format of the messageboard that make a community. I like being able to learn a little bit more about each poster, and that's now possible with the "profiles" feature. If you really need to get in touch with someone now, no more lame "PAGING" posts, just click on the email or private message links. Community is all about the people, and it's a lot easier to get to know the people now. Anything that trips up trolls is a good thing as well. Sure, they can register as many handles as they like with temporary email addresses, but adminstrators can kill those handles a lot faster now. Accountability is a good thing. "Keyboard courage" can be a bad thing.

I agree with you that the format is "awkward", but I've adapted. Even some of the early detractors I've been in touch with are saying they like it now. To me, there were so many non-biking sort of conversations going on that the old format turned me off in many ways. I'd glance at Passion and see that there was all these long-winded threads with a whole lotta nothing, then move on. Now, I find I'm actually reading more, not fewer threads. There are other ways to assess the "popularity" of a thread/topic without it taking up a lot of screen real estate. Once I see a thread I like, I'm using the hybrid view to look through the nested threads. I like being able to see all the threads on one or two pages. The site moved along too quickly before. Definitely quantity over quality. In the "old days" I could read all the threads and stay on top of them. Over the last few years, that was impossible. It's easier to do now.

Unfortunately there is no way to view threads the old way. We just need to adapt.

end "counter-rant"
    Last edited by celly; 01-21-2004 at 10:00 AM.

There's no app for this.

It is like a party, and it's in the kitchen...

the trouble is finding the d@mn kitchen. Like celly and Ken and the rest, I'm sorta adapting. Jim

i worship Mr T

hehe

better than tiny whiny heinie!

rt

i worship Mr T

let me reprase

[QUOTE=celly]rt, I think that's a small part of what made Passion a community.

for me, being able to see all of what was going on was a large part of the community issue.

maybe i'll adapt, maybe i won't. either way, ca, c'est la vie.

rt

old format's better
    Jan 2004
    Take it back! I'm not adapting at all. I'm using this format under protest, and would change it back to the old way immediately if the choice were mine. Failing that, I wish that the features that are here would at least work immediately. Before all you had to do was hit 'return to message board' and you were updated on what you'd viewed and what you hadn't by an OBVIOUS color change. Now the tiny envelopes with dots and circles and bold threads and unbold threads and little colored or white markers don't necessarily engage till who knows when?

Ken

i worship Mr T

yup, where is the d@mn kitchen, and...

who drank all the beer?!

;-)

rt

There's no app for this.

Well if you had a good avatar...

Yeah, me too. But in finger it's like being stuck in traffic. Just don't get road rage and you'll probably survive without a heart attack and gunfire. And hopefully we'll find the lane that's moving. And eventually get to the destination.

What was the question? *tap tap tap* this on?

Jim

There's no app for this.

Bzzzzttttttttt!!!!

who drank all the beer?!

;-) <--- no longer allowed. insert smily here:

rt
    ;-) <--- no longer allowed. insert smily here:

sh*t disturber

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    Yeah, me too. But in finger it's like being stuck in traffic. Just don't get road rage and you'll probably survive without a heart attack and gunfire. And hopefully we'll find the lane that's moving. And eventually get to the destination.

What was the question? *tap tap tap* this on?

Jim
    You're a wise man, JC.

old format's better
    Jan 2004
    Gunfire can be very therapeutic, and there are few problems that can't be solved by the appropriate use of explosives.

SERENITY NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken

mtbr member
    *rt I totally agree. I've been trying to get used to this new format. I hate it! Will not be checking out the board as often because I can't tell what the heck is going on.

i worship Mr T

*sigh* (nfm)

well, sh*t! i can't even have a blank message. is nothing sacred?!

rt

i worship Mr T

lol!

*boom*

i worship Mr T

i'm right there with ya

call me lazy but if i can't see what's going on i can't be bothered to click to find out. besides, i don't know if anyone else is finding this, but the pages are slow to load.

rt

There's no app for this.

Stolen Post!

there....feel better now?

I better do some work, later, Jim

sh*t disturber
    i don't know if anyone else is finding this, but the pages are slow to load.

rt
    No speed issues noted in the slightest here.

No relation

Ahem...

Quote Originally Posted by celly
    rt, I think bla bla bla... If you really need to get in touch with someone now, no more lame "PAGING" posts, just click on the email or private message links.
    >>>PAGING MellowYellow<<<

I've actually been visiting more since the new format began. Coincidence? Probably.
    Don't you ever, don't you ever, stop being dandy showing me you're handsome.

sh*t disturber

I think once the novelty wears off......

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod
    >>>PAGING MellowYellow<<<

I've actually been visiting more since the new format began. Coincidence? Probably.
    I'll be back in lurque mode anyhow. Of course, mtbr only has a few more weeks to live anyhow, so it's all moot now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Ahhhh, the good old days...

...of lost posts. Now that was livin', damn!

Bb, [ confued and whiny too. ]

i worship Mr T

ooh. much better.

just like old times.

hehe

rt

chic magnet
    Jan 2004

Old Format Was Like A Singlespeed -simple!!!

waaaaaaa....waaaaaa...sniffle,sniffle
    BRING IT BACK, BRING IT BACKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!

chic magnet
    Jan 2004

Old Format Was Like A Singlespeed -simple!!!

sh*t disturber
    Quote Originally Posted by original Ben Dover
    well put.

OG lurker

Wink I'm kinda worried...

Are your loved ones aware of your impairments that make surfing this board difficult?

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    well, sh*t! i can't even have a blank message. is nothing sacred?!
    rt
    RT, read my replies to MikeT in this thread. A work around for the No Message subject lines.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...=7951#poststop

Domestic Fowl
    is there any way at all that we can expand the threads so that we can see everything on the screen? i'm sure i'm repeating what others have said and am possibly yelling into the wind but part of what made passion such a community was the ability to get an overview of what was going on in a single glance - like coming into a party and instantly getting caught up on all of the conversations. this new format not only requires that i click an option at the bottom of the screen EACH time i refresh the page so that i can get the most recent post (not the most recently responded to post) at the top of the screen, but it also is quite labor intensive in terms of getting an overview of the discussions. again, i know others have said this, but i think it bears repeating: for those of us who surf in and out on limited time the new format is simply not user friendly.

ok, mini-rant/vent over.

rt

I'm in full agreement..... not efficent for the way I like to browse the forums. Here's why I think "flat view" detracts from the atmosphere.... not a view shared by all, apparently.

Why "flat view" sucks....

i worship Mr T

will do. thanks Craig.

very little message here.

i worship Mr T

agreed!

sorry i missed your original thread. i was still fighting change and handing around the "old" board - where i could see everything in one glance.

oh well, when i rule the world things will be different!

rt

Domestic Fowl
    sorry i missed your original thread. i was still fighting change and handing around the "old" board - where i could see everything in one glance.

oh well, when i rule the world things will be different!

rt

*rt* for Prez.

i worship Mr T

check out my new signature...

heheheheheh

rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

mtbr member
    I hate it too, RT ...and have been enjoying RBR more lately...while it lasts. On the old format, one click and a quick drag would let you see if anyone had responded to anything you posted in the last day or so. It took maybe 10 seconds tops.

And yes, this board is loading way slower for me too. I have a T1, speed is usually not an issue.

whine,sniffle,sulk, lip-out, etc.

i worship Mr T

yup...

Quote Originally Posted by litespeedchick
    I hate it too, RT ...and have been enjoying RBR more lately...while it lasts.
    me too.....while it lasts....not to mention, i'm being very productive at work. hmmm....

And yes, this board is loading way slower for me too. I have a T1, speed is usually not an issue.
    good, glad it's not just me. i've got whatever work gives me and speed is rarely an issue (your tax dollars hard at work. hee hee)

whine,sniffle,sulk, lip-out, etc.
    add to that: pout, stamp, grumble...

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

banned
    No speed issues noted in the slightest here.
    Speed issues here.

The new forums load much faster on this measely 128k IDSL and my faster ADSL at home.

I think that the continuing inability of people to adapt to/understand the new forums is interesting though.

members only
    It's just another format type. Get use to it...
    Hate is a strong word here.
    I don't come here for the format, it's the discussions, the people, different views and what not.

On the old format, one click and a quick drag would let you see if anyone had responded to anything you posted in the last day or so. It took maybe 10 seconds tops.
    On the new board, the "My Account" button will give you a page with all threads that someone has posted to that you have also posted on.

Check it out, that is the page I use the most.

Saves a ton of time if you check out a bunch of the boards, you don't have to keep flipping from one board to the other.

Ride what you want!!
    call me lazy
    You're lazy..

anyone else is finding this, but the pages are slow to load.

rt
    Exact opposite, old forum took forever to load. I've got quick loads now.

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

i worship Mr T

hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by george_da_trog
    Exact opposite, old forum took forever to load. I've got quick loads now.
    huh. weird.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

mtbr member

... and if we just ... D@mn *rt*...

is there any way at all that we can expand the threads so that we can see everything on the screen? ... ok, mini-rant/vent over.

rt
    ... look at how this thread has progressed -

Well, while I'll agree with you that the new format is more difficult in following the responses on various threads (and goodness knows sometimes those thread titles were the most fun to read), I do have to admit that I'm with celly and that the new format is easier on me for filtering out stuff I'd rather not view/read. It'll take some getting used to for many people, but as long as there are people out there willing to post on here I'm hopeful the "community" aspect will still be around.

It is rather cool though to peruse the new features and stuff...

btw... when you do rule the world will "directionally impaired" become a standard? -J/K

Randy
    Randy

No, that's not phonetic
    The new format blows chunks. I rarely crawl out of the Turner board because the inertia of clicking a bazillion times to view threads which, it turns out, I have no interest in anyway, is just too much to overcome. I stare blankly at the most recent topic replied to in the Passion section, and invariably decide it is not worth wading in. Only when I see a "New Board Sucks" thread do I go over and read it. A pathetic state of affairs.

The Turner manufacturer's board is pretty robust. We talk tires, rims, brakes, drivetrain, shocks, and yup, Turners over there. It is like a microcosm of the old boards. While I like that, it is exactly what I feared would happen to this place: the compartmentalization of MTBR. it is too much bother to look around much, so we just hang close to home and interaction goes down the tubes. Boards are for communication foremost. We seem to have forgotten that around here and put administrative ease first. Francis, sorry if that sounds harsh, but that is how it seems on this end.

Tullebukk summed the problem with the new boards up well <a href="http://forums13.consumerreview.com/crforum?14@251.S0aba7Gr7EL.0@.efe6339/16">here</a> and did some napkin math to quantify how bad the new system sucks (that is a link to the old boards if someone needs a rest from the "new and improved" format).

Now back to my Turner board cubicle.

tscheezy
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

sh*t disturber

Wink With all due respect......

For someone who doesn't like the new format, you've sure made lots of posts, vis a vis others on the site.

No, that's not phonetic
    For someone who doesn't like the new format, you've sure made lots of posts, vis a vis others on the site.
    I have done my best to embrace the new system, and post where I feel the desire.

I do post prolifically at times, but not as widely as I would have in the past (now THAT is scary).

tscheezy
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

old format's better
    Jan 2004
    Hey Craig, I agree with you on the 'threads I've posted in' part, but I often have interest in following threads that I've not yet posted in, too. Any way to keep track of them that's as easy?

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ken
    Hey Craig, I agree with you on the 'threads I've posted in' part, but I often have interest in following threads that I've not yet posted in, too. Any way to keep track of them that's as easy?
    Ken
    Hi Ken:

Down on the bottom left hand corner of the thread page, there is an area labelled "thread tools" which allows you to "subscribe" to a thread which will add it to your "my account" page list.

old format's better
    Jan 2004
    And FURTHERMORE, what the heck is the deal with some folks having faster loads and some having slower? Beauty's in the eye of the beholder kinda thing? It just SEEMS faster cause you like it or vice versa?

Ken

I don't know, but it seems faster to me.

Keep Singlespeeding Evil
    I think vBulletin rocks for "on-topic-forums" like Singlespeed but sucks for "off-topic-forums" like Passion ...
    I just came here to steal the coolest pictures in the whole world and now I am more patient and go to foo-riders.com - not that many posts but more quality ...

K.I.S.S.!

phaty

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I agree. At least with the old format, we could view new posts in the order of posting, and not in the order of most recent reply. I also agree with your point that it was convenient to be able to view all of the reply headings in a single scan. What are the chances that we will get some of the old features back?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Coffee
    At least with the old format, we could view new posts in the order of posting, and not in the order of most recent reply. ... What are the chances that we will get some of the old features back?
    Use the "view lastest posts" link in the bar at the top of the Passion page. This option was requested by a lot of users so MTBR added it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast