Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    San Miguel Beer Drinker
    Apr 2009

I did it! I bought a road bike, to better myself on the MTB

Congratulations

I also have a road bike for cross training, i have it for two months now.
    When weather is really bad i ride it on the rollers.
    Its tougher than it looks though.

I felt that my cadence and stroke improved though.
    But still cant get used to the drops haha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Congrats on the first ride

I just got my first road bike as a graduation present in May. The closest trails to me are 40 minutes away so it's nice being able to rack up some road miles during the week. I'm definitely getting in better shape from riding so often now.

mtbr member
    Get a computer with cadence and heart rate to help you keep your spin and bpms in a good range.
    I ride DH and use trail/XC and road to keep in cardio shape to do long runs. And may take up yoga to help develop the core to help whip the bike around.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopaka View Post
    Road biking is way more dangerous IMO so be careful.
    Be careful. A coworker was an avid competitive roadie (and way faster than me) was riding with her partner who was hit by a car and sustained a brain injury. She has given up cycling all together. I'm trying to get her to try mountain biking.

Good luck. I bought a road bike three years ago but never could get the passion for it. Sold it this year. I do have a second set of wheels for my Rip9 with road tires in case I get the itch.
    Goat Rider

V-Shaped Rut
    This year I've gotten clipped by a car on my roadie and had a pretty decent crash on the MTB. Either could have gone a lot worse for me. Neither have stopped me from riding. You just do your best to be safe doing the things you enjoy or you stay at home and be 'safe'.

FWIW I think roadie does help you keep your pace on non-technical and is easier to work on cardio. Mental discipline too. And you can usually do it out your front door vs driving somewhere so that's a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by h82crash View Post
    Be careful. A coworker was an avid competitive roadie (and way faster than me) was riding with her partner who was hit by a car and sustained a brain injury. She has given up cycling all together. I'm trying to get her to try mountain biking.

Good luck. I bought a road bike three years ago but never could get the passion for it. Sold it this year. I do have a second set of wheels for my Rip9 with road tires in case I get the itch.

mtbr member

Re: I did it! I bought a road bike, to better myself on the MTB

Congrats! I also got my first road bike earlier this summer and I love it! It's really helped with my fitness and has also helped my tech riding indirectly (takes more time to get gassed on the MTB). Fortunately there's a 115 mile paved bike path a few minutes from my house so I don't have to worry about cars when I'm out there. Be careful and always wear bright clothing and/or a light

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by h82crash View Post
    I've known many people who were killed in all sorts of situations. You can't avoid it when it's your time. Walking across a stree can get you killed or injured. Sorry, for your friend... loss is hard. He didn't die but, he did.

O.p.

As for riding on the city streets and roadways. Act like a car and most drivers will see you as one, instead of some slow ass, slowing them down on their big hurry to get nowhere.

I suggest buying a good and bright tail light. Use it even in the day time.
    Where there is a hill, there's a way!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Congrats on the road bike! As a dedicated road/cyclocross rider I've gone in the opposite direction, going for my first ride on a mountain bike today (local demo event) in aim of adding a mountain bike to the stable to improve my bike handling for CX. Plus it just looks like (and was) a whole lot of fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    Riding a road bike to become a better mountain biker is like eating cauliflower to get better at eating pizza.
    Competitive hotdog eaters actually "train" by consuming large quantities of vegetables to stretch their stomach.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Meh. You can ride a fat bike on the street lol

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Formerly of Kent

Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    Riding a road bike to become a better mountain biker is like eating cauliflower to get better at eating pizza.
    Plenty of pro MTB racers (DH, XC, Enduro) train on the road.

Maybe, just maybe, it works for them?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Nice - I was actually thinking of doing the same thing. How do you like the Carbon 6 Synapse? I was looking at the Carbon 4 myself. Looks like the exact same frame but with SRAM components. There's pretty good deals on them now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaM View Post
    Nice - I was actually thinking of doing the same thing. How do you like the Carbon 6 Synapse? I was looking at the Carbon 4 myself. Looks like the exact same frame but with SRAM components. There's pretty good deals on them now.
    I believe you're right, the frames are the same, it's a matter of components. The 4 is much better . Honestly I can't compare the bike to anything else (as this is my first road bike) but what I can tell you is that it's comfortable, and a hell of a lot of fun! I compared it to the Trek Domane and at the end of the day, the Synapse was the right choice. Like you said, the price is right right now. I say go for it! The Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5 (in between the 4 and 6) won bike of the year with a Bike Radar.

Went for a ride this morning on her and can't get over how much I enjoy it. Biggest difference I find compared to the mtb is how high my heart rate gets on the road bike... And stays high! Pumping non-stop! It's been great
    MTB: 2011 Trek HiFi Pro 29er
    ROAD: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 6

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Around here we have lots of paved over rail trails that are quite scenic and enjoyable to ride. Plodding around on them with a MTB just isn't that much fun though. Having a nice light road or urban bike to cruise these on skinny, smooth tires is just the trick. I like having the option to do either trails or pavement depending on my mood.

I used to ride the streets in urban areas all the time. Mostly Boston, NYC and Austin (where I lived). Just don't care to deal with the cars anymore. Dodging cars and watching out for drivers distracts me from the pleasure of gliding along and breathing the air.

Congrats and have fun with your new road bike.

I love Pisgah
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Plenty of pro MTB racers (DH, XC, Enduro) train on the road.

Maybe, just maybe, it works for them?

+1

This.

Carry on.
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

mtbr member

Semantics, but there is a big difference between being faster on a mountain bike, and being better on a mountain bike. All things being equal, faster is better, obviously.

I've always wondered why mountain bikers don't just ride urban, instead of road bikes, when trails are wet. That's what I do, and if you're a creative, you will progress faster in the skills department riding urban versus trails.

This is neither here nor there, though. Enjoy your new bike. :thumbup:

mtbr member
    I ride trails once a week, if that. Depending on when the GF is off work, really. So I'll ride road a lot in the meantime. If you cant get your HR up to where you want on the road bike, you're doing it wrong. Riding both makes me stronger on both, that's for sure.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by AllMountin' View Post

I've always wondered why mountain bikers don't just ride urban, instead of road bikes, when trails are wet. That's what I do, and if you're a creative, you will progress faster in the skills department riding urban versus trails.
    Helps with skills but not so much on cardio.

It's up to everyone to decide what it's best for them, I think.

Also, you develop some other skills that make you a better cyclist (if that is your thing).

Personally, I ride both as I please. I have tried the local velodrome and it's just another animal and type of cycling that it's just a delight to ride.

I like MTB for the skills, adrenaline, contact with nature, the technical development of bikes, etc.
    I like road cycling because of the freedom of just riding from my driveway with a waterbottle and a tube, the joy of zipping around and riding with others, helping or racing each other. There is much more teamwork involved in riding in a pack.
    I like the track for the pure shot of adrenaline and the idea of measuring myself (unsuccessfully, I might add) against others and clock. Taking a banked turn at 30mph inches away from other riders is just nuts!

There are no bad forms of riding! All of them are beautiful and again, all of them make you a better cyclist.

Enjoy the new bike, OP!
    Check my Site

official eMpTyBRain
    I bought one too, sort of. Mine is more of an aggressive commuter bike. I needed it because I am commonly too busy to drive to the dirt to ride. With my new "pavement roller" (I'm NOT a "roadie!!!), I can blast off from my area and JUST GO.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    I bought one too, sort of. Mine is more of an aggressive commuter bike. I needed it because I am commonly too busy to drive to the dirt to ride. With my new "pavement roller" (I'm NOT a "roadie!!!), I can blast off from my area and JUST GO.
    You'll be wearing Lycra in no time

mtbr member
    The road cycling is infectious. I've already bought a bib and road jersey.... Now to go as far as to shave my legs....???? Not quite there yet . Just got back from my first mtb ride since owning the road bike. I can't get over how much I could feel the front fork and rear shock working (after a few rips on the hard riding road bike). I love both bikes for different reasons..... Still a happy camper!
    MTB: 2011 Trek HiFi Pro 29er
    ROAD: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 6

Clueless Bastard
    Another conversion!

I started on the road. So I guess I'm a roadie who mountain bikes? Or perhaps a mountain biker who road rides? A fat biker who cyclocrosses? A singlespeeder with geared bikes?

For someone who has lots of nice bikes, it's pretty easy to get caught up in the "stuff" but keep your focus on the ride. Any excuse to ride a bike is a good one. Crossing disciplines is good for your cycling technique and overall fitness.

If you can get outta bed, go out for an early AM, before the sun is up kinda ride. It's an amazing time. Spin along and watch the neighborhood slowly come awake. Love that.

mtbr member
    I love riding my mountain bike on the road. In fact, I very often ride from my house to trail-heads. I have worn a heart rate monitor before, and my heart rate gets plenty high when pushing on the road. I can average about 16mph on my mountain riding the hills in my area. Not as fast as on a road bike, but I sold my carbon fiber road bike, bought a nice used mountain bike, and have never looked back. I've even contemplated picking up a 29er hardtail to ride the gravel roads in my area. I think I just prefer the more upright ride of a flatbar bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I walked out of the door of the bike shop and I saw a Cannondale with that same paint scheme being loaded onto a car. I was practically yelling at them-"Wow! Nice bike!" Got a big smile out of the customer and the salesman. That is a really neat looking bike!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I think everyone should have AT LEAST one MTB, one CX bike, one fat bike and one road bike.
    Training on a road bike is easier because you can do structured intervals and measure power output....on a MTB terrain usually dictates the length and intensity of the intervals. To me it is also much easier to practice on hills on the road bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman View Post
    +1

This.

Carry on.
    Epic Flash Boris F65X + road bikes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast