Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

"I am going to drown on a mountain bike ride."

I consider myself a pretty smart guy. I've got some book smarts -- an engineering degree from one of the world's top engineering schools. I've got some real world smarts -- having built a 20+ year business career around leading high performing teams.

Those thoughts rushed through my head right before I realized that a stupid decision made last Sunday almost cost me my life.

"I can't believe someone as smart as me is going to die of drowning on a goddam mountain bike ride."

That's what I said, OUT LOUD, while approaching an ominous set of rapids in what used to be a routine creek crossing on one of my favorite bike trails. I was on my back, floating in that position that whitewater rafting guides tell you to assume if you get tossed from the boat in a rapid. Face up, feet downstream, ready to push off any rocks or debris. My right hand had a tenuous grip on my 3 week old, $4500 Yeti ASR-5 as it floated downstream of me. I had no idea what was downstream but I could hear the roar of rapids and see thick mist coming from the drop ahead of me.

I couldn't stand up. The stream bed, which was now a Class IV rapid, is solid rock and my Sidi shoes had no hope of gaining traction while the water pushed me down and pulled my bike. It was only waist to chest deep but it was plenty deep enough to prevent me from being able to stand or get to a bank. I was surprisingly calm. I was more shocked at how stupid a decision I had made 10 seconds earlier when I decided to try to ride over the stream that no longer remotely resembled a stream.

Oh, and I was alone, too.

Finally, I managed to find a rock big enough to brace against and stopped my approach to what was either a big rapid or a huge log/debris jam on the other side of the drop. With my momentum stopped, I managed to crawl/swim/claw my way to the bank. In waist deep water, I pulled myself and my bike through the mud and thorn bushes as thick as I had ever seen. Panting, soaking wet, and bleeding from dozens of thorn cuts on my legs, I hunched over my bike and told myself that I almost ended up on the evening news, the Darwin Awards, and probably a new internet meme for being, at that moment, the Dumbest Human on the Planet.

Accepting my new role with gusto, I tossed my bike back in the river, forded across at a slower moving spot, and rode for another 90 minutes.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Never underestimate the power, and danger, of moving water.

Just take a look at the Grand Canyon!

Glad you made it out OK...

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    8in of water is enough to move a 4000# car, a guy on a mnt bike is easy peasy

mtbr member
    sounds like one hell of an adventure good thing it all worked out for the better, it seems your ability to stay cool calm and think rationally is what helped you in that situation glad you were able to continue your ride and come here to share the story as it is a good reminder of how easily a good day could turn bad in certain situations.make sure to give that yeti a good grease job haha.
    surly karate monkey
    surly ogre

pin it
    Glad you made it.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    I work with engineers and the only surprise is that you only made one mistake and you remained calm usually engineers constantly made mistakes and blame others and they usually panic at the slightest issue. You are a great exception to the rule and you ride a mtb so you are a bit smarter than most engineers. If only more engineers would make fatal mistakes, with less engineers the world would be a much better and well organized place. In my trade we have a saying- Yesterday I couldnt spell engineer today I is one!!
    Your never too old to have a happy childhood!

mtbr member
    Wow what a story. While I'm also glad you're okay, I believe at some point you should post a pic of the trail &downstream where you went in. C'mon Sir, we need visuals with this one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    At least you still have your $4,500 Yeti with you. Don't worry, your secret's safe with us.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    You're not alone, many years ago durng an exteemely wet summer my 2 riding buddies and myself decided to cross a river where the bridge had been washed out. Not the brightest decision made by any of us at any time. I went first and the water was deep than we thought it was just under my chin and the bottom was moving twice as fast as the top, so it washed my feet out from under me. I managed to keep my balance and hoped my way to the bank, my buddy was not so lucky, he was washed away and started to freak out, I jumped in and got to him grad him by his camelbac and told him to relaxe, dragged himm and his bike back to shore. Now the last guy is standing on the other side still now really pondering what to do since he just witnessed what just happened. Best part is he was the shortest of us and the water was over his head, so in I go again grab his bike and he swam across. Not has harrowing as your brush with water but still it was an adventure that could have turned out worse from just plain stupidity.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    The funniest part of this is that nobody has chastised you for not letting go of the bike, and just saving yourself. We all understand.

neeeds donation$ for bike
    i had a visual reading the whole thing. glad you made it out safe. thats crazy sheeet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    As a boater, this is where I started getting scared:
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    I had no idea what was downstream but I could hear the roar of rapids and see thick mist coming from the drop ahead of me.
    Even though I knew the outcome (apparently you got back to let us know what happened), it was still a riveting read and glad you survived to tell the tale!
    My heart rate is slowly dropping back down to normal.

Kayakers know to never let go of their paddle if they swim, and you knew not to let go of your bike! Good job.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Wait, you ended up riding off trail?!

Seriously though, glad you were able to remain calm and get yourself out of a very sticky situation. Also glad you were willing to share and provide a reminder for all of how trail conditions can change due to weather and that needs to be considered. With me being in Colorado, I was thinking how cold that water would have been through snow melt, if I would have been in a similar predicament; adding to the complexity of the situation. Have fun everyone, but be safe out there to enjoy future riding days.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Is it wrong I was more concerned for the bike? j/k. Crazy story.

mtbr member
    This picture doesn't do the stream/river justice, as it's just the crossing point, but it does further accentuate how dumb I was. The stream was obviously flowing fast and hard enough for me to stop and take a picture. You'd think SOMETHING would click in my head that this isn't a good idea.

Looking back on the whole incident, I was probably not in as much danger as I thought. The biggest risk was a foot entrapment or hidden hydraulic. But the fact that I knowingly put myself in that situation is disappointing. Especially given that I've done my share of whitewater kayaking and know to respect a river in ANY condition, let alone flood stage.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    my Sidi shoes had no hope of gaining traction
    Another reason to ride flats and wear five tens.
    I Just Wasn't Made For These Times

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Nice read sir! Glad you made it out of that alive.

Oh, and I'm sure people HAVE drowned in far more stable water conditions / lighter conditions than you found yourself in.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Glad you are here with us alive and well...Nothing wrong with saving the bike if you can save yourself as well...Heck, I think most of us would have tried to hang on the bike.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Thanks to your story, Yeti will now be marketing their bikes as emergency personal floatation devices. Epic story, glad you made it back to tell us

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    A proper engineer would have immediately disassembled his bike and fastened himself a makeshift raft using the seat post/saddle as a paddle.

mtbr member
    I could have got hit by a train a couple days ago. I heard the horn, never really thought about what I was doing, rode over the train tracks that I thought were never used anymore ... WRONG! the train was about 40 feet from me to my right.

mtbr member
    So what is the best course of action to take if you come to an unexpected water crossing, either alone or in a group? Is there a good way to gauge the strength of the current without getting in? Is it best to avoid the crossing altogether and go back the way you came, even if you'll be riding back in the dark? If you do cross and end up going downstream is it best to keep a hold of your bike or let it go?

Does a fat bike float better?

mtbr member
    Great read.

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    Saw a buddy ride full speed into what looked like 6 inches of water, it was actually 10 feet deep...he completely submerged in front of us.

His nickname is the Sub.
    It wasn't me

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I never cared for the swimming leg of the xterra either KevinGT! All kidding aside, I used to jump my BMX bike off of a platform into an olympic sized pool. I almost drowned trying to retrieve my bike from the deep end many times. I have a prestigious degree also. Maybe the over-education of our minds drives us to stupidity.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast