Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

The "I almost died" Thread

A recent post got me thinking, how many folks here have nearly died and still ride (or started riding afterwards)?

My story is linked in my sig, but the short of it is that leukemia spread to my brain and severe swelling nearly ruptured my brain stem out of my skull. I rode beforehand and I was able to climb on the bike outside a year after my diagnosis. It took another year to fully regain my balance and fitness. My only limitation is a reduced platelet count that isn't an issue for small cuts andscrapes but could be a problem in a severe injury, so I have to measure risks more than most.

So what about everyone else? I'm not talking about times when you were scared of dying. We have all had those. I mean times you were seriously close due to illness or injury. How did it happen? Were you on the bike? Did you have to work to resume riding or did you start after your recovery?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    This explains your pic and fascination with "Braaaaaiiiiinnnnsssss"... You are in fact almost a zombie!! :-)

All kidding aside, glad you're still with us and kicking butt on a bike!
    Santa Cruz Tallboy - lovin' the full squish 29'r!

Titanium junkie
    Was pronounced dead during a low blood sugar. EMT meter
    couldn't pick any reading on me. I still believe God has a purpose for
    me, just haven't figured it out yet.
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

Quote Originally Posted by Loudviking View Post
    Guess I should have asked if anyone actually died yet.

"I got better."

mtbr member
    2 times for me.
    The second time it looked like I certainly wasn't going to make it so I said goodbye to everyone and was ready die a few minutes after the farewell.
    ER ended up with a phone call from a doctor at another hospital who suggested a different last ditch effort. I remain warm and pink to the present day.
    After all that excitement I was told I'd be stupid to ride a mtb again. I was told I was lucky to be alive so I should modify my behavior in order to eliminate as much risk as possible from my life.
    Basically I received a death sentence with an unknown stay of execution.
    So, instead of modifying my behavior and living scared and attempting to postpone the inevitable by not "living", I took the opposite approach.
    I ride A LOT.
    I make sure to have the ride of a lifetime several times a season.
    I take the MTB trip of a lifetime several times a year.

Hazardous to your health!
    i almost died when i was born, needed blood transfusion and a bunch of drugs. the drugs made me hard of hearing but im alive! not quite related but they did say id never walk or talk....and ive been playing sports all my life (and walk normal)
    2011 Specialized Rockhopper: Captain Tires, Disc Brakes, 24 speed

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

mtbr member

You just figured it out and did it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Clydesdale View Post
    2 times for me.
    The second time it looked like I certainly wasn't going to make it so I said goodbye to everyone and was ready die a few minutes after the farewell.
    ER ended up with a phone call from a doctor at another hospital who suggested a different last ditch effort. I remain warm and pink to the present day.
    After all that excitement I was told I'd be stupid to ride a mtb again. I was told I was lucky to be alive so I should modify my behavior in order to eliminate as much risk as possible from my life.
    Basically I received a death sentence with an unknown stay of execution.
    So, instead of modifying my behavior and living scared and attempting to postpone the inevitable by not "living", I took the opposite approach.
    I ride A LOT.
    I make sure to have the ride of a lifetime several times a season.
    I take the MTB trip of a lifetime several times a year.
    So yours was actually a bike accident? You have to give some details on what happened, lol. Downhilling?

mtbr member
    Last August I piled up my motorcycle at >130mph. I almost died at the scene, due to an artery that was hanging out of my arm. I tore my left foot about 80% off. They said it was a miracle that I survived the wreck. Then 2 days later in the hospital, after surgery, they gave me too many IV painkillers. I woke up in the middle of the night, thinking I was having a seizure. Machines beeping, doctors yelling at each other, oxygen mask on. Doc says "we about lost ya there son". Apparently the painkillers stopped my breathing and a nurse, who was bored during her shift, came to ask me some questions and discovered me unresponsive. My o2 sat was 4% when she found me. If she hadn't come seen me I'd be dead. I too believe the man upstairs has a plan.
    Registered pedalphile.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by picassomoon View Post
    So yours was actually a bike accident? You have to give some details on what happened, lol. Downhilling?
    Not a bike accident, just an obscure disease that acts up and tries to kill me from time to time.
    Wear and tear on the heart and lungs and a lifetime of anticoagulant medication is how I roll now.
    Oddly enough, the additional risk of riding on anticoagulant meds and the realization that my ability to process oxygen and pump it throughout my body is no longer a guarantee has had a severe impact on my riding.
    I've had to alter my lifestyle since the diagnosis.................
    I downhill 40+ days at the bike park during the summer, spend about 20+ days in Moab each year, and typically hit a few dozen other "destination" riding spots each season.
    I've been so traumatized by the ordeal that it's all I can do to ride 4-5 days a week to keep a smile on my face.
    Clock is ticking.
    Use it before you lose it.
    Last edited by 11053; 05-06-2012 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Clydesdale View Post
    Clock is ticking.
    Use it before you lose it.
    truer words were never spoken.

official eMpTyBRain
    2 1/2 times for me.

My Mom was having a really difficult time getting me out at birth. Turns out my ambilicle cord was wrapped around my neck so they did an emergency C-section. I was Dodger Blue colored at birth.

The "1/2" time was when my temp hit 106 degrees as a toddler and I convulsed intensely. My parents held me under a cold shower and my temp dropped but I was horribly weakened by that and it took a while for me to recover.

The last time was almost 6 months ago when I fell off a narrow section of single track that had extreme exposure. I am still trying to heal up from that but I have neck issues, rib issues and worst of all, knee issues, In fact I am going back to the Orthopedic Surgeon tomorrow morning regarding my lingering knee issues...

Let's hope it's a simple fix....Wish me luck!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

banned
    Nov 2011
    Good idea for a thread. I actually almost went off a cliff a few days ago. I was riding downhill on a narrow singletrack trail that was on the edge of a cliff. For some reason there was a long metal pipe (about 35 feet long) laid down on the trail and it was protruding out the surface a little. As i was going down a big pothole was coming up so I had to immediately switch lines, and it involved crossing through the long metal pipe.

Well my front tire crossed over the pipe with ease, however my rear tire couldn't make it over for some reason, and since the ground was damp (since it was raining a little bit) my rear tire got caught on the edge of the pipe and slid violently to a point where it almost ejected me off the cliff.

I don't how I did, but I saved it with a last second handling maneuver. I was so close to going off the cliff. My rear tire did end up getting a sidewall tear though, and I had to walk the rest of the way, but I was so f***ing grateful to God for not going off the cliff.

Too be honest now that I think of it, I feel proud of myself for having good handling skills. Not many people would have been able to maneuver the bike like I did in those couple seconds of near disaster.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    2 of the worst
    1) I was born dead-no pulse, the umbilical cord was wrapped around my neck 3 times
    2) while commuting to my tree stand I was hit by a truck while on my four wheeler on the shoulder of a road, was pushed off a 30ft cliff/drop/ditch and the quad landed on me at least once (the rear rack was dented perfectly in the shape of my back). I woke up and crawled to the road with 3 shattered ribs, a deflated lung and infracted(sp?) kidney.

mtbr member
    A couple of times.

I needed brain surgery after I was born. Had bleeding in the brain due to a small stroke and had emergency surgery to relieve the pressure. Doc told my mom I wouldn't make it through the night or if I did would be retarded or a vegetable. Gave me epilepsy and loss of peripheral vision on the right side of both eyes. You really need peripheral vision with mountain biking as I've discovered. I'm good for driving and riding a road bike, but it's pretty shaky on a mountain bike trail.

Had my first gran mal seizure while pregnant with my 2nd child. How I managed to fall straight back into the bathroom and miss the sink and toilet is beyond me. Should have cracked my head open. That's 3 weeks of my life I don't really remember.

Turns out I've had epilepsy all my life after talking to the neurologist. The"odd" sensations that happened several times a day ever since I can remember actually were seizures. How I drove a car from the age of 17-21 without a car crash is another mystery as I'd lose 3-5 minutes of partial consciousness every time. I wasn't diagnosed with epilepsy until 21 with that gran mal seizure.

Crashed on my bike a little over a week ago and ended up with a killer concussion. CT scan found some bleeding in the brain and kept me overnight. Thankfully a CT scan the next day cleared everything up and they sent me home. I had horrible visions of needing the exact surgery I had as an infant all night and then end up retarded to some degree afterwards. ER doc was amazed that I made through the crash w/o tons of scrapes, bruises and still had my teeth intact. She said my helmet saved me from cracking my head open or fracturing my skull.

I figure God's not ready for me yet but I wish he'd leave my brain out of the equation.

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by foo bar baz View Post
    BTW, god has nothing to do w/ you being alive, you're just lucky.
    You'll get a warm reception here...
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

chainpain
    Feb 2005
    I still believe God has a purpose for
    Any more ppl who haven't figured out any purpose?

mtbr member
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA- THIS GUY SAID THE SAME THING

mtbr member
    I came much closer than I like last summer to either death or a severe lifelong cognitive impairment. I was riding the Oregon coast (touring bikes) with my girlfriend and two friends. An RVer tried to pass me in a narrow section of road and miss judged my speed. The result was a traumatic brain injury, broken collarbone, loss of a great deal of skin, a terrified girlfriend, friends and family, and a severely smashed helmet (that saved my life).

Somehow, I miraculously recovered with little lasting effects. After this accident I cannot stress enough the importance of wearing a helmet anytime you bike. If I didnt have one, I would be dead for sure.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Wow, dude! Props for sticking to it and recovering! Feels good to be alive, eh?

mtbr member
    As I plod toward senility, I find my self remembering the lucky twists of fate that could just as easily have twisted the other way. Last week, out of the blue, I remembered being 14 and playing driveway football with a couple of friends. I was about to make a catch at the end of the driveway when the guy covering me yelled and grabbed me. I was actually a few feet into the street, and a car was screeching to a stop in front of me. My belt buckle scratched the car as it slid by.

We all have had these moments, whether we know it or not.
    Last edited by Gasp4Air; 05-07-2012 at 05:22 AM.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    never really almost died in the way most of you have, but had a lot of close calls and near misses (literally)

when i was 8 we got T-boned by an 18 wheeler in a dodge colt. i was sleeping with my head against the window on the side that got hit. all i remember is waking up covered in blood, then waking up again in the ER with the dr digging pieces of auto glass out of my scalp. long night.

in iraq it was a pretty constant threat. folks kept hiding bombs in the street, throwing grenades out of windows, sometimes they would go old-school and just shoot at us. had bullets miss me close enough to feel the puff of air on my cheek. had an IED go off right under the seat of my humvee - it blew out 3 tires, blew off the hood and both mirrors, and peppered the underside with shrapnel. nobody had a scratch on them and we STILL drove it back. definitely said my prayers that night.
    then there were the mortor attacks, which is kind of like a morbid game of keno.

Quote Originally Posted by Johan_Eickmeyer View Post
    Feels good to be alive, eh?
    Damn straight it does.

KoNa KiD
    Apr 2007
    my Haste almost took me out...

A chic clipped my rear end going thru a traffic light, totalled car, insurance company told me i could get some parts off the car. I went to the lot,only a few mins before they closed, the day before my car was to be hauled off.

I grabbed the spare tire jack and lifted the car up. slid under the car, hands over my head reaching for an o2 sensor when i looked up...."self...did that just move?" and about a second later i had a car sitting on top of me.

My mom and buddy were the only ones there, we were way in the back and everyone was almost gone becasue they closed in 5 mins. For some odd reason i stayed calm as can be and asked them to pick up on the feneder so i could breathe, they did this once, but as i let air out the car came down a little further on my chest. it was sitting directly on the middle of my chest. i could hear my mom panicing BAD (i mean her 24 year old sun is about to die in front of her and i think she knew it) my buddy was frantically tryin to get the jack back under the car but i just told him to pull up on the fender so i could breathe.....well this is going on for around 20 seconds, im starting to have "smoke" in my vision. it was like i had haze or smoke coming over my vision, i could still see fine it was just as if i was looking through a smoke screen.

About that time, i kindda started to go out, had this imense pain starting in my chest and my eyes were getting really cloudy, i was kindda giving up hope. out of nowhere i hear a car door slam and i have this sudden rush of life back when this random big guy in a full suit runs over and pulls up on the car with my friend, mom and him. i came out from under the car and said thanks to this guy "you just saved my life i didnt have much more time under there." He just stood there, looked at me, Smiled and got back in his car without uttering the first word and drove off.

Trama Dr's said i shoulda died. when i told them about the weird "smoke" in my eyes, 2 broken blood vesels around my eye's; that should have been enough pressure to rupture my heart valves. they said the pain i was feeling in my chest were my heart valves being stressed and shoulda cut lose. two brooken ribs and bruised both my lungs...but i was fine....Bottom line that guy in suit and tie saved my life, big man upstairs wasnt done with me yet.
    Pedalshop
    [SIZE="4"]Transition Bike Co.[/SIZE]

dont touch the dirt

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Interesting question. Been spit off a few dirt and road bikes, broken bones, narrowed disks, had menengitis, thats a good way to get 2 weeks off for R & R. But never really pondered it until my son rode over the edge at Salmon falls. He went down about 20 feet and tangled in a tree. Worst scare I have ever had seeing those tracks go over that edge. If he hadn't tangled in that tree it would have been rocks another 10 feet below. He was good and beat up, broken helmet, glasses, and a chunk of ear missing but over all in good shape.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    OK, I am far from a religious person. Few things piss me off more than evangelical freaks. But one of those things is people who can't let other people believe what they want. Negative rep your way, and I signed it so there's no confusion where it came from. And made this public. Don't be a troll man. Doesn't hurt you if people want to believe what they want to believe.

Aside from that... amazing stories guys. Glad you're all still alive and kicking. Hopefully those of you still recovering can get to a point you are satisfied with.

As for my story.. wife and I were driving to Nashville, TN to see our new born nephew. Pitch black still at 5 am, 10 below zero in OKC at the time. Dude ran a red light and hit our car going 50 mph. Struck my front quarter panel. Wife broke her sternum and some ribs, and I still have lingering neck and back issues from it (2.5 years ago). BUT, had he hit a milisecond later, it would have been my door. Judging by the fact that the entire front of our car was "wiped" off, I can't imagine what it and I would look like had it hit my door.

Even as it was, people couldn't believe Jennifer and I were able to crawl out of the car. I got out and after making sure Jennifer was OK, I ran over to see if the other guy was OK. He got out denying responsibility immediately. That was literally his answer to me asking if he was ok. Friggin jerk wad.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast