Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 251 to 278 of 278
  1. #251
    Mr. Chaos Theory
    Reputation: JonnyB76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    95
    It's called collateral damage, if she hadn't had the treatment she more then likely would not be here, no matter how much prayer there was. I'm no fan of the 10 different kinds of treatment I went through but I appreciate the fact I'm still here because of it! And prayers and positive karma don't hurt!

    Sent by homing missile from my HTC one M8
    WeLcOmE tO tHe CoLlEcTiVe.

    2016 Spec. Fat Boy Trail
    2009 Pivot Mach 5
    Base of Operations NH USA

  2. #252
    Maaaaan
    Reputation: Ericmopar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    4,183
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzle View Post
    Yay! Nice bikes guys. I'm so happy for you JonnyB. You too Joe.

    Still struggling with the withdrawal symptoms so I don't ride MTB much.

    I bummed that I have to go for brain MRI's every 6 months for 3 more years when I thought I was at the 1 year mark.

    Good news is I'm looking for a new ride for next year. Life is still good
    and planning for more

    Happy Trails.
    Keep going Fuzzlenator.
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

  3. #253
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    18,548
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyB76 View Post
    I'm kicking ass and taking names! In August the wife let me get a Specialized Fat Boy Trail for our 10th wedding anniversary present! I went back to work full time on September 11th and my one year PET/CT was clean as a whistle! And I got the green light for riding on glorious single track!

    Sent by homing missile from my HTC one M8
    Congrats on the new wheels, and even more congrats on getting the green light to ride singletrack! Man, was I happy when I got the green light to do what I wanted.

    Quote Originally Posted by misterbill View Post
    My wife and I have a running argument(sort of). She had at least 20 churches praying for her. I say it was the prayers and the radiation. She has nothing good to say about radiation. Think it messed up her heart, got really bad veins in her legs she needed surgery for(the radiation messed up the valves in the veins)and her leg was very very sore for probably four years. They removed 'most' of the tumor, they had to scrape it off of a nerve or something. I do not deny that she is a HUGE miracle, but she has nothing good to say about any kind of cancer treatments.
    Unfortunately, you're both somewhat right. Yeah, the radiation probably did at least part of the work of keeping her around. But radiation is no joke when it comes to side effects/collateral damage. My docs had it on the list for me, but when I responded well to chemo, they held back. I was able to keep the side effects from chemo mostly under control so I handled that well. It's not so easy to do that for the side effects of radiation, and for me, it would have been full brain radiation. THAT would have had some problematic collateral damage.

  4. #254
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    18,548
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzle View Post
    Yay! Nice bikes guys. I'm so happy for you JonnyB. You too Joe.

    Still struggling with the withdrawal symptoms so I don't ride MTB much.

    I bummed that I have to go for brain MRI's every 6 months for 3 more years when I thought I was at the 1 year mark.

    Good news is I'm looking for a new ride for next year. Life is still good
    and planning for more

    Happy Trails.
    That's definitely not as rough as it could be. Just think of it this way: at least those MRI's aren't painful (minus the noise).

  5. #255
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fuzzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    538
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericmopar View Post
    Keep going Fuzzlenator.
    Eric, The fact that you are around for me to mentally torment is what keeps me going .

    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    That's definitely not as rough as it could be. Just think of it this way: at least those MRI's aren't painful (minus the noise).
    So very true my friend .

  6. #256
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    91
    I went on a long trail trip into the forest sometime in september. I didn't bring nearly enough food (lesson learned). As I was heading back home I was seriously fatigued at the point where I couldn't pedal my bike anymore. I was on the verge of passing out. I think I walked around 3km before I spotted a blueberry field. Put my bike down and filled my water bottle up with blueberries. Gave me enough power to pedal out of the woods and to the nearest pizza place as it was closer than going all the way home. Ate an entire medium pepperoni pizza in 10 minutes. Doesn't sound too bad, but I was pretty scared I wouldn't make it home that day.

    Also nearly died from an asthma attack as a kid when I hadn't been diagnosed. Luckily I'm nearly symptom free today as long as I work out.

    Doesn't compare to all the stories in this thread though. Makes you realize how mortal we all are and how valuable each one of us are. Glad to see you guys still shredding trails or roads or whatevever floats your boat hehe.

  7. #257
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fuzzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    538
    Quote Originally Posted by Reallytho View Post
    I went on a long trail trip into the forest sometime in september. I didn't bring nearly enough food (lesson learned). As I was heading back home I was seriously fatigued at the point where I couldn't pedal my bike anymore. I was on the verge of passing out. I think I walked around 3km before I spotted a blueberry field. Put my bike down and filled my water bottle up with blueberries. Gave me enough power to pedal out of the woods and to the nearest pizza place as it was closer than going all the way home. Ate an entire medium pepperoni pizza in 10 minutes. Doesn't sound too bad, but I was pretty scared I wouldn't make it home that day.

    Also nearly died from an asthma attack as a kid when I hadn't been diagnosed. Luckily I'm nearly symptom free today as long as I work out.

    Doesn't compare to all the stories in this thread though. Makes you realize how mortal we all are and how valuable each one of us are. Glad to see you guys still shredding trails or roads or whatevever floats your boat hehe.

    Hi Reallytho ,

    I said the same thing when I first posted here. You had a life threatening experience and you shouldn't minimize it. It's good that you came on here to shared your story. Now someone else can learn from your experience.

    Pepperoni pizza actually sounds pretty good now .

  8. #258
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    269
    3 times I have flied off from passenger seat of the car when car rolls over, each time my heart had stop but I have been revived, odds are quite small for that, but in my life everything seem to have small odds.

    Twice stabbed to chest, bleed quite badly and woke up in hospital.

    Strangled to concussion more than 50 times when kid, my childhood was not very nice, but for some reason I refused to die.

    ATV accident where 3 wheeler rolled over and rolled with it, after I woke up, I noticed broken arm, bruises cuts and my head touching flat rock where were marks of 3 wheeler landing hard.

    Once I had a girlfriend, one true love, we were walking at side of road, all of sudden I found myself at the ditch and my arm was hurting, some drunk with motorbike had decided to have fun on twisty road and hit my girlfriend that died immediately, of course drunk did not get even jail time from that.

    Someone might say I'm incredibly lucky, I say that if there is hell, I must be quite close to it.
    Trek 3700 Disc, frame, wheelset, seatpost, handlebar, fork and rear brake original, rest is upgraded.

  9. #259
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    26
    Omg I'm so sorry for your life experiences. You deserve for life to get easier.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #260
    mtbr dismember
    Reputation: Wherewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,992

    Sorry I have to post here again

    I'm lucky to be alive after a fall at Tahoe yesterday. Instead of re-posting here, here is the story.

  11. #261
    Mr. Chaos Theory
    Reputation: JonnyB76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    95
    Holy Shit!! I'd say that counts!

    Sent by homing missile from my HTC one M8
    WeLcOmE tO tHe CoLlEcTiVe.

    2016 Spec. Fat Boy Trail
    2009 Pivot Mach 5
    Base of Operations NH USA

  12. #262
    Mr. Chaos Theory
    Reputation: JonnyB76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    95
    Anyone got a new near death experience! Currently I'm living the dream with my fatty!

    Sent by homing missile from my HTC one M8
    WeLcOmE tO tHe CoLlEcTiVe.

    2016 Spec. Fat Boy Trail
    2009 Pivot Mach 5
    Base of Operations NH USA

  13. #263
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    269
    Good to see, I am also living the dream on the fat bike, just passed my 2 year post transplant mark a couple of weeks ago. Keep it rollin!!

  14. #264
    Magically Delicious
    Reputation: Cleared2land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    4,177
    We are most fortunate to be enjoying this sport given some of the possible consequences.

    Safe Journeys everyone!
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

    Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

  15. #265
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fuzzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    538
    I did something really stupid Monday. I went for my 6 month MRI. I've had good scans from my radiation treatment in 2013 from a benign brain tumor.

    The last visit with my oncologist he said the tumor may have shrank when back when I had my first check up. He didnt admit for a while.

    So back to the dumb thing I did. When I was leaving from my MRI and passing the monitor I looked back when I told myself not to.

    I looked like it grew! I has the contrast so it was a clear image. I remember seeing a large black thing which looked like it may have grown a bit.

    I this puppy grows I will have to see a specialist. The tumor is lying on my sagiittal sinus which is a like major artery. There is also lots of scar tissue. This wood be my fourth surgery. The good is the sinus could be blocked off and the only issue could be scar tissue.

    If it not blocked I would need a bypass. This could be risky.

    I'm the paranoid black and white thinker. Worst case scenario kind of person who always goes to the dark place so here is my worst fear.

    Death is not what scares me most. Of course I don't want to see other suffer or die.

    My own is not the issue. It's being diabled and being a burden to my husband and having my kids suffer too.

    Of course thay want me around and that's selfish of me to rather not be here. I see others over come being disabled but a stroke if nut treated well could not be good.

    I've seen it all so I get images that won't leave me.

    So back to what I saw. The dark spot which looked bigger. was it a tumor or something else?

    One of the people who was assisting the tech said I was seeing the metal plates. She claims it was so the Radiologist could see where that are. I've had health care professionals be wrong before.

    I googled this yesterday and couldn't find any evidence of this. I looked up images and saw only tissue and lesions. No metal plates on a MRI.

    I see the RO at !0:00. I writing this to vent.

    Thanks for having this thread brave ones.

    (((HUGS)))!

    - Carolyn

  16. #266
    Magically Delicious
    Reputation: Cleared2land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    4,177
    ^^^^^ May the force be with you. Heart and soul.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

    Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

  17. #267
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    200
    ^^^^ mris are very difficult to read. even as a trained ER doc i cannot always discern what im looking at. not a good move to look at the images without radiology. you are probably just freaking yourself out.

    good luck

    Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

  18. #268
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fuzzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    538
    Quote Originally Posted by shoal View Post
    ^^^^ mris are very difficult to read. even as a trained ER doc i cannot always discern what im looking at. not a good move to look at the images without radiology. you are probably just freaking yourself out.

    good luck

    Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for so much for your quick response. It was a comfort. Everything is ok.

    To be honest my RO has always left me worried by giving me mixed messages.

    The people around me during the MRI acting like something was wrong really didn't help.

    This time the visit was more and positive and I got some questions answered. Now I can move forward.

  19. #269
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    921
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzle View Post
    Thanks for so much for your quick response. It was a comfort. Everything is ok.

    To be honest my RO has always left me worried by giving me mixed messages.

    The people around me during the MRI acting like something was wrong really didn't help.

    This time the visit was more and positive and I got some questions answered. Now I can move forward.
    Glad to hear the visit was more positive. Our hopes and prayers are still with you.

  20. #270
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    18,548
    always stay away from Dr. Google. Dr. Google will only ever make you more worried.

    I have all of my old brain MRI scans on a DVD for giggles. I couldn't tell you what my doctors considered a lesion or not, and it's been pointed out to me before. For months, my doctors were also pretty wishy-washy on giving any kinds of conclusions. All I was ever clear about was that not all of them agreed. So when they finally did agree that it was nothing of concern anymore, I could put it out of my mind completely.

    But up until then, I had to make a conscious decision every day not to worry about it. If anything, worrying creates more problems than it solves (seriously, worrying releases all kinds of stress hormones that have negative repercussions over the long term).

  21. #271
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fuzzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    538
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    always stay away from Dr. Google. Dr. Google will only ever make you more worried.

    I have all of my old brain MRI scans on a DVD for giggles. I couldn't tell you what my doctors considered a lesion or not, and it's been pointed out to me before. For months, my doctors were also pretty wishy-washy on giving any kinds of conclusions. All I was ever clear about was that not all of them agreed. So when they finally did agree that it was nothing of concern anymore, I could put it out of my mind completely.

    But up until then, I had to make a conscious decision every day not to worry about it. If anything, worrying creates more problems than it solves (seriously, worrying releases all kinds of stress hormones that have negative repercussions over the long term).
    Thanks for the good advice Harold .

    Yeah, what's up with that wishy washy bull? This morning I finally heard what I needed to hear after 3 years of agony . So I am not worried anymore.

    I wish I had it in me not to worry. Even though I'm not worried about my tiny little pea brain anymore I'm sure I will find something else to worry about by tomorrow .

  22. #272
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    951
    [QUOTE=Wherewolf;12271054]I'm lucky to be alive after a fall at Tahoe yesterday. Instead of re

    Oh, this makes me sad in light of his recent passing.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

  23. #273
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    150
    Excellent thread! Some real inspirational stories on here.

    Myself, I had a DVT in my calf about four years ago. I didn't realize what it was...thought I tore something, so I kept training on it (running, etc). Well the pain eventually went away after two weeks, then shortness of breath came while exercising. At the time I was in great shape so I thought...this is weird. I pushed through that for a week before deciding to go to the ER. Lucky I did, I had a bilateral pulmonary embolism, with partially collapsed lungs on the bottom. I had never even heard of such a thing, come to find out it's the third leading killer in the U.S.

    I was put on Coumadin and I was told I was extremely lucky to even be alive. Coumadin is a ***** of a drug to monitor, you have to avoid eating foods with vitamin K, and you have to avoid alcohol...two things I didn't like doing. And if I ever crashed my mountain bike there was a good chance I'd die...and crashing is something I do very well. I took myself off the Coumadin 9 months ago...so far so good...I pray it stays that way.

    They also found lung nodules during my cat scan, that scared the crap out of me. I had to go back for cat scans every 6 months to see if they would grow. They didn't.

    I find that when something like this happens to you, it changes you. At least it did for me - and not all of it was positive - I became scared for my health for the first time in my life...and I still am. Google has become my worst nightmare...every ache is investigated by a Google search...and every Google search makes you think you're dying. I will say that I don't take anything for granted anymore, I live for today.

  24. #274
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LaloKera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Doublebase View Post
    Excellent thread! Some real inspirational stories on here.

    Myself, I had a DVT in my calf about four years ago. I didn't realize what it was...thought I tore something, so I kept training on it (running, etc). Well the pain eventually went away after two weeks, then shortness of breath came while exercising. At the time I was in great shape so I thought...this is weird. I pushed through that for a week before deciding to go to the ER. Lucky I did, I had a bilateral pulmonary embolism, with partially collapsed lungs on the bottom. I had never even heard of such a thing, come to find out it's the third leading killer in the U.S.

    I was put on Coumadin and I was told I was extremely lucky to even be alive. Coumadin is a ***** of a drug to monitor, you have to avoid eating foods with vitamin K, and you have to avoid alcohol...two things I didn't like doing. And if I ever crashed my mountain bike there was a good chance I'd die...and crashing is something I do very well. I took myself off the Coumadin 9 months ago...so far so good...I pray it stays that way.

    They also found lung nodules during my cat scan, that scared the crap out of me. I had to go back for cat scans every 6 months to see if they would grow. They didn't.

    I find that when something like this happens to you, it changes you. At least it did for me - and not all of it was positive - I became scared for my health for the first time in my life...and I still am. Google has become my worst nightmare...every ache is investigated by a Google search...and every Google search makes you think you're dying. I will say that I don't take anything for granted anymore, I live for today.
    . You mentioning Google reminded me.

    I was invincible until I was 31.
    Had an emergency where my heart started racing at past 200bpm and would not stop.
    Ended up in the ER and Iong story short, spent 2 years after that with shot nerves. I recall that a beer once sent me to the hospital I was that bad. Spent those two years constantly on Google trying to diagnose every small pain I felt and Landed in ER maybe 4 times in that time span. Thought I was dying.
    Then I got back on my bike and everything is good now. Anxiety is a *****.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

  25. #275
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    27,320
    Google can be your best friend but can also be your worst enemy.

    Don't believe everything you read on the Internet. Especially when it comes to your health issues.
    Front Range, Colorado.

  26. #276
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    71
    I may as well add to this. I had open heart surgery at 18 months. Not sure how close I was to dying, but surgery like that on that on a weaker-than-normal baby surely had its set of risks. I still have a scar about 12" long on my chest. I still feel the staples sometimes they used to close my up. The kicker is the doctors told me I wouldn't have to worry about my kids potentially inheriting the condition that caused me to have my surgery. Low and behold, my wife got pregnant with twins, one of them came out with a hole in her heart, same thing I had. We got very fortunate however with her, the hole was small enough and closed on its own and never required surgery.

    A few years later I developed severe epilepsy. I think this actually got closer to causing real damage. I remember waking up in the middle of the night and telling my mom I had seen a ghost. Next thing I remember I woke up in ah helicopter being flown to one of the biggest hospitals in the state, complaining about the oxygen mask. Turns out I never actually woke up thinking I had seen a ghost, that part was in my head. Don't know what actually happened. I was on medication for the next 5 or 6 years and the doctors told me I would be on it for life. I had a few more seizures, but eventually they subsided and I was able to get off medication around 13 I think. The only long term effect is they advised against contact sports, aka football, which was kind of a bummer, but in hindsight was a small price to pay compared to what could have happened.

  27. #277
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    453
    I have two stories. Neither is anywhere near as bad as some of these. You guys are all awesome to be sure. Keep on keeping on...

    First is a short one. The trails I was riding wound around a mountain and when you got to the top there was an old pavilion surrounded by weeds that the locals called Witch Hat because of the shape of the roof. From there you can hit a number of spots around the mountain. (Neversink Mtn in Reading, PA) I spent about 4 hours riding around the various trails and I decided to head back. One way takes you across a hard packed clay lot for a local building dump. (used bricks, wood, glass, concrete etc) Well it was 95*F that day and I decided to cut across this lot. It was several hundred yards across from where I came out to where the trail picked up again. The clay acted like a heat reflector and by the time I was halfway across I felt myself get weak, my vision blurred, I got very dizzy, and I felt like my head was boiling. I recognized the signs as heat exhaustion or stroke and luckily there was a shady tree spot nearby that I could crash under. I did that and poured most of my Camelbak over my head. That was enough to cool me down. I walked through the shady areas as much as I could and it was a nice easy descent back to my car where I camped out in the AC for a while. I was sick for the next day or two and could not stop pounding water. I believe that if I'd tried to push through I would've passed out and cooked right there.

    The second one was a time I crashed my bike at fairly high speed and ended up leaving by helo. It was at DirtFest 2014 at the Allegripis trails at Raystown lake in Pennsylvania. That's a fairly large local festival with bike demos, food, camping etc. A lot of people came from all over. I'd completed 1 loop on my bike and I wanted to demo something. Nothing I wanted was available so I went for a second loop about an hour later. There is a very fast and swoopy trail there with rollers and such called Osprey. I was on an XC HT and not familiar with some of the features there. I'm not sure what happened. I think I managed to lock my front brake and endo. (old st of M535s at the time) I have a vague memory of falling off to the left.

    My memories begin as the EMTs closed the ambulance door. I did a spot check by moving my feet and feeling what hurt or was bleeding. They asked me questions etc. The EMT working on me told me I was out for 8-10 minutes, and barely awake until they slammed the door. I had trail rash all over and bruises on my knees, butt, elbows etc. I had a gash from above my left eye down along half my eyebrow to just about the middle or below my eye.

    They flew me to Altoona, PA, about an hour or so away by car, and I got 5 scans. They wouldn't let me move until they came back and I really had to pee. The dye they use didn't help that at all. There was no way to do so without making a mess even with one of the external bottles they give you. Funny but it was actually more painful than the head injury at the time. Adrenaline for the win there.

    All told I walked out of there with 5 stitches, a monster headache, and a huge bill. The concussion set in fully on the long ride home. My head hurt so bad I was crying. That's how amped up on adrenaline I must've been. I was actually euphoric for the whole trip until then.

    IF I had not been wearing my helmet I would've been dead or a veggie for sure. When we got back, stopping to let me barf a few times, I took a percoset and crashed in bed for a while. That helped a lot.

    Later I got my bike back (no real damage!!) and looked at my helmet. It had a nice dent on the lower left of the helmet and it was covered in blood. (2 yrs later I still have the helmet complete with dried blood. It's a war trophy. I replaced it with a better one right away) My guess is the helmet took the brunt and then slid up just enough for my head to plant and slide on the ground a little bit causing the gash and the head injury. Again if I had not been wearing the helmet I think I'd be dead. I got very lucky as it was with being able to walk out of the hospital that same day. I get headaches now and then behind the spot where my head hit the dirt. (upper left orbital) I have a barely noticeable scar there and luckily my eye brow grew back fully. No real feeling along the scar line but I don't miss that. It took me a while to get back on the bike and to feel secure on it again but that is to be expected.

    So both potentials could've been my fault. Aside from some car accident close calls that's it for me. Not too bad in the end but pretty scary or painful at the time.

  28. #278
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jfudge02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    198

    The "I almost died" Thread

    I don't see any reason to ever ride without a mx helmet and full chest armor/ leg pads. Yesterday I fell over after uncoupling the wrong foot on an steep uphill b**** that I just barely stopped short on. Didn't wear my elbow pads. Now I have a scrape and a bruise, and all because I had a "this is an easy trail I've done many times" cocky thought after doing Telonics beforehand.
    I understand this is not near death, i don't hero on exposed trails and haven't been biking that long so havent had a chance to almost die yet other than almost hitting trees at high speed.. But in my experience it's the dumb everyday mishaps that end up being the most annoying on the daily.

    Anyways. Pads pads pads it's just dumb not to-- I've never trusted those half head helmets to stay on properly during a crash.. And even if it does you still risk facial reconstructive surgery

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •