Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    since 4/10/2009
    Not me...but a LOT of parallels with my story. I'm sure a number of others here will relate.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    Dying is about the scariest reality, for a Mountain Biker. In 2004 - we lost fellow biker, who happened to be a veteran 15-year rider, with tons of experience. A simple high-speed front wheel washout sent our friend into a dead Manzanita tree, and underlying bushes. A stray branch gored him through his neck, severing his jugular. Helplessly watch him bleed-out was a humbling experience....
    Wow! Sorry for your loss and traumatic experience.
    Front Range, Colorado.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Not me...but a LOT of parallels with my story. I'm sure a number of others here will relate.

Yes, been there, done that. Except later in life. Heartbreaking for young kids like this. I do believe with the new imuneo therapy drugs they are on the verge of a cure.

Just Ride
    Mar 2014

Great Video
    To have lived without passion, adventure, and thrill, is to never lived at all!!! YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm coming up on the 2 year anniversary of my little mishap. I was riding on a single track that traversed a steep hillside. There was lots of debris on the trail. I got concerned and slowed down to be extra careful. Unfortunately, that robbed me of momentum and I went over. The bike and I parted company almost instantly. I slid downhill on my back. My backpack saved my back and my helmet saved my head. I kept expecting that bushes or a tree would stop me, but I found the only bare spot on the mountain to fall. Other riders worked their way down to me. One applied a tourniquet above my right knee as I had a huge gash on my leg. We debated whether I could make it to the trail and then to a nearby spot from which I could either walk out or otherwise. However because of the way I was on the hillside, I risked sliding much further. One of the riders had cell service and called for help. I was airlifted from where I lay to a trauma hospital.

I got real lucky.

I still ride, but not single track traversing steep hills. I seem to be as strong as before. My leg is still swollen.

I was very lucky.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator

Near-Death Crash

I Became suddenly unclipped, descending @18mph, down a narrow mountain ridge. My saddle was at full, fixed extension(no dropper yet). The loss of balance sent my high saddle straight into my abdomen, with the unclipped leg helplessly dangling behind. Now weaving like an out-of-control snake - I struggled to regain steering control, as I saw a 150 foot dropoff fast approaching. I had no choice but to lay my beloved carbon bike down, in the prone "Superman" position. My right hand struck a jagged rock outcropping at speed, fingers first, ripping my middle finger clean off the #2 knuckle socket, as I initiated an Akido-style barrel roll. Once I stood up - I noticed the middle right finger dangling off the skin. Without thinking twice - I played stat chiropractor and jammed the wayward digit back into it's socket before the onset of swelling would make it nearly impossible to fix later. My body had road rash like a huge rotary cheese grater made a pass at my shoulders, knees, elbows and ribs. I was off the bike for a full month, recovering.

Next morning, the middle finger swelled to 4x it's normal size, looking like Jabba-the-Hut. After analyzing that crash over and over in my head - I realized a seat dropper would have greatly mitigated the circumstances. After trying nearly a dozen dropper posts, I got the KS LEV DX.The "I almost died" Thread-finger_jam.jpg
    "The ONLY person who needs to race.....is the entrant"

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Riding a small mountain road 13 years ago. Sixteen year old new driver came around a blind corner on the wrong side of the road and hit me head on while I was on my road bicycle. Ouch! Major back surgery later and I'm back on the bike. No more riding on the road for me. I don't even own a road bike any longer.

I was sitting in the ER with my family around me, bleeding all over the place with many doctors around me wondering if I'd walk again, just grateful I'm still alive.

Close call. Reality set in when my three year old Son (we also had a six month old Son as well at the time) told me to be strong.

Glad everyone on this thread are still alive and slaying some single track.

Al

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    kinda counts, when I was about 6 I was bike riding with my dad on the side walk and I ended up hitting a sign and getting thrown into the road right when a car was coming by, they slammed their brakes and the tire stopped about a foot from my head.

Think we all crapped ourselves lol

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    When I was eight or nine, I had a seizure while swimming in a local lake, luckily I was wearing a life jacket. All I remember is waking up in a neighbors boat, and then in an ambulance

Mr. Chaos Theory
    9/11/2015 is my one year Mark post transplant! And on that day I can return to slaying single track!! On my new 2016 Specialized Fat Boy Trail!! Boo Yah!! Let's get some more brushes with death!!

Sent by homing missile from my HTC one M8
    WeLcOmE tO tHe CoLlEcTiVe.

2016 Spec. Fat Boy Trail
    2009 Pivot Mach 5
    Base of Operations NH USA

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I was wondering how you were doing, congrats on the one year mark. I'm 20 months post transplant and feel great, still have some gvhd problems like dry eyes, and occasional stomach problems but can't complain.

You're gonna love the fatboy, I bought a Yampa and its all I ride anymore.

Mr. Chaos Theory
    I'm doing ECP/pohotophresis for skin GVHD. I can't wait for the Fat Boy to land!! So looking forward to it!! Glad things are going ok with you too!!

2016 Spec. Fat Boy Trail
    2009 Pivot Mach 5

Raleigh
    At 16, I heard doctors tell me "you're never going to walk again", and then at 38, I heard "you shouldn't be alive right now".

I walked into urgent care one Sat morning, and said I had a weird feeling in my chest.

Turned out that I had "widowmaker" heart attack - four blockages in my arteries, two at 70% and two at 100% (which required stents). Doctors were amazed that I was alive, let alone came walking in as I did while it was happening.

Genetic predisposition sucks.

since 4/10/2009
    Great to hear you're doing well, JohnnyB76!

You, too, joeduda.

woodchips, that's really frightening. A friend of mine just recently had some heart trouble. She was having some scar tissue buildup on some stents that were placed years ago, but she was starting to have some of the early "heart attack" symptoms - thankfully, that's not what she actually had. She was terrified that her cardiac health was regressing after her huge gains in losing weight and building fitness through running and biking.

bust a move
    Last edited by 2ridealot; 08-20-2015 at 07:45 PM.

Raleigh
    Great to hear you're doing well, JohnnyB76!

You, too, joeduda.

woodchips, that's really frightening. A friend of mine just recently had some heart trouble. She was having some scar tissue buildup on some stents that were placed years ago, but she was starting to have some of the early "heart attack" symptoms - thankfully, that's not what she actually had. She was terrified that her cardiac health was regressing after her huge gains in losing weight and building fitness through running and biking.
    So, she's doing fine now, right?

I get regular checkups, and things have been great for 10yrs, but stent issues happen. Maybe I will be fortunate, and not experience any issues.

Mr. Chaos Theory
    Yikes Woodchips! That would make me crap my pants! Last thing i need now is a problem with my ticker! And thanks guys im so stoked to be able to get the Fat Boy Trail And get back on single track!! I'm doing awesome, not 100% but a hell of a lot better than right after transplant! Still sure im gonna need an o2 mask for hills but we'll cross that gap when we need too.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

2016 Spec. Fat Boy Trail
    2009 Pivot Mach 5

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I think you will be pleasantly surprised how well you will do when you get back out there. I know I was. I lost so much damn weight that the hills were a whole lot easier. Let us know how it goes.

Mr. Chaos Theory
    Joe I'm 50lbs lighter but I permanently lost 40% of my lungs capacity from radiation Pneumonitis. My o2 saturation takes a massive hit when I'm really pushing it. I have been riding on paved rail trail. 7+ miles each time! But no crazy hills.

2016 Spec. Fat Boy Trail
    2009 Pivot Mach 5

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Damn it man, sorry to hear that, I didn't have to go through the radiation, just very aggressive chemo. But any riding is better than none for sure, every ones a bonus!! And that fatboy is just gonna make each one even better.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by woodchips View Post
    So, she's doing fine now, right?

I get regular checkups, and things have been great for 10yrs, but stent issues happen. Maybe I will be fortunate, and not experience any issues.
    She's okay. Her fitness took a hit while she recovers from her recent procedure though. Mostly scared and fighting some heavy discouragement.

Mr. Chaos Theory
    Joe trust me I ride like a lunatic! Harold I'll send some Positive Karma to your friend!

2016 Spec. Fat Boy Trail
    2009 Pivot Mach 5

Raleigh
    She's okay. Her fitness took a hit while she recovers from her recent procedure though. Mostly scared and fighting some heavy discouragement.
    Glad she seems to be doing fine, physically... but I will throw some good mental vibes her way! I know if I think too much, I can scare the crap out of myself...

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I was almost murdered when my wife found out how much I spent on my last bike.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

Mr. Chaos Theory
    Nice 1 Curveball! I think we have all experienced that one😉

2016 Spec. Fat Boy Trail
    2009 Pivot Mach 5

mtbr member

Hello!

I'm so glad I found this thread!!! I will try to keep this short.

First of all, you guys are such an inspiration to me. I really loved hearing your stories.

In 2008 I was diagnosed with a benign brain tumor which almost killed me because it was huge!!!

Long story short they couldn't get it all because it was pushing up against a major sinus. If they cut it I would not be here. The first surgery was very risky.

Even though these tumors are benign they like to grow. Since they couldn't get it all it started to grow. 3 years ago I had 2 more surgeries and radiation. I lost a lot of hair but now I have a collection of fabulous wigs...ha ha!

I recovered from the surgeries but sufferer bad PTSD which started soon after the first surgery. I was prescribed Ativan which I became dependent on, developed a tolerance too and I'm sickly all the time.

I took Ativan all these years not knowing it was addictive. Stupid doctors never told me. I'm tapering off now and I crossed over to Valium because it is longer acting but, I feel sooo sick, anxious and tired all the time it's even hard to work.

These medications you have to taper very slow and it takes forever.

I'm at the 3 year mark since my radiation. I have MRI's every 6 monthes and can go a year at the 5 year mark.

I have one coming up in a week or two. Yuck!!!

So that's my little story. It's better to share with other riders who seek support in this positive way. I was on a Benzodiazipine withdrawal thread not to long ago.

I don't mean to judge but, many seemed to only focus on the negative aspects of their lives and I was going to that place too.

When I can ride my road or mountain bike for a hour once in a while, it gives me hope and makes me happy. I started road riding back in the 80's so I have a long love affair with this sport.

So now even if I can't ride I can come here.

Thanks for listening

mtbr member
    One more thing...JohnnyB and joeduda, I too am glad to hear you're both doing good. What I'm going through can't compare to you guys and many here. Lot's of stories.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzle View Post
    What I'm going through can't compare to you guys and many here. Lot's of stories.
    Don't diminish your own circumstances by getting caught comparing yourself to others.

Everybody in this thread has been through something that's been extremely difficult and challenging. There are many similarities, but also a lot of differences.

mtbr member
    Thank you Harold .

Mr. Chaos Theory
    Thank you Harold .
    I agree with Harold! By no means is yours any less significant!! Keep your head up and the rubber side down! ✌❤

2016 Spec. Fat Boy Trail
    2009 Pivot Mach 5

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyB76 View Post
    I agree with Harold! By no means is yours any less significant!! Keep your head up and the rubber side down! ✌❤

You guys are are so sweet!!! You made my day ❤

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    One more thing...JohnnyB and joeduda, I too am glad to hear you're both doing good. What I'm going through can't compare to you guys and many here. Lot's of stories.
    thanks Fuzzle, and yes on what Harold and JohnnyB said. We all have our struggles, and oddly enough, if given the chance to go back and have taken mine away I wouldn't do it. Even if it does end up killing me.

I was also taking the Ativan during my treatments but it was for stomach problems, and they also did not tell me it was addictive. Wishing you well, and to keep that tumor under control.

Raleigh
    You guys are are so sweet!!! You made my day ❤
    Your name made my day!

Props to all in this common thread we share - keep kicking ass and taking names, we're not dead yet!

mtbr member
    I agree it's nice to have this thread.

Your right woodchips. We aren't dead yet!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joeduda View Post
    thanks Fuzzle, and yes on what Harold and JohnnyB said. We all have our struggles, and oddly enough, if given the chance to go back and have taken mine away I wouldn't do it. Even if it does end up killing me.

I was also taking the Ativan during my treatments but it was for stomach problems, and they also did not tell me it was addictive. Wishing you well, and to keep that tumor under control.
    I like how you think. Acceptance and realizing everything happens for a reason is key. Now that I'm trying to get back on the bike I will get to the place you guys are. Looking ahead down the trail instead I living in my head...

I agree about the medical challenges. It's made me a better person in many ways.

The Ativan is another story .

mtbr member
    My wife had a tumor on her leg. They told her the smart thing to do would be to cut her leg off but she is going to die anyway so why bother. I think that was six years ago. I don't think in 25 years of being married that I have ever met anyone who didn't like her. We're all glad she is still here.
    I'd rather push my 29er than ride a road bike.

mtbr member
    misterbill , I thought I replied to your post last night but, I still get confused sometimes. I wanted to tell you that your wife is one tough lady. Sounds to me like two will grow very old together .

I hope I didn't post twice. That would be embarrassing .

mtbr member
    Thank you. They decided to give her high dose radiation instead of removing her leg-wanted to make sure I made that clear. I do not communicate very well.

Mr. Chaos Theory
    Misterbill, I had Radiation to my neck. Totally nucked my throat, made swallowing anything, problematic. 😉 Glad it has kept her around! ✌❤

2016 Spec. Fat Boy Trail
    2009 Pivot Mach 5

mtbr member
    Misterbill, I had Radiation to my neck. Totally nucked my throat, made swallowing anything, problematic.  Glad it has kept her around! ✌❤

JonnyB76, I have been thinking about you. How are you?

Mr. Chaos Theory
    I'm kicking ass and taking names! In August the wife let me get a Specialized Fat Boy Trail for our 10th wedding anniversary present! I went back to work full time on September 11th and my one year PET/CT was clean as a whistle! And I got the green light for riding on glorious single track!

2016 Spec. Fat Boy Trail
    2009 Pivot Mach 5

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    That is great news man, glad to hear it!! I bought a Yampa and it is all I ride now, hooked on the fat bike and looking forward some snow riding coming up.

Mr. Chaos Theory

2016 Spec. Fat Boy Trail
    2009 Pivot Mach 5

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Good looking fat boy, here's mine.

mtbr member
    Yay! Nice bikes guys. I'm so happy for you JonnyB. You too Joe.

Still struggling with the withdrawal symptoms so I don't ride MTB much.

I bummed that I have to go for brain MRI's every 6 months for 3 more years when I thought I was at the 1 year mark.

Good news is I'm looking for a new ride for next year. Life is still good
    and planning for more

Happy Trails.

Mr. Chaos Theory
    Kick Ass!! Nothing better than a new ride! ✌❤

2016 Spec. Fat Boy Trail
    2009 Pivot Mach 5

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Yay! Nice bikes guys. I'm so happy for you JonnyB. You too Joe.

Still struggling with the withdrawal symptoms so I don't ride MTB much.

I bummed that I have to go for brain MRI's every 6 months for 3 more years when I thought I was at the 1 year mark.

Good news is I'm looking for a new ride for next year. Life is still good
    and planning for more

Happy Trails.
    I can highly recommend a Borealis . You can make it through those MRI's no problem, more of an inconvenience than anything. I'm down to 3 month visits now to check the blood and finally got my port removed. Hope your symptoms subside quickly so you can get back on the dirt. Thanks to you and JonnyB, you have made my day, happy to see everyone doing well.

mtbr member
    (((hugs)))!

Mr. Chaos Theory
    Right back at ya!!!! ✌❤

2016 Spec. Fat Boy Trail
    2009 Pivot Mach 5

mtbr member
    Misterbill, I had Radiation to my neck. Totally nucked my throat, made swallowing anything, problematic.
    My wife and I have a running argument(sort of). She had at least 20 churches praying for her. I say it was the prayers and the radiation. She has nothing good to say about radiation. Think it messed up her heart, got really bad veins in her legs she needed surgery for(the radiation messed up the valves in the veins)and her leg was very very sore for probably four years. They removed 'most' of the tumor, they had to scrape it off of a nerve or something. I do not deny that she is a HUGE miracle, but she has nothing good to say about any kind of cancer treatments.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast