Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 183
  1. #101
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,450
    i had a heart attack when i was 19. it was drug related,,... i accidentally smoked pcp, it caused an already defective valve in my heart to fail. the defect was from being premature when i was born. anyways, i was always active, in good shape, and all of a sudden i'm smoking a joint and boom i'm dead? i had a lot of anxiety, panic attacks and all that for a long time, and really, bike riding was one of the first things that really cleared my head. i started snowboarding in the winter, anything to keep moving. so 10 years later, i remember it like it was yesterday, and i still shake my head when i think about it. but yeah.. i like bike riding haha i'm glad i'm still here to do it

  2. #102
    Mr. Chaos Theory
    Reputation: JonnyB76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    61

    Bump/Update

    Well it took awhile but i finally had my stem cell transplant last November!
    To get there i had 3 chemo regimes that didn't work and radiation that worked but the cancer went outside the radiation field so we did one more chemo regime that got me to remission finally.
    all said a year and a month of continuous treatment to kill my freaking cancer
    I'm still in my Avoid Human Beings phase since i have no immune system but i did get to remission!
    I have a CAT scan this Wednesday to see if i am still in remission and to check on my lungs since i am suffering Chemo induced Pneumonitis.
    And am on high doses steroids so i can breath (sorta, still no where near 100% working right).
    it's kinda scary when you are in the hospital and they have to give you transfusions of blood because you bone marrow is dead and cant make any of it's own
    but my Stem Cells kicked in with gusto so now i am actually on the high end of normal on my blood count.
    Gotta love modern medicine.
    Hope everyone is enjoying the winter riding and getting out on the trails!
    I have to resign myself to my trek on the trainer o well
    WeLcOmE tO tHe CoLlEcTiVe.

    2009 Pivot Mach 5
    2009 Trek 6K (commuter)
    Base of Operations NH USA

  3. #103
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jmiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    219
    I'm on the trainer too man. Glad to hear about your remission. Here's to a positive attitude and some good old fashioned healing. Hope you're back out on the trails soon.

    Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

  4. #104
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,797
    My thoughts go out to all of you struggling with illness, it has touched my life often, but thankfully not my body as yet. I take note of your courage and hope I may have the same if it did happen to me.

    I have only ever had the usual motorcycle accidents, luckily never being hospitalised for longer than a few days, and still have all my limbs. I did have a small episode one time that could have been tragic tho. I used to sometimes go into the roof of the venues I put concert productions into to help with the high rigging, and one day I went up to help our rigger in the roof in an arena in Germany somewhere. We were sitting face to face on a 6" beam about 70' up, having a breather after some exertion, and the guy I was with up there suddenly had a fit of some kind and passed out. I watched it happen, and just managed to grab under his arm as he started to slide off the beam. I ended up hanging by my free arm to the beam above me, and hanging onto his dead weight with my other. I was screaming down for someone to come help us, but quickly realised that I didn't have the strength to pull him up, and possibly not my own weight either. That was a sobering moment. I thought we were both going down. Seemed like we were hanging for an age, and I toyed with the idea of letting him go to try and save myself, but could not. Thankfully he came round after a minute or two, and helped himself get back up onto the beam proper. He had no recollection of what had happened, and was a little bemused when I told him I had saved his life! I don't think he believed me... Nowadays, riggers are rigorously made to wear a harness. Very sensible.
    It's all Here. Now.

  5. #105
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,632
    Old thread, but great read.

    20+ years ago i am surfing the Swami's break in Encinitas with my cousin. Huge day, waves were overhead when we paddled out but had grown to double overhead during the time we were outside.

    We look at each other and realize we really needed to get out of the water. Waited for a lul in the sets and started paddling in. 20+ years ago and i still remember it like it was yesterday. People up on the cliff start screaming, surfers in the line up start screaming, and i look over my shoulder behind us. Biggest wave i have ever personally seen in my life breaks a good 200 feet outside of where the already huge waves were breaking. A wall of foam, not even slightly kidding, 20' tall rolls towards us.

    When it hit me, it held me under for exactly the amount of air i had in my lungs. I actually reached down and hand over hand reeled in my leash to get to my board and was STILL underwater. When it finally let me up for air i had exactly enough time to suck in ONE lung full of fresh air before the next wave hit me.

    This wave too held me down till that point you are about to take in water. When this wave let me up i again had time for one breath before the third wave hit me. Right when i was about to give up, the wave spit me up onto the beach. I look to my left and my cousin is 10 feet away from me with a look on his face that i am sure mirrored mine.

    Life guards were on the beach pulling surfer after surfer out of the soup. Craziest clean up set ive ever seen, we wernt the only ones who got mauled.

    Closest ive come to death. I still surf, and still love huge waves. Being a far better surfer now, i realize what i did wrong (i stayed up by the surface of the water and let the wave claim me, i should have dived as deep as i could to get under the wave) and how little business two rookie teenagers had out in waves that big.

    Gotta keep moving and doing what you love. One can not let what "might" happen scare you away from living life to its fullest. Good on all of you who have done the same in this thread!

  6. #106
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    756
    In late October last year, I was bitten by an Eastern Brown Snake.

    I was alright initially after being bitten, then a few days later, I went downhill. It took me about 8 weeks before I could walk 100m, without damaging leg muscles. I'm back on the bike now and rebuilding my fitness.

    Did I nearly die? I'm not sure but several doctors think that I dodged a bullet. Eastern Brown Snakes have been responsible for a few deaths, since I was bitten.

    There is one thing that I did learn that day. There is no room for a bike in an ambulance.

    Warren.

  7. #107
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Thatshowiroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,257
    I've been slowly dying since the day I was born.

  8. #108
    MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Reputation: Gigantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,468
    had a very bad roadracing motorcycle accident: serious concussion, broken ribs, collapsed lung, shattered collar bone. First words out of my mouth to the doctor when I came to? "When can I ride?" riding reaffirms life; refusing to get back on the horse, negates it.

  9. #109
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbnozpikr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,684
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyB76 View Post
    all said a year and a month of continuous treatment to kill my freaking cancer
    I'm still in my Avoid Human Beings phase since i have no immune system but i did get to remission!
    That is wonderful news. I do not know you more than from the forums but I think that congratulations is definitely in order. My parents are both doctors so I have been exposed to it through their experiences and discussions growing up. I hope to never have to go through such an ordeal; however, my hat is off to you. Best of luck as you recover and proceed through life.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

  10. #110
    Mr. Chaos Theory
    Reputation: JonnyB76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnozpikr View Post
    That is wonderful news. I do not know you more than from the forums but I think that congratulations is definitely in order. My parents are both doctors so I have been exposed to it through their experiences and discussions growing up. I hope to never have to go through such an ordeal; however, my hat is off to you. Best of luck as you recover and proceed through life.
    Thanks!

    And a Thumbs Up on your fleet of bikes!

    Keep the bikes wheels side down and Hit Those Trails for me while I'm trapped inside everyone!
    WeLcOmE tO tHe CoLlEcTiVe.

    2009 Pivot Mach 5
    2009 Trek 6K (commuter)
    Base of Operations NH USA

  11. #111
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwnhlldav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,026
    I hit a tree while skiing. I was going recklessly fast in the woods, got knocked off my line by funky snow and went full tilt into the tree. If it wasn't for the quick response of the other skiers in the woods and the patrollers I could have very easily died before getting to the hospital. As it was, I had a chest tube put in with no anesthesia because I was very close to circulatory collapse and traumatic arrest.

    They say that going from compensated shock to decompensated shock brings with it strong emotional changes. Basically, you realize you're about to die. After awakening from being knocked out in the initial impact, I never lost consciousness. I remember vividly what is what like when I started decompensating and it was one of the scariest moments I've lived through. I hope not to repeat it anytime soon.

    But I still ride, and ski. I'm a ski patroller now, hoping to pay forward the good work that was done by the patrollers who helped me.
    Disclaimer: I no longer fix bikes for a living.
    National Ski Patroller to feed my winter habit.

  12. #112
    Rep Power: Infinity
    Reputation: NateHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,400

    The "I almost died" Thread

    JohnnyB, maybe your stem cells can give mine a stern kick in the a$$. My platelets are still low more than 3yrs after treatment. They are finally starting to increase, but VERY slowly. I might have 1k more every 6mo. I have an appointment next week to check again

  13. #113
    mtbr member
    Reputation: telemike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    257
    A couple of early morning trips to the ER when I first got asthma as an adult. The second one, my oxygen saturation was under 80% which the doctor described as the steep part of the decline.

    I ride and Ski a lot in spite of asthma which is thankfully generally under good control. The issue that brought on the asthma and a few other issues still smolders though. So I ride and ski and paddle etc drink wine and eat potato chips - life is short anyway!

  14. #114
    Mr. Chaos Theory
    Reputation: JonnyB76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    JohnnyB, maybe your stem cells can give mine a stern kick in the a$$. My platelets are still low more than 3yrs after treatment. They are finally starting to increase, but VERY slowly. I might have 1k more every 6mo. I have an appointment next week to check again
    Nate,

    my issues is red blood cells im still a bit anemic.

    Also here is an update: I am back at work full time! Sweet. But i have permanent lung damage from the radiation and chemo. Doh. so my journey back to slaying single track is going to be that much harder, currently my lung function is at 60% of target function, Doh. But i will get there as soon as i can!
    WeLcOmE tO tHe CoLlEcTiVe.

    2009 Pivot Mach 5
    2009 Trek 6K (commuter)
    Base of Operations NH USA

  15. #115
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    328
    My motorcycle and I parted ways on a winding country road around xx miles per hour. Good thing I was was wearing leathers, I limped away with a mild ankle fracture after sliding down the road a good 50 yards. The bike faired pretty well and was fixed good as new and my ankle healed just fine, but I still get a little skittish on blind right handers.

  16. #116
    Rep Power: Infinity
    Reputation: NateHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,400

    The "I almost died" Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyB76 View Post
    Nate,

    my issues is red blood cells im still a bit anemic.

    Also here is an update: I am back at work full time! Sweet. But i have permanent lung damage from the radiation and chemo. Doh. so my journey back to slaying single track is going to be that much harder, currently my lung function is at 60% of target function, Doh. But i will get there as soon as i can!
    Anemic AND 60% lung function? I will tell my stem cells to get yours in gear so your red counts start to recover

  17. #117
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    60
    Re-upping this hoping Jonny is OK.

    I did a colon cancer thing 10 years ago with about 30% chance of survival. One thing that pulled me through was sitting in the chemo room watching them try to put a spike in the arm of a kid about 8 years old. It was obvious that he was early in treatment because he was still pretty fleshy and still not yet wasted by chemo. I decided that moment that I would do the PanMass Challenge and raise money for pediatric cancer research. (This was when Lance was still a hero). I finished treatment two days after my birthday on May 8 and started training for the ride in early August. After about 200 yards on the first time out I was absolutely tapped - 8 months without exercise and a loss of 45 pounds is pretty detrimental to fitness. About 12 weeks later I lined up to ride about 180 miles roadie over two days. It was absolutely clear that I didn't have it but there was no way I was going to bow out. I can't express what it meant to cross the finish line - for me it meant I was really back, that this f**king disease was not going to take me down.

    I mostly ride solo. I find amazing peace in testing myself alone in the woods. Just me and my bike and the limits of what I can ask my body to offer. Its not always satisfying, but is always in the bonus zone. Everything is. In couple months I will do a dirty century which is a goal before 50. Rigid and single. Wish me luck, or at least a minimum of suffering, because I am not going to stop. Thanks.

  18. #118
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CarolinaLL6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,083
    Years back whilst flying Dust Off in the Army the helicopter hiccuped during a landing on a 12k' peak.

    End result minus a few big parts that broke off during the 1000' roll down slope. My guardian angel was watching because all I came out with was a bad whiplash and a sprained wrist. Everyone else came out pretty similar.

    fwiw I don't ride roller coasters anymore.

    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

  19. #119
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Laura Portinari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    12
    I think everyone has had a near death experience whether it is been on your bike, car, or doing something you just shouldn't of been doing. My near death experience came from snowboarding about 2 years ago. I ended up with a separated shoulder and a broken scapula but I almost broke my neck. Let's just say I'm not Shawn White.
    I am an experienced writer looking to help others. Message me or visit http://www.ultius.com/

  20. #120
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ZmyDust's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    472
    I got hit by a car on the road.. Ironically it was on my MTB and I was on about a 1/4 miles stretch of busy 2 lane that connected two singletracks.

    Luckily he decided to slam on his brakes just in time and I ended up hitting the road harder than the car hit me. When I looked up there was the hood of a lexus about a foot from me. Walked away with a cracked helmet, scratched sunglasses, and some non permanent roadrash. Some fairly permanent scars on my hands (wasn't wearing gloves for that ride).

    Haven't had the guts to bike that stretch of road since, and everytime I drive it, I see the tire tracks in the road and feel the impact of it all over again. All mental. One of the witnesses said and I quote "I thought he was goin' over you dude".

  21. #121
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    12
    Well im pretty new to the forum but most of my deadly injuries were in the military. I was hit by a dirty IED in afganland and shot a few times in a undisclosed location (i was comms nsw so seal stuff) but died 2 for 1 min and still have metal in my back. docs said that i would never do anything "crazy" again like skydive and downhill, 2 months later ha skydiving and gettting a new bike on the 1st of the month. I feel for everyone fighting cancer i would much rather be blown up several times than go through that narly stuff. Keep fighting and stay strong from a navy vet.

  22. #122
    mtbr member
    Reputation: alphajaguars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    686
    Quote Originally Posted by socalkrawler View Post
    Well im pretty new to the forum but most of my deadly injuries were in the military. I was hit by a dirty IED in afganland and shot a few times in a undisclosed location (i was comms nsw so seal stuff) but died 2 for 1 min and still have metal in my back. docs said that i would never do anything "crazy" again like skydive and downhill, 2 months later ha skydiving and gettting a new bike on the 1st of the month. I feel for everyone fighting cancer i would much rather be blown up several times than go through that narly stuff. Keep fighting and stay strong from a navy vet.
    Thank you for your service.

  23. #123
    Old N Slow
    Reputation: Hound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    69
    From a former navy Man heal up, an carry on. The Seabee's mantra CAN DO

  24. #124
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vespasianus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,358
    Quote Originally Posted by ahelmus View Post
    Re-upping this hoping Jonny is OK.

    I did a colon cancer thing 10 years ago with about 30% chance of survival. One thing that pulled me through was sitting in the chemo room watching them try to put a spike in the arm of a kid about 8 years old. It was obvious that he was early in treatment because he was still pretty fleshy and still not yet wasted by chemo. I decided that moment that I would do the PanMass Challenge and raise money for pediatric cancer research. (This was when Lance was still a hero). I finished treatment two days after my birthday on May 8 and started training for the ride in early August. After about 200 yards on the first time out I was absolutely tapped - 8 months without exercise and a loss of 45 pounds is pretty detrimental to fitness. About 12 weeks later I lined up to ride about 180 miles roadie over two days. It was absolutely clear that I didn't have it but there was no way I was going to bow out. I can't express what it meant to cross the finish line - for me it meant I was really back, that this f**king disease was not going to take me down.

    I mostly ride solo. I find amazing peace in testing myself alone in the woods. Just me and my bike and the limits of what I can ask my body to offer. Its not always satisfying, but is always in the bonus zone. Everything is. In couple months I will do a dirty century which is a goal before 50. Rigid and single. Wish me luck, or at least a minimum of suffering, because I am not going to stop. Thanks.
    Kudo's to you my friend. Keep fighting and keep riding.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

  25. #125
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    12
    I finally got my doc to sign off on the bike riding so im picking up a trek cobia at the end of the week. Thank you it was a fun job just re adjusting to civi life!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •