Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    mtbr member
    It's raining again and instead of getting wet and muddy I am on the couch with a blanket to build mountain bikes in the sky. Found Passion.

This thread. Posting to come back and read the whole thing eventually.

Lots of hurt account here. Sympathy to all. Indomitable peeps too.

Last year I hurt myself riding. I didn't die, but could have. Not spectacular like some of the stories here.

Basically climbing single speed up something I should have walked up since I noted at the start of the section that I should walk but wanted to try anyway, after all - I can just keel over if can't make it - gave it my all and the rear wheel slipped out and started sliding backwards and then the front wheel goes off the edge while i try to fall on the uphill side, but somehow the bike jack knifes and pulls me down and over and my chest is dead center impaled on the handlebar end like I fell off a step ladder onto it.

My heart stopped, the sternum broke and hit my heart with the handlebar end.

I came to after an OBD and couldn't breathe at first. Gathered some pluck and rode 6 miles to a ranger station.

It's just over a year ago now and I am good. Got a good scar and some wire in my chest.

I returned to riding 2 months after the accident. I had the reconstruction surgery a month after the accident. I should have had it right away. The month with the sternum moving around un-fixed was pretty bad.

The way I feel about it: Riding is what I do. If I can ride I will.

We are like that here.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I rode my gravel bike on a nice little twelve mile ride. I went around a lake on a gravel road, took the bike path to a two and a half mile stretch of road, then a single track through a park, then downhill to my house. I was in no hurry. When I got home, now that I am on a social media(strava), I found out that this section was timed, and basically I was the slowest person in the state(240 out of 241). I decided that I needed to remedy that situation. I took my road bike down to the bike trail, had nothing on me except my license and my cellphone, did not even carry any water. Normally I stop and catch my breath whenever I get winded. I shifted into high gear and stood up for most of the uphill(85ft elev)two and a half miles. I was out of breath in the first thirty seconds, but I kept going anyway. My ribs hurt when I was done, and I still had not fully recovered when I got back to my car. I moved into 9th position, and spent the rest of the day trying to figure out how to shave off three more seconds and beat the next three people who were tied right below my name.

At one forty in the morning, I woke up my wife and told her I needed to go to the hospital. In the ER, my heart rate went down to 30bpm, I got hot and sweaty, and my legs started to spasm. They brought in the defibrillator. I became convinced that I was wasting their time, and that I had pulled muscles in my ribcage, and that was the source of my pain. This may be partially correct, the left side of my ribcage has a large bruise on it. I tried to explain this to all of them several times, even though they had all ready told me that I had a heart attack. One of the doctors said, “you don’t wake up at two in the morning and go to the hospital with muscle pain”. I think that if I thought that all of the pain I had in chest was my heart, I would not be able to handle it. The ultra sound of my heart was fine, the catscan looked alright, and the enzymes in my blood were only slightly elevated. About the time I thought they were going to send me home they walked over to me and told me they were going to run a scope up through my wrist to look at my heart, and with this procedure there was a risk of a stroke or death.
    They found three blocked arteries, and put in four stents. This could explain why I have been running out of breath everytime I ride a bike. There was basically no damage to my heart. They all concluded that someone was watching over me.
    How am I supposed to pick a line through this.

mtbr member
    Edit not working, should say moved up 9 positions from the bottom LOL

Cycologist
    Gee Bill, glad to hear you are ok. Any idea if the bike excursion helped reveal this or if it was just a coincidence? Are you going to need to be off the bike for awhile or good to go?
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Gee Bill, glad to hear you are ok. Any idea if the bike excursion helped reveal this or if it was just a coincidence? Are you going to need to be off the bike for awhile or good to go?
    Yup, pretty sure it revealed the problem-also was good I could get right to the hospital(15min). They said take it easy for a while, just to recover from the surgery.

mtbr member
    On July 5th I nose cased a blind triple at 35mph at Trestle bike park. Landed on my head and shoulder. Didn't black out and initially thought I just bruised my shoulder and knocked the air out of myself. After trying to raise my arm I realized I broke my shoulder. Doctor initially thought I punctured a lung and broke a few ribs too. Turned out to be just the scapula, and luckily not near the joint. After seeing a handful of trauma ortho's they decided surgery wasn't necessary. I started passive PT last week and still have 100% ROM. Still in a sling 50% of the time but I can't raise my arm. Scapula should be healed by the end of August but I have to wait until 8/17 for an MRI to see if I tore anything. I landed on a tucked shoulder so I hope not. Really not looking forward to the 8 month recovery if I need surgery. If it's not torn I'll be riding in September. All the doctors I've spoke to can't believe I didn't break anything else including my neck. Brand new Fox Pro Carbon with MIPS did it's job.

I've already ordered a new helmet, leatt 6.5 neck brace, and some light body armor.

The "I almost died" Thread-img_0147.jpg
    Front Range, Colorado

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by misterbill View Post
    I rode my gravel bike on a nice little twelve mile ride. I went around a lake on a gravel road, took the bike path to a two and a half mile stretch of road, then a single track through a park, then downhill to my house. I was in no hurry. When I got home, now that I am on a social media(strava), I found out that this section was timed, and basically I was the slowest person in the state(240 out of 241). I decided that I needed to remedy that situation. I took my road bike down to the bike trail, had nothing on me except my license and my cellphone, did not even carry any water. Normally I stop and catch my breath whenever I get winded. I shifted into high gear and stood up for most of the uphill(85ft elev)two and a half miles. I was out of breath in the first thirty seconds, but I kept going anyway. My ribs hurt when I was done, and I still had not fully recovered when I got back to my car. I moved into 9th position, and spent the rest of the day trying to figure out how to shave off three more seconds and beat the next three people who were tied right below my name.

At one forty in the morning, I woke up my wife and told her I needed to go to the hospital. In the ER, my heart rate went down to 30bpm, I got hot and sweaty, and my legs started to spasm. They brought in the defibrillator. I became convinced that I was wasting their time, and that I had pulled muscles in my ribcage, and that was the source of my pain. This may be partially correct, the left side of my ribcage has a large bruise on it. I tried to explain this to all of them several times, even though they had all ready told me that I had a heart attack. One of the doctors said, “you don’t wake up at two in the morning and go to the hospital with muscle pain”. I think that if I thought that all of the pain I had in chest was my heart, I would not be able to handle it. The ultra sound of my heart was fine, the catscan looked alright, and the enzymes in my blood were only slightly elevated. About the time I thought they were going to send me home they walked over to me and told me they were going to run a scope up through my wrist to look at my heart, and with this procedure there was a risk of a stroke or death.
    They found three blocked arteries, and put in four stents. This could explain why I have been running out of breath everytime I ride a bike. There was basically no damage to my heart. They all concluded that someone was watching over me.
    You're lucky to be alive, seriously.

One thing that I've learned is that if you're having shortness of breath while exercising, there's a reason for it. Like if you can't seem to catch your breath and you're in shape, and it's unusual, there is something seriously wrong. You're not just having a "bad workout", you're in danger of dying. Happened to me once - had a little trouble breathing, couldn't seem to shake it, thought it'd just kind of work itself out - boy was I wrong. Pulmonary embolism. That's one most don't walk away from. Heart is another. We are both lucky.

If things seems strange, they are. Get yourself to a hospital.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Members who have read this thread: 187