Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MTK
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

How much weight does a HandShake have?

Hello all,it's been a while. I ask this question because I thought it would
    help with the Topic I will ask you all. That is,have you ever met someone
    you Love,{you know what I mean.}in my case, Man Lust and just been blown away with a Bad Handshake?

I had this happen to me in 2006. In Las Vegas at the trade show. I just could not believe that the Man who has the best bike skills in the world
    could have this handshake? I was speechless? Anyway, I thought this
    was a good question. Or at least, it's important to me what you have
    to share. Peace.

MTK

Readin & Postin since '02
    Jul 2006
    I don't think I let it effect my thoughts on a guy as a person, but I definitely notice a weak handshake. On the other hand, I've shaken hands with guys who go way too far the other way and it just seem silly.

I didn't do it
    I think people who consciously try to crush your hand are revealing their insecurities.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

MTK
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yeah,I dont need a bone crusher,but I am Alway's ready for it. I'm looking for
    that ultimate let down? That's what I had. I guess it's me. You alway's look a
    Man in his Eyes and shake a firm grip. Peace.

Inspector Gadget

The Handshake sets the tone when two strangers meet. Too little or too much is awkward. The exact amount of pressure is a necessary skill to help make that first impression. I can recall people who have bad handshakes. It matters.

But what's worse is when someone try's to do a left handed shake. I've encountered this 3 times in my life.
    -first guy had a broken right arm, so he gets a pass
    -second was a limp wristed very awkward handshake... Almost like he had never even shook someone's hand before. I don't think it was intentional, still it was weird.
    -third was very recently, a father of a player on my kids baseball team. Big, strong tough guy offered up his left hand... I was dumbfounded! Lol
    I hope you have a big trunk... cause I'm gonna put my bike in it!

> /dev/null 2&>1
    3.2 Oz silly.

mtbr member
    I weak handshake means he is bad in bed.

The White Jeff W
    The worst is when you reach for a handshake and they grab your fingers. I make them do it again.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Maybe tell the guy and he can rename his bike brand "Bad Handshake."
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    What worse, someone who grabs in tight and early, getting your fingers and forcing you to shake really weak.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    I think people who consciously try to crush your hand are revealing their insecurities.
    A few years ago i was training a new guy at work. His handshake was the finger crusher. I got sick of it and called him on it! He was flabbergasted. He had adopted the super firm finger handshake on the advice of his drill sgt when he was 18 and had not realized it was offensive at all. The man was in his 30s and had been doing it for his entire adult life in ignorance. I literally coached him on how to let thumbs lock first so he did not crush fingers and how to give a FIRM but not crushing handshake. He was receptive and appreciative.

That experience led me to believe that most weird handshakes are due to ignorance. If this describes one of your friends, coach them up!

Speaking of weird handshakes, i was the victim of a strange new handshake several months ago while conducting an interview. I held my hand out, the man reached out and clasped my hand. He then pulled me towards him, yanking me off my footing and into a full personal bubble violation. I have no idea wtf he was going for with that, but i was completely uninterested in his answers to our panel's questions and my vote not to hire was based solely off that abortion of a handshake.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRingGrinder View Post

I held my hand out, the man reached out and clasped my hand. He then pulled me towards him, yanking me off my footing and into a full personal bubble violation. I have no idea wtf he was going for with that, but i was completely uninterested in his answers to our panel's questions and my vote not to hire was based solely off that abortion of a handshake.
    its like a power move to establish dominance, not good for starting an interview

mtbr member
    Made me think of this clip:

Intense Spider29 / Motobecane FlyTi29

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I appreciate a good firm handshake, but can understand a "less firm" grip. Not every guy is a manly man, and that's OK.

That being said, I once had the chance to shake hands with one of my boyhood idols. It was very soft, weak, and clammy. Ruined him for me to this day.
    Hold my beer and watch this!

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Firm (not crushing) handshake with both hands extended the same distance, two pumps and let go. Never with gloves on, never with both hands.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member

It can change the outcome of the entire world-

mtbr member
    I go with the fist bump, followed by the bro slap to avoid sending or receiving any confusing signals.

mtbr member

Good idea for a topic.
    I operate a rock drill which is a VERY dirty , greasy, oily job.
    What I can't stand is when a manager or office stooge comes to a job site and won't shake my hand. If it's dripping in oil I understand but they usually don't even look.
    The president of my company started out doing what I do 40 years ago. That man will shake my hand if it's covered in copper grease.
    To me it's a sign of respect and mutual understanding.
    Coincidentally I got to shake Tom Brady's hand after a New England Patriots game and he limp wristed me. Lol I almost expected it though.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes.

Merendon Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFitz View Post

The president of my company started out doing what I do 40 years ago. That man will shake my hand if it's covered in copper grease. ..... .
    That speaks for some qualities as to why he is the president of the company.

Cheers

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRingGrinder View Post
    A few years ago i was training a new guy at work. His handshake was the finger crusher. I got sick of it and called him on it! He was flabbergasted. He had adopted the super firm finger handshake on the advice of his drill sgt when he was 18 and had not realized it was offensive at all. The man was in his 30s and had been doing it for his entire adult life in ignorance. I literally coached him on how to let thumbs lock first so he did not crush fingers and how to give a FIRM but not crushing handshake. He was receptive and appreciative.

That experience led me to believe that most weird handshakes are due to ignorance. If this describes one of your friends, coach them up!
    Never thought of that, that must account for some of the bad handshakes. I've definitely given several people the "easy there big boy" comment after a good crushing. I'm pretty sure that most of the extreme handcrushers I've come across know what they're doing though, they just want to exert their dominance. Which given the personalities of the folks I'm referring to, this is their only chance with me.

Speaking of weird handshakes, i was the victim of a strange new handshake several months ago while conducting an interview. I held my hand out, the man reached out and clasped my hand. He then pulled me towards him, yanking me off my footing and into a full personal bubble violation. I have no idea wtf he was going for with that, but i was completely uninterested in his answers to our panel's questions and my vote not to hire was based solely off that abortion of a handshake.
    Lol, this is wrong on multiple levels. Gotta have better social skills than that. I bet he's a close talker to boot.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MTK View Post
    You alway's look a
    Man in his Eyes and shake a firm grip. Peace.
    that is the bottom line - goes for shaking a woman's hand too though

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFitz View Post
    Good idea for a topic.
    I operate a rock drill which is a VERY dirty , greasy, oily job.
    What I can't stand is when a manager or office stooge comes to a job site and won't shake my hand. If it's dripping in oil I understand but they usually don't even look.
    The president of my company started out doing what I do 40 years ago. That man will shake my hand if it's covered in copper grease.
    To me it's a sign of respect and mutual understanding.
    Coincidentally I got to shake Tom Brady's hand after a New England Patriots game and he limp wristed me. Lol I almost expected it though.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes.
    Really no excuse for passing on a handshake. I won't shake a hand covered with anything harmful (solvents and such) but otherwise I figure it's the minimum expectation for two people meeting.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    The worst is when you reach for a handshake and they grab your fingers. I make them do it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by terrasmak
    What worse, someone who grabs in tight and early, getting your fingers and forcing you to shake really weak.
    +1 I hate that!

passed out in your garden
    Quote Originally Posted by MTK View Post
    You alway's look a Man in his Eyes and shake a firm grip. Peace.
    followed up by a playful slap on the arse
    2012 Trek Rumblefish Elite
    Frankenbike (Pump/BMX track bike)
    1993 Colnago Elegant

MTK
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You guys crack me up. I brought this up thinking of shaking hands with Bike people
    in mind. Now if Greg Lemond were to shake my hand in such a manner? Oh,the Drama.

MTK

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast