Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    backwoods and backwards
    I'm a chef...If I shake hands with someone at work I have to go wash my hands before I can do anything else. One guy said it reminded him of that show "Monk".
    Moonbeam's compost-powered hybrid generates a respectable 32 fruit flies per rotting banana peel.

mtbr member

Re: How much weight does a HandShake have?

Quote Originally Posted by abeckstead View Post
    The Handshake sets the tone when two strangers meet. Too little or too much is awkward. The exact amount of pressure is a necessary skill to help make that first impression. I can recall people who have bad handshakes. It matters.

But what's worse is when someone try's to do a left handed shake. I've encountered this 3 times in my life.
    -first guy had a broken right arm, so he gets a pass
    -second was a limp wristed very awkward handshake... Almost like he had never even shook someone's hand before. I don't think it was intentional, still it was weird.
    -third was very recently, a father of a player on my kids baseball team. Big, strong tough guy offered up his left hand... I was dumbfounded! Lol
    I laughed when I read this. I was a boy scout as a kid (made eagle even) and scouts always shake with their left because it is closer to your heart and thus more sincere. I went for my first teaching job interview and shook with my left. The principal looked confused so I explained it... Long story short I got the job.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les MisÚrables

Front Range, Colorado
    Go in firm look them in the eye and release. How hard is that anyway.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^Rock Garden

the half breed devil
    "And after a while, you can work on points for style.
    Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
    A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.
    You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
    So that when they turn their backs on you,
    You'll get the chance to put the knife in."

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I don't ever know if I'm supposed to shake hands with women and how it's to be done.

For this reason I never leave the house unless I have to. If I do leave the house, I hang my head and never make eye contact.

Seems reasonable.

Brackish
    As a recruiter by trade, I can tell you that a bad handshake can kill your job prospects. Not with me, necessarily (it bugs me but I won't s-can a candidate for that alone), but the hiring managers pick on it all the time and place a remarkable weight on it.

Stokeless Asshat
    "Proper" etiquette for shaking a woman's hand is to allow her to offer first and to let her determine firmness and duration. If she doesn't then keep your hands to yourself.

All bets are off now that we've let them out of the kitchen.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    "Proper" etiquette for shaking a woman's hand is to allow her to offer first and to let her determine firmness and duration. If she doesn't then keep your hands to yourself.
    I know this, but in real life it just doesn't seem to work out. My job requires that I regularly meet with families. So... I extend my hand to greet the husband, then... um, uh, "Hi there wife of man I just shook hands with, should I extend my hand to you as well..."

Anyway, once I extend my hand to introduce myself to one person in the group, I continue to offer my hand to everyone. Most folks seem to expect it and if you just stand there without offering a handshake, the body language that I read from folks says that I created a more awkward situation by not extending my hand. Maybe this would be different in less official settings. If I'm just being introduced to a woman, then I don't extend my hand.

Wow, this is like therapy.

Sorry for the hijack.

MTK
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    BigRing,was this Man from the Middle East? Where did he come from?

MTK

mtbr member

Re: How much weight does a HandShake have?

Quote Originally Posted by MTK View Post
    BigRing,was this Man from the Middle East? Where did he come from?

MTK
    Didn't even think about this... Right hand is the toilet hand.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les MisÚrables

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Left hand is the toilet hand.
    Living in Houston makes me more of a Ditch Bike Rider

Man my bike needs a better motor

MTK
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I got tell ya,right now I am listening to shekky's Pink Floyd Song. It happens's to
    be one of my all time favorites. I'm typing and listening at the same time. It's
    wonderful. Dont do that much. I re-read the thread to make sure I was up to date.
    When I was 15,I was in Saudi Arabia for my last visit ever. I grew up there until the
    age of 11. Airline Brat. You cannot get into the KingDom unless you have Direct Family
    or a Work Visa. Period. So I knew it was last call. I was all over this whole album. I can
    smell the air when I hear this song. So many memories. There was 3 Arabs that I partied
    with. One was a Prince,one was a Arab Champion Boxxer,and the last was a skinny Arab.
    I'll never forget the Prince had a Whip,he was serious with this thing. The Boxxer was
    alll buffed and Perfect. He had an afro,ripped to the Gills. They would get Drunk and

just thrash the place. The Prince mind you, came in at over 300 Pounds. He would pull that whip out and Snap at the Boxxer? The Pince had a younger Brother who was a Slave. He cooked 3 meals a night,every night. I was there from 12 at night till 9am everyday for 2 mounths. I am boring you now. Back to my point.

bigcat,I thought that mabye he was an Arab. They are very Loving people with there
    greeting. If one is not use to it,then that would explain. Peace.

MTK

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2