Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

How many miles do you ride in a year???

I'm a noob (but 47) and starting mountain biking in mid-August of this year. I'm curious to know how far others ride in a year. I have no frame of reference...

I bought my Spez 120 Pro in August and have about 1,500 miles on it (4 months) and except for replacing the front wheel (taco city), tires (front 1X and rear 2X), crank, seat, chain, bar grips, front "D", rear "D" hanger, and seat post, it's all still original .

How far do you ride in a year?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

My goal is

between 10-12,000 for '06.

I started riding in 2004. '05 was wasted after April due to a broken leg. So I got some catching up to do.

Most of it will be on the road because it simply is a more efficient way to get stronger. However, I still need to develop my mtb skills (besides, mtb takes me to more remote places). I'm shooting for about 70-75% road and 25-30% mtb.

There are some very good books out there on the average amount of miles a rider needs in order to meet their specific goals.

And, of course, keep it fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XRAYO
    I'm a noob (but 47) and starting mountain biking in mid-August of this year. I'm curious to know how far others ride in a year. I have no frame of reference...

I bought my Spez 120 Pro in August and have about 1,500 miles on it (4 months) and except for replacing the front wheel (taco city), tires (front 1X and rear 2X), crank, seat, chain, bar grips, front "D", rear "D" hanger, and seat post, it's all still original .

holy crap. if you're averaging 5000 miles in a year on a mountain bike, what percentage of your riding is actually on dirt as opposed to road riding? i ask because over the summer i was riding almost every day and i'd be surprised if i cracked 1000 miles. mountain biking only on trail loops of 6-10 miles doesn't add up very quickly...

Mythical Creature

Three words:

NEW BIKE CRACK!

Cool - always a blast to get on a new ride! When I got my Blur a few seasons ago, I logged over 500 miles in just under two weeks in the first few weeks! Yahoo!

Last edited by glenzx; 12-11-2005 at 03:15 PM.
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Mythical Creature
    Ah the old mileage thread - more telling is how many hours!

2005 I've clocked about 6500 miles in 645 hours. About 1000 during my "off season" of late.
    Breakdown is roughly 2500 miles mountain, and the rest on the road. This is due to training on the orad bike and riding the mountain bike for FUN, and racing like a bat out of hell.

2004 I logged about 450 hours but similar mileage. This was due to more hard climbing workouts, and blocks of brutal max intervals this season, where last year the road miles added up pretty quick.

2006 Ought to be about he same or less, as I feel like I understand my training goals, how to reach them, and most importantly - how to recover from them! It'll be an excercise in Quality - not Quantity. Hopefully more epic/endurance mtnbike mileage too.
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Just another Homer

Big difference

between road riding and mountain biking. I decided last year that I wanted to try a double century (200 miles ride all at once), well we set out to training by doing 100 mile + rides every weekend and sometimes two century rides over a weekend. I also racked up miles during the week to about 70. I not only did one I decided to do the 1,000 mile club and do 5 of them. Well, long story but I did them. Even with all that riding I only racked up 4200 miles on the road and 1655 on the mountain bike. I feel like I rode a lot and I can't for the life of me see how someone would be able to double that. True I'm 50 years old, married, and have a very demanding job along with a 11 year old son, so I did have to back off some, but to do over 10,000 would mean you'd have to do almost 200 a week every week. Miss one week and you'd fall behind real quick.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Like I stated...

Quote Originally Posted by Pain Freak
    to do over 10,000 would mean you'd have to do almost 200 a week every week.
    10-12,000 miles is a goal. I really do hope to meet it, however.

A few things in my favor:

1) Just financially stable enough to afford such madness.

2) No kids.

3) Single - last week, I broke up with my tennis-instructor/trail runner gal because our time together was eating into my riding time. I'll find someone else. I always do...

4) Passion - I learned in climbing that absolute devotion often provides the greatest rewards. Not always, but often... I've rarely been more content than on a ride.

5) Motivated - it's saturday night and I'm resting my legs for tommorrow's training session posting on mtbr.

6) Legs - before the accident this past April, I hit my PR of 950 lbs on the leg press at 165 pounds. My first century (my second year of riding) was a solo of the White Rim.

If/when I marry and raise a family, I know things will change. And I sincerely and respectfully empathize with your comments. But, as a former climbing partner (now a non-climbing surgeon) advised me, "Do it while you can."

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Hubby and I only ride mountain bikes on the weekends (and odd days off for holidays, vacation, etc). We've had our bikes since mid-August (I hadn't ridden before) and we've ridden about 460 miles since.

If I end up getting a job locally we're discussing getting a tandem and riding to work, which will definitely help add on miles.

just along for the ride
    On the mtn bike 3,500m, on the intown hauler about 800m, on the trike/pedicab (160lbs work out UNLOADED) 1500m, car does about 2500 miles, hate to feed that pig so I'm happy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    In 04 I did 5003 miles (yeah my goal was 5000). Riding on New Years Eve to get those last few miles in was interesting. This year I have 4460. Thats not to bad considering I had knee surgery, I moved to a new state, I have a wife, 2 kids with a third on the way and I work about 60 hours a week. At least 2/3rds is on the road.
    Bikes are my time machines.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrekFan
    holy crap. if you're averaging 5000 miles in a year on a mountain bike, what percentage of your riding is actually on dirt as opposed to road riding? i ask because over the summer i was riding almost every day and i'd be surprised if i cracked 1000 miles. mountain biking only on trail loops of 6-10 miles doesn't add up very quickly...
    TrekFan,

Virtually all dirt but I ride almost every day so I have an excuse.

I rode 18 miles this morning but it was too cold a couple days ago to ride at all (-1 degree F).

X

mtbr member
    I'm still waiting to meet glenzx on the trails around here. Well, maybe not...

BTW, what the heck is New Nike Crack??? (not this I hope)

Also, I did a search before posting. Couldn't find anything.

I'm certainly not an athlete in the same sense as many of you. I often feel like a caboose on group rides...
    Last edited by XRAYO; 12-10-2005 at 08:48 PM.

ballbuster

<- slacker

Dang, I dunno how many miles, but I'm sure it's under 3k. It's gotta be. Dang, even with commuting (although I only commuted maybe 7 days). At least my commute is 30 miles roundtrip. That oughta rack up some miles.

I gotta up my miles.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    30 mile avg weekend ride on Sats=1500 yr
    at least 1 hr spinning at least 3x week=2500 yr
    odd mtb ride/race=350 yr

total=4350 estimate

the mtb mileage will go way up when I land back in the mainland

PMC
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'm looking at 660 hours this year and the plan was for 650 so I'm right on. Split up that's about 500 on road and 150 off road hours. Maybe 10-11k miles but I haven't kept track.
    Next year same plan...

Mmmm...Pivo!

Not enough......

How many miles a year? Not nearly enough, and certainly far less than I would like to.

But if you are on an MTB, counting miles is really not what it is about. I prefer to look at the amount of climb and the quality of terrain my rides have. This year so far I have logged some 350 miles less than last year, but last year I had a number of "training" rides of 30-50 miles that was purely on the road. This year, I just counldn't be bothered with many such rides save for early in the season. So while numbers last year were higher, quality was way up in 2005!

Over the Hill
    I don't measure my rides by miles but rather by elevation gained. After three years of riding I can do about 5,000 ft vertical before burnout. Most of my rides average gain is between 300-550 ft per mile…mainly on a singlespeed.

They tell me I am weird in that I like to climb. I don't even care if it is a fireroad as long as it gets me to the top of a prominent peak...hopefully there is a singletrack reward coming back down.

Mythical Creature
    I'm still waiting to meet glenzx on the trails around here. Well, maybe not...

BTW, what the heck is New Nike Crack??? (not this I hope)

Also, I did a search before posting. Couldn't find anything.

I'm certainly not an athlete in the same sense as many of you. I often feel like a caboose on group rides...
    New BIKE even

dang typos!
    follow me on Twitter!

mtbr member

1500 or so

I rode 106 days this year mostly on my mountain bike. Figure I may ride an average of 12 -15 miles each ride on the MTB, lots more on the road, I'm guessing 1500.

Next season I will be doing much more on the road so it will be interesting how many miles I can put on.

I'm 56 by the way.

paintbucket
    About 7,000. With around 1,300 on the trail bike, 2,300 on the commuter and the rest on the road.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    1200 on the mountain bike so far, but there are still about 20 days left in year......

mtbr member
    I have no idea. I measure my rides by times per week, by the number of different and interesting places I get to ride, and by the smiles per mile delivered by the quality of the trail.

This year I've been pretty consistent on 6 rides a week averaging 8-10 miles per ride on four work days and 12-35 miles per ride on two off days (Friday and Saturday) with one 67 mile day thrown in there.

Places include: Sedona, Tahoe, Park City, Salt Lake, Vegas, Bootleg Canyon, Phoenix, St George, Hurricane, and, of course, Ely.

Quickly doing the math.... I get exactly 3,814 miles . All dirt. Mostly singletrack.

I love climbing too. After hearing Mark Weir's goal of climbing 1,000,000 feet this year, I'd be interested to know how many feet I've climbed. I'm sure it's a ton.... but nowhere near a million.

No Brakes
    2003: ~1200 miles of trail

2004: ~800 miles of trail

2005: ~600 miles of trail (and that's on the high side)

But overall, definitely not enough...so sad.

i worship Mr T

~450 hrs & 4000+ miles

last year i put in somewhere around 450 hours of bike time and 4000+ miles on the road and trail combined. about 1000 of those miles were trail.

this year i have yet to do a mileage or hour tally so i really have no idea but it will probably be about the same.

rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    I rode up just a hair over a hundred miles this year. I haven’t tallied ride time yet, I have few weeks left to get time in but I'm not doing very intensive climbing right now.

mtbr member
    I wish I had the free time you guys have. I have a full time job, part time job, part time student, and we just had a baby. I only have about 450miles of riding this year . I just got a new bike and hope I can get out a lot more often.

Mythical Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumbee1
    I wish I had the free time you guys have. I have a full time job, part time job, part time student, and we just had a baby. I only have about 450miles of riding this year . I just got a new bike and hope I can get out a lot more often.
    Yeah, we're all pretty spoiled slackers.... no full time job/career or anything, no life, no wife, no family, no house renovation project(s), no professional testing or other professional/job relate activities at all, never bother being an active trails/race advocate or volunteer any time to anything... hell, I'd ride an elevator to the second floor if Santa Fe had any second floors I'm so lazy!

See where I'm heading here? Though my wife and I do not have (a) kid/s, life is pretty flucking demanding. "Free Time" is anything but free, and as a precious commodity is treated as such - i.e. getting the MOST out of available time. I assume you weren't implying that there are those of us that clock serious training time and miles without the commitment and focus required to be dead serious about cycling/training AND "real life", and work very hard to make it all work as a part of a busy life.
    follow me on Twitter!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    Yeah, we're all pretty spoiled slackers.... no full time job/career or anything, no life, no wife, no family, no house renovation project(s), no professional testing or other professional/job relate activities at all, never bother being an active trails/race advocate or volunteer any time to anything... hell, I'd ride an elevator to the second floor if Santa Fe had any second floors I'm so lazy!

See where I'm heading here? Though my wife and I do not have (a) kid/s, life is pretty flucking demanding. "Free Time" is anything but free, and as a precious commodity is treated as such - i.e. getting the MOST out of available time. I assume you weren't implying that there are those of us that clock serious training time and miles without the commitment and focus required to be dead serious about cycling/training AND "real life", and work very hard to make it all work as a part of a busy life.
    Not at all. I realize there is no such thing as "free time". Everyone has something to do but priorities dictate what has to be done during that time period. Unfortunately for me, I have many items that I consider necessities above biking that cannot be avoided.

BTW, biking takes a higher priority over eating and sleeping.

mtbr member

Hours

I find it more helpful to look at hours. I'll have right about 500 hours of ride time this year. My miles will be about 6,500. BUT, half those miles are dirt and I live in real hilly area where every hour on the bike is at least 1,000 feet of climbing. If i was a flatlander roadie I would have at least 10-20k miles.
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    Yeah, we're all pretty spoiled slackers.... no full time job/career or anything, no life, no wife, no family, no house renovation project(s),
    I had more free time when I was a full time student with a full-time job than I do now working 9-5.

Or maybe I just had more energy.

Any guess I made as to mileage or hours would be pulled out of my azz... with 4 different bikes, 3 different computers... road vs mtb..

I can understand tracking that stuff if I were sticking to a strict training program, but I think if I was tracking it this year and comparing it to previous years I would just be sad. Probably same (or slightly more) miles as usual, but only 2/3 the hours on the bike. When your 30 mile loop only takes 1:20 (or less in a good pack) instead of the 1:45 it did 3 years ago you can rack up the mileage while still feeling like a slacker.

Probably somewhere near 4500 miles the last year, about 3500 on the mountain bikes, the rest on a road bike. Elevation gain somewhere in the neighborhood of 450,000 feet...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

As a MTB Marathon racer I rode this year appr. 11.000 miles. About 3/4 of it on the road bike. Next year I guess a "little" more.
    www.bikesandbrains.nl

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    my bike has probably 100 miles on dirt and about 700 on the street and around 1 mile in the air

desert dweller
    I'm looking at 3500 now with 2950 on the roadie and 550 with the mountain bike. By the end of the year I may end up near 3700. My goal was 3500 and with some holidays and vacation to burn I think I'll squeeze in another 150-200 before I start fresh.

Sheesh, what was I getting myself into whe I started keeping track?

mbb

mtbr member

This is kinda hard

like the third grade.
    I don't have a computer on any of my bikes, but I sat down with a pensle and paper. My best guess is abour 9k miles or so. I know I rode over 3 thou of mnt bike, an dthe rest are on my fixie. Damn you for asking. Now I gotta think about it. Basssard!
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

Over the Hill
    Road Miles Don"t Count!

a dad
    Jan 2004
    i think hours of riding is much more telling than miles, especially if you are adding road miles....i dont ride road at all, but i have done four hour mtn bike rides that cover 50 miles and four hour rides that cover 12 miles... time is the only thing that is the same..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

I don't track the miles, only how often. I did #213 for the year today, four more rides (217) and I'll have 600 rides for the past 3 years. I live about 6 miles from a very good riding area (Green Mountain, Kitsap County) , so it's accessible to me on most any given day (including winter, when I finish most of my rides with a light). Only 35 degrees tonight but the trails were in great shape...

I log every ride into a database... this is an example where I also included a picture with the log entry. I'll sometimes input the mileage or duration of the ride, especially if I'm on some other trail system and I'm using a GPS, but for my local rides, it's "just another ride" and don't care to track those statistics. I do rate the rides on a 3 point system with 1 being the lowest and 3 being the best (most are 2's).

The tracking of numbers keeps me disciplined, and motivates me to ride.
    Last edited by MarkHL; 12-13-2005 at 08:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    MarkHL -

That is an ultra-cool little set-up you've got going there!

I am a noob to things like database programs and GPS,
    any recommendations?

Is GPS a fairly accurate way to record time, distance, and elevation?
    I'm thinking something like a small GPS device that I could throw in
    my hydro-pack, record the ride stats, then download to a database.
    Is that do-able?

Keep The Rubber Side Down

Between MTB + Velodrome + Road + Spin classes = 2500 +/-

It definetly was one of my busiest cycling years ever. I'm bound to match or beat it next year.

Mark HL; you must share your software secrets with us!
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

Glad to Be Alive
    about a G
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Your bike sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    My best guess is abour 9k miles or so. I know I rode over 3 thou of mnt bike, an dthe rest are on my fixie. Damn you for asking. Now I gotta think about it. Basssard!
    I'm calling BS. 9,000mi a year is about 175 mi a week - EVERY single week of the year. You live in Snowmass - so, ugghhh, are you still putting in 175mi a week during the 4 snowbound winter months? Unlikely.

I don't know you but the people that put in that level of mileage are normally the type to either have a computer or a log with some details. Oh yeah, they are typically training for ultra-distance events. Hate to be rude, but I think you are over-estimating.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deoreo
    MarkHL -

That is an ultra-cool little set-up you've got going there!

I am a noob to things like database programs and GPS,
    any recommendations?

Is GPS a fairly accurate way to record time, distance, and elevation?
    I'm thinking something like a small GPS device that I could throw in
    my hydro-pack, record the ride stats, then download to a database.
    Is that do-able?
    See this (Available Jan 06):

Garmin Edge 305

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Mountain biking in the electronic age...

Quote Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow
    It definetly was one of my busiest cycling years ever. I'm bound to match or beat it next year.

Mark HL; you must share your software secrets with us!
    I used Microsoft Access to create this log, however most any database will work.

The program starts up with a list with the most recent rides first (see picture) by double-clicking on them, it displays the detail screen (shown in my other post). As you can see by the top entry I was out again tonight... The totals for each location is done by creating a a pivot table query in Excel from the data I collect in the database. I only have to press 'refresh data' in Excel to update the calculations.

GPS Question: I use a Garmin 60 CS http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap60cs/ on the trail. It really gives me peace of mine when I'm riding a new location. I know I can never get lost as long as the battery's hold out. Plus, it will give me turn by turn directions to most any destination (It uses the same software that autos use in their GPS systems). Besides laying a track of my ride, the second most valuable info is the total evalation gain on the ride. It will also lay a profile of the ride.

Use the search function on this forum and type GPS in the left hand block for key-words to search for, and markhl in the user name block and you will see all the different variations I use to log tracks, including making my own maps, satellite images, 3D images etc...
    It's also great for finding the nearest McDonalds in towns your unfamilar with :-) Just select "Find" Restaurants -> McDonalds and it direct you to the nearest one.

I also play around with a Cannon SD300 at times...(tiny little credit-card size digital camera) Vid is of the Gold Creek Trail I spend most of my winter months on (steep enough it doesn't hold much water).

http://webpages.charter.net/markh120...hotos/GMWA.wmv (4.5 MB)

And yes, if I'm in a spot that is safe to do it, you might find me with a MP3 player rocking out as I climb...

Mark
    Last edited by MarkHL; 12-14-2005 at 07:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Well, we dont really work in miles but have converted my kilometers for the purposes of this (US dominated forum.
    I do about 4300miles a year... but it fluctuates depending what i am training for. This time it is the Cape Epic. (70% dirt, 30% road). I also live in one of the most mountanous regions in South Africa

Agree that being a mtnbiker time on the bike is more important than distance. Hours spent on the the bike this year are probaby anything between 480 - 560. Still not enough for the Epic.... ; /
    The only person to get all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

MTB B'dos
    Did 1,800 miles in 2004 when I started MTBing, rode about 8 months of the year. Got my new Trance in Feb and was on track for about 4500+ miles - doing about 400+ miles a month. Started with a roughly 40-/60+ trail to road avg and have now switched to 60+/40- trail/road, but have gotten sick/injured (missed about 9 wks so far) and don't quite think I'll make the 3,000 mark before my Trance turns 1 year old.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Horses and Bikes, Oh My!
    I'll end up with about 5800-5900 this year. I had just over 6000 for 2004. I'd guess about 5400 is road and 400 mtb. During cyclocross season, my longest ride is usually 30 miles because of racing every weekend from Mid October to the beginning of Dec. That cuts severely into my mileage.

Cute as a Button
    Feb 2004

Not on a mountain bike.

Quote Originally Posted by 514Climber
    10-12,000 miles is a goal. I really do hope to meet it, however. .
    First thing is, how many miles in a year have you done in the past? On a mountain bike? Have you done even half of your stated goal before?

10-12,000 you're already up there with semi-pros. Avid riding starts at about 3,000 miles--road or mountain. I'd say 6-8,000 was a reasonable goal for a roadie, and a bit nuts for a mountain bike rider. After all, 10 to 12 thousand miles is riding every trail in MOAB, Utah twice (I seem to remember they have 5,000 miles of mountain bike trails, but could be much more I suppose).

Also don't forget that you ride a lot less in the winter, so 200 miles a week--while doable--is not a year-round pace. Think 300 a week or more in the peak season and maybe 100 in the middle of winter (and that's pushing it). Sometimes you catch a cold and can't ride, or you just need a couple of weeks off for no particular reason--except maybe quality of life.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    How often do you all ride the road at night?

The only mileage I am really getting right now is in the trainer, spin class or riding on the weekend. I'm a little afraid to ride the road at night. I work from 8:30 to 5pm with it getting dark between 5:30 and 6.

BTW, 05 was my first year of Mountain biking, I put in a little over 1300 miles. Had the time of my life. I'm 29 years old now. All miles were done on the dirt.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprocketeer
    First thing is, how many miles in a year have you done in the past? On a mountain bike? Have you done even half of your stated goal before?

10-12,000 you're already up there with semi-pros. Avid riding starts at about 3,000 miles--road or mountain. I'd say 6-8,000 was a reasonable goal for a roadie, and a bit nuts for a mountain bike rider. After all, 10 to 12 thousand miles is riding every trail in MOAB, Utah twice (I seem to remember they have 5,000 miles of mountain bike trails, but could be much more I suppose).

Also don't forget that you ride a lot less in the winter, so 200 miles a week--while doable--is not a year-round pace. Think 300 a week or more in the peak season and maybe 100 in the middle of winter (and that's pushing it). Sometimes you catch a cold and can't ride, or you just need a couple of weeks off for no particular reason--except maybe quality of life.
    Hey Sprocketeer,
    I rode 11.000 Miles last year. And yes I am semi-pro. I do MTB marathons which are between 60 and 100 Miles. If you want to ride in the front you do need loads of miles. End of the season (In Europe) is the second week of October. I go 2 weeks on holiday. Season start on November 1st. In November lots of tours for fun on the MTB. Serious work starts in December when I go riding on the Track, twice a week 3-hours training. On the saturday and sunday MTB tours up to 4 hours. In January and February only road training up to 6 hours ( 3 x weekly). In March and April all the big classics like Tour of Flandres and Amstel Gold Race. In May I start with the marathon season till first week of July. Two weeks of rest and then continuing till second week of October. Hopefully this year in the first 50 on the UCI ranking end of the year, within Top 15 in the World Cup ranking, top 20 in the MTB Marathon World Championship and Top 3 National Championship of Holland.
    www.bikesandbrains.nl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast