mtbr member

How long is your...

How long is your history with mountain biking? I was just sitting here reading the thread about the riding addict and realized I have been mountain biking for over 15 years.

I started out following my friends on my Huffy Stalker, they were all on Treks. I got my first real mountain bike 15 years ago in september, a Cannondale M300

I have only had one other passion that long, I have been skiing longer then I have been riding, and recently I picked up surfing, but other then those two no other activity has stuck.

You could say I am addicted to mountain biking, but I'll never admit it, because accepting your problem is the first step in getting rid of it and I never want to stop riding.

I feel old, At 26 it's weird to have things that have I have been doing that long.

Life is Good
    About 9-10 years for me. I started on a blue Trailmaster

You're going to get alot of old timers in this thread I am a relative newbie, I guess. I started on that Trailmaster when I was a kid, but it wasn't an "addiction" until the last 4 or 5 years.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

Duckin' Fonuts.
    Dec 2005
    I have been riding trails on bikes since I was a 6 year old kid in 1977. We all had BMX bikes back then but the trails were made by 50cc mini-bikes, and they wandered through the woods. I got my first 10 speed when I was 12, in 83, bought a real road racing bike in 86, and my first real mountain bike in 1988. Bridgeston MB-6 at 17 years old. So is it 29 years on trails, or 18 years on a "real" mtb?

RCC
    Bandolero
    About five years for me.i bought a gary fisher sugar4 to commute to work,hit the dirt five or so months later,and that was it for me! ii got hooked.been doing it non stop since then.peace...
    I heard the mission bell
    And i was thinking to my self
    This could be heaven or this could be hell...

mtbr member

Depends how you measure

If you consider riding fat tired bikes on dirt trails through the woods as mountain biking the answer is 49 years. (Yeah, I'm a bit older than you).

If you want to measure from when I went into a bike shop and bought something actually called a "mountain bike," that would be more like 16 years.

However, just for grins and giggles, I had MBA admit many years ago in response to a letter to the editor that my riding associates and I in NJ actually "invented" mountain biking in the fifties way before it caught on in California.

Of course, no one really invented mountain biking. It is, after all, just a marketing term like All-Mountain, Freeride, or what have you.

Belltown Brazer
    It has been just over 20 years since I bought my first "mountain bike". A big yellow bullmoose-handlebar beast from Nashbar of all places. Other activities have come and gone, but I've been a "mountain biker" since 1986.

I have considered myself a "cyclist" since 1978 though. My best friend and I would load up our bikes and ride to our relative's houses to camp out. By today's standards, a 50 miler isn't much. But when you're 13, you think that you are on the trip of a lifetime.

Last year, for my fortieth birthday, my wife and kids presented me with my first custom Ti bike. It is heaven!

B

I like to ride my bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDEnvEngr
    Last year, for my fortieth birthday, my wife and kids presented me with my first custom Ti bike. It is heaven!B
    I wish my parents were like that! MTBing for 4 years...biking for as long as I can remember.

Glad to have discovered it sooner than later!
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

conjoinicorned
    12 years since i destroyed my knee skiing, and took up mtb to help with the physio...

i don't even bother skiing anymore, i just ride.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

bi-winning
    I got my first "real" mountain bike in August of 2002. I have more passion for the sport now than i ever have.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

A problem???..

Quote Originally Posted by dwnhlldav
    How long is your history with mountain biking? I was just sitting here reading the thread about the riding addict and realized I have been mountain biking for over 15 years.

I started out following my friends on my Huffy Stalker, they were all on Treks. I got my first real mountain bike 15 years ago in september, a Cannondale M300

I have only had one other passion that long, I have been skiing longer then I have been riding, and recently I picked up surfing, but other then those two no other activity has stuck.

You could say I am addicted to mountain biking, but I'll never admit it, because accepting your problem is the first step in getting rid of it and I never want to stop riding.

I feel old, At 26 it's weird to have things that have I have been doing that long.
    That's your first mistake. Just because something is an addiction doesn't make it a problem. ;-) If that were true we'd all be in trouble.

Gravity Tester
    If you wanna count my riding my balloon tired Schwinn in an abandoned gravel quarry with steeps galore when I was 10, that's 35 years. My first "official" mountain bike, acquired with that goal in mind, was a Steel GF Wahoo (purple, no less) in 1994.

rad to the power of sick
    Since the summer of 2000.
    NOBL Wheels
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    http://soundcloud.com/deejayfeelgood

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Got my 1st mtb during my first yr of college in 89, a Diamond Back Apex. Went to school in the stix so there were plenty of places to ride.

Person
    Sep 2005
    Got my first mountain bike in 1990. Been riding other bikes offroad since I was 6, so that would be about 22 years.

mtbr member
    Started riding my Huffy Stu Thomson on trails around 1984 then soon bombed a grassy hill on my dad's Columbia 10 speed and was hooked on "adult bikes" for off-road.

Got a Univega Rover ST (actually a hybrid by today's standards) in 1986 and started mtb riding all over the woods near my town.

A 1994 C-dal M-600 was my first full-on MTB and I've been truely addicted ever since. And I still have that bike as my commuter - sometimes trail bike.

I'm a unitard!
    Rode my huffy bmx bike in the "woods" in the early 80s. Got off the bike and on the weights in High School. Bought my first "real" mountain bike in 94. Still have it.

mtbr member
    lets see, i guess ive been riding for all of 4 years now. I picked up a used Kona and am still riding it to this day, although it is signed up for major surgery soon.
    Floridas Other Crazy White Guy....http://www.swampclub.org/smf/index.php

Student
    i always biked as a kid, but my first real mountain bike i baught in 2004 when when i got real passionate about the sport. i have never looked back since.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado

Ariolimax columbianus

What color was the Diamond Back?

Quote Originally Posted by patrick_b
    Got my 1st mtb during my first yr of college in 89, a Diamond Back Apex. Went to school in the stix so there were plenty of places to ride.
    Diamond Back was my first mtb also. That was back in 86'-'87, I was in 8th grade going into 9th. The bike had a pretty cool faux marble paint job. I remember really wanting a Specialized but they were too expensive. Next bike was a Cannondale circa early 90's, the big aluminum tubing was pretty cool looking back then. Around '94 I bought a Rock Lobster with a Mag 21 fork, and full LX kit from one of the Sycip brothers. I still ride the Rock Lobster (now w/a rigid fork) when I really want to suffer.

No no...the OTHER LA.
    Jul 2005
    I road BMX bikes (Mongoose!) back in 1983. Strictly asphalt, but it was a way to get around. I road various (cheap) bikes until I got my drivers license in 1988. Dropped the bike like a hot potato. I road my first bike on dirt paths in 1995, so I guess that puts me at 11 years. However, 5 of those 11 years I didn't touch my bike. I've still got my first mountain bike - a diamond back traverse. Fully rigid (though I did upgrade with a stem shock) 18 speed. Heavy as hell, and rusting away quietly in the driveway.

My bikes hate me!
    BMX: 1980-1987
    I did used to ride trails to and from school when I was a kid. We had all this land the fairgrounds owned that was really fun and was on my way to school. Everything from singletrack walking trails to doubletrack access roads.

MTB: since 1987.
    My first ride was an oversized aluminum tube Trek 8500 w/ XT and BIOPACE! Remember that crap? I bent the fork outward on a drop the first day and the shop owner replaced it with a tange "big fork". When Manitou came out with the first sussy fork I had to save money for almost a year.I ended up with a Manitou 2.
    WOW! 2 inches of elastomer love. I thought I had died and gone to heaven.
    Last edited by cranberry; 07-28-2006 at 02:30 PM.
    Intensecycles
    Easternbikes
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    now, go dig a giant hole and bury your dumb ass in it....

mtbr member
    I got a KHS Montana in 1986 and rode it everywhere, including dirt trails. I broke a crank and then it got stolen... poor schmuck!

In Highschool (1990) I got a Scott Boulder (dark pink) to commute to work and soccer practice. I started riding 4 miles each way to work 6 days a week and got in good shape and one day, decided to hit a local trail (Hull's Gulch) as recommended by a fellow lifeguard that rode a cool Fat Chance. I was absolutely hooked. For the next 7 or so years, I was riding a few days a week offroad and my ski budget was split with bikes. I took a few years off and then about 5 years ago hit it hard again.

I'll claim 15 years mountain biking. Good thing years spent mountainbiking don't count toward getting old!
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

GTL
    mtbr member
    Probably mid 70's - had a Schwinn Mark V with knobbies that I can remember riding dirt roads and horse trails - would even ride it down the middle of a creek w/about 3 ft of water in it! Modified several klunkers after that and first off-the-shelf was a Peugeot Mtn. Express (late 70's early 80's??). Raced it til it broke then went to a Diamondback Arrival in mid / late 80's (my 12 yr old races on it now!). Went to a Yeti ARC in early 90. In CA raced at places like Whiskeytown Downhill, Quicksilver, Briones, Lemurian etc. Thus far the passion has never gone away!
    Le Tour de Tick MTB Race every April - 04/25/10 www.missouritrailssociety.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    1985 Rockhopper. 15 speeds of friction shifting Suntour style.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    In 1987 I bought an LX Kuwahara Shasta and hit the trails. My son was 5 and started riding the trails with me on his BMX so we have been riding mtb for 19 years. I bought him a Norco Micro Mountaineer shortly afterwards, it was tiny but a real mtb.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    81 to 87: BMX
    87 to current: Got interested in road biking and road racing - still love the road, but don't race anymore.
    89 to current: Had been reading about mountain biking, and saving my pennies, and bought an 89 Raleigh Chill. Still mountain biking, and like it much better that road riding.

There have been many bike upgrades along the way

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeson
    Diamond Back was my first mtb also. That was back in 86'-'87, I was in 8th grade going into 9th. The bike had a pretty cool faux marble paint job. I remember really wanting a Specialized but they were too expensive. Next bike was a Cannondale circa early 90's, the big aluminum tubing was pretty cool looking back then. Around '94 I bought a Rock Lobster with a Mag 21 fork, and full LX kit from one of the Sycip brothers. I still ride the Rock Lobster (now w/a rigid fork) when I really want to suffer.
    Mine was bought used from someone leaving school, so I'd guess it was an 87 or 88 model year. All black, Deore DX components, top mount thumb shifters and even bio-pace chain rings, IIRC.

Your post brought back some memories. My next bike was a Paramount with a Mag21 also.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    First real mountain bike was '91. Was riding a cheap Sears special before that.

Took that thing for miles around. Was riding even after getting my licence. Knew I was hooked then. Been riding ever since. At some points I swear it was the only thing that kept me sane.

By todays standards some of those early bikes were not all that good, but hey, I don't think too many of 'em were all that much better. And it was enough to get me hooked.

It could have been worse, I could have found golf instead.

JmZ

JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I started when I was about 5 going out on the trails with my dad and his friends. My mtn bike was an early 90's Rockhopper. It has only been a real addiction for a little while though.

Much like DwnhllDav, I have been skiing longer. I learned to ski when I was 2

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    In 1989 I had a major injury to my leg, and even after several surgeries and a year of physical therapy I could not run any distance anymore. So I took up biking for exercise.

At first I used a cruiser bike on some local paved roads, but as my distance increased I started highway riding. I quickly realized I really did not care for riding on pavement so I bought a mountain bike and started using the native surfaced forest roads.

Still riding, three bikes later.

mtbr member
    I've always kind of had a thing for bikes. My Mom tells me that I used to try to ride my tricycle off the deck stairs at my house when I was a little kid, I only remember doing it once, but she says I did it all the time. From there I rode bikes on the road with my Dad until I got my first taste of mountian biking when I was 12 or so, on a Murray Mt. Climber. I was hooked. I then progressed bike wise to a Peugeot Graystone and then a Haro Escape 8.2, soon after I got the Haro I was old enough to drive, so I got into cars and such. I didnt get back into MTB'ing until last Summer when I was 19. I'm 20 now and I upgraded to a C'Dale Prophet 600, I love it.
    Remember, "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time".-D.Ritchie

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    My 10 years in mountain biking story I wrote in Dec 04 is at Thanks 10 years of mountain biking…

Since then I left Iraq, retired from the Army and now have a nice contract manager's job and am riding the Central Texas trail systems I love so much once again.

trail rat
    Bought my first MTB, a custom frame from Geoffry Richmond with Suntour, TTT, TA, and Campagnolo parts in 1979. Wish I had kept it; wish I had pictures. Have owned a MTB continually since then, but have had a couple gaps of up to ten years when I did not ride offroad. I stated riding bikes seriously in 1970.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

New but learning
    Jul 2006
    I've been trail riding for about 2 months now. I just got into the sport this summer after riding on my old piece of garbage bike, and then I upgraded to a Giant Iguana. I'm loving it, and I keep learning lots about this new hobby of mine every time I ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Been biking for about five years now. 1st bike was a rigid IBOC too big for me. Had not ridden a bike in years. My friends took me along on a 12 mile killer.

hooked ever since.

The addiction part can be bad. Just look at all the money I spend! At least its more fun than cocaine. Better for you too.
    Without pedals it just aint worth it.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Too damn long.

I know how you feel though. I started in 1986, and am now collecting my old dream bikes, which are now considered "vintage" mtbs and are (even more) outrageously expensive. It makes me feel very old.

...and I just turned 30. (sigh)...
    Cause/Effect.

Adobo Lover
    Riding a BMX Murray to Elementary through middle school. Didn't start riding a bike again until college. First mtb was a GT outpost which I still have. I'm passing that to my brother in law hoping he will catch the mtb bug. A couple of years later after my first degree I ended up buy a Specialized 95 Stumpjumper FS. It took me 10 years of riding off and on to find the love again, I bought a Yeti 575 in November. The Stumpy is still ticking and is playing a back up roll. Still the originial drivetrain up until this past January. The X-ray Shifters from Gripshift finally blew up on me. So, 12 years or so of mtbing.
    National Athletic Trainers' Association, www.nata.org

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

37-40 years???

Rode Sting Rays and Typhoons with PB&J and Cool Aid for power food in 1960s on horse trails that are now a zoo where people from city come to do strange mating dances in tight bright colored clothes.

Modified Scwhinns, Elgins and Brit. Touring bikes to work better in dirt before the StumpJumper was first sold at my LBS, and I had the third one (first that did not go to shop employees) one they sold (1982 I think).

mtbr member

good thread

I got my first real mountain bike 15 years ago in september, a Cannondale M300.
    I got mine in April 1992, a Cannondale M400. It was heavenly. My father still rides it now and again.

I started riding trails in the early 80's on my Columbia 10 speed. Took a 7 year hiatus from bikes; age 13-20. Been on one (actually, several MTB's) ever since.
    I think it makes me feel like a 10 year old.
    -Chris

mtbr member
    May 2006
    1971 Peugot 10 speed
    1988 Norco Bush Pilot Biopace Sit or Stand and Hammer
    2005 RMB Element

One every seventeen years??

ENDO!!!
    Ive been riding since 89, then got really serious from about 94-99, then marriage, deployments( I'm in the army) kinda stopped me riding, Got back from Iraq in Feburary, bought a Rockhopper, and been riding as much as I can
    Just circles turning circles....

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Not sure when it was but my first memory is looking through MTBaction in the grocery store and seeing a green full rigid Fisher Pro Caliber and thinking that bike is cool.....holy cow it cost $1000.00. I bought a cheapy Bianchi the next week. In reality I'd been racing BMX and riding it in the hills behind my house since I was about 8 so it's all relative.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Sold my BMX in 1990, and picked up a used '87 Schwinn High Sierra in "black chrome" with Shimano SIS derailleurs/thumb shifters and of course Biopace cranks/chainrings. After a few rides I was hooked.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    May 1995. Is was a purple Cannondale M900. Nice ride.

mtbr member
    I've only been mountain biking for 4 years (first with my department store bike which didn't fit all that well and wasn't all that great and then two years on my current bike) but I've been skiing for about 15 years (I think this season will be my 15th season). I bike more than I ski, but I think I like skiing more than biking. It depends on if I just came back from a ride or not. I'm almost 18 by the way so I started skiing really really early.

mtbr member
    Started in 1991 with a Huffy in San Diego. I bought a Bianchi with a front susspension fork about six months later. I rode that until leaving CA and moving back to FL. I broke the frame on the roots in FL and bought a Trek Y-11 in 1997. I rode it until buying a Jamix XC this year. I still ride in Florida.

Mountain biking, if you can call it that in FL, is my youngest sport. At 43, I race catamarans (since 1979) and fly airplanes (since 1985). I also play the sax and clarinet (since 1975), although not professionally anymore.

Members who have read this thread: 0