Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

How long is the shortest trail that you have enjoyed riding?

So what was the shortest trail you have ever ridden that put a smile on your face? For me, its a 2 mile long trail that has everything but jumps. It has short uphills, fast downhills, sweeping and tight turns, views, a boardwalk over a swampy area, and some fast straightaways. Best part is that it is used very little but well maintained and you can ride both ways. Plus the park service has built 8 miles of new trails that add on to this trail. They are supposed to open in another month.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    There is one that is a 1.3 mile loop that I enjoyed when i first started......its a little boring now though.

Now broadcasting from CO
    There used to be this trail called Grave Ridge in Michaux S.F. (I say "used to" because it's been converted into a haul road for a logging tract now). It is maybe 0.75 mi long, but had some of the coolest rock features anywhere. It was this narrow, almost knife-edge ridge with shales and conglomerates tilted almost on their sides. Once you learned the "line" you could do it in about 5 min, or you could try and put together a new line with all the rocks. Definitely one of my favorite trails ever. I really hope it comes back some day.

EDIT: I did some Google Recon and found that trail may be being/is rebuilt because it was a official trail (one of the few). Good news...
    Last edited by PAmtbiker; 11-15-2013 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Additional Info
    Brought to you by rocks.

beater

I can think of a couple chunky trails I enjoy that are less than a mile long. One is granite rubble, the other is limestone ledges. The second one is also right across the street from my house, so I got that going for me.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Chute de Sachem, a little connector trail between two of the main trails at Diablo. A whopping maybe 30' long or so.

One of my fav fun little bits there, and the #@^@#%s got rid of it!
    Last edited by scrublover; 11-15-2013 at 07:07 PM.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    May 2007
    0.2 miles. Exit Strategy at Pine Hill Park, Rutland, VT
    Eric

mtbr member
    "Lightning", a .7 mile flow trail at Oak Mountain State Park. Bit much for this beginner on a hardtail, so I keep it on the ground, but it's still a lot of fun!
    Lightning Mountain Bike Trail, Pelham, AL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Chute de Sachem, a little connector trail between to of the main trails at Diablo. A whopping maybe 30' long or so.

^^^+1 always loved that trail!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Sometimes I throw down some logs in my cul de sac and practice log hopping after the kids go to bed. So, that's probably 40'. Basically, if I'm on my bicycle, I'm having fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Kessel Run, Fruita.

I've done it in 13 parsecs.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Gnarly
    My favorite shortest trails are at my local DH bike park (Blue Mtn). From the "filter" down the trail to the gondola takes about 5 minutes for ride down... doesn't seem like much but each trail is so unique.

There are 15 individual trails (all levels of difficulty) There are advanced runs that turn my crank Steep sections, popup jumps, drops, wallrides, rocky and rooty. The names of those runs are Grab Bag, Big Sleeze, O-Chute and Haole... and the rest are just as fun
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Ow!
    Yep, favorite short trail is at Angelfire. Ziggy right from the top--not even certain it is one mile. Classed as "easiest", but, of course, the faster you go, the more technical if becomes. Fun, fun, fun. Great warm-up for the rest of the way down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Chute de Sachem, a little connector trail between to of the main trails at Diablo. A whopping maybe 30' long or so.

I love that trail, it's short but it's extremely fun. I really miss it ;/

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Have a lattice-like network of footpaths/trails right behind my house, I think I'm the only mtb on them, mostly people walking their dogs or kids cutting cutting through the woods to get to school. Probably 1 mile if you added them all up but only 0.3 it so end to end. I can ride for a hour or so, weaving different patterns without doing the same section in the same direction more than twice, some of it fairly technical. Really fun and right out my back door

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    less than a quarter mile. The first trail I ever rode with my brother when I first started riding. Essentially just a traverse but short technical climbs and descents. The first time I rode it I walked several sections and I swore I would clean it going each direction some day. To be honest I'm not sure that I have achieved my goal or not, I think I have, but ten years later I don't really care either way because even if I have, it's still a personal win if I clear a select few obstacles that haunted me for so long while I was learning to put my tech skills to the test, both up and down. Also this section of trail handed me a concussion (on a climb, no less), always a pleasure to beat that little piece. It's personal.

Retro on Steroids
    1.8 miles. 1300 feet of descent (14% average grade)

Repack
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Grew up very close to Lake Dennison State Park in north central MA. During the off-season I used to ride the small foot paths that connected the campsites. A lot of fun. There was also a heavily used game trail close by that was fun to ride. None were official but all great.

mtbr member
    My apartment hallway can be pretty fun.
    definite malingerer

Trail Ninja
    Anything fast, sprintable, with curvy bends, no real need to hit the brakes, gentle rollers/rolling ground, and a few scattered bumps (optional and poppable), on a slight downhill slope would be in the running for favorite trail for me. Not coincidentally, most of the good ones like that get names that most locals know. They can be as short as 14 seconds (under 0.2 mile) and even be contested on Strava... I love how a simple thrill, such as going over a roller and into a dip fast enough and getting a weightless feel, due to how the bike follows the contour of the dip and sort of leaves you hanging in the air for a second, doesn't ever get old. On the other hand, the short trails that blow through the elevation/gravity that you spent 20+ minutes to climb up get mixed impressions from me.
    Last edited by Varaxis; 11-18-2013 at 04:36 PM.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish View Post
    Kessel Run, Fruita.

I've done it in 13 parsecs.
    Parsecs is a length

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I usually think of ride length in time, not distance. There are plenty of 1/2 hr- 1 hr loops near my house in CT that have fantastic singletrack. Lucky me... :-)

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post
    Parsecs is a length
    Take my advice, dude. Let the wookie win.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Its a real measurement, not just a star wars reference.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish View Post
    Kessel Run, Fruita.I've done it in 13 parsecs.
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post
    Its a real measurement, not just a star wars reference.
    But a parsec is just a little too long to be considered as a short trail

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Little connecter trail below may house called "Home Run" on Eagle Mountain. Maybe 500m long, but really flowy and fun. Beats riding the road it parallels by far!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast