Thread: How High

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

How High

Just curious as to how high of a drop y'all are comfortable taking a hardtail without worry of it snapping the frame? I had a chance today, and chickened out, on a drop that would have been about 2+ feet but is just got me wondering if the bike would even handle it. I know that it would depend on the bike itself and the rider on top...I want to get more adventurous but I don't want to buy a new bike either.

Thanks

Bill

Candlestick Maker
    I've always been more concerned about my ability to handle the drop than the bike's. I do 2 foot drops occasionally on lightweight aluminum frames. I'd assume that many frames can easily handle much bigger drops.
    Last edited by baker; 08-09-2011 at 08:14 PM.
    baker

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Lol hardtails can take a lot of abuse unless its a crap frame or your really big. I've taken my avalanche on 3-4 feet drops, jumps and its fine and I'm at 220-225 fully geared.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

bi-winning
    I took a two foot drop on a hardtail frame that was already cracked. It did not break.

I would not knowingly do the same today, but hey, I was young....
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

since 4/10/2009
    I think the biggest drop I've taken on a hardtail was about 2-3ft. It was a drop to flat, my tires were underinflated, and I got a flat spot in my rim from that. That's about the max height I'm comfortable with on my FS these days, too. All that previous talk is regarding drops to flat.

When it comes to drops to tranny, my comfort level extends a bit because the landing is much smoother. It doesn't jar the body and it's not as hard on the bike. There's really not anything bigger than about 2' on my local trails, though. We have one elevated structure that has a drop to tranny on the exit. The total drop right off the lip is maybe a foot or a foot and a half. If you have much horizontal momentum on the exit, that drop can be much more (the structure is probably 5.5' high). We have some jumps that you can get MAYBE 4' of air on, but the landings are almost all flat ones, so I scrub a little speed before hitting them.

I've just never been all that comfortable in the air, so I keep myself from going overboard.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Well, that settles it then. The next time I go there, I wont wuss out!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Ya, as long as you got a decent bike and are comfortable with your handling of it, I wouldn't worry about it.

On my current favorite trail I have a couple 2' drops and a couple jumps that I can that 3'+ on. My KHS HT is still in one piece.

Let the bikes in!
    I've taken my five-o off 3ft drops to flat. Hypothetically, I think it could take 8-10 ft drop 2 flat before punishing me. Someday I hope to know for sure.

The White Jeff W
    Absorb the landing with your legs. Be smooth & loose.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    May 2010

legs!

Like Jeff just said...Use your legs, That's the best suspension you have on a hardtail!

mtbr member
    I went off a 2 1/2 foot jump, frame handled it fine, front tire folded like a tent. That was on single wall rim. I have since upgraded to a Trek Mamba which has double wall rims. I think there are other things that would give before the frame but thats just me.

mtbr member
    How you break the bike depends on how you land it. Most harsh landings will break your fork or taco your rims before they'll break the frame. Others will break the frame at the headset, some will break it elsewhere. Learn to land smoothly and fluidly consistentlyon smaller drops first. Once you can land it without jarring or bouncing every time at one height, you're ready to take it up a level. As others have already pointed out, if you land it right you won't break anything. Don't ask me how I know any of this.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

mtbr member
    Unlikely you'd break a frame on just one drop. Much more likely that you'd crack a frame from repeated flat landings, and THEN snap it. If you have a creaky headset or bottom bracket that you just can't figure out, check all your welds for hairline cracks.

Large drops are easy on the frame, as you can't stick them unless you land smooth. The repeated 2 or 3 footers to the front end are the frame killers.

I routinely hit 6' high stuff on my hardtail, and I've been running it since 2005. But I'm not hitting stuff with harsh landings either. Not as young as I was, eh?

Professional Crastinator
    If it's just a "normal" coasting drop with no funky moves or a stall right at the edge required, get your body low before you drop. Considering you can drop your body about a foot without even getting off your bike, you get low, then your bike drops 2 ft. while your body only drops 1 ft. It's much less punishing to both. Just don't forget to get your 1 ft. of body compression back before the bike lands. Otherwise you get tire burn.
    You can even lower your body, then when you ride off the drop, lower your rear wheel so that it sorta "reaches out" to the ground in anticipation of your landing. That is prob'ly the smoothest way to go because then your body drops even less before your bike makes contact, spreading out the landing impact.
    I've done a few 4 ft. to flat landings using light weight XC gear. It wasn't pretty. It wasn't smooth. But nothing broke. I'm 185# and riding rigid with 1650g wheels.

Of course, if you're pulling some sorta hot doggin' move do a front flip. Everyone likes a front flip.

-F

Real Mountain Bikers!
    Aug 2009

Legs & arms

Quote Originally Posted by krjr13 View Post
    Like Jeff just said...Use your legs, That's the best suspension you have on a hardtail!
    With a hardtail your body is the shock absorber. Use both legs & arms to smoothen the impact when you land. Do it on the right moment you hit the ground. O course a nice landing will help a lot.

You won't believe me the size of the drops I've hit with a hardtail. You can do almost any drop!

Riding a hardtail gives you also lots of skills and when you pass to a full suspension bike, everything is much easier.
    Riding the best singletracks on earth!
    www.inkasadventures.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KEITH21 View Post
    I went off a 2 1/2 foot jump, frame handled it fine, front tire folded like a tent. That was on single wall rim. I have since upgraded to a Trek Mamba which has double wall rims. I think there are other things that would give before the frame but thats just me.
    Yup, one of my wrecks this year was just like this - went over about 2' jump, landed fine, but rear tire went as flat as my wife's chest.