Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

How the hell did you get into mountain biking?

Hi, guys (Sorry for cross posting. Posted in General Forum as well.)

I am working on a school project and I need your help.

I need to know what made you to realize mountain biking is so awesome and made you purchase your first MTB.

What was your motive?
    Did you have any cycling background prior to that?

I need to know!
    Any comment would help.

Thanks in advance!

C
    Last edited by THE DESIGNER; 06-28-2013 at 04:24 PM.

mtbr member
    because i hated running

less is more
    I suck at endurance sports - therefore road biking. Love the technical workings of bikes and how they mesh w/ athletes. For bodybuilding I needed something to burn fat.
    Finesse is everything.

mtbr member
    Around 1985-86 I saw some kind of tv show about these new fangled things called mountain bikes. It looked like fun so I saved up my money and bought a shiny chrome Ross at Lechmere for about $300. I was a freshman in high school. We don't have any mountains, but it was fun to ride on trails and I rode it all over town.

My previous cycling experience was standard kid riding around town stuff.

I didn't ride it much in college, but then I saw a picture of Bob Weir mountain biking and it motivated me to get out and explore some more and actually do more trail riding. Then a buddy of mine started to really get into it and I traded a quarter oz of mushrooms for a Trek singletrack 970 frame (made in America chromoly, it's sweet, still have it). The rest is history.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

Soulforce Cycling

How the hell did you get into mountain biking?

I moved to Colorado and needed something to do in the summer.
    Soulforce Cycling | Riding apparel from size Small to 5XL. Visit us at - http://www.soulforcecycling.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I was a pretty decent distance runner in high school.. I tore the IT band on my hip and for rehab I was told to ride a bike. My parents house backs up to what was fort ord so I got a mountain bike.. I liked it a whole lot better than cross country running and track..

mtbr member
    I'm a connoisseur of fine adrenaline.

humber river advocate
    saw one in a bike shop way back in the day (late 80's) while shopping for a road bike... said hey that would be fun... been hooked ever since...
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Used to hike a lot and jog a lot. Knees and ankles started bothering me, quit jogging and got fat. Bought a mountain bike and never looked back.

mtbr member
    I just decided one day that mountain biking would be a fun way to exercise. At the time, I had no friends that did it.

mtbr member
    Bought a copy of MBR back in 1995; shortly after got a Trek 810, one of my friends at the time was into biking as well so it worked out well.

I lost interest a few years after that, then recently started working in a bike shop, got a new bike and don't think I will be looking back any time soon

mtbr member

Re: How the hell did you get into mountain biking?

New Mexico kept shutting down the USFS land due to fire danger. As in closing it for all of Spring and Summer. This included the rivers, go figure. I was a pretty hardcore boater with no where to play and got tired of staring at my boats in the garage. So I sold them and bought a decent bike. I could ride state, private, BLM, and the reservation during the closures. I was shortly hooked there after. But once the NF and river opened again, I just didn't have time to boat as I could get a great ride in the same amount of time it took just to get on the water.
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...

squish, squish in da fish
    In 96 I fell into a some cash from....we will say a business venture. I've always been into wake and snowboarding and wanted to try something new. Past by a LBS and ended up buying a barracuda. Rode it for several months then got in a nasty car crash. Been outta the loop until last summer and now have a '12 giant talon 1, '13 canfeild nimble 9, '12 trek cobia frame to be built for my daughter. I've got OCD so when I'm in I'm all in.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've loved bikes since I was 5 years old and growing up in the country there really wasn't much else to do. BMX bikes were my transportation to freedom although they weren't that great for climbing hills of which they were many. Fast forward a few years and one day my brother showed up with a mountain bike. The brakes actually worked, those big tires would just roll right through the woods and the best part was there wasn't a hill around that couldn't be tamed. I've been hooked ever since. Sure there were a few years where I didn't have the time but it was never far from my thoughts and 25 years later it's as much fun now as it was then.

EMBA Member
    When I was a kid in the 60's in San Diego our house backed up to a canyon. We built a trail and raced around it with all the neighborhhod kids. There was also a steep area we dared each other to go down.

Fast forward 20 years and I've been riding the roads for a while and I share a house in Santa Barbara with 3 mountain bikers. All the memories of kid play got me motivated to buy a mountain bike - a Trek 850 Antelope. So I spent my college years at UCSB exploring the trails in the area.

Fast forward another 20 years and I live in Seattle and am hiking as much as I can and commuting to work on my road bike. Then, I hear about the Mountain Bike Alliance partnering with the local gov't to turn an unused open space into a dedicated mountain bike park and the park is going to be ONE MILE from my house. I went out shortly thereafter, bought a new bike, and started riding off road for the third time in my life. Lovin it as much as I ever did.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator

How I Got Hooked....

I was a homeless, former meth addict who used crappy, disposable bikes to get around. I always admired "real" mountain bikes - but my then-current circle of "friends," would never allow ownership of one(they stole them all the time).

In 2006, I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure(CHF) at age 42, after 22 years of non-stop tobacco, alcohol and being strung-out every day. As I lay in my hospital bed - I told myself, "If I even survive this (CHF)...I'm quitting EVERYTHING and taking-up Mountain Biking." Well, I survived and the first thing I did when I was released from rehab, was buy a new 2006 Trek 4900 Disc. Problem was, I could barely ride around the block twice, without gasping for air. I was out of shape, fat and had to hold my breath just to tie my own shoes! The road to recovery was a tough one. But, I held on tight and made tiny strides, every day. I rode the bike to my new job - after 15 years of being unemployed.

Before I knew it - the 90 pounds of post-rehab weight gain was gone. It was time for a new bike. The 33-pound Trek hardtail was very instrumental in building my fitness up and got me to and from my "recovery job" of spinning Pizza every day. By then, I was riding almost level dirt paths and I was wanting something more up to the task of handling real-world trails. I befriended an XC racer who was hard-up for cash, and bought his 2005 Cannondale F2000SL race hardtail for $1300. The 18-pound Cannondale disc hardtail was really what got me "into" my bike. After being on a bike that was twice as heavy - the race HT was a welcome "reward" for my weight loss and newfound fitness. My first outing on the trail was a bloody mess; I crashed almost every quarter mile.....but I LOVED every minute of it. Obviously, the race bike I had was way too fast for my skillset. If it was not for this Cannondale - I would not become the hopeless weight weenie that I am today. Riding a light bike is almost like smoking crack.....once you try it - you'll settle for nothing less.

One of my best friends owns a few bike shops - so I get to demo literally every brand of bike out on real trails, and not just a parking lot. Read my bike and component reviews. So, basically MTB replaced my destructive lifestyle, with a healthy one. For the first time in my life - I discovered I do have abs! Although I'll never race(my heart condition will not permit it) - I can always look and feel like one(my new "race" 29er below). I intend to ride MTB until I drop dead....

Last edited by Zachariah; 06-29-2013 at 10:06 AM.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

BMXd as a kid in the 70/80s. Started weight lifting at 16 years old and hated doing cardio and legs. By 20 years old i was well on the way to a jail build (huge upper body with stick legs) and knew i had to come up with a way to work my legs/lungs/heart that i enjoyed. Decided to get a bike. I had planned on just getting a cruiser size BMX, but my step brother sold me on getting a MTB. 22 years later i have to go to the gym to keep my upper body matching my legs.
    "Bigring, that's deep. ...Well, I suspect it is. I didn't read it."

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Great story!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    I was a homeless, former meth addict who used crappy, disposable bikes to get around. I always admired "real" mountain bikes - but my then-current circle of "friends," would never allow ownership of one(they stole them all the time).

In 2006, I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure(CHF) at age 42, after 22 years of non-stop tobacco, alcohol and being strung-out every day. As I lay in my hospital bed - I told myself, "If I even survive this (CHF)...I'm quitting EVERYTHING and taking-up Mountain Biking." Well, I survived and the first thing I did when I was released from rehab, was buy a new 2006 Trek 4900 Disc. Problem was, I could barely ride around the block twice, without gasping for air. I was out of shape, fat and had to hold my breath just to tie my own shoes! The road to recovery was a tough one. But, I held on tight and made tiny strides, every day. I rode the bike to my new job - after 15 years of being unemployed.

Before I knew it - the 90 pounds of post-rehab weight gain was gone. It was time for a new bike. The 33-pound Trek hardtail was very instrumental in building my fitness up and got me to and from my "recovery job" of spinning Pizza every day. By then, I was riding almost level dirt paths and I was wanting something more up to the task of handling real-world trails. I befriended an XC racer who was hard-up for cash, and bought his 2005 Cannondale F2000SL race hardtail for $1300. The 18-pound Cannondale disc hardtail was really what got me "into" my bike. After being on a bike that was twice as heavy - the race HT was a welcome "reward" for my weight loss and newfound fitness. My first outing on the trail was a bloody mess; I crashed almost every quarter mile.....but I LOVED every minute of it. Obviously, the race bike I had was way too fast for my skillset. If it was not for this Cannondale - I would not become the hopeless weight weenie that I am today. Riding a light bike is almost like smoking crack.....once you try it - you'll settle for nothing less.

One of my best friends owns a few bike shops - so I get to demo literally every brand of bike out on real trails, and not just a parking lot. Read my bike and component reviews. So, basically MTB replaced my destructive lifestyle, with a healthy one. For the first time in my life - I discovered I do have abs! Although I'll never race(my heart condition will not permit it) - I can always look and feel like one(my new "race" 29er below). I intend to ride MTB until I drop dead....

mtbr member

Beautiful story! Great to hear such a powerful turn-around! Keep it up and keep ridin'!
    "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9

OTB Pro
    I bought my first mountain bike as a mean to get around campus at my college. Rode on a couple trails and was hooked. Now I have a road bike for my campus commute and ride trails at least 4-5 times a week. Getting out and riding a mountain bike on the trails is the best feeling I have ever felt. No better way just to get outside and forget about life for a while.

EW1
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Prior experience with biking came as a kid on BMX bikes and later on an old free spirit road bike. I started mountain biking when one of my neighbors asked me to ride in he woods behind my house. At the time, I had a cheapie Nashbar AT1 MTB, The trails were mostly fire roads with areas that were cleared for future housing developments which were fun due to the hills and mud created by construction equipment.

After two months of doing this every weekend, I was hooked. I ended up building a singlespeed hardtail mountain bike, bought a roof top bike rack and find myself driving up to an hour to hit good trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Dude, that is awesome!

Rogue Exterminator

I just wanted to quote the story one more time because it is so cool.

Seriously though congrats on your success.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

High Desert MTBer
    From as early as I can remember, getting away somewhere on a bike was an adventure that thrilled me. 'Adventuring' was, and always has been, a great escape for me, and a great way to find calm. Every time I go out on my MTB now it is an adventure in some way, larger or smaller, but still an adventure.
    Put alongside the thrill and the challenge of exploring new trails, conquering trail sections, and constantly striving to improve, sometimes successfully, sometimes not, this pastime will always inspire me.
    Reading the meth guy's story is an inspiration too, I know that MTBing can pull people out of adversity because it has happened with me also. Not to that extent, but I know only too well how therapeutic it can be to get out on the trails. When life is tough, a good bike ride is a step in a healing direction.
    It's all Here. Now.

pin it
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Reading the meth guy's story is an inspiration too, I know that MTBing can pull people out of adversity because it has happened with me also. Not to that extent, but I know only too well how therapeutic it can be to get out on the trails. When life is tough, a good bike ride is a step in a healing direction.
    Can't agree with you more, rockerc!

I was strictly a road cyclist until 2007 when I met a guy who introduced me to mtnb and then dh in 2009. It was a steep learning curve for this 40ish yr old female who only rode pavement. After 6 years, several bikes, broken bones, difficult cancer treatments, mishaps and adventures later, I married that Singlesprocket guy. We are still solidly together building trails, and shredding the gnar.

We look forward to further adventures to Mont Ste Anne to the Okanagan and beyond!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast