Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Sorry but if you are fortunate enough to go to Durango and you spend your time riding mediocre locals trails rather than all the amazing high alpine riding they have, that is a major fail. If you're not willing to drive an hour for amazing riding then IMO you don't have "passion".

I had other obligations and besides, leaving from your front door (carless) and finding yourself on singletrack within 5 minutes is priceless IMO. I would rather spend the 2 hours (round trip) that would be otherwise wasted driving riding instead. Maybe your passion is driving?

MTB B'dos
    I don't have any of your luxury to drive more than that except in tight twisty turns or I'd be off the island, that being said, hell yes I'd do that drive a couple times a month to switch things up. Unlike you though, I'd be up there to ride 5-6 hours in a day if I only went for one, but more likely would stay over night and ride for two days to make it worth while.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    I'm curious as to how many hours you'd drive for different bike trails? Or maybe better trails? More interesting trails? Harder trails?

I have four trail networks within 25 minutes of my house. They're all fun, flowy, trails and I can do 15+ miles at each one without having to run laps.

But I recently discovered that I live a bit over two hours away from some of the best trails in the country. I'm in NE Atlanta and can be in Western NC and northern GA in under 2.5 hours. I recently drove up to Dupont and LOVED it. I may do that multiple times a month!

But mountain biking, for me, isn't like skiing. I ride trail/XC so I climb every hill I descend. Given that, I don't drive 4 hours round trip to mountain bike for 8 hours, I drive 4 hours to mountain bike for 2-3 hours. Perfect to me!

Agree?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    I had other obligations and besides, leaving from your front door (carless) and finding yourself on singletrack within 5 minutes is priceless IMO. I would rather spend the 2 hours (round trip) that would be otherwise wasted driving riding instead. Maybe your passion is driving?
    If I spent that extra 2 hours riding my local trails every time, I would soon be bored to tears. Local trails you can ride to are awesome but they are for after work or days when I don't have time to venture further. Of course driving to ride is a trade off and I ride my ass off to make the most of my time. But there is so much amazing riding out there, why would you not want to check it out when you can. When I am old and on my deathbed, wishing I rode more laps on my local trails will not be one of my regrets in life.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    In Portland I have trails I can ride to. There are trails that are an easy 15 minute drive, and there are trails that are an hour and a half drive. When I'm not worried about fuel cost and food money I'll take a trip a ways out. Though, generally, with all the trails that are easy to get to in my area, I'm usually using the local trails.
    Frozen Trails... err

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    On average, I drive 200+ miles per week for mountain biking. I'm about 80 miles from santa cruz, 100 miles from sonoma, 120 miles from auburn, 20 miles from a local wednesday night diablo group ride and 75 miles from another wednesday evening skeggs group ride. I have local trails 5 and 10 miles from my house but those trail systems suck and I only use them for the occasional test ride or recovery ride. If I didn't travel so much, my riding would feel a lot like training. I think riding different terrain and seeing new trail features on a regular basis stretches the cognitive aspects of trail riding, which I think is equally as important as physical fitness on a bike. I like to race most of the grassroots XC and endurance type stuff around here so I'm used to traveling. When there isn't a race I feel like I still need to pack up the car and drive somewhere. I live in the bay area, california.

Candlestick Maker
    When I am old and on my deathbed, wishing I rode more laps on my local trails will not be one of my regrets in life.
    Well, I guess everyone is different. Spending time driving to better trails is a much lower priority than spending time with my family...Situations and priorities vary from person to person. Living in Vancouver, I bet you have some excellent trails to drive to!
    baker

mtbr member
    If I spent that extra 2 hours riding my local trails every time, I would soon be bored to tears. Local trails you can ride to are awesome but they are for after work or days when I don't have time to venture further. Of course driving to ride is a trade off and I ride my ass off to make the most of my time. But there is so much amazing riding out there, why would you not want to check it out when you can. When I am old and on my deathbed, wishing I rode more laps on my local trails will not be one of my regrets in life.

You are painting "local trails" with a generic brush. Some of us have local trails that are destination trails for others. Part of the passion for me is knowing I can ride great trails from my house without having to deal with loading up a vehicle, driving, and burning fuel just to ride my bike. I wouldn't call my local trails epic, but they are far from boring.

Quote Originally Posted by baker
    Living in Vancouver, I bet you have some excellent trails to drive to!
    Since when is San Diego in Vancouver??

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by BumpityBump View Post
    Err, what? I don't believe I ever referenced you or San Diego (which I have heard has some decent riding)...
    baker

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxmark View Post
    In Portland I have trails I can ride to. There are trails that are an easy 15 minute drive, and there are trails that are an hour and a half drive. When I'm not worried about fuel cost and food money I'll take a trip a ways out. Though, generally, with all the trails that are easy to get to in my area, I'm usually using the local trails.
    I too am in Portland and it seems anything worth riding is at least an hour outside of the city (with no traffic). On weekends I drive 3 hour round trips both days to get my fix in. Portland does not have decent trails, but we are fortunate enough to have many fantastic trail systems within 1.5 hours away. Got to pay to play

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    Err, what? I don't believe I ever referenced you or San Diego (which I have heard has some decent riding)...
    Sorry, to clarify, evdog said he lives in San Diego, I thought your Vancouver reference was toward him.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I normally ride some local trails, occasionally I'll go up to Trumbull, CT which isn't far at all. Summer of 2016 I plan to head out to Whistler for a few weeks with some friends of mine. We plan to do some XC riding and of course some downhill.

mtbr member

Re: How far would you (do you) drive for different trails?

I just can't wrap my head around the mentality of "I live in 'x' city, so why travel?". Maybe if that x is whistler. Maybe.

Even if I lived in Brevard, or Chattanooga, or... I'd still travel to ride. No place has every construction style, or every type of terrain. People in different places build trails in different ways, and experiencing that variety is amazing and addicting. You ATL guys should consider Chattanooga btw. Sick riding. Chattanooga guys should consider Birmingham and Anniston.

I live in Michigan, and my favorite kind of riding is ultra tech and bouldering. We have scores of trails within an hour, and they are great, but none of them quench my thirst for Pennsylvania rocks. I spend three weeks a year driving thousands of miles to sample new dirt. A couple weekends in there too. Highlight of my year.

Agree with most that 2 hours is the day trip limit. But I've driven across multiple states, just to avoid inclement weather, and to ride 20 milez of new dirt, before moving on to the next place. I don't bother trying to justify the time or cost. The experience is priceless, and totally worth it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

How far would you (do you) drive for different trails?

Headed out Wednesday for a trip to Oregon from SoCal (18 hours) for some trails

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Living here in So-Cal, I am surrounded by amazing riding. I usually travel about 10-15 miles to get to my usual rides, and 45 miles to get to the really good stuff. Just for fitness, I ride from my front door a couple days a week. Usually 1-2 times a year, I travel about 130 miles to get up to the Sierra's for truly Epic riding. I'm not opposed to traveling further to experience new terrain, but for me it's a economic thing too. Travel cost money I just don't have at this time, so that plays into the equation for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Personally, I wouldn't drive more than 45 minutes to an hour to get to a trail. This limits me to only a few trails but I don't care.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by BumpityBump View Post
    You are painting "local trails" with a generic brush. Some of us have local trails that are destination trails for others. Part of the passion for me is knowing I can ride great trails from my house without having to deal with loading up a vehicle, driving, and burning fuel just to ride my bike. I wouldn't call my local trails epic, but they are far from boring.

Totally disagree with this. If this was really the case, ANYONE who would drive to trails would ALWAYS drive to your SAME trails, but people obviously ride other trails on this planet. I just did a 40-45 miler yesterday (see pic) from my house...BUT you gotta change it up and experience other stuff. Day before was a DH race at the ski resort 30-45 min South. Before I lived here, I lived pretty close to Sedona. Did I ride Sedona every time? Heck no. I had lots and lots of trails in my immediate area, but Flagstaff had more variety and vertical, whereas Sedona had better views and interesting features, then there was Phoenix, which had all kinds of varied riding in the Valley. Then there were longer trips to places in the White Mountains, Pinal Peak, CA, etc. That's just one of the places I've lived, but even with great local trails it's fun to go mix it up and explore. Do a challenging ride somewhere else. Do something you haven't done before.

Drive 2hrs each way each weekend? Heck no. Drive maybe an hour each way one day and maybe 2hrs each way once a month? Sure! Maybe an additional trip one month or a light month another.

How far would you (do you) drive for different trails?-img_1046s.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Hell I have to drive 35-45mins minimum to get to a trail. Unless for some reason I have a weekday off I only hit trails on the weekends these days with having kids and all. But anytime we go out of town I bring my bike with so I can ride whatever is in the area were going. I'd like to drive less for normal rides but have no issues traveling on a weekend and finding something new.
    Sent from my Nokia Stupid Phone using Tapatalk
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Totally disagree with this. If this was really the case, ANYONE who would drive to trails would ALWAYS drive to your SAME trails, but people obviously ride other trails on this planet.
    Your comment implies that I said my local trails are the only ones worth driving to ride. I never said that. I was disagreeing with the "local" trails being boring comment. My point was that not all local trails are the same just because they are "local", thus the same brush comment. Granted, what bores some, wouldn't have the same effect on others.

I have ridden a lot of places in numerous states over the last 25 years, I'm pretty happy where I'm at now and don't feel the need to travel much unless I am in an area for other reasons (Southwest UT later this month, and a 40 mile drive to a new area this morning to ride with a good friend I hadn't seen in quite a few months). There is no disagreeing with it, because that's what works for ME.

I just drove 3hrs each way to sample some new dirt today. It's steeper than the stuff I usually ride, and more rocky, so I did fewer miles. I still had a great ride. I just wish I'd had more time to ride throughout the summer so I could have handled more miles today.

I have trails much closer to home. There are two between my house and where I work. All in all, I have 3 not bad trails within half an hour. A couple more short super beginner trails not much worth my time. Another one about 30-45min away. Some real destination type trails an hour or so away. I still haven't ridden everything in THAT area yet. And more is getting built there, too.

I definitely hit the stuff close to home after work, but also occasionally on weekends when I can't/don't want to travel far.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow View Post
    Well you are lucky.....will be in Durango starting this Friday for 10 days!

I live in Golden so can ride from my house and regularly drive to Breckenridge to ride about an hour away. Longest one day trip I did was Monarch Crest....spent 5 hours total in the car. Won't do that again.
    That was just a smart-ass comment on my part. I do drive on weekends to hit the high country stuff, but that can usually be had with an hour or less of driving. And there are road trips, Fruita, Moab, Sedona and such, but those are typically done when the high country is out of season.
    Still, there is a lot of very good riding to be had within a couple of mile of town.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

2006 Yeti AS-X
    The longest I have driven to drive trails was 852 miles (Kansas City to Fruita, Colorado). 1000 if you count Moab which was a side trip from Fruita.

I go to Fruita every year and have been for the past 4 years. It's been an annual pilgrimage to me and I never get tired of those trails. I love it now just as I did the first time I rode them way back in May, 2010.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

meh... whatever
    i'll drive as far as needed to get to the good stuff! i don't consider the 16 hour drive to moab too far to go ride for a few days and head back.

ozarks are 5 hours away. pisgah about the same as moab. lots of good places in between.

headed up to the pacific nw next spring for some riding. bend, eugene, BC, vancouver, bellingham, etc.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

psycho cyclo addict
    I can pedal to the trail I maintain and a couple of others.

More interesting/rocky/technical ones are 40 min to an hour or so by car. Which I go to maybe 10-12 times a year.

I typically do ~4 road trips up to ~200 mi away every year as well...
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Spent 20 hours in the truck this weekend for 1 glorious day of riding.
    14 S-Works Epic WC
    14 Yeti ARC
    14 S-Works Crux Disc
    15 Echo Big Deal

Perpetual n00b
    Drove 10 hours from Ogden, UT to McKenzie River Trail in Oregon this weekend. Worth it.

How far would you (do you) drive for different trails?-10598336_1535357500013276_480396788_n.jpg
    When the chicks at school see how gay we are, they're gonna be all over us.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast