Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Reluctant Tree Hugger

How do you spend your time on the trails?

What type of biker are you? I don't mean XC, FR, DH, AM, etc. As far as I'm concerned it's all MTB. What I mean is what do you spend your time doing?

Do you ride the entire time all out as fast as you can improving your endurance or trying to beat your previous Strava time?

Do you find techy sections and ride them over and over again improving your skills?

Do you ride kinda slowly and leisurely, perhaps taking a rest in scenic areas?

Racing?

Bikepacking expeditions?

Riding in groups whatever the pace?

Other?

I'm too slow and don't have the endurance for XC or racing, but try riding as fast as I can in short sprints and then ride techy sections a few times when I come across them. If I can't be fast, I can at least be skilled.
    Live like there's no tomorrow. But pay your bills just in case there is.

Silence! I kill you!
    Depends on my mood. Last ride I knew I was going on a long steep climb that was about 1/2 way through the ride. So I took it easy on the way to the climb. After I got to the top I realized I could really push and possibly finish the ridd in under 2 hours, so I did. Todays ride will be short so more of a speed/endurance type ride.
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saladin View Post
    Do you ride the entire time all out as fast as you can improving your endurance or trying to beat your previous Strava time?
    This one for me.

However, about once a month, I pick one of my rides and go for longer distance at a slow speed. So if my normal loops on a particular trail is 20 miles, I'll add a loop or lap and bump that to 25 or so.

Two years ago, when I was just getting back in to MTB, a long ride was 10 miles and I was useless for hours after that ride. Two weeks ago, I did a 35 mile ride...about killed me, but it was good progress.
    Yeti ASR-5
    Niner One9

MTB B'dos
    I'd say I like to do a lot of the options you listed.
    Sometimes if I'm riding solo or with just a few fast guys we'll give it our all on the trail and just wait up at the end and then head to the next one.
    Most of the times these days I ride with groups, the speed isn't really fast, especially when lots of climbing is involved, but they're a good group of guys who don't complain and will stop and try a tech section a few times or at least wait for me to give it a couple goes if I can't ride it the first time. We stop to take pis and take in the views and enjoy what we get to see thanks to our MTBs. These rides can be as shirt as 8 miles and an hour or just over or as long as 20-25 and 4-5 hours, depending on who and the day.
    Sometimes I ride with much slower riders/beginners and just take a leisurely pace, encouraging them into the sport, stopping frequently to let them rest and take in the scenery and learn to enjoy matures beauty.
    I love super slow move tech, rocky and rooty, absolutely love it and if we had more of that around here all linked up, that's what I'd ride most often, then speed isn't the goal, clearing everything is, that extended stall to regain yourself and save not making a move to get ready to pedal kick with your all and get over that big rock in the middle of a hairpin corner, that big log across a steep, tech climb were you're so gassed, but won't give up.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I would say im a cross between XC and AM. I typically continuously ride with only a few seconds breaks occasionally to get breathing under control. That doesnt mean that I never stop to see the scenery, typically I slow down a lot and take it all in instead of stopping all together. I try and keep moving as much as possible.

I like riding stuff the goes up/down a lot. Long climbs can be fun but flat bores me unless the scenery is really good. I believe in earning your decents with an equal amount of climbing. If im going to do flat I will break out the road bike and go distance instead.

Im always working to improve my skills, I dont really ride sections over and over again. Instead I will do loops and pay close attention to the things I need to work on. I am still working on my fitness/endurance. Last year was pretty much just getting fit enough to consistently ride with people. This year is skills work and improved endurance. Im still pretty new to the sport but made great improvements last year

No racing or really anything competitive here, I dont use Strava but I do use Runtastic for recording my rides. I like the data behind it, seeing how I improve and keeping track of how much I ride. I compete with myself, trying to improve at least something with every ride.

I originally joined a group to show me the trails and have others show me the ropes. This was easily the best decision I made when learning to mountain bike. The group was all so helpful and encouraging. Now I have lots of friendships from this and its evolved to more social and encouragement rides. I am paying it forward and doing the teaching/encouraging now to the newer members of our group.

I dont just do group rides, I also do a lot of rides by myself. I would say its split 50/50 between group and solo. Solo typically have a purpose if its training, scenery or decompressing after a hard day at work.

mtbr member
    I ride more slowly and leisurely. I take a rest when I get tired. Then I continue on until I'm tired again.

Professional Crastinator
    All of the above.

I like to cover ground fast.
    I like to NOT put my foot down.
    I like to keep moving.

But it's worth it to stop and look/listen/smell around once in awhile. And if I hit something that makes me stop, I will probably try it over and over until I clean it (or convince myself that I can't do it).

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    A mix of group rides, especially after build days or on weekends, and solo rides mainly during the week. When I'm riding solo I push hard on miles and elevation and try to focus on how I'm riding (trying to stay loose and smooth seems to work best, also focusing on looking ahead). When I'm with a group it's more about just hanging out and having fun.

I don't race and don't use Strava or any other kind of online competition. I do track all my rides using an app on my phone. I don't session features or trail segments; when I'm at a ride center I prefer to do a full descent and then climb all the way back up to the top and repeat for a full lap.

Warrior's Society
    I would say that I am a Mileage and Elevation whore......er, junky.

I am not really fast, so for me it isn't about getting to the top first. However going for a 60-85 miler w/ minimum of 100' per mile is where my drive is.

I am no slouch on the DH's...so I am not afraid to drop the hammer either.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

since 4/10/2009
    Yes.

I'll do all of them except the racing one, though I usually lean towards less intense efforts. MTB for me is usually more of a relaxation thing, but I will go out and ride with a goal of working on a tech section, or keeping up with a faster group (for awhile), or pushing myself to get a PR on Strava.

I have a couple of improvement goals this year. There's one particular local steep climb that I want to clean by the end of the year without stopping along the way. One consistent effort. The first kicker is super steep and maxes me out right now. Another is a mileage goal. I'm well on my way right now, so that one looks to be in the bag. I also want to get a 50+miler for a single ride at some point this year. I should get that one, too, as long as I can keep riding through the summer (last year, work got so busy at work that my riding time really died in the summer, when I should have been getting more rides). I also have a tech obstacle that I am working on, and want to improve some more. Oh, and I want a couple of bikepacking rides this year.

I am a pretty middle-of-the-road rider in many respects. Mid-pack speed (at least, compared to those who log their rides on Strava locally). Probably somewhere in the middle for tech skills. Going fast down hills is lots of fun, and I've done lift-accessed downhills in the past. I'm not one for big air or high-consequence technical riding, though. I have a VERY intimate sense of my own mortality so my comfort zones are well-defined, and I'm okay with that.

I like to ride.

Front Range, Colorado
    Depends on my mood, but mostly a good pace followed by a long rest enjoying natures wonders and some R&R. Then followed up by some more fast paced riding and then another short break then some more riding at a fast pace. I try to get a good mix of riding in with some away time for relaxing.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I don't do strava. Sometimes group rides. Usually mid pack. On my 2 local trails areas, I bring a hand saw, usually stop to clean up branches and logs. During spring mud season ( now) when it is ok to walk but not ride, I'll walk the trails to do a full spring cleanup.

mtbr member
    These days, XC/Trail/AM. I stopped racing 10 years ago when I realized the new kids I had to compete against in my age group were 50 and I had no older group to move up to. After winning my last race in the old people category, I hung it up.

DH? Yeah, used to do that too on a long travel hard tail but figured it was time to stop when I was holding people up.

So, I'm still out there about 100 days a year mixing it up between road where I try to pound out a good pace, relaxed XC, rock gardens, up and downs and everything in between, sometimes in groups but solo a lot of the time because its not always easy to find someone to ride with - BUT NO STRAVA! I don't need to pay a few hundred dollars to confirm how slow I've become. A cheap Cateye is all I need, if that.

My rides usually last about two hours, maybe three. Road rides can go longer depending on where I'm headed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Yes.

I'll do all of them except the racing one, though I usually lean towards less intense efforts.

I like to ride.
    Pretty much the same here. I also like to spread the MTB bug and get as many of my friends riding as possible, so a lot of my rides involve showing people new (to them) trails and more recently taking photos/video.
    *Not a real mountain biker

mtbr member
    For me, it's about just being outdoors, enjoying nature, losing weight and getting in better shape. I push myself (which would be laughable to some of your standards", but I enjoy the lung burn, cramping legs from time to time. Every ride there is usually a "hump" section where I'm doing all I can to get through it as quick as possible. I find myself really enjoying climbs, technical sections and switchbacks now that I can climb decently and don't hit every tree I get within a foot of.
    The best journeys answer questions that in the beginning, you didn't even think to ask

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Just relaxing, sometimes fast , sometimes slow. Depends on how I feel. I'm not a highly skilled rider but I do try to go faster every time out.

Magically Delicious
    Just about everything except race (been there, done that). I do have a propensity to push myself hard and try and achieve a good cardio workout. I really enjoy coming across a good tech section and working it till I feel good about it, or can clean it. Longer rides greater than 25 miles tend to be more at an endurance level (slower pace) with intervals of power on the hills.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

So Stoked!
    I ride trails at a moderate pace. I like the challenge of technical sections whether I'm doing AM or DH. Stop and check out the scenery and take pics. I love being outdoors
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Robertson
    I coach a NICA team, so ~3 rides a week right now (mid season) are with them. We split them into groups by age, and I'll often take the older kids and work with them on more advanced bike handling, maybe go find a techy section and work with them on clearing it. I have a technical riding group I ride with ~2x per month, that's all about going to the most challenging, technical terrain our locale has to offer and clearing new sections/lines. Then I ride ~2x per month with some guys from my gym who are fairly new to riding (and they sometimes bring buddies), that's more low mileage and social with me occasionally offering them advice (but they don't listen/follow advice near as well as my high schoolers do!). Finally, when it's just me I will pin it on a few trails in a row, then go to lower speed for a bit to recover. I'm getting into racing enduro so I'm starting to train for that, similar to my normal riding, I just focus on high speed downhills, slower speed on the ups.

the half breed devil
    i ride at my pace in a cross country sort of way, since all the bikes i own have no rear suspension. some people might think i'm slow but i can ride all day long. almost all of my rides are twenty-five miles plus since i don't own a car. some are solo but most are with my neighbor and riding buddy, Joe The Crusher.

Reluctant Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by falconpunch79 View Post
    Pretty much the same here. I also like to spread the MTB bug and get as many of my friends riding as possible, so a lot of my rides involve showing people new (to them) trails and more recently taking photos/video.
    I tried that last week with a buddy of mine, letting him use my hardtail. The drive to the park lasted longer than he did on the trails, and he spent probably 30% of that time walking. He said he hit a tree at one point, which I never saw but don't imagine it being too bad since I never saw him get any real speed. That was unfortunate but can't expect everybody to like the sport.

I'll keep trying, but like with my vaping, I'm not gonna force it on my friends. This week I found some good trails along a sewer line that are flat with a few rocky sections, kinda boring by my standards, but good for introductory rides to noobs.

My ex likes to ride, but on greenways. I've been trying to get her into MTB. She says she just enjoys a leisurely pace to enjoy the scenery and nature. I try to convince her there's a hell of a lot more of that on a real MTB trail than a greenway and that her Mongoose will handle a gravel or sewer trail just fine at her riding level. That would be entertaining enough for me to enjoy riding with someone else and seeing how quickly I could cover the occasional mile and back to rejoin her.
    Live like there's no tomorrow. But pay your bills just in case there is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I think that I ride mostly for my own understanding of a ride's aesthetics.

I don't really care about time at all and only ever time myself so I'll know how long something generally takes me so as to budget time when my ride time is limited. Even then, my timing is +/- 5 minutes, not seconds. But I do sometimes try to ride something fast, but it's more for the fun of riding fast and I feel that if I'm carrying speed, clearing sections, etc., then I'm hitting my mental definition of a "good" ride.

As it's all about hitting this imaginary definition for me, I will sometimes do sections again trying to reach it. There is one section that I ride all the time but just can't clear that I'll often do repeatedly. It's only a few minutes from the trailhead, so if I finish my ride with time to spare I will just do it over a few times trying to hit the goals I set for myself.

I also have some days where I just like to explore. Then it's less about the bike and just seeing what I can see while enjoying riding at the same time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Mostly, as fast as can. I will retry a tech section a few times if it's one that repeatedly give me trouble. I like to go, go, go. I'll run a trail in one direction then reverse. I'm not a strava jerk, yet. I respect that there's all kinds on the trail but also realize that some people are training not just riding. I will occasionally stop and talk bike with someone.

On wuss patrol
    Yes.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    While on most of the
    group rides, they're pretty much all out races, more xc enduro type. When I'm out by myself, I'll pretty much go by feel, sometimes all out speed, other times practicing my technical skills and other times just cruising

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast