Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

New question here. how do you ride??? like you stole it, or...????

I hate this but I ride like I don't want to break anything... right or wrong I cant afford to destroy a frame and ride like I stole it... frustrates me sometimes as I would like to put my bike through its paces...but don't get me wrong, I don't ride so cautious it would lead to an accident... I seem to ride smarter, more stable...you know, the path that keeps me riding longer...

you?

mtbr member

how do you ride??? like you stole it, or...????

I ride a hard tail so I ride to my ability and just under the point I break my ass! Lol having said that I also ride to my bikes intended use. For instance I'm not going to DH like my hair was on fire and my ass was catching on a hard tail XC bike.
    Chances are .. You're full of !$@&?

mtbr member
    I ride to ride another day...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    As I get older and more brittle, I try to ride smoother, rather than bashing through a line making the bike fight for every scrap of traction, Finding the smoother line may make me slower in some places and faster in some other places but at the end of the day I don't feel beat down. The metal plates in screws in my arms thank me as well. Besides, what ever speed I lose I can often times make it up in a climb.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I ride as hard as I can, but I'm old and don't have
    a high skill level.

mtbr member

how do you ride??? like you stole it, or...????

I'd ride hard all day but I find that my fitness won't let me and after a couple of trials and lots of climbing I've pretty much had it. Saying that I'm a careful rider and I don't wanna break myself up as I can't afford to be out of work.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    When I'm with a certain friend we usually both ride hard. Most of my crashes are when he is around and vice versa. We both like pushing limits and enjoy the unspoken challenges.

When alone or in larger groups I slow it down a notch and try to work on any deficiencies, form, etc.

mtbr member
    Depends on my mood.
    The cake is a lie.

Certified Clyde
    Depends on how recently I've hurt myself. I notice I tend to get more fearless until I crash out hard, and then it's a confidence rebuilding period. I'm currently nursing a broken tailbone from riding an XC hartail on an All Mountain type trail (basically a technical one I wasn't qualified for). So I'm a bit slower at present.
    - Cody

This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

mtbr member
    I ride a hardtail with bags and a trailer, fairly weighted down and I come in at 270 at 6.7. That said I will push it through anything I can go through but I still break things.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Im still very much a beginner but the way I look at it, if I break something I will just upgrade it.

mtbr member
    I ride with very little consideration for my bike. I try to be a little more reserved about my body, but I never hold back because I don't want to harm the bike. So far, I haven't broken anything substantial, fortunately.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I am a slow rider - had to pull over and let the kids with push bikes pass kind of slow. Just can't get past 7mph average. We have a handful of guys in our local mtb club that fly through the woods like those speeders on Endor from Return of the Jedi - a few of them rode the entire KATY trail (240 miles) in like 15 hours last year - freaking machines they are.

I am just happy being on the saddle and enjoying life. No need to break any land speed records.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'm sort of the opposite. I think of how much I've paid for bike/components, and that makes me wanna get my money's worth out without crashing. It usually works : |

In my car is where I drive like a granny to avert replacing stuff.

Your frame may be under warranty, so you could be holding yourself back needlessly. And, frames are pretty much built for abuse. Red-line the fun meter and come what may!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Re: how do you ride??? like you stole it, or...????

I don't ride fast or slow I'm a med rider im afraid of falling and breaking something now. I'm to old to ride it like u stole it I'm 31 !

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    a high skill level.
    Ya, that's me. If you wanna ride harder on more difficult terrain save up for the proper bike, then you won't have to worry so much. "The proper tool for the job" is my motto, most likely why I have so many bikes for different riding. Regardless sometimes you're gonna break stuff and you will take a spill on occasion, it's just part of the sport, unless you're not interested in progressing as a rider.
    To appreciate the flowers you must also walk among s**t to know the difference

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    It depends on where I'm riding, who I'm riding with, and my mood that day. I tend to be a little more careful about my body when I'm riding alone though. I don't worry too much about breaking stuff on my bike though. I don't intentionally trash it but I figure every once in a while you are going to mess something up doing this.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I ride just to the point of throwing up...lol. It's such a thrill pushing yourself a little bit beyond what you thought you could do each time and see yourself improve. That said..I date a guy that can always repair my bike

mtbr member
    a high skill level.
    Same here. I seem to come away bloody from every other ride, still. I don't worry about equipment, only bones.

mtbr member
    I'm on a cross bike. I destroy uphill climbs and am dainty on the downhills.

I shouldn't ride my bike as hard as I do, as it's my only means of transportation (except for my Univega fixie which is kinda a P.O.S.) but I can't help it.

EMBA Member
    I'm out there for fun first, exercise second, and social aspects third. I generally ride pretty hard, but I don't want to lose a season on the bike recuperating from an injury, so I'm mindful of the risks at all times. Even so, I went over the bars a month ago and have a couple bruises on me right now I'm not sure where they came from. Seems like I'm riding as close to the edge as I want or need to. When I ride at night, which is almost always solo, I'm very cautious.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I like it hard and fast, I push as fast as my legs can push my whale body. Even when commuting, I can't go slow. Not that i am fast by any standard, just fast by my standard. That usually means slow up and a decent pace down. I have a few rigs, so if I have the privilege of chosing the right bike for the trail. I try to do all the small jumps/drops/technical sections a trail allows, nothing too big though as recovery from injuries takes so long now. I geuss I ride for a buzz, and that buzz comes from a little adrenalin.

I have broken the last 3 frames ive ridden. Last Jan i bought a trek specifically because of the lifetime frame warranty. I love my bike, but the lines and speed i ride are most definitely not chosen to spare it any wear and tear.
    "Bigring, that's deep. ...Well, I suspect it is. I didn't read it."

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    When I ride with a fellow biker stronger than me, I'm pretty tame. When my fellow rider is weaker than me, I ride it hard. When I ride alone, I ride it hard especially if I'm recording it on Strava.

mtbr member
    I ride like I am enjoying riding my bike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast