Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

how do you ride??? like you stole it, or...????

3K views 40 replies 39 participants last post by  wv_bob 
#1 ·
I hate this but I ride like I don't want to break anything... right or wrong I cant afford to destroy a frame and ride like I stole it... frustrates me sometimes as I would like to put my bike through its paces...but don't get me wrong, I don't ride so cautious it would lead to an accident... I seem to ride smarter, more stable...you know, the path that keeps me riding longer...

you?

#30 ·
On my first ride, a technical descent far beyond my ability, a young man with a beautiful accent said to me, "Walk today; ride tomorrow. Your feet are just one more way to play on the mountain." His words stuck.

To quote my husband explaining my presence to a friend, "she can ride everything you or I can, she just rides it a little slower."

In other words, you have to try new things from time to time to improve. You have to come up the edge of your comfort zone and skit across the line. But that doesn't mean that you disregard the line. I'm getting faster - but that's not the point. I develop the skills first and slowly increase speed as the skills become second nature. I don't ride like there is no tomorrow. I ride like I want to ride better tomorrow.

#31 ·
I ride like I stole it. It's mostly xc/light single track around here so crashes usually are not too hard on my body. As for bike, it's got a warranty. So I'm not worried about that either.

Now if I'm riding with my wife. I just stick with her and have fun, just a relaxing enjoyable ride! Plus the view from behind isn't all bad.

2012 Anthem X29 4.

#33 ·
I ride very cautiously. There is no way I could instantly make up enough money to buy another good bike, so if I break my Cobia, no more riding every weekend for at least a year.
Sure I have my F9, but my Cobia brings a whole new meaning to MTBing that I would miss.

#35 ·
love the red line

The cost of replacing a bike has been an influence for me too, but it doesn't keep me from wanting to dominate a new challenge.

But I think it is all good. I have found casual recovery rides to be helpful ( only if I have someone to chat with). But I love to dig deep and rock well past the point of feeling like vomit is coming. As crazy as it sounds, the more extreme you push, the more addicted you become.

With technical or dh, I go by mood. If I worked a lot of hours, or if I'm low on sleep I consider those things. I often ride alone...so I look out for myself.

#36 ·
I push the envelope at times on most every ride I do and I don't care as much anymore if something breaks. I'm no maniac though, XC to aggressive trail is my comfort zone. You might beat me to the top of the hill, and then again you might not. Same can be said about going back down.

#37 ·
I usually ride my rigid singlespeed so that I have the strength to keep the cranks turning until a 2, 3, or 4 hour ride is done.... That means a pretty low average speed.

Yesterday evening, I went racing the sundown for 45 minutes. With no need to go sparingly, I hit some of my regular trails faster than usual. Great fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.