Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    I hate sugar sand.
    Nov 2007

How do you find the time to ride 3,4,5 days a week?

Are you students? Work part time? Work night shift and ride your bike all day? Single? Live in an apartment?

My work day begins at 8am when I wake up and ends at 7pm when I get home from work, 5 days a week. The nearest trail is about 20-25 min away. During the longest days of the year, I might be able to get out there and do a good 20 min before it got too dark to see. Any biking during the week is not a possibility.

The weekends? I sleep til 11am, work on the car, mow the lawn, work on various projects around the house, see friends/family, drink beer, among all the other crap I don't have time for during the week.

And I'm married. I see my wife 3-4 hours a night before she goes to bed, so she wouldn't enjoy me disappearing every weekend to go ride a bike by myself. I tried to take her on a trail once, but she said "it's too bumpy" and that was it.

Where do you guys/girls find the time?

mtbr member
    maybe time to wake up earlier on the weekend. in the spring/summer/fall if the weather is good i go for rides early on the weekends and maybe during the week if i have a day off since the nearest trail is about 45 minutes away. can't wait till I move out of illinois.

i sometimes sneak away to the gym at 430am before work so i can have the quality time with my wife and son in the evenings. i've been thinking about doing some night rides- that may work for you at least one night a week.

i'm still trying to figure out how we can live off of my wife's salary
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Gotta make it a priority. If you're not willing to rearrange some things, it won't happen. I don't get 3-4 days a week in the dirt either, but taking off a couple hours early on a weekday afternoon or getting up early on the weekend to ride while the wife and kid are still asleep are my best bets. I ride to work 90% of the time when the weather's decent, and that saddle time does a couple things... I'm in better MTB shape for when I do get to ride, and regular contact with the bike makes me want it more.

S&G CREW
    Feb 2008
    Im married have two kids work 55,60 hrs a week and find time to get out to ride twice a week if i feel like it, yeah its time to wake up a little earlier on sat or buy a light so you can ride after work .Sounds like if you really wanted to ride you could find the time.

mtbr member
    I get up early on the weekends (4-5 am) to ride and ski then sleep in on the weekdays (7am) to go to work. This allows me to still get stuff done around the house on weekends. Plus I commute to work via bike, so I usually get plenty of time in on the bike midweek.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Johnny Dependable
    I learned less than a year into the corporate 8-6 lifestyle that it was not for me. I quit my job in a letter, dropped out of the main stream urban/suburban society and moved to the mountains.

Single, never married, no kids. I live a very simple nomadic lifestyle with no material possessions that I can't fit in my Forrester and a small trailer. I snowboard 100+ days every winter and fly fish/MTB all spring, summer and fall. I was broke for a while. Being financially poor taught me what was really important in life.

Then came proposition 215 followed by Amendment 20 (Google it, lol). Now all is balanced in my universe and I highly recommend this lifestyle.

mtbr member
    Man I can't tell you when the last time I slept till 8am let alone 11am....when do you go to bed? Sounds like to me you need to get to bed earlier and or sleep less

mtbr member
    Like the above post - I ride in the morning before work. I get up between 4:30 - 5:00 and out the door around 5:30 or 6:00. I can get 20 miles in come home shower and get to work by 8:00. If I don't ride in the morning it never seems to work in the evening.
    I'm married and work M-F 8-5ish.

Woody

PS if you need lights there is two great forums on this site with tons of info.

mtbr member
    I generally ride 3x a week. I live 2 blocks from some killer trails, so anytime I have as little as a 1/2 an hour of free time I go for a spin. I'm married with 2 kids so I have to take advantage of the time I have.

mtbr member
    Ditto, On Saturdays I leave the house at 5-6AM with a light on my helmet and ride 4 to 6 hours getting home while the wife is still reading the paper, ride a couple of hours on Sunday and around 2 hours T, W, TH and Friday after work but before dinner. I usually never drive anywhere to ride unless itís a race, that way if Iím gone to ride, Iím actually riding. I have trails nearby (3 miles, 8 miles, 9 miles and 15 miles away) that I ride to which makes it a little easier

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I go to work at 7am, I'm home by 3:30. The trailhead is only 7 miles from my house!

Natural Born Killer
    As others have said, it's about setting your priorities, and in my case a strict sleep schedule. I'm married with 4 kids but my kids are old enough to take care of themselves for the most part. I'm in bed, lights out at 10:00pm. Then up at 5:30am to run, workout, or ride my bike to work. Work is 8am to 4pm. Weekends I don't set the alarm so awake by 6am feels like sleeping in. I can run or bike until 10:00am on weekend mornings and get home before my wife is even out of bed . Something which has helped tremendously is eliminating caffeine and replacing that morning pot of coffee with a workout. I sleep much better and I feel I get a much higher quality of sleep, without the daily highs and lows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

Notso proud Schwinn Rider
    Jan 2011
    I have a trail 5 minutes from my office. I can go at lunch and get a good 35-45 minute ride in most days of the week.
    Other than that, I have the same kind of schedule as the OP. Weekends are spent with the family.
    Hey! Whatsa matta You? Gotta no respect! Whata think you do? Why you looka so sad? Itsa nicea place! Hey! Shaddap you face!

Des(s)ert Rat
    I've made it part of my job. I realize that not everyone can do it, but if I don't ride, I'm not a very good mom/friend/girlfriend.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I have the luxury of being a teacher so I'm done every day at 2 or 3 PM. I can go right from work to the trail, get in a solid ride and get home by dark. I do that almost every day (except winter time) I can as long as the weather is decent.

I also ride on the weekends and have the summers off. Teaching is a very mountain bike friendly job.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2005 Trek Bruiser SS

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Married but no kids. Renting, so I don't have to worry about repairs and not much in the way of yard work. I have a couple good lights so I can get off work at 5 and ride at 6. Trails start less than 1/4 mile from my front door, and the fun trails start 1 mile after that.

Also helps that riding IS quality time with the wife. She's not a fan of night riding but when it starts staying light till 8pm or so, she goes with me.

I try to ride anywhere from 1-3 times per week. Once the weather gets better it'll definitely be 3x a week. During the downtimes though I'm not any less busy, I'm just doing other things. As others have said it's about priorities. Some things you have to do, others can be safely ignored in favor of dirt

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by DoinkMobb
    How do you find the time to ride 3,4,5 days a week?
    I am unemployed. I have plenty of time to ride my bike, although I am married and have two young children. Sometimes my rides involve them too.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Wife, 2 kids, full time job and homeowner here. I live on the east face of the Allegheny Front and I can be on trails within 2 minutes by bike. All's I need is about 45 minutes after work for a quick ride. The wife understands and doesn't mind. If I get a couple hours free there are countless other places to ride within 30 or 40 miles. I get out there 4 or 5 times a week.

usually cranky
    college student, single, and jobless. i got time.

ronbo613
    1. Don't watch TV
    2. Get off the fking internet

Mar 2006
    I think your problem is waking up at 11 on the weekend and 8 for work on the weekdays.

One Gear
    I'm up at 5am, at work at 6 & home at 5pm during the week. I usually ride on Wed, and Friday's. I sleep late on Sat & Sun until 6am and rides are a lock if I'm out of the house at 7am.
    Yardwork, house, karate, baseball, soccer, swimming, gymnastics, and scouts in between.

I only watch the weather in the mornings before work and don't spend much time here anymore.

Sometimes when the kids want to go out and ride, I get 2 rides in on Saturdays.

Your missing rides are before work and before 11am on weekends.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Married, 2 kids, 8-5 job. I can ride 6 times a week if I wanted to. I wake up 10-11am on weekends. My rides are after work along the way home, that way I can get home by 7:30pm, just in time for dinner.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Same song and dance as everyone else, more than FT job, 2 kids, wife and house. Wife is a lawyer (lots of hours) and runs ultra trail marathons, lots o training.

I too am very lucky, live in the mountains (albeit shorter mtb season), 1600 foot climb across the street from my office and sweet trails right there. Some days I am able to break away from work to ride (good to be the boss, but also encourage the staff to do the same). I believe this actually makes people happier and more productive.

My wife and I trade off quite a bit with the kids, but make sure to have a date night every other week or so to keep things healthy. If need be, babysitters are great. I tend to ride/workout 6 days a week. I am also lucky that my wife loves the early morning run/workout to 'get it overwith.' But I am usually up before 6 most days of the week. I have also mowed my lawn in the summer with my bike helmet and lights. It would be nice to get one of those six pack helmets for these missions. I tend to believe there is more time available during a day than you think.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Priorities. I'm at work before 7am and getting out the door before 4 is almost impossible. Plus the joys of grading papers / planning in the evenings and weekends. Riding is a priority for me. Monday's is my off day so I can plan the week. Don't get to hit the dirt but once or twice a week. But I am on a bike 5-6 days per week. Quality rather than quantity.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast