Icebiker

How do I take apart '90's era composite ATAC pedals?

Didn't see a forum specifically for pedals, so hoping this forum can give me some guidance. I have 4 sets of late 90's ATAC pedals. They've been great, but one is now making some squeaking noises that I believe are related to the inner bearings.

However, for the life of me I cant figure out how to take them apart. I've found a bunch of threads on road bike forums and even a YouTube video, but they are for the XS and Alium models, which have an outboard end cap. The late 90's ones don't have that. THey look like this:

Time Atac Mountain Bike Pedals // Yellow MTB Bicycle Clipless Cycling Downhill | eBay

I can remove the ring around the inboard edge, but after that I'm not able to take it apart. Any help is appreciated!

Mountain Man Dan
    You should post that in the Drivetrain section!

http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-sh...lleurs-cranks/
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

Bandolero

Five Little Bears

Considering that he's still riding pedals that are almost 15 years old, I'd say putting this in the Passion forum is apt.

I ran across a web page/pdf file for this a while ago as I also have my first pair of Time pedals somewhere and was considering replacing the bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectDan35 View Post
    You should post that in the Drivetrain section!

http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-sh...lleurs-cranks/
    See the trails, be one with FOO-MTB.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

local trails rider
    There's a Time ATAC pedal rebuild video posted at
    Time ATAC pedal rebuild (ceramic Bearings)

edit:
    ooops: the ones in the video are more recent models.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Icebiker

i found something close

Not exactly like mine, but is closer to them than the modern TIMEs ...going to give this a shot

Overhaul a Time Pedal Video

Thanks for the responses! And thanks notaknob for the vote on Passion....i love these ATACs and wish they still made them like they used to (as I wish Shimano still made cassette bodies that didn't blow up on you every 6 months)

mtbr member
    This is probably for newer pedals too, and not quite complete, but it might help:
    Time ATAC dissassembly? (x-post)

Tim