Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014

How did you discover Mountain Biking?

how did you get into Mountain biking?

I was on YouTube (like any normal teenage girl), watching Gaming videos. Soo I stumbled upon this guy's channel, Syndicate, and I watched some of his old COD videos. So, in the recommended thingy, I saw a video titled downhill commentary by syndicate. The audio was awful, but I really was surprised by this new thing called Downhill. I looked in the corner again and saw a video by Redbull... And the rest is history.

i went through 2 bikes in a week, then finally got my dad to take me and my eighth grade graduation money to a bike shop. The guy tried to sell me a trek 3500 disc, but I just felt really awkward on it. Well, actually, the last time I rode before that week was when I was nine or ten, so I was not very comfortable on any bike. Anyway, I had about 550$ to spend, so I checked the rest of the bikes, not wanting to regret my purchase. I spotted a bike, the x cal 4, and asked to try it out. When I rode on it, I was an awkward, unsteady rider, and I crashed because I had no idea how to brake. I loved it, I had the dorkiest grin on my face after I stepped off the bike. I looked at my dad, and said that I wanted this one. I spent every last penny I had on my bike, but it was worth the feeling of giddiness and sadness I felt whenever I couldn't ride it.

two months and 240 miles later, I can't get enough. I am no longer so awkward on my bike, and I have never had this much passion for any other thing (except history and art). I am a girl in a sport dominated by men, and I want to work together with them to show other girls that they can do it. I am actually very scared of some things that no one even thinks about, but my bike has given me the confidence to realize that, yes, you crash, yes, you get hurt, but if you really love something, none of that matters.

i am currently working with my school to start a mountain biking club in hope to introduce people to this wonderful sport. I also hope to inspire other girls to give it a try, cause we can always use more people, especially women to help get the sport some more attention for funding of bike parks and single track. There is actually a great article on this stuff. I forgot where it was though..

So that is my story.... Yep.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Go young lady. Glad you love to ride. Me, I always rode bikes - even before they called it mountain biking. Have fun, enjoy your ride, enjoy our tribe.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

mtbr member
    Impressive story. Good luck getting your school to start a mountain bike club.

Me, I grew up in an area where most of the roads were not paved and we rode our bike on trails through the woods to get to other neighborhoods so, in reality, I've been mountain biking since I was about 8 years old.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Great read, thanks for sharing it. Good luck on getting the MTB club started at school.

I started riding for fitness, I was a runner until back surgery stopped that and I piled on some pounds. I'm old in years and young at heart. I rode a big ole honking 3 speed first. I pushed that thing through the streets of my home town and on the local canal path for a year. Up graded the next year and got off road more.
    The technical stuff is beyond my need so I rid what and where I can most days of the week.

Resident Gear Head
    Friends took me to a Yeti demo in Denver. Once the trail rash healed on my forearm and knee I bought my own bike
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

Professional Dirt Sampler
    Awesome story, good luck with your club! I wish they had had one at my school.

As for me, I grew up racing motocross with my dad. When I moved out and couldn't afford to ride dirt bikes I put on a bunch of weight. I asked my mom for a MTB for Christmas and she got it for me. I rode for a few months and then gave up because my fitness was terrible and winter had come to Colorado.

Then last year after losing over 50 pounds I noticed that a lot of my local hiking trails had tire tracks on them and looked like they would be a lot of fun to ride. So I put my Scott Speedster road bike up on Craigslist for trade. I only got one offer, a 2009 Motobecane Fantom DS Elite in my size and like new. I made the trade an hour later. After that first ride I have been absolutely hooked. I've lost another 20 pounds thanks to riding and I even started racing. Mountain biking changed my life.

mtbr member
    I grew up in the suburbs in Southern California. Bikes were the best way to get around as a kid so all the neighborhood kids would cruise around together, to the comic shop, McD's, whatever... Back then the 'burbs were surrounded by undeveloped land (it's all cookie-cutter houses now ) and of course curious kids would venture out there. It all progressed naturally from there. I've always loved bikes. Although I would take a break here and there, and at some point I lived in the most topographically challenged city in the country, there was always a place in my heart for riding around in the hills. I miss packing a lunch and bringing a mini boombox along with a few friends for a day in the chaparral. Though yesterday I got my wife and a few friends to go out and ride with me for some thai food and ice cream. Riding around town made me feel like a kid again

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    An exboyfriend of mine was a wannabe roadie and wanted me to start riding so we'd have something to do together and something for me to do to build fitness and lose weight. I wasn't into the road thing so I suggested mountain bikes. I hadn't touched a bicycle in half my life, let alone ridden one... bought a 29er hard tail... started racing a month later on my own accord... two years later and luckily he's out of my life (and doesn't ride anymore, LOL!), and I'm racing XC at the cat 1/expert level, definitely road ride/race now, and love everything involving bikes! Just something I started with and ran with it... definitely not the typical "girl gets a bike because the boy said to" story

Original poster: good luck with your HS team! My hometown's HS MTB team is majority female with a female coach, so you may be surprised with how many girls would be interested!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I had some friends that rode their bikes with some other friends out on the local paved trails. I said I wanted to come along, and so I did. When I was following them I realized that the trails they went to was a 2 minute ride to my house! I started going on my own cuz I had gained a little weight cuz I was a videogame nerd. Soon enough, I started riding some actual trails and fell in love with the sport. My first bike was a 1995 Rockhopper and it was a terrible bike lol. I crashed so many times and got so many cuts but I pressed on until I got the 2013 Cannondale Trail 5 which was a lovely bike to ride.
    I started to ride everyday and explore some of the trails and I've found so many trails so close to my house. I've never had to drive to trails so that probably fueled my love of riding.
    The friends that I first started riding with don't even ride anymore lol.

mtbr member
    Started using it as cross training & excersice for the moto & soon became addicted but still great cross training.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I always thought that mountain biking was cool and eventually I started watching some videos on youtube and hit up my local hiking trails (no biking) and I really started enjoying it. A little less than a year ago my friend got pretty involved and picked up a Santa Cruz Tallboy. We hit a couple of pretty tough trails and I loved it.

My bike was a broken Genesis V2100 so I used his 1990's Mongoose Hilltopper for a couple of races last season. It was only Cat 3 and I was mid pack but I loved it and bought an Airborne Guardian 2.0. Now I'm starting to upgrade and will definitely be doing more races and maybe hit Whistler before I graduate. Keep an eye open for the Goon Squad.

Last season's bike

Next season's bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I like your story a lot. You keep on riding, I know I will.

Yeah, I hope a lot of girls join.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Nice bike! I am currently broke, but I am hoping to upgrade to a Santa Cruz Bronson next season.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Love the story )) The best to you young lady ! About 2 n a half yrs. ago I got news that I had heart issues ! I have Losed 200 pounds since then ! )) So I started to ride a road bike 29 for about 3 months . Then I traded that for a Mongoose . So I was hooked ever since then I been on The Search for a rugged / not expensive / light M. Bike ! I love the sport )) I do 70 percent on road 30 present trails . I will get my first Kona In less than 2 weeks ! So happy / excited ! ! !

mtbr member
    I got into Mountain Biking back in 2000 when I was stationed in Bogota, Colombia. Another Marine transfered from Cuba to my Detachment and he brought along his GT Avalanche 1.0. I ended up buying a Giant ATX. Had it for about a year before I upgraded to a Giant NRS Air. Loved that bike but had to sell it when I came back to the states (2003). Here we are now in 2014 and I'm back into the sport with my Jamis Dakar. Can't spend the money like I did before but I'm pretty much happy with what I have.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I found this forum because everytime I did a 'seach' about components I would end up here. I tried riding my 3 speed Columbia in the woods when I was a kid and it wasn't really possible, so I never tried it again. The part of the paved bikepath that I like the best goes through Stratton Brook State Park on a stone dust trail with a large brook following on the side. You guys have definitly tweeked my interest. Maybe next time someone starts a topic like this I will have a different answer! (I read about mountain biking on this web site so I bought a .....)

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Very sweet ride ))

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I rode dept store mountain bikes on the street for years as it was my only transportation....around 1993 I picked up a bright yellow diamondback outlook from my LBS.... 6 months later I traded it back in and picked up a cannondale M400 that had been stolen from the shop and recovered, was sold at a reduced price because it had a 6 inch long scratch on the down tube.....brought it home and picked up some automotive touch up paint to use on the scratch......fast forward to 1996, I had bought a raleigh M-80 and put a rock shox Q21R fork on it....met a co-worker that rode too...... we did lots of riding on rails to trails paths and also rode all over powell butte.... from then I was hooked.......I got back into it a few years ago after a 10 year break due to lack of time to ride....working on losing some weight......first I got a genesis v2100... was too heavy and didnt like the bob of the suspension.... I was down for 1 1/2 years because I almost died from a seizure( I have epilepsy) a few months ago I picked up a 1997 specialized rockhopper at a garage sale for $5 in bad shape... stripped it down to the frame, fork,bottom bracket and cranks, stem and handlebars....used the V2100 to get the bike together and sold the V2100 frame.....gonna upgrade slowly once I get money coming in again....I also pick up cheap bikes at garage sales and fix them up for a little money in my pocket..... today I cleaned out my boneyard and dropped it off at a guy that scraps cars..... nice to see someone your age out riding a bike instead of gaming.....good luck in getting the club started.... wish they had something like that when I was in school
    97 specialized rockhopper....$5 garage sale find, rebuild project

mtbr member
    After graduating University // breaking up w/ a long-term BF (it was an eventful spring), I moved in w/ my best friend...

For the next month, I sat at home bored out of my mind, staring at this sexy beast of his:
    How did you discover Mountain Biking?-image2.jpg

I now have a little 4500 and my local MTB club is never going to get rid of me. ;]

Note: I will forever be obsessed w/ that paint job.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Rider Specs: new grand master of the "tactical dismount and barrel roll" combo

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    1979, 6th grade. I was a paperboy with a Mongoose and Motomags. My buddy's mom was dating a guy named John that had stingray style beach cruisers with motorcycle brake levers and drum brakes. He took me up China camp from 7-11 hiking trail out in Skabow (that's what we called Santa Venetia). We rode and pushed bikes past those little caves, up to little log cabin thingy that had walls 3 feet tall and no roof. He smoked a joint, I ate a Chunky, the one with raisins. Pushed up to fire road, started to bomb it and he was laughing his ass off as I kind of crushed him on an adult sized bike. I'm lucky to be alive. No gloves, no helmet, not really accustomed to fire road speeds as we were BMX kids. I think about that guy almost every week for 37 years. Never saw him after 7th grade in 1980. I hope he sees this, he's probably in his 70's.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    OP make sure you check out the NICA/High School form along with the woman's forum here.

pin it
    Awesome testamonial Bluelightning! Your passion for mtb shines through and I hope you continue to grow and discover aspects of the sport.

I discovered mtb in my late 40's. I met a guy who took me mtb on our first date. I was an avid road cyclist and I had no clue what to expect. Initially it was fun rolling dirt trails. Then on my first descent, I went over the handlebars, crashed hard. I dusted myself off and kept riding (masking my pain "with a goofy grin"). I remember how much I loved being in the forest. I loved the landscape (river, rocks) and seeing the plants and spotting animals. The air was definitly fresher in the forest than on pavement or in the city traffic. Oh and I really enjoyed my date's company. The next day I discovered a bruise the size of my hand on my hip and I was determined to learn to ride and keep up with my new boyfriend. It was a steep learning curve

Many trails and bikes later including bruises and broken bones , its been 6 years for me since that first day. Today I am riding DH at an advanced level, I ride trails year round (including snow and ice) and I am building up a hardtail bike to practice freeriding and dirt jumping.

Oh and I married the man who led me to discover mountain biking (singlesprocket on this forum). Together we ride, build trails and advocate to build more trails in the community

OP I hope your passion leads you to discover many new paths and to meet new people along the way.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    I got started at age 45. That was in March of 2000. I needed to do some exercise and mountain biking seemed like a good way to do it. Plus I hate gyms. I had an old road bike but it just seemed like riding in the streets to be too dangerous. Too many cars. I really hadn't know much about mountain bikes and started shopping at the department stores. After a few of them I realized I should go to a proper bike shop. I found bike shopping to be a lot like car shopping. The bikes at the bike shops way exceeded the department store bikes. Plus I must have found mtbr.com as I was doing research too. Plus I also have this article in a trade magazine I got at work. It was this issue of Machine Design that had a Cannondale Raven with a Lefty on the front cover. At the time I got the magazine I hadn't even been considering cycling of any kind but I hung on to the issue because I thought it was a pretty cool article about bike tech. (I still have the issue). So when I was doing my bike shopping I got to see them in the shop. But I didn't want to spend that much money so I settled on an alum. framed bike. The SuperV700SX which I still ride. (It's a low mileage bike, that's another story). But I have been riding it more than I ever rode it before since this last spring. Here's a picture of it:

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I was into bikes off and on in my life. to me they were just a mode of transportation, we never did anything crazy on them. In HS I was heavy into skateboarding and I had some BMX friends but that wasn't my thing. Then in college I started riding this crappy Schwinn department store mountain bike that didn't fit me around town. Around this time my moms boyfriend at the time was introducing her to mountain biking. Then when I moved out on my own and lost a car for a bit I bought a vintage 1980 something Schwinn Le Tour off of my tweaker neighbor who used to pick up old bikes and scrap them. I started working on this bike, got curious in bike co-ops (only went to one once but liked the concept) and got into bike commuting and road riding. During this time my mom noticed I was getting into bikes and offered to take me mountain biking. I went on the aforementioned department store Schwinn and had a pretty terrible unmemorable time. For me, at the time, mountain biking did not stick. I continued on being into bikes for road riding purposes mostly and even got my mom in to road biking. About a year and half ago I was getting into trail running and decided I would try mountain biking again. Just one little though of "I'll try it" was all it took to accumulate into the obsession that it is now. In a year and a half that schwinn le tour lays untouched in the garage and I've since gone through 2 mountain bikes, built my own 29er single speed and am currently building a 1x10 hardtail. I even got my wife obsessed too and she totally smokes me on her Airborne Guardian. She's getting ready to attempt her first race in October as a Cat 3. It's been fun and I plan to never stop EVER. Can't wait to get my daughter out there to start riding with me. After I finish my bachelors I was thinking of becoming a teacher and if I do I thought it would be really neat to start some kind of mtb/bike club. Teaching maintenance, before or after rides, weekend trips, maybe get parents involved. That would be so awesome.

Professional Crastinator
    The passionate people on here will never get tired of telling their stories. The OP's was a good one!

Riding in the dirt seemed automatic since I was 4 y.o. If I fell down, it didn't hurt. Our neighborhood was a brand new development so there were a lot of empty lots and dirt piles. A lot of times it was the shorter way to go from one place to another. Then the guy down the street bought a dirt bike. He would sorta shepherd all the neighborhood kids and we would all go on these trails and ride for hours and hours on our "BMX" bikes. That was 1979-1980. Then my older bro. bought a dual sport motorcycle and did the same thing. We had days and days of fun doing that. Now it has been years and years!
    I didn't actually get a MTB 'til college (1990) because I was still riding my old BMX bike with high bars and a layback seat post. It was a logical progression.
    ...and I had to borrow money from 3 people to get that first RockHopper Sport.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast