Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueLgihtening View Post
    Nice bike! I am currently broke, but I am hoping to upgrade to a Santa Cruz Bronson next season.
    I wish I could get a $3000 bike next year too.

Anyway, my story is that two years ago I took my 2010 Cannondale F9 out on some trails and I loved it. I got that bike as a gift the year before, but I never rode it anywhere offroad. The next season (2013) I bought myself a Trek Cobia, and after that I really got into the sport. After upgrading almost everything on the bike, I now have a really good bike that I love to ride.
    I, too, am trying to start a bike club in my school. But there are so many things to do for the possibility of not having anyone join, so I'll just wait until a teacher does it first.

As for your next bike, make sure it suits your riding style. Just because it is big bucks and looks awesome doesn't mean you'll like it or it suits your trails.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I always wanted to surf as a kid, never had the chance. Now I surf dirt.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I've done some research on the bike, it seems to fit my style. But we'll see next Summer .

29ers Forever
    I've done some research on the bike, it seems to fit my style. But we'll see next Summer .
    Well, what kind of trails do you ride on?

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I signed up for an Xterra Triathlon and had to learn in a hurry. I love it now.
    Last edited by Khiori; 08-26-2014 at 06:50 AM.

mtbr member
    When I was in high school, I was an BMXer who was more into freestyle and dirt jumping than racing. When I wasn't on my Haro Freestyle bike or SE PK Ripper, I was on my Raleigh road bike cruising around the city. In the early 90s, a few of my friends started mountain biking so it just felt like a normal progression for me. I sold my Raleigh that I Super Campy-ed out and that was enough to get me into an entry level Marin Bobcat Trail from an LBS. Started off on easy rides through the parks and somehow, I ended up on Repack in Marin. I sold the Bobcat Trail and upgraded to a Marin Nail Trail and eventually to a GT Zaskar. The Zaskar was the first bike I bought with just the frame and pieced it together myself and I loved that bike. More than 20 years later and I'm still doing it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Technical uphill and downhill & Single track.

29ers Forever
    Technical uphill and downhill & Single track.
    So why not a Santa Cruz 5010? You still will have the same basic platform, but the 5010 will be a better climber, while still keeping most of the suspension travel.
    Santa Cruz 5010
    It's more of a "tech trail" bike than a full blown Enduro racer.

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thank you! It looks like a great bike. I am also now looking at the Bantam as well, as a more budget friendly bike. Although I might go with either the Chameleon (Santa Cruz), or Stache 7 (Trek).

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks to various adds on Skateboard magazines in the early 70's, but it took my until 83 to get my first bike (Living in Colombia at the time)

mtbr member
    Longish story...

I was an Army officer living in Colorado Springs in 1988. I was a hard core mogul skier and my wife (fiance at the time) was a marathon runner. Obviously, as an Army officer, I did a lot of running when I had to but I didn't run for "fun" like my wife. I also didn't run marathons like she did. However, she somehow convinced me that trail running in the mountains was good dryland training for bump skiing.

So one early fall afternoon, we were slogging up a trail above Manitou Springs, right around tree line. Ahead of us, hidden by one of the many bends in the trail, I heard a noise. It wasn't an animal or a runner but whatever it was it was coming towards us...fast. We stopped and stepped off the trail, wondering what the hell is going on above us. A few seconds later, two guys on bike came ripping past us. They were hooting and hollering and having a GREAT time.

My wife looked at me and asked "what was that??" I nodded..."those are mountain bikes. I read about them in Outside. Too cool!"

A week later, we rented a pair of Specialized Rock Hoppers and rode some fire roads around the Broadmore hotel. A few weeks later, I bought a Rockhopper for me and a Hard Rock for her.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

29ers Forever
    Thank you! It looks like a great bike. I am also now looking at the Bantam as well, as a more budget friendly bike. Although I might go with either the Chameleon (Santa Cruz), or Stache 7 (Trek).
    Send me a Private Message and I can help find the right bike for you and your needs.

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member

Friend of mine wanted to check out some dirt roads around Tucson with a bike... We both bought mountain bikes and headed out to Chiva Falls near Tucson Arizona... that was it... At that time there were no trails built for bikes.. only hiking trails (which were mostly impassable) and jeep roads...

my bike -- full rigid 1993 Trek 930.
    How did you discover Mountain Biking?-23lbcd0.jpg
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

mtbr member
    sometime in the late 80s. after years of riding/racing bmx, i bought a diamondback apex. all the skills transferred so easily that it was fun instantly. Having the bmx mentality of "let's go dig" coupled with the all day capability of it was all it took. i played around with moto as well but it was always on friends' bikes as i could not afford to do so. mtb was perfect. go ride deep into the woods (where i couldn't get my 20 or a loud heavy moto to go) with shovels and tools and make fun shite happen(obviously well before the days of land access issues). i definitely enjoy the gravity side of mtb most as i've gotten older. hard to get rid of the bmxican in me, i guess.

... to my first trail dog Jo and my first "serious" bike a '90 Yeti FRO! may you both lay forever peaceful in the loam!
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Had some hiking trails near my house when I was in middle school we use to ride our BMX bikes on to get to some rope swings, eventually my buddy and i upgraded from BMX to mountain bikes and started riding farther and farther. Then we started doing more riding on different trails. 15 years later i just bought my first "nice" mountain bike (over $1000). Got a 2015 Santa Cruz Bantam and I love it, riding just got that much more enjoyable.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I hate flying so I used biking as an excuse to drive to my TDY location versus flying. Got down there and actually rode some of the trails (had a walmart bike at the time because didn't know of any other kind of bike) and actually enjoyed the experience.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    This was what got me into it 1998 Mt. Dew Commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqsAR83g584

Retro on Steroids
    I had a roommate named Gary Fisher, and we had old cruiser "town bikes." We took them out on trails, and it was a lot of fun. We started thinking about what kind of a bike would work better for doing that stuff, and before we knew it, bikes took over our lives. We rented a garage and started making custom off-road bikes for our friends. Then we started making bikes for anyone with money.

Then everybody started making bikes like the ones we had been selling, and calling them "mountain bikes."
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

Retro on Steroids
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    My wife looked at me and asked "what was that??" I nodded..."those are mountain bikes. I read about them in Outside. Too cool!"
    Hah! I wrote that article.

Here it is.
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

mtbr member
    I was in high school and for my Design and Technology major project I decided to make a road bike frame. One of the teachers there was into mtbing and convinced me I should make a mtb frame instead. So I fillet brazed a Columbus Thron tubeset together and have at it ever since, 1996.

V-Shaped Rut
    I moved to Tahoe in the mid 90's to be a snowboard bum. I needed something to do in the summer and I rode BMX bikes as a kid so it was a natural fit. My first bike was a specialized rockhopper hardtail and I was on it more days than I was off it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I rode a LOT or BMX when I was a kid and well into my teens. Fast forward 20 years. I had a soccer career ending ankle injury. I used soccer as a cross trainer for my true passion, hydrofoiling. I picked up a 2004 Stumpy for a couple hundred bucks. It felt awkward, heavy and slow compared to my old 20" bike. I rode it, it broke, I fixed it. It broke and on went the cycle. I was huffing and puffing up the most minor hills. But after a few months I started climbing to top of various hills without stopping. That was my goal back then. Can I climb this section without stopping? I picked up a cheap RigSS 29er. It was light and fast. Made me a stronger rider and brought back memories of the BMX days. Sold the stumpy and bought a beat down Rip9. Been rocking that bike ever since. It's not light but it's comfy and it keeps me spinning.

Congrats on the passion. Passionate people are a special breed. Set some goals and keep the cranks turning!

mtbr member
    Me and my cousins all picked it up at the same time when I was in high school. Age 16. Back then it was no suspension front or rear, hardtail, rigid fork, rim brakes, and top shifters. Technical trails were bone jarring but still tried to go as fast as we could.

mtbr member
    I went to my lbs to buy a "good" bike to ride with my kids around town and paved trails. Decided to go off of one of those trails on an mtb trail and was hooked before I finished the loop. Started the upgrading within the first week and haven't looked back.
    Now I'm in the best shape I've been in since h.s. and lost 35#.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I started out riding trails and jumping on a Schwinn Stingray sporting a banana seat and rear slick. Caught the attention of one of the big kids who gave me my first BMX frame. Rode that DG until it cracked. I rode every chance I could. Started freestyling throughout junior and senior high. Would even practice tricks in the living room when it snowed. Roll the carpet back before doing bar endos.

Moving on to MTB just seemed natural. Bought a Giant Sedona in the early 90's. A month later sold that and bought a used Cannondale m1000 with Manitou 1 from the bike shop owner. That bike has been through so much.

Just bought a fatbike. I'm having as much fun as I ever did on any bike.

Make sure you get up and out of the saddle often. Use your entire body. Ride challenging sections repeatedly until you learn to clean them with efficiency while maintaining momentum. Have fun!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast