Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012

How did you buy your bike ???

For the most this is not a cheap hobby. A typical bike is about $400-$500 which can be just about a typical American's weekly salary for an entry bike, If you upgrade to 29er's, carbon or FS bikes they can be as expensive as 4-5k for a bike. People don't make that in a month. So with the cost of living going through the roof and our bills getting higher and higher. What type of funds did you use to buy your bike.

I charged mine to the "game" ... Visa game that is for my Giant 29er.

Quiet Professional
    Saved and purchased a new old stock in box 2011 giant reign for 1500. Now if I can just find a bike for my wife like a 2011 cypher 2.

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    That was a great deal. Currently looking for a Anthem 29 or a Trance 29er.

mtbr member
    I bought the ancestor of mine on a 'pro deal' through the shop I worked at about 14 years ago. It was about half a month's salary at the time. I had taken a line of credit to buy a computer and spent half on the computer, half on the bike. I paid off the line of credit with student loans when I started college. I still pay on my student loans. I've since swapped out items piece by piece using my monthly income, including the frame and all that remains of the original bike is the right shifter and the rear derailler.

mtbr member
    Bought my Stumpy by charging it (as I do for most big purchases) and then subsequently paying it off the next month. You are assuming a lot of people don't make $4-5K/month, but plenty of folks do...or more! The weekly salary you figure is ~$26K a year...that is fairly low for a "typical" salary. Average annual income in the U.S. is somewhere around $45K last I saw. I should also that I have always helped my gear addiction by selling my old stuff to help buy new stuff. I have also bought used to save money and bought a lot of things when I worked at a shop in college and got a discount; I still have quite a bit of it!
    Last edited by TiGeo; 01-21-2013 at 03:28 PM.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    When I left my previous job, They'd gave me 1500,- extra money on reservations. I've sold my Haibike Edition RX hardtail for like 500,-, then I'd had enough cash to buy my dreambike, a Cube Stereo. But now, after 3 months, I discovered the big world of upgrading. Beautiful parts, but small wallet.

mtbr member
    I saved my extra cash while waiting for the frame to arrive and bought it when I had the dough. Then repeated 4 times for my other bikes...

Andrew
    Sold off my previous bike which covered ~35% of the new bike, then used my company end of year bonus to pay for the rest.
    2012 Trek Superfly 100

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    cash

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'd been paying-off a 2010 Anthem X3 on a lay-by plan at a LBS. The agreement was to pay for the bike within 12 weeks. I had a lot still to pay and I had a good win on the pockies and put the entire winnings on the bike.

Warren.

3/4ton Hotrod
    Got paid, went to bank, got cash, purchased bike lol

nOOb
    May 2008
    Credit card for my most expensive bike, probably paid about $100 in interest on the $3,500 it cost as it took a few months. I didn't have the money at that moment, but I couldn't pass up the deal and I needed the bike.
    All my other bikes ($3,300, $550, $750, $1,650) I paid with credit card for the protection and paid them off immediately after.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Uncle Sam's tax giveback.

mtbr member
    did months of research, then got a timely bonus... it was either a bike or a trip to cuba with the better half... but to make it up to her i bought her a santa cruz juliana from a friend....
    Team Van Go
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    Rocky Mountain Element 70
    Salsa Mukluk - Fat Bike!
    http://www.teamvango.ca

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Saved and bought it. We ONLY buy things we have the money to buy. Cash only household. If we put it on a card it gets paid off at the end of the month. Debt free is the only way to live... well, minus a mortgage.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Traded an old high-end road bike for it ... Straight up !!

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Bought my Stumpy by charging it (as I do for most big purchases) and then subsequently paying it off the next month. You are assuming a lot of people don't make $4-5K/month, but plenty of folks do...or more! The weekly salary you figure is ~$26K a year...that is fairly low for a "typical" salary. Average annual income in the U.S. is somewhere around $45K last I saw. I should also that I have always helped my gear addiction by selling my old stuff to help buy new stuff. I have also bought used to save money and bought a lot of things when I worked at a shop in college and got a discount; I still have quite a bit of it!
    Well I figure there are several people with low income jobs compared to more fortunate people with middle america income. Either way a Bike is still a big investment. Several people can make that before taxes but once uncle sam takes his cut your left with more pennies than nickels. Either way I am looking into getting a Trance X and the chunk its worth is a prettyyyy penny.

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr View Post
    cash
    Classic !

EMBA Member
    There aren't many things better when you are my age than they were 30 years ago, but one of them that is, for me at least, is when I decided I needed a new bike during 2012, money was not part of the decision criteria. I could get whatever I wanted for cash and not think twice about it. And that's what I did.

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by freakybro View Post
    Money was not part of the decision criteria.
    Must be nice...
    Giant Talon ... with a few upgrades

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Figure out what I wanted, save up the cash, then comb Craigslist and other sources for the right one. Bought my family's last 4 bikes this way and saved a ton compared to buying new. Now, does anybody want to buy a sweet classic Merlin?

mtbr member
    During the fall and winter months to spring I pay for the bike and it takes about six month to pay for it (layaway) , but I wont be doing that much longer, for the past three years I bought a new bike every season going to ride my new bike for at least two years. Its taken me three years to figure out what I value most in a bike. Also some winters out here last 5 months so lots of time to save. Newest Bike I,m saving for is the Norco Sight 650b 2.

Rogue Exterminator
    For years I have followed a couple rules to buying.

1) If it is a toy, you pay cash.
    I have paid cash for every motor bike and bicycle I have ever owned.
    Sure, the bike is an investment in your health, but a high dollar one is not a necessity.
    So, if you can't afford a $3k bike with cash, then get a cheaper bike.
    Plenty of good choices for $500 or less and if you can't save $500 then you shouldn't have a credit card.

2) Try and pay cash for anything that depreciates in value.
    i.e. I pay cash for cars. I have done so for about 6 years.
    I used to finance and just got to the point where I realized that is stupid.
    Of course, I settle for what I need and not what I want when it comes to a car but I certainly like not having a car payment over my head and the freedom not owing on a car provides me.
    However, if your wants take over, at minimum you never finance the taxes and dealer fees, and you should even pay down the depreciated value of the vehicle before signing on the loan.

Financing a bicycle is just foolish IMO.

BTW, I do not make a lot of money, I just budget myself.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Cash

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Cash, the same way I buy everything except my house.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast