Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How did you buy your bike ???

19K views 244 replies 191 participants last post by  Mazukea 
#1 ·
For the most this is not a cheap hobby. A typical bike is about $400-$500 which can be just about a typical American's weekly salary for an entry bike, If you upgrade to 29er's, carbon or FS bikes they can be as expensive as 4-5k for a bike. People don't make that in a month. So with the cost of living going through the roof and our bills getting higher and higher. What type of funds did you use to buy your bike.

I charged mine to the "game" ... Visa game that is for my Giant 29er.

#99 ·
Paid cash for all of my bikes except for my very first bike, 1989 (or 1990) Specialized Hardrock. I financed the $300 or $400 bike when I was a starving college student.

I plan on paying cash for a new (or new-to-me) bike, but I'm going to sell a bunch of things that I'm not using such as two sets of track wheels, rain tires, dry tires, race wheel uprights/hubs, car body parts, a pro photo strobe system and a few other things. I should have enough for an even better bike than what I have now.

#100 ·
I Ebayed the majority of my bike in pieces. Ended up spending well over $1000.00 which is probably what I would of spent if I bought the bike as a whole, but this way, I get to put the parts I want on them as well as putting the bike together myself which the best part for me. Plus, I love bidding on stuff. I picked up a great 2010 Giant XTC1, brand new, for $200.00.

#103 ·
I have a savings account, specifically for bike-related purchases. X amount of money gets diverted there the 1st of every month from my checking account (plus random deposits, such as tax refund or cash deposits). I don't allow myself to exceed whatever is in savings. Every month, when it comes time to pay the credit card bill (100% paid off, every month), I'll move however much I spent that month into the bill-pay account.

So, in a round about way, I pay cash.

It helps that I have pretty pedestrian tastes. Road bike is a Surly Pacer. Mountain bike is a NOS Fuji 29er that I got for cheap.

#107 ·
Bought a frame on CL. Got the components from price point and jenson usa. Then built it myself. Saved a lot doing it that way. Most of the parts were from the previous year,so they were a bit cheaper.

#109 ·
I thought this thread was about bikes as opposed to bike parts.:confused:

How can you be so sure that "no one has exaggerated their financial position"? You're implying that everyone in this thread has lied about their ability to buy. Bizarre. Did the cash buyers buy with...less cash? :skep:

#111 ·
I wouldn't say that "i paid in cash" and "noone is being irresponsible with overly expensive parts" are mutually exclusive statements.

As for me? I sold my soul to the devil for rock and roll.
Unfortunatey this was when new wave was coming in so I hawked the rock and now I've got a bike!!

Nah, actually I got a job at a LBS at the same time as my mainstream job, agreed to work for bikes or parts instead of cash. Accumulated much working 13-days in a row.
Funny thing that.. working a job just to support your hobby.

#113 ·
My LBS does financing through a local financial company that has a 90 days same as cash no interest policy. I used that and had it paid off before the interest would have kicked in.

If that wasn't an option, I would have saved for a couple more months and paid cash (well, credit card that gets paid off every month).

#115 ·
I have a great house and a wife and kids, work an average job and to be honest there just isnt room for a 3K bike..would I love one hell yeah. I ride an older bike that I do enjoy and
worked a PT job last year to put a new build together piece by piece..it was a bit more $$ than i anticipated with shipping cost, but I got some great parts and a new bike:D

#117 ·
Bug your lbs a lot...make friends...ask the right questions...buy demos...pay cash. My motto is to usually buy used. First new bike I bought was after 20 years of riding, this year. Save it up, sleep on it, offer discount price for paying cash.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

#122 ·
I had the same bike(s) for many years, then dropped 400 pounds in the UK on a new Trek for cash in 2004. This kept me going a while, then had a bit of a hiatus when I moved to AZ. Next thing I did was have an epiphany in a bike shop when I saw what was now on offer, but managed to turn down the expensive FS options they were trying to sell me. I could not believe the prices and wasn't sure what was best for me, so came out with a new Rockhopper I bought for cash. Then I quickly realised I wanted a full sus bike after all, so I did a lot of research, and decided I wanted a 5" travel bike that weighed 25 lbs, and would cost $2500. After a few months of ferreting out deals online, I wound up with a Salsa El Kaboing frame, Fox fork, and a bunch of top notch stuff on it that cost me $2600 and weighed in at just over 26 lbs. I almost managed it! It took a couple of months, but saved me a bunch of money. I love the bike and have ridden the crap out of it for over 2 years now, and see no great reason to upgrade. It does most of what I need, and when stuff breaks or wears out I go online and search for replacements... If I see bargains for parts I know I will eventually need, I will sometimes buy them if the price is unavoidable.
I did buy a demo C'dale Rize 2 18 months ago when I was away on tour, got a great price and needed a second bike for those times when I was traveling, or needed a ride when one bike was down. Cash always.

#124 ·
My bikes were each less than $500.00 each and the first bike was a birthday present. My mountain bike was a previous year's model that was on sale (I think I saved about $250) and I saved for it by dropping all of my pocket change in a jar at the end of each day. I'm in Canada so pocket change can include $1 and $2 coins and over time it does build up. Last February I declared the jar "Mtn bike fund" and in late September I found a Craigslist ad for the bike I was looking at for a happy price. The rest of the change is now earmarked for pedals Thomson seat post and possibly a saddle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.