Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How did you buy your bike ???

19K views 244 replies 191 participants last post by  Mazukea 
#1 ·
For the most this is not a cheap hobby. A typical bike is about $400-$500 which can be just about a typical American's weekly salary for an entry bike, If you upgrade to 29er's, carbon or FS bikes they can be as expensive as 4-5k for a bike. People don't make that in a month. So with the cost of living going through the roof and our bills getting higher and higher. What type of funds did you use to buy your bike.

I charged mine to the "game" ... Visa game that is for my Giant 29er.

#63 ·
All my bikes were purchased piece by piece and assembled / build by me so I never really feel the financial impact. Also, I already have a bunch of parts laying around from previous bikes and builds so when I start a new project, I use the existing parts to start the build. Then as I buy the parts I want (as opposed to the parts I have), I put them on. The parts I remove either to go upgrade an already existing bike I have or they're sold off to fund the next thing.

Case in point, the bike I just built -

This bike start out it's life in my household as a fully rigid singlespeed until I had all the parts I wanted for it (which is now how you see it). The parts I took off of it are going on my next build when it arrives (come on On One, HURRY UP!).

#67 · (Edited)
I'm much luckier but in a reverse situation. I love my grandmother, too. She's still with us at age 97. Lucky me. Lucky all of us grandchildren.

But her limited social security and Medicaid doesn't pay for vitamins, supplements and healthier foods. So I give her a good chunk of money every month. Needless to say, her legacy is not about money because she doesn't have any. I hope to support her for many more years to come. Please don't leave us yet, grandma!

Now, when my new bike arrives (ordered last week), I'm pretty sure she would be happy to see that I have enough to treat myself.

It helps me to ride harder and faster. ;)

#68 ·
I bought all of my 3 bicycles in parts and assembled them by myself. For the payment, I save 10% of my monthly wage to this activity. And at the end of the year I am able to buy a complete bike with only top level parts.

I started to do this 4 years ago, and in 2 or 3 months I will be able to buy my forth bicycle (third titanium !)

If I don't have the cash, I save money until I get the needed amount. That always surprise and impress my wife, and with that saving I am still able to save money for buying a future house and invite my fiancee to the restaurant.

And for me I prefer buying a bicycle in parts rather than buying a complete bike that you will have to change the wheels, stem and handlebars. It finally does not cost more.

#75 ·
That always surprise and impress my wife, and with that saving I am still able to save money for buying a future house and invite my fiancee to the restaurant.
Woah! A wife and a fiancee? I wanna start a new thread and title it "How did you get a wife and a fiancee?" :thumbsup:

#71 ·
"If I don't have the cash, I save money until I get the needed amount. That always surprise and impress my wife, and with that saving I am still able to save money for buying a future house and invite my fiancee to the restaurant"

Something is wrong with this sentence but I'm having trouble figuring it out? :nono:

#76 ·
I basically buy some sort of bike part every month and have an inventory of goodies to apply to building up new frames as I need/want them. That wayI get the bikes I want with the parts I want and it's a fun hobby shopping for the stuff and figuring it all out. I've built my last 3 bikes this way and am in the process of building up a new one. I usually sell off the old frames or give them to friends/family.

#97 ·
This is what I did. Over the years I picked up "last year's stuff" for cheap. Have quite the stash (actually no need to buy more parts for a while). When I built up my Superlight a few years back, I gave my #2 HT to my dtr in law.

Bought the SL frame, fork, wheels and HS from my LBS for cash. The rest from my stash.

#84 ·
Best way to score a really nice bike:

1) Do you really need the newest model? The newest model costs more obviously so you can save some $$ by buing a few model years back and still have a decent bike.

2) Can't afford the whole bike? Buy it one part at a time. Takes longer but in the end, you get the bike you want with the parts you want.

3) Look for deals on classifieds and the internet. I got a $800 Marz. 66 RC2 fork brand new for $399 on sale back in 2008. Brand new Avid Juicy 3 hydros for $60 on a local classified.

In the end, I built up a nice 2006 Yeti AS-X (back in 2008) for about $2,100 where a brand new one at the time was around $4,000 or so.

#86 · (Edited)
Type of funds -- charged it on my Mastercard, but then paid it off. Because it was a bigger purchase, about 3k with the bells and whistles and sales tax of roughly $200, I had to transfer from savings to checking for about half of it.

My LBS offers a credit program on their expensive bikes through GE Capital. I imagine it's not cheap, don't know what kind of rates they would offer.

#89 ·
Saved money. Married a smart software engineer. Bring my lunch to work most days. Be happy driving a 99 toyota carolla.( depreciating asset). Ride my crosscheck to work, saving gas. Be happier riding one of my 3 mt bikes. Befriend a bike mechanic who loves ipa's and homemade bacon. ( will trade used/ takeoff parts for said items)

#91 ·
I saved my money and paid cash, actually debit card but you get the picture. I didn't want to blow a ton of money since I'd been a away from riding for a while so I purchased an "unbranded" bike online. Aside from wishing I'd gotten the next size smaller the bike has been great. Reba, X9 and Elixir 5's for around a grand shipped to my door I can't complain. Next bike will be done the same way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.