Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Bike shop had some slightly used demo models on the cheap, saved a bundle.

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
    I Ebayed the majority of my bike in pieces. Ended up spending well over $1000.00 which is probably what I would of spent if I bought the bike as a whole, but this way, I get to put the parts I want on them as well as putting the bike together myself which the best part for me. Plus, I love bidding on stuff. I picked up a great 2010 Giant XTC1, brand new, for $200.00.
    If only I can get a great deal on a Anthem 29er or Trance 29er
    Giant Talon ... with a few upgrades

mtbr member
    I have a savings account, specifically for bike-related purchases. X amount of money gets diverted there the 1st of every month from my checking account (plus random deposits, such as tax refund or cash deposits). I don't allow myself to exceed whatever is in savings. Every month, when it comes time to pay the credit card bill (100% paid off, every month), I'll move however much I spent that month into the bill-pay account.

So, in a round about way, I pay cash.

It helps that I have pretty pedestrian tastes. Road bike is a Surly Pacer. Mountain bike is a NOS Fuji 29er that I got for cheap.

mtbr member
    Cash!!!
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Sold some stock. Paid cash.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Inheritance money, otherwise never would have been able to afford it with one teen and one in college.
    Jamis Dakar XC Comp
    Jamis Quest
    Selle Italia Ldy Gel saddles

mtbr member
    Bought a frame on CL. Got the components from price point and jenson usa. Then built it myself. Saved a lot doing it that way. Most of the parts were from the previous year,so they were a bit cheaper.
    They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    107 responses so far and not a single person being irresponsible with their finances buying overly expensive bike parts.

I'm sure no one has exaggerated their financial position and to that I say...cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Sloth View Post
    107 responses so far and not a single person being irresponsible with their finances buying overly expensive bike parts.

I'm sure no one has exaggerated their financial position and to that I say...cheers
    I thought this thread was about bikes as opposed to bike parts.

How can you be so sure that "no one has exaggerated their financial position"? You're implying that everyone in this thread has lied about their ability to buy. Bizarre. Did the cash buyers buy with...less cash?
    '12 S-Works Stumpjumper carbon HT
    '13 Specialized Carve Comp
    '94 S-Works M2

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore View Post
    I thought this thread was about bikes as opposed to bike parts.

How can you be so sure that "no one has exaggerated their financial position"? You're implying that everyone in this thread has lied about their ability to buy. Bizarre. Did the cash buyers buy with...less cash?
    sir...may i kindly suggest that you go for a ride...or have a drink?

cheers!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I wouldn't say that "i paid in cash" and "noone is being irresponsible with overly expensive parts" are mutually exclusive statements.

As for me? I sold my soul to the devil for rock and roll.
    Unfortunatey this was when new wave was coming in so I hawked the rock and now I've got a bike!!

Nah, actually I got a job at a LBS at the same time as my mainstream job, agreed to work for bikes or parts instead of cash. Accumulated much working 13-days in a row.
    Funny thing that.. working a job just to support your hobby.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I just picked up a couple extra days of overtime and payed cash... :-)

mtbr member
    My LBS does financing through a local financial company that has a 90 days same as cash no interest policy. I used that and had it paid off before the interest would have kicked in.

If that wasn't an option, I would have saved for a couple more months and paid cash (well, credit card that gets paid off every month).

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Cash money only for toys.

Granted, I technically paid with a credit card to get the airline points, then paid it off right away.

mtbr member
    I have a great house and a wife and kids, work an average job and to be honest there just isnt room for a 3K bike..would I love one hell yeah. I ride an older bike that I do enjoy and
    worked a PT job last year to put a new build together piece by piece..it was a bit more $$ than i anticipated with shipping cost, but I got some great parts and a new bike
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jkad View Post
    I have a great house and a wife and kids, work an average job and to be honest there just isnt room for a 3K bike..would I love one hell yeah. I ride an older bike that I do enjoy and
    worked a PT job last year to put a new build together piece by piece..it was a bit more $$ than i anticipated with shipping cost, but I got some great parts and a new bike
    Nothing wrong with that at all.

Heck, I HAVE a "3k bike" and more times than not I find myself riding my $500 single speed. Don't need to drop a ton of money to have fun.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Bug your lbs a lot...make friends...ask the right questions...buy demos...pay cash. My motto is to usually buy used. First new bike I bought was after 20 years of riding, this year. Save it up, sleep on it, offer discount price for paying cash.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Bought mine on Craigslist. The guy just found out he was going to be a new PaPa. Know how that goes...

mtbr member
    cash at LBS

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Went riding with a buddy for the first time, afterwards went and bought a bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I like to buy outdated models on craigslist

High Desert MTBer
    I had the same bike(s) for many years, then dropped 400 pounds in the UK on a new Trek for cash in 2004. This kept me going a while, then had a bit of a hiatus when I moved to AZ. Next thing I did was have an epiphany in a bike shop when I saw what was now on offer, but managed to turn down the expensive FS options they were trying to sell me. I could not believe the prices and wasn't sure what was best for me, so came out with a new Rockhopper I bought for cash. Then I quickly realised I wanted a full sus bike after all, so I did a lot of research, and decided I wanted a 5" travel bike that weighed 25 lbs, and would cost $2500. After a few months of ferreting out deals online, I wound up with a Salsa El Kaboing frame, Fox fork, and a bunch of top notch stuff on it that cost me $2600 and weighed in at just over 26 lbs. I almost managed it! It took a couple of months, but saved me a bunch of money. I love the bike and have ridden the crap out of it for over 2 years now, and see no great reason to upgrade. It does most of what I need, and when stuff breaks or wears out I go online and search for replacements... If I see bargains for parts I know I will eventually need, I will sometimes buy them if the price is unavoidable.
    I did buy a demo C'dale Rize 2 18 months ago when I was away on tour, got a great price and needed a second bike for those times when I was traveling, or needed a ride when one bike was down. Cash always.
    It's all Here. Now.

Fox Shox
    I bought my bike second hand on ebay for under half the retail price, and no problems at all, everything runs great. Highly reccomend ebay.
    If its not Fox, get forked.

mtbr member
    My bikes were each less than $500.00 each and the first bike was a birthday present. My mountain bike was a previous year's model that was on sale (I think I saved about $250) and I saved for it by dropping all of my pocket change in a jar at the end of each day. I'm in Canada so pocket change can include $1 and $2 coins and over time it does build up. Last February I declared the jar "Mtn bike fund" and in late September I found a Craigslist ad for the bike I was looking at for a happy price. The rest of the change is now earmarked for pedals Thomson seat post and possibly a saddle.
    2011 Jamis Durango 1.0 Femme
    2005 KHS T&C commuter bike

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Short answer --- cash.

1st bike many, many, many years ago, I paid cash in a pawn shop.
    2nd bike was previous years bike I got from my LBS. I paid cash for this one as well.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast