Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I basically buy some sort of bike part every month and have an inventory of goodies to apply to building up new frames as I need/want them. That wayI get the bikes I want with the parts I want and it's a fun hobby shopping for the stuff and figuring it all out. I've built my last 3 bikes this way and am in the process of building up a new one. I usually sell off the old frames or give them to friends/family.

mtbr member
    I am lucky enough to have a job that gives bonus twice a year. I got my bike after one of the bonus periods. Paid cash.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    How did you buy your bike ???
    I wanted it so there for I worked hard to earn it
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

the half breed devil
    i used $1600 of a $5000 severance package from my former employer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    Woah! A wife and a fiancee? I wanna start a new thread and title it "How did you get a wife and a fiancee?"
    That's two balls and a chain. It would be better to just have two GFs.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    cash for the first one....cash and IRS return for the second one
    '12 Trek Marlin Signature Green
    '13 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Gulf Blue/Orange

the half breed devil
    oh...and my 'cross is a warranty replacement for a bike i purchased on credit...

and my SS was given to me by my neighbor across the street when he took delivery of his new lynskey...

and my ibis was a repaired frame paid for in cash at the the old ibis "garage sales" near petaluma in late 1997...

mtbr member
    Well I was walking by this brew pub in Bend and there were two really nice bikes sitting unlocked and I........
    Did I say that out loud. Never mind.
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Best way to score a really nice bike:

1) Do you really need the newest model? The newest model costs more obviously so you can save some $$ by buing a few model years back and still have a decent bike.

2) Can't afford the whole bike? Buy it one part at a time. Takes longer but in the end, you get the bike you want with the parts you want.

3) Look for deals on classifieds and the internet. I got a $800 Marz. 66 RC2 fork brand new for $399 on sale back in 2008. Brand new Avid Juicy 3 hydros for $60 on a local classified.

In the end, I built up a nice 2006 Yeti AS-X (back in 2008) for about $2,100 where a brand new one at the time was around $4,000 or so.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    road bikes i always bought new from saving money from jobs. since just got into mtb, decided i would go used and see what was out there. paid cash. now the fun begins.....riding!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Type of funds -- charged it on my Mastercard, but then paid it off. Because it was a bigger purchase, about 3k with the bells and whistles and sales tax of roughly $200, I had to transfer from savings to checking for about half of it.

My LBS offers a credit program on their expensive bikes through GE Capital. I imagine it's not cheap, don't know what kind of rates they would offer.
    Last edited by MotownDanny; 01-24-2013 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Adding a comment.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    oh come on gentlemen, we are not married but she has the ring on the finger......My english is not as good as my cycling skills
    Chistole Audax Club - "Unity, Pride and Charcuterie"

Merendon Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by brigadier View Post
    oh come on gentlemen, we are not married but she has the ring on the finger......My english is not as good as my cycling skills
    I just thought you were some sort of polygamist.... No biggie!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Saved money. Married a smart software engineer. Bring my lunch to work most days. Be happy driving a 99 toyota carolla.( depreciating asset). Ride my crosscheck to work, saving gas. Be happier riding one of my 3 mt bikes. Befriend a bike mechanic who loves ipa's and homemade bacon. ( will trade used/ takeoff parts for said items)

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Cash....well...a check....but same thing. Not too keen to finance a toy. I have a lot of bikes but I live a very Spartan life otherwise.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I saved my money and paid cash, actually debit card but you get the picture. I didn't want to blow a ton of money since I'd been a away from riding for a while so I purchased an "unbranded" bike online. Aside from wishing I'd gotten the next size smaller the bike has been great. Reba, X9 and Elixir 5's for around a grand shipped to my door I can't complain. Next bike will be done the same way.

no trees are safe
    Went to an LBS. Checked out some magazines. Picked up a bike I liked. And in 2 weeks returned for the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brigadier View Post
    Glad to hear you are not married to two women. One is bad enough. Is the wife ok with you having a fiancee? And, how does the fiancee feel about you being married?
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I stopped in at the LBS tonight -- the owner had a good line -- What is the "right" number of bikes to have in the garage? One less than will get you hauled into divorce court.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Usually just sell a bunch of splifs to the kids.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Glad to hear you are not married to two women. One is bad enough. Is the wife ok with you having a fiancee? And, how does the fiancee feel about you being married?
    The Big Lebowski - Nobody ****s with the Jesus. - YouTube
    Last edited by brigadier; 01-25-2013 at 02:05 AM.
    Chistole Audax Club - "Unity, Pride and Charcuterie"

I like pie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nail Every Trail View Post
    I basically buy some sort of bike part every month and have an inventory of goodies to apply to building up new frames as I need/want them. That wayI get the bikes I want with the parts I want and it's a fun hobby shopping for the stuff and figuring it all out. I've built my last 3 bikes this way and am in the process of building up a new one. I usually sell off the old frames or give them to friends/family.
    This is what I did. Over the years I picked up "last year's stuff" for cheap. Have quite the stash (actually no need to buy more parts for a while). When I built up my Superlight a few years back, I gave my #2 HT to my dtr in law.

Bought the SL frame, fork, wheels and HS from my LBS for cash. The rest from my stash.

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    My little thread has come a long way... Best line thus far is "cash"
    Giant Talon ... with a few upgrades

mtbr member
    Paid cash for all of my bikes except for my very first bike, 1989 (or 1990) Specialized Hardrock. I financed the $300 or $400 bike when I was a starving college student.

I plan on paying cash for a new (or new-to-me) bike, but I'm going to sell a bunch of things that I'm not using such as two sets of track wheels, rain tires, dry tires, race wheel uprights/hubs, car body parts, a pro photo strobe system and a few other things. I should have enough for an even better bike than what I have now.
    '12 S-Works Stumpjumper carbon HT
    '13 Specialized Carve Comp
    '94 S-Works M2

mtbr member
    I Ebayed the majority of my bike in pieces. Ended up spending well over $1000.00 which is probably what I would of spent if I bought the bike as a whole, but this way, I get to put the parts I want on them as well as putting the bike together myself which the best part for me. Plus, I love bidding on stuff. I picked up a great 2010 Giant XTC1, brand new, for $200.00.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast