Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Bike shop had some slightly used demo models on the cheap, saved a bundle.

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
    I Ebayed the majority of my bike in pieces. Ended up spending well over $1000.00 which is probably what I would of spent if I bought the bike as a whole, but this way, I get to put the parts I want on them as well as putting the bike together myself which the best part for me. Plus, I love bidding on stuff. I picked up a great 2010 Giant XTC1, brand new, for $200.00.
    If only I can get a great deal on a Anthem 29er or Trance 29er
    Giant Talon ... with a few upgrades

mtbr member
    I have a savings account, specifically for bike-related purchases. X amount of money gets diverted there the 1st of every month from my checking account (plus random deposits, such as tax refund or cash deposits). I don't allow myself to exceed whatever is in savings. Every month, when it comes time to pay the credit card bill (100% paid off, every month), I'll move however much I spent that month into the bill-pay account.

So, in a round about way, I pay cash.

It helps that I have pretty pedestrian tastes. Road bike is a Surly Pacer. Mountain bike is a NOS Fuji 29er that I got for cheap.

mtbr member
    Cash!!!
    2016 Cannondale Scalpel Si Carbon 3 (27.5)
    2013 Specialized Camber Carbon
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Sold some stock. Paid cash.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Inheritance money, otherwise never would have been able to afford it with one teen and one in college.
    Jamis Dakar XC Comp
    Jamis Quest
    Selle Italia Ldy Gel saddles

mtbr member
    Bought a frame on CL. Got the components from price point and jenson usa. Then built it myself. Saved a lot doing it that way. Most of the parts were from the previous year,so they were a bit cheaper.
    They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    107 responses so far and not a single person being irresponsible with their finances buying overly expensive bike parts.

I'm sure no one has exaggerated their financial position and to that I say...cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Sloth View Post
    107 responses so far and not a single person being irresponsible with their finances buying overly expensive bike parts.

I'm sure no one has exaggerated their financial position and to that I say...cheers
    I thought this thread was about bikes as opposed to bike parts.

How can you be so sure that "no one has exaggerated their financial position"? You're implying that everyone in this thread has lied about their ability to buy. Bizarre. Did the cash buyers buy with...less cash?
    '12 S-Works Stumpjumper carbon HT
    '13 Specialized Carve Comp
    '94 S-Works M2

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore View Post
    I thought this thread was about bikes as opposed to bike parts.

How can you be so sure that "no one has exaggerated their financial position"? You're implying that everyone in this thread has lied about their ability to buy. Bizarre. Did the cash buyers buy with...less cash?
    sir...may i kindly suggest that you go for a ride...or have a drink?

cheers!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I wouldn't say that "i paid in cash" and "noone is being irresponsible with overly expensive parts" are mutually exclusive statements.

As for me? I sold my soul to the devil for rock and roll.
    Unfortunatey this was when new wave was coming in so I hawked the rock and now I've got a bike!!

Nah, actually I got a job at a LBS at the same time as my mainstream job, agreed to work for bikes or parts instead of cash. Accumulated much working 13-days in a row.
    Funny thing that.. working a job just to support your hobby.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I just picked up a couple extra days of overtime and payed cash... :-)

mtbr member
    My LBS does financing through a local financial company that has a 90 days same as cash no interest policy. I used that and had it paid off before the interest would have kicked in.

If that wasn't an option, I would have saved for a couple more months and paid cash (well, credit card that gets paid off every month).

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Cash money only for toys.

Granted, I technically paid with a credit card to get the airline points, then paid it off right away.

mtbr member
    I have a great house and a wife and kids, work an average job and to be honest there just isnt room for a 3K bike..would I love one hell yeah. I ride an older bike that I do enjoy and
    worked a PT job last year to put a new build together piece by piece..it was a bit more $$ than i anticipated with shipping cost, but I got some great parts and a new bike
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jkad View Post
    I have a great house and a wife and kids, work an average job and to be honest there just isnt room for a 3K bike..would I love one hell yeah. I ride an older bike that I do enjoy and
    worked a PT job last year to put a new build together piece by piece..it was a bit more $$ than i anticipated with shipping cost, but I got some great parts and a new bike
    Nothing wrong with that at all.

Heck, I HAVE a "3k bike" and more times than not I find myself riding my $500 single speed. Don't need to drop a ton of money to have fun.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Bug your lbs a lot...make friends...ask the right questions...buy demos...pay cash. My motto is to usually buy used. First new bike I bought was after 20 years of riding, this year. Save it up, sleep on it, offer discount price for paying cash.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Bought mine on Craigslist. The guy just found out he was going to be a new PaPa. Know how that goes...

mtbr member
    cash at LBS

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Went riding with a buddy for the first time, afterwards went and bought a bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I like to buy outdated models on craigslist

High Desert MTBer
    I had the same bike(s) for many years, then dropped 400 pounds in the UK on a new Trek for cash in 2004. This kept me going a while, then had a bit of a hiatus when I moved to AZ. Next thing I did was have an epiphany in a bike shop when I saw what was now on offer, but managed to turn down the expensive FS options they were trying to sell me. I could not believe the prices and wasn't sure what was best for me, so came out with a new Rockhopper I bought for cash. Then I quickly realised I wanted a full sus bike after all, so I did a lot of research, and decided I wanted a 5" travel bike that weighed 25 lbs, and would cost $2500. After a few months of ferreting out deals online, I wound up with a Salsa El Kaboing frame, Fox fork, and a bunch of top notch stuff on it that cost me $2600 and weighed in at just over 26 lbs. I almost managed it! It took a couple of months, but saved me a bunch of money. I love the bike and have ridden the crap out of it for over 2 years now, and see no great reason to upgrade. It does most of what I need, and when stuff breaks or wears out I go online and search for replacements... If I see bargains for parts I know I will eventually need, I will sometimes buy them if the price is unavoidable.
    I did buy a demo C'dale Rize 2 18 months ago when I was away on tour, got a great price and needed a second bike for those times when I was traveling, or needed a ride when one bike was down. Cash always.
    It's all Here. Now.

Fox Shox
    I bought my bike second hand on ebay for under half the retail price, and no problems at all, everything runs great. Highly reccomend ebay.
    If its not Fox, get forked.

mtbr member
    My bikes were each less than $500.00 each and the first bike was a birthday present. My mountain bike was a previous year's model that was on sale (I think I saved about $250) and I saved for it by dropping all of my pocket change in a jar at the end of each day. I'm in Canada so pocket change can include $1 and $2 coins and over time it does build up. Last February I declared the jar "Mtn bike fund" and in late September I found a Craigslist ad for the bike I was looking at for a happy price. The rest of the change is now earmarked for pedals Thomson seat post and possibly a saddle.
    2011 Jamis Durango 1.0 Femme
    2005 KHS T&C commuter bike

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Short answer --- cash.

1st bike many, many, many years ago, I paid cash in a pawn shop.
    2nd bike was previous years bike I got from my LBS. I paid cash for this one as well.

mtbr member
    I always save up some cash and then sell my previous bike. Then I take that cash and typically buy a year or two old bike or last year's frame on a clearance deal. Sometimes I save my higher end parts and swap those over to a new frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I just bought a new bike a couple of weeks ago (Salsa Fargo Ti). I just realized that it was my first "new" bike I had bought since 1990. That one was a Bridgestone MB1. All of my other bikes have been bought used or frame upgrades with old parts or new parts on old frames. I currently have 5 road and 2 mountain bikes, plus a couple of frames just sitting. I scraped and saved to buy that MB1 back then but with age comes increased income and I didn't think twice when the deal on the Fargo presented itself. I still prefer a bargain and/or building it up yourself over just walking in an buying a bike. I really wish I hadn't sold the MB1 but I needed cash for another build (which is long gone).

mtbr member
    At first I was a little surprised that most everyone on this thread was so financially responsible, but after thinking about it for a minute it makes sense for a few reasons:

1. Average age on mtbr is in the 40s I believe which tend to be more responsible and have more disposable income.
    2. Anyone admitting to paying with a credit card then skipping payments (or making interest only payments) is going to get lambasted by the responsible guys.
    3. Just because someone pays cash for a bike doesn't automatically mean he's being finacially responsible. He may be skipping other bills or not paying his child support, etc.

Having said that, it's good to see that folks are being financially responsible with "non-essential" expenses. I use that term guardedly because riding is pretty dang "essential" to most of us.

I make good money but we live on a strict budget. Live debt free including our house, have 6 months emergency fund saved, medical fund, pay cash for everything including cars. etc. (Yes we are Dave Ramsey disciples) I only allow myself $400 a month for my bike habit, including bike trips. It's tough sometimes but I stick to it.

So buying a new bike takes some patience and planning. For my latest bike purchase I sold off or parted out my two main bikes and saved my monthly bike allowance for 3-4 months and I'll have enough when the new Chilcotin comes in March (amazing how much easier it is to save the bike allowance when there's no bikes in the garage to spend money on).
    Last edited by KRob; 02-14-2013 at 04:21 PM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Yeah there's something of a self selection bias: those who browse mtbr narrows it down, those willing to comment here makes it even more constricted.

My bike is about high end now and it's just been years of upgrades and saving.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Was a smoker for ten years, gave up in September 99.

My hobby back then was dirt bike / trail riding. I figured out how much I had been spending on cigarettes each month and that became my motorbiking budget. I had three new bikes over 10 years and a bunch of rider equipment. Couple of years ago I sold off my motorbikes and all the gear I had accumulated and this became my mountain bike fund.... bought my bikes that way - 2 new and one second hand.

My monthly spend now on MTB related activities is the same as the cost of smoking - the great thing with this is the cost of smoking keeps going up so my hobby money is index linked!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    swipe to get points, then paid off when bill came
    2011 Specialized Rockhopper Expert 29er

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Sold my previous 29er Orbea Alma to my brother added some cash to that and ended with a Flash 1. :-)
    Ibis Mojo SL, Sram X7/9 2x10, Fox Talas 110, 130, 150
    Orbea Alma H30
    Cannondale Flash 1 Ally
    Raleigh RC 8000

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    made sure to buy Pre-K--before kids. Now I have my road bike and mountain bike for life (though my road bike is perfect, I find myself jonesing for a new mtb ride)

DFMBA.org
    First bike, GE Capital financing thru my lbs. 12 months same as cash. If I can borrow someone else's money for a year for free, why wouldn't I? 2nd bike, stock options baby!

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The first (adult-life, that is) was bought in July 2011, for a 200-mile touring trip in the Austrian and Italian Alps. It was one of these more sporty hybrids - a Cube Nature Pro.

Then I was hooked. I started taking it up the mountains where I live (paved), then started taking it up the mountains on unpaved tracks. It wasn't really living up to the task, so I started lurking in this forum.

Then I sold the Cube. And I sold my car which I was using pretty much once every two weeks (the perks of living in Europe: you don't really need a motorised set of wheels). Then, last December, I bought a new FS29er. Now I want a road bike, too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    My LBS owner is the devil he shows me all the new stuff and every time a new bike or part comes out I desire...online classifieds fire sale.

I like turtles
    I should have actually mentioned it - I actually sold some stock options to get my latest bike. I used the CC, then paid it off the next month with a portion of the proceeds from the stock sale.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    i did my weekly visit to freewheeler bike and i thought to my self i think its time to stop using my hard tail and get a full suspension frame. so i was looking at their frames and saw way in back with other frames piled on top was a fuji adventure hi trail frame. i instantly fell in love with it. so i asked Gordy the owner what do you want for this frame? he replied $100 and she's all yours. so i migrated the parts from my old frame onto my new frame. so that's how i bought my bike.
    Last edited by trail-adventure; 01-30-2013 at 07:49 AM.

slow
    All of the current bikes and all of the bikes purchased in the past 10-15 years have been paid for with cash. I almost always buy used and to get the best deals, I offer cash.

Back when I worked in shops and bought new, I bought on a shop employee deal. For several years, I would sell the previous year's bike to a friend for whatever the new model was going to cost me. I had friends waiting for me to get my new bike each year so they could buy the previous year's bike. Basically my only investment was the amount I paid for my first bike from the shop and then each year my upgrade was paid for.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Me and my girl both have new bikes. We both are full grown mid 30's adults with career jobs. No kids and no plans to have any. We live a life of fun and adventure. Brought out the credit cards, paid for new bikes, sold old bikes and made the payments. Bikes are used, made to do what they are breed for and paid for ASAP. What can I say, most days life is good. Some days we fight,others we ride..!!!!
    2011 Enduro Comp.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    i guess pimping your wife would be a bad idea?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Using tax return and had a major parts garage sale on ebay to fund my latest build. Before that it was all credit card, trying to steer away from that nowadays.

mtbr member
    After tossing half of my paycheck into savings and then paying bills I have a bit of disposable income leftover for hobbies. It helps that I make a decent paycheck.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    How ?.....
    Piece by piece.
    Reading and learning.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    I should also that I have always helped my gear addiction by selling my old stuff to help buy new stuff. I have also bought used to save money and bought a lot of things when I worked at a shop in college and got a discount; I still have quite a bit of it!
    Sounds like the boat I'm in (including the geologist part). Financial Aid helped me get previous bikes going (I built up 2 from the frame up) and since I have been in two mountain biking classes, TA'd for one, and been the president of our student Mountain Biking Club, it's all been rather justified. I've paid my dues at the local shop, will start really truly working there soon. I'll be picking up a 2013 Stumpy FSR Expert Evo once I do. Wonderful.

To pay for this next bike I'm parting out my Remedy and my Jamis Bam, and am going borderline hermit status on the weekend and skipping out on the stereotypical college student debauchery.
    Go ride your bike.

mtbr member
    Waited for tax return, then drove to the bike shop, test rode my bike of interest and in my price point, and finally paid for my bike.

FireEye Shortfuse 380
    Mar 2012
    Bought the frame from CRC on sale, then pieced it together one piece at a time as I could afford. I't more expensive than just saving and buying a bike but I have every part I want and choose.

mtbr member
    1. Bought a decent bike from an online retailer with decent parts.
    2. Purchased a 2009 Marin Mount Vision 5.8 frame
    3. Swapped all parts from the online bike to the FS frame
    4. Saved the spec list from the Marin site on the actual 2009 MountVision 5.8 and every time I had some cash to spend on me I purchased parts to built the same/better bike as they were selling for $3600

Only thing I'm missing now it a Fox fork but I'm fine with the one I have and enjoy the bike.

P.S. the link in my sig is the old bike right after swapping the parts from the first bike. I didn't upload any pics with the upgraded parts but all the parts that were originally switched from the first bike to the FS frame have been upgraded and the HT bike has been put back together and sold to family member

I'm SUCH a square....
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    Uncle Sam's tax giveback.
    This. Been doing it that way since '03. Bought a full-suss Motobecane from BikesDirect that year, and had to pull the parts off it to put on a Pacific hardtail that crutched me through the last half of '04 -- the Moto frame BROKE, got no support or feedback. (That's why I'm so anti-BikesDirect....) '05 was the last year I bought a frame & parts that lasted less than 5 years.

'03 was also the last year I bought a complete bike; ever since, I've been building up my own mixes. (Guaranteed, no one else has an '06 Kona Coiler Supreme with Sun Equalizer wheels, a Nixon fork in urban camo, and an NC-17 riser bar clamped by an Evolve Sterling stem, with a Selle SMP Trk saddle....)
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rossluzz View Post
    I always save up some cash and then sell my previous bike. Then I take that cash and typically buy a year or two old bike or last year's frame on a clearance deal. Sometimes I save my higher end parts and swap those over to a new frame.
    ^^ This. Usually I buy a used bike, or older model new bike or frame, then swap parts. I built my S-Works for 3 K including brand new frame and full warranty.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast