Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How did you buy your bike ???

19K views 244 replies 191 participants last post by  Mazukea 
#1 ·
For the most this is not a cheap hobby. A typical bike is about $400-$500 which can be just about a typical American's weekly salary for an entry bike, If you upgrade to 29er's, carbon or FS bikes they can be as expensive as 4-5k for a bike. People don't make that in a month. So with the cost of living going through the roof and our bills getting higher and higher. What type of funds did you use to buy your bike.

I charged mine to the "game" ... Visa game that is for my Giant 29er.

#22 ·
During the fall and winter months to spring I pay for the bike and it takes about six month to pay for it (layaway) , but I wont be doing that much longer, for the past three years I bought a new bike every season going to ride my new bike for at least two years. Its taken me three years to figure out what I value most in a bike. Also some winters out here last 5 months so lots of time to save. Newest Bike I,m saving for is the Norco Sight 650b 2.

#176 ·
Take the time to get a good education, get a good job, and mange your money wisely. But it takes far more patience and sacrifice than most people are wiling to make. I always pay cash for my bikes.

Haha you make it sound like getting a good education and a good job is easy. You do realize that a lot of people don't have wealthy parents or relatives to pay for their "good education" right? If only it was just a matter of "taking the time"...

#29 ·
Ordered a new 29er frame, wheels, and fork from my LBS. Moved all parts that would work from a 26 that I was riding to complete the build and get it running. Over the next year or so I upgraded components on the 29er and rebuilt the 26 until I had 2 complete bikes.

#30 ·
Cash (which includes credit cards that are paid in full each month).

One caveat: if there's a 0% deal, then I'm a firm believer in using other people's money and making sure it's paid off on time.

I also buy end of the year deals and/or sale bikes, typically.

#31 ·
One caveat: if there's a 0% deal, then I'm a firm believer in using other people's money
Absolutely, but I am guessing most people who are willing to finance a mountain bike either don't have the credit to get 0% or won't have it for long. lol

(Using a credit card and paying it off at the end of the month is not financing, it is just getting your rewards points lol)

#35 ·
Bought my first bike (26er HT) with cash and sold it less than a year later to upgrade. Upgraded that bike with a better fork and then sold it 2 years later to move from HT to FS. Fully upgraded this bike and kept it for 5 years. Parted it out and bought a new FS which I again fully high end upgraded. I killed that bike in a really bad accident but I salvaged what I could and built up my first 29er (an HT). Once I was ready to switch back to a FS, I parted the 29er HT out and bought a 29er FS frame which I once again fully tricked out.

All the while, I was selling parts to help pay for new parts AND slowly building up a surplus of used parts.

This hobby is not cheap but it's a heck of a lot cheaper than many other hobbies out there.

#36 ·
My old trek that I found on craigslist was finally worn out. It was covered with stickers and had been
nicknamed the "old jalopy". I needed a new bike but didnt want to pay new bike prices so I started looking at my LBS demo fleet. I didnt realize that even demo bikes are still expensive.

Finally my dads estate was closed out and I inherited a little money so I used part of it to buy a 2010 Turner 5 spot demo and I have been happy since.

#40 ·
This is an interesting thread. Being as though I don't own a bike under $2K, and still have "entry level" bikes, I'd be really interested to seeing what you can get for $500 these days. My first bike, in '96 was a GT Outpost Trail that I bought for $550 and I added a suspension fork for $200.

Having said all that BS, I've bought several bikes in my days most of which I saved up for, but for one I made payment arrangements with the LBS.

#41 ·
I'd be really interested to seeing what you can get for $500
I have a Marin Bolinas Ridge 29er that was reg $699 and I got on sale at REI for $499.

Not the best by far but it is a great bike and it takes me everywhere my friends go with their $3k+ bikes with just as big of a smile on my face at the end of the day.

Also, for $500 you can get a little bit higher end bike if you shop used.

Plenty of bikes out there for $500 or less that will reliably take you on any trail if you just shop around.

BTW, I ride mostly Pisgah and DuPont so yes I am hitting difficult trails.

#44 ·
I agree with abeacstead, I've been working my Arse off in the same field since I was 16, I make a good living and I'm glad I can pay for my addiction, well, almost.
Last year I was really wanting to add more bikes to the stable, I had to decide where I was going to pull a substantial amount of money without going in debt. So I sold my truck.

that was a tough decision to make! But it free'd up enough cash that I was able to buy an older truck, and really deck myself out with new bikes. Best decision I'd made in a long time! Wheel Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame
a year later I'm looking around trying to find what else I can sell to fund a new Fatbike.

Attachments

#46 ·
Bought my first mt bike a Giant Sedona ATX in 1990 with cash, actually put it on layaway. Took a couple weeks to spring it from the bike shop but I was happy when I did. Every bike since has been with cash. i learnt early on in college that credit sucks. they should really ban those credit card hawkers on campus and have a mandatory credit card course. I bought a Salsa Warbird Ti last week with cash now that I'm in a much better spot financially. I drive a 2000 Nissan pickup, don't wear fancy clothes or jewelry but I do splurge on stuff I like - bikes, beer, bacon and b1tches!

#50 ·
Ahh, the world of creative financing.

When I was in school, I borrowed money from 3 people to buy my first MTB, but anymore I do not buy unless I have the money saved. I don't live high off the hog so that's not a big deal, and I HATE spending money on vehicles, so I save a good bit there for other, more important things.
I did buy a bike in anticipation of selling an old one, and then been stuck for awhile because the old one wasn't selling. It caused me to go without new, red ano. CK hubs.
How did I ever survive such trying times? ;)

-F

#53 ·
1. Sold some items that were not being used.
2. Put the money in a demand note account.
3. Applied for a Trek CC with no interest for 12 months. -- Took bike home.
4. After 12 months pulled the money out and paid off CC with no interest.
5. Kept the interest I earned in the bank.
:)

#55 ·
I saved up for months!

Riding (a mountain bike) for me is both a recreational outdoors activity and a fitness routine - one that I used to do on a regular basis. So I really wanted to get back in shape. I made a new year's resolution from last summer. It's for my health. Nice equipment only helps.

That's what we have to consider - the ultimate purpose of the bike.

And having owned cheapees from the time I was a kid, and moving up in quality every decade or so, my previous bike had horrible rim brakes even though it was a $580 Rockhopper (in 1997).

Now that I've sold the Rockhopper, I'm strategically saved up with enough cash to get a new one ('13 Trek Mamba). The determining factor for me now is HYDRAULIC DISC brakes.

#56 ·
bought my first 2 (old Specialized Rockhopper HT and 2002 Santa Cruz Superlight) with cash when I was single and had a good job.

Moved, quit my job, went to grad school, got married, finmished grad school, got a new job. I negotiated a signing bonus with the new job and my wife said I could use it to buy a new bike. Bought a very lightly used, tricked out Santa Cruz BlurLTc. Now every time I go riding with someone new, my wife asks me 'do they have a nicer bike than you?" and most of the time, I get to smile and say 'nope' :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.