Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    heh I got mine though a bike loan scheme at work, to encourage us Aus Public Service guys to go green. one of the guys in our defence force used to ride for a merida team and was selling his team carbon 96 2011 model for a good price race tuned (he already had a newer model), FSA carbon everything, sweeet ride, walk past a pawnbroker with it lol and people start asking me if I want to sell it. nooo chance

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    I was set up with my first bike by a buddy of mine. Kinda blind date style. I enjoyed riding so much I bought it. Within a year I had the full blown fever and moved from a hardtail to a more aggressive FS bike. Then two years after that one I drank the 29er kool-aid and bought a 29er hardtail. Started with the frame and built it up. I had so much fun with that project that I bought a FS 29er frame and fork and built that one up too. I do my best not to think about how much I've spent. I just keep riding and enjoying my purchases.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Just sold two bikes to buy one new bike. Addition by subtraction!

Mtn View, CA
    With cash off craigslist.
    Atomic batteries to power...turbines to speed...

mtbr member
    My Schwinn was like a 'pound rescue'. It was hanging in a friend of a friend's garage collecting dust and I was able to snatch it up. That was a while ago and the 29er of mine was a more recent purchase. The Schwinn was starting to get tired and I decided to retire it to commuter status. That's when I scooped up the XtC and have been enjoying the benefits of a 29er HT.
    Trails - 2012 Giant XTC Composite 1 29er
    Townie - 2001 Schwinn Homegrown Factory Limited

mtbr member
    New bikes especially now are often a good investment, however I often find that buying new faces the same risk as buying a new car. Often itis betterto buy a carwith 20 thousend miles on it than a new bike beacuse its weaknesses will already be revealed. The same goes for a bike. After a year or so wear shows and the bad parts show. Italso depreciates quickly but once ithits the minus 100$-200$ depreciating value it really o ly ha a chance to improve especially if you put upgrades on it. For an example I purchased a Kline Mantra in excellent condition. Granted it is 12 years old and I did geta gooddeal 500 dollars. It is an excellent price I know that if any parts were to break they would have already and I know that I am geting an excellent product that I know that I will be abel toride it for many years. Oh did I mention that I spent 550$on it and it was priced at 950-1250$! Happy riding.
    "If you have built castles in the air, that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them."
    -Thoreau

mtbr member
    Saved some money and sold my hardtail when I thought I had enough for a full suspension, I am happy to say it is paid for. Bikes are pricey and it can be difficult to get everything you want, get a good platform and upgrade as you can when you get the extra cash.

mtbr member
    buy a bike, sell a bike, repeat.

mtbr member

How did you buy your bike ???

I just got lucky, I bought a used bike for a bargin price and it's a fantastic bike and I'm very happy with it.

Cannondale Snob
    1st bike was a 2002(?) Iron Horse Warrior Comp in December(?) 2007. I found it on CL for $250, about half the price of new and with only a few rides on it. Great beginner bike, but too heavy to be worth upgrading.
    By March I was addicted, and bought my '06 Cannondale Rush 1000 for $1750 on E-Bay. Charged that one to my CC.
    I sold the Iron Horse for $250 and used the money to buy a new seat and tires for the Rush, plus some other small items.
    I began to miss having a HT, wanted a spare bike, and wanted something I could let my g/f ride. I found a 2004 Cannondale F600 SOBE on CL for $500, and absolutely loved that bike until the day it was stolen!
    To replace it, I decided to build a custom bike that had enough suspension to take out-of-state (FL), so I spent a year and $3,000 piecing together my "1996" Cannondale Uber-V. I paid for it with a mix of CC and cash.
    I really like that bike, too, but still miss the HT! If I can find another 2004 Sobe-Edition F600, or maybe a 2004 Sobe-edition Scalpel, I may get a 3rd bike....
    '06 Cannondale Rush 1000 4" travel 27lbs
    '04 Cannondale F600 SOBE -STOLEN!
    '96 Cannondale Uber-V 6" travel 30lbs

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Took advantage of Treks 12 months no interest to help bring up that credit score after purchasing a home. Paid it of in 90 days of course.

OMG!
    I took out a student loan to buy my dh bike while i was in college. Being on the race team, I got an insane discount on it.

I just bought a xc bike of pinkbike for a steal.

So, to extrapolate the two lessons here: 1) get hooked up and buy new 2) buy used

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I got drunk one night searching information on Niner WFO's.

I started hitting all the ebay as well as a few consignment sites and low-balling the auctions. I put at the bottom of my comments "sorry I'm not trying to insult, but this is all I got".
    Within a couple of days I had a couple of seller's willing to bargain with me and I got an AWESOME deal on an almost new Niner WFO

gnewcomer aka OldMtnGoat

I ride xc/enduro, because baseball, basketball, football and golf require only one ball....

mtbr member

When I got into Mtbing at a younger age, I financed my first real mountain bike. It was a GT Avalanche for around $1200.(early 90's). Since then, I've saved and purchased all my bikes of the past. I've never purchased my dream bike because I just can't come to terms with paying that much for a bike, 4k-5k! My current bike is a GT Zaskar Pro 29r that was built up by my LBS with higher end components, wheels, etc. it ended up costing 2k out the door. Believe or not, my mother'n'law purchased that bike for me in a round about way! It's my first HT since the mid 90's and I absolutely can say that I LOVE this bike!

mtbr member

First MTB was a trek 6000 aluminum frame (still made in USA) Brother called me from A swap meet in rural Oregon while I was working in California... Picked it up when I showed up for college a few months later. Rode that for 5 years, no suspension at all.... Until I put a suspension stem on it.. Not recommended... Way too much slop! Did a lot of urban riding and some single track around LaGrande Oregon. Quit riding for about 15 yrs so it sat collecting dust. Decided I was tired of constantly expanding...... So got it tuned up, ride it twice and decided it wasn't going to cut it....

Started checking Craigslist and came across a beautiful 2006 Salsa else santo fs I got for 500. Owners were moving, had "upgraded" to 29'r so had no need for it. Was a tertiary bike for them
    And didn't want to transport it with them.

So far I have given her a tune up and been riding. Love it, love it, love it! Donated the trek to a local organization that gives bikes to those in need and can't afford them. Figured immoaying it forward!

Sent from magic wish granting phone

Dirt Slinger
    Haha first off I bought a Next. Thought it was the best until it broke. Then I got a Giant Rincon 2010 for Christmas and put 1100 miles on it. Then I sold it to my buddy and bought a Giant Yukon FX for 650$ has given me some troubles with the gearing and fork but a great bike. Fork is now totally fixed but still have rear derailleur issues. I have to say though, it was that Next Power Climber that gave me a good sweet tasting lick of mtbing. Now I'm chewing a big bite!!!

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincon98 View Post
    Haha first off I bought a Next. Thought it was the best until it broke. Then I got a Giant Rincon 2010 for Christmas and put 1100 miles on it. Then I sold it to my buddy and bought a Giant Yukon FX for 650$ has given me some troubles with the gearing and fork but a great bike. Fork is now totally fixed but still have rear derailleur issues. I have to say though, it was that Next Power Climber that gave me a good sweet tasting lick of mtbing. Now I'm chewing a big bite!!!
    I had a Next Power Climber as well. That thing was a piece of junk, worthless and not fun to ride. No I have a 2013 Cobia and it is a HUGE difference, also compared to my Cannondale F9.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- 26er
    1994 Cannondale R300- narrow tire roadie

mtbr member
    Straight cash Homie.

I make a lot of sacrifices with my job like being gone from my family and going to some pretty crappy places. I have been riding enough lately to justify the expense.

local trails rider
    Last time I bought a bike, I didn't buy a complete bike. I already had some items from a previous bike: good wheels, brakes, seats, seat post, and a few other things I'd bought when I saw the price was right.

Then I got the frame and fork with cash. Once I had the bike on its wheels and rode it a bit, I decided it needs different bar and stem.

That was in 2010. Since then, I've only needed new chains, brake pads, one set of front hub bearings, new BB cups, chain lube and a small amount of grease.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

I Ride Bikes
    I bought two bikes in the past 14 months.

For my first bike I robbed a bank. Just my luck I stole all the money from my own account.

For my second bike I pick-pocketed a douchebag. Ended up being my own pocket.

Either way they were paid off in full as soon as I got the bikes. I never buy anything that I can't pay off within a month. Unless there is some awesome 0% interest free loan. Gotta pay to play. Gotta save to pay.
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10