mtbr member

How bad do you need it?

My XT rear hub recently gave up the ghost and my (borrowed) backup wheel is now also dead. I have parts on the way that will bring me and my bike into the 21st century including disc brakes, tubeless and whatnot but in the meantime I'm starting to jones pretty bad. I have an ancient but new XTR hub and realized it's the same flange diameter as my newer (dead) XT so I decided wtf, might just as well.

photo 43b1.jpg

Done in just under an hour, including breaking down the old wheel and remounting the tire-

photo 43b2.jpg

It may be somewhat of a hack job but the ($10) rim was already a little knackered and anyway I figure I'm probably only going to get a few rides at most in on it before my new kit arrives and then it will most likely reside in the shed forever more. The wheel is tight and true now though and running smooth on new XTR bearings, and I'm chomping at the bit to give it a good thrashing and see how it holds up.

How far will you go to get your fix?

mtbr member
    Man this makes me want to learn how to build/lace/true wheels because, yes I would definitely have done what you did, if I had the knowledge/tools

Posted via mobile

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    That is one awesome Truing stand. Definitely from back when "they built 'em like they used to"

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Nice bricks
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    No time for single track but I managed a 20 mile mostly road ride. I tried to throw in a few bunnyhops and shred the gnar as much as possible on the little dirt I did have to test out the new wheel. All is well, I love my bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    +1 on the killer truing stand.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Very cool truing stand....& I thought mine was old!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I want that truing stand!

You could have started a whole thread just entitled "Look at my truing stand"

Off to e-bay I go...

mtbr member
    What I NEED is that STAND!! AWESOME!! Matches some of my tools my grandpa gave me. That is Fn sick!!

EDIT: Quick trip to Google =

Name:  C-330.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  113.8 KB
    Bicycle Tools | C-330 WHEEL TRUING STAND
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    I'm like you and have regularly frankensteined bikes and parts in order to keep riding. Don't have the skill or abilities to build and true a wheel yet though....need to learn that.

And, as others have said, very cool truing stand....it needs it's own thread in the tooltime forum

mtbr member
    Ha, it is a cool old hunk of iron but from a convenience standpoint I think I'd trade it for a nice TS-2 or 2.2, probably could have knocked 5 minutes off that build!

Building/truing wheels can be both super easy and kind of hard. It's definitely a little confusing at first and can seem overly difficult but the more you repeat the process the easier it gets. I was one of the last to attend the "Schwinn factory trained" program before it closed down in Chicago somewhare around 1980 and the instructor made us build and quickly true a wheel, completely disassemble it, and then rebuild it again. We did that at least a half dozen times a day for 5 days and by the end I could lace and true a wheel to within (their) acceptable parameters in about 15 minutes. Afterwards, there were sometimes periods spanning many years when I didn't build a single wheel but when I did need to again the process was still ingrained in me from that one week 30 years ago.

If you have an old wheel and a little spare time to fool around with it I highly recommend that method.

mtbr member
    Cool JBW !!
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

Old Fart Swamper
    Neat stand,

I use an old fork and my bench vice then I clamp a nail and set it close to my rim..

It Ain't Purdy but it gets em close enough for government work..

mtbr member
    Great patina on that truing stand. I've only built 3 wheelsets, I can't imagine building a ride ready wheel in 15 minutes. Too much 2nd guessing, checking tension with the spoke tensiometer and spinning the wheel. It's perhaps sad, but it takes me an afternoon. Perhaps it the beer. roll on!
    No fuss with the MUSS