DGC
    mtbr member

Horror in Auburn

I am not one to post messages about someone's death. Being this is the holiday season with Christmas just under 2 weeks away, I would like to convey a message after today's ordeal.
    Today, I went to Auburn (CA) to ride as I do a handfull of times during the winter months. As I was putting the helmet on and getting ready to pedal off, there was a stir, a few Auburn State park vehicles blocking the highly popular route to climb up and get to other trails above. I first thought it was a mountain lion sighting or something like that. Then when I went up to the ranger and asked what was up, he said the trail is closed .....someone had just jumped off the bridge above and commited suicide.
    So riding other directions was no problem, riding at all was a problem. I am so glad i was late getting out of the house this morning, having just missed seeing the person jump by some 10 minutes or so, I was quite shaken up, but not as much as the people who did see this person jump and were horrified at what they had just witnessed.
    I did ride as others were out there too but I could not ride an inch without thinking of that poor soul doing what they just did to themself and others such as family members close to them. My heart goes out to the family and anyone who was near this person.

My message:
    Obviously being Christmas time and winter season there is an increase in suicides etc., please everyone watch for the signs in others around you everyday, pay attention to others a bit more, and watch their manorisms etc., help someone save their own life if the signs present themself.

If anyone is offended by this post, I am truely sorry-my sincere appologies.

But....... we are a community here on MTBR and I felt something good can come out of a situation like this and hopefully save someone else from doing the same. A good time to bring up my point.......You never know when its your time to check out permanently, weather self inflicted or not. Be thankful for what we have........everyday before you leave in the morning is a good day to give a hug and a kiss to those very close to you, let them know how important they are to you.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Quote Originally Posted by DGC
    My message:
    Obviously being Christmas time and winter season there is an increase in suicides etc., please everyone watch for the signs in others around you everyday, pay attention to others a bit more, and watch their manorisms etc., help someone save their own life if the signs present themself.
    I'm kindof surprised this doesn't happen more, it's a prime spot for it. It's a terrible thing for a person to become so distraught that they feel suicide is the solution.

Such a beautiful place.

ride hard take risks
    Amen, hate to hear about stuff like that. Being a motorcyclist also we lose alot of our own every day. I have a 15 year old son diagnosed as bipolar so that is something we have to look out for regularly. As you said we need to look out for one another & put a hand, ear whatever out to help when asked or see something not right.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by 0gre
    I'm kindof surprised this doesn't happen more, it's a prime spot for it.
    Actually it does. Just a month or so ago a wife , husband , and their dog took a flying leap. Not sure why they took the dog or if it went willingly.

Having a nice day!
    I just had a neighbor commit suicide this past week. Funeral is today. While not a close friend, he was still a friend and someone I enjoyed talking with when our paths crossed. He also suffered from depression I learned, although outwardly you would never have known. Had been for years. He had just recently been released from a clinic to treat it. Told his wife he was going to get some gifts for the family and never returned. His body was found a couple of days later.

I am not good with death, probably like many others. The finality of it all kind of haunts me. In this case, the fact that the deceased is my age, with a wife and children, and with so much to live for just makes it that much sadder. While I feel no guilt over this, I do feel remorse for not inviting him to go on a ride with me sometime, something he had expressed interest in, or for just calling him to go play some tennis or something. I now wish I had.

you know your crazy right

sad

That is a really sad story. At this point in my life I can't imagin things getting that bad...but say 5-8 years ago it was a thought that did cross my mind....due to far to much of the drinking...thanks goodness for biking...I never would have gone through it simply because I knew how it would effect my mother.But now my life is soo good and I wonder if things would have turned around for other people if they had just waited it out....It is so hard to say. Well I feel for the families that may loose loved ones at this time of year. My prayers are with them...Kona
    Boobs to the tube.......

Lawyer Time! No Comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneStar
    He also suffered from depression I learned, although outwardly you would never have known. Had been for years. He had just recently been released from a clinic to treat it.
    This is fairly typical. When you have depression, and you've had it your whole life, you tend o get good at masking it. It's no fun being a pity case. I'd bet there are more than a few of us here who suffer from it, and probably ost of us would admit that suicide is usually not that far out of mind ever. There's a very appealing sense of relief that outweighs any sentimental tendencies to the viciousness of this life. Everyday, it's a decision that's weighed, but after a while of it being on the front burner, it's just sort of there as a safety option. If things get too bad, simply stop. It's a feeling of comfort to know you aren't completely strapped to this insane roller coaster, and you actually have some control over how much bs you're going to endure. It's entirely understandable that when someone has had enough, and they're finished with it, then they know when it's a good time to bow out. Our biological instincts toward survival at any cost are strong, but are also just as easily seen as base, primitive, and something to be overcome. It's never fun when you lose someone, but that is a problem of us, the living, and our inability to face the fact we don't live forever. Do we make someone else suffer for our own conenience & peace of mind? We do, but should we?
    Nothing left to lose, & half mad.

Having a nice day!
    Interesting. I honestly can't say I can remember ever even thinking about it as an option. One of pluses I guess of being a 'glass is half full' kind of guy.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Sounds like the end of another distraught soul

At least the person did it in a nice place. No, I'm being goofy. Maybe one of these days we will look at our American Dream message and begin to allow people to live lives that are alternative to the norm and not pound them for being different. I blame society at some level for such tragidy. Think about it.

Jaybo