Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Upset Honking : I don't get it.

I'm riding at night mostly. Front light, back light (smal leds) 3M reflective on bike and helmet. Some scotch bright on my cloth and shoe cover so I'm not invisible. I see you you see me. I respect stop signs and red lights when car are around.

But still, some people feel like honking at me, but get this : As they cross me on the OTHER side. So I get honked at by incoming traffic !!??!!

Happened at least once by ride this week. On long, straight stretches of roads. WTF ?

Now honk at me if I'm riding mid day on the center lane ... but at 10 pm, by incoming traffic nontheless ... ? Why the hate ? What kind of sad life you're living here if for no reasons at all, you honk at this poor soul who really is minding his own business, getting a work out at the only time of the day he can ? . Do you get entertained by this ? Me wants to understand.

I so feel like stopping, turning back and give em the finger. Gee I would not mind having a word with these idiots. Honk at me : explain yourself you fat ****!

mtbr member
    Maybe the way your light is adjusted makes it shines in their eyes.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Honking : I don't get it.

It depends on the driver. There seem to be two types, those that honk because they think you shouldn't be there and those that are good intentioned and are trying to let you know that they are there. The second group doesn't realize that that honk scares the crap out of the rider.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Usually it is an overly cautious driver imo. They just want to make sure you know they are there and that you don't randomly swerve into them, thus ruining their night.

mtbr member
    I get this a lot. I always think the honk is the prelude to getting run over.
    I like to ride bikes.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    This? How bright is your front light? I would check that out first.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    But still, some people feel like honking at me, but get this : As they cross me on the OTHER side. So I get honked at by incoming traffic !!??!!
    There are nuances to car honks. A light tap or two might mean "hey I see you.." or maybe he's also a biker saying "nice bike dude I wish I was biking too".

If your light was too bright for oncoming traffic, they might have flashed their headlights and then honked if you did not comply. If they leaned on the horn, you probably pointed your bike towards their lane and he got pissed. Otherwise he just probably hates bikers.

One time this guy was behind me and he was leaning on his horn... twice when he can see I was really hauling ass already. He eventually overtook me but I caught up with him at the stoplight. I'm pretty sure he won't be rude to bikers anymore.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I'm still unsure what the honk means...or the significance of the thrown beer can.

b a n n e d
    I'd much rather get honked at than run over . . . at least you know they see you.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I seldom ride on the roads in Louisiana because people here at best don't know how to handle cyclists and at worst are openly hostile. Plus we still have a culture of drunk driving (drive through daiquiris I-kid-you-not) and you're not that safe even at noon.

mtbr member
    I would also think it is the front light, especially if it's in blinking battery saving mode. It is meant as an eye catcher, but it can be a distraction to some. Also, look at the way that a car's headlights are pointed, away from the middle of the road towards the shoulder and down. I would suggest mounting the light on the left side of your h bar, pointing down and away from oncoming drivers at a spot 15 feet in front of you.
    Also, nothing wrong with being in the center lane as long as you are making a left turn, but don't hang out there.
    Having said that, some people see cyclists as an additional obstacle in the road that should be removed to the sidewalk. I dislike those people very much. Once I got honked at by a woman, mid afternoon, while I was in the bike lane on the side of the road and biking with traffic. I did stop and ask her and her son, a burly boy in his late teens, and proceeded to get a tongue lashing from the woman who believed I was a raving lunatic out to corrupt or harm her boy instead of a curious biker inquiring what I had done to deserve the horn treatment. I will not be doing that again.
    So stay safe at night, avoid confrontation where possible, and always smile as you pass cars stuck in rush hour, just don't let them see you do it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Once when I was riding through downtown Shreveport I got the angry, long honk from a guy behind me and a shouted curse. In response I slowed down, stayed in front of him, and wouldn't let him pass for a couple of blocks.

He was really pissed but what could he do except run me over or shoot me? Every time he slowed down, presumably to get his lard ass out of the truck to kick my ass I just sped up a little. Eventually I went the wrong way down a one way street to separate from him and he started following me before he realized what he was doing and backed up.

Is it worth the hassle to do this kind of thing? Not really but what the hell.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by p08757 View Post
    I have lights that I use for riding on the trails. One is rated at 1000 lumen on high, the other at 1600 lumen on high. These two lights are just as bright, if not brighter than my cars headlights. Aim them level on your handlebars and the light will be shining perfectly in the eyes of oncoming drivers eyes in most cars.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member

Better safe, your smaller & not protected just ignore them... Honk-wise... Don't go bonkers...

I even bought a rear LED with built-in Laser lines in red showing Guidance Lines for cars. Add it to your safety collection. After two stupid drivers hit me I take plenty of precautions

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=irALo...%3DirALoVjfxEQ

It's available in eBay ....

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Easy solution, get off the road! You'll very rarely come across oncoming cars on singletrack.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

I kid you not, I attended a defensive driving course and the instructor advised the class to honk when passing a cyclist to let them know you were there. I piped up and asked them not to, because as a cyclist, I can say that a sudden honk is frightening and can cause a cyclist to swerve into traffic.

I dunno about you guys but I usually hear even well maintained cars approaching from behind before they pass.

IME, if the light is aimed wrong or too bright, people will flash their brights at you.

Dirty nerotic bike whore
    90 percent of the time its someone letting you know there coming. since we are on a road and all and would totally never expect cars to be there to.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I kid you not, I attended a defensive driving course and the instructor advised the class to honk when passing a cyclist to let them know you were there. I piped up and asked them not to, because as a cyclist, I can say that a sudden honk is frightening and can cause a cyclist to swerve into traffic.

I dunno about you guys but I usually hear even well maintained cars approaching from behind before they pass.

IME, if the light is aimed wrong or too bright, people will flash their brights at you.
    That is hilarious. Can you imagine the racket every Saturday, all morning in the summer as the road bike clubs get into full swing?
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post

You get frightened when a car honks at you from behind? It's more dangerous for a car to sneak up behind a cyclist who's probably thinking he has the road all to himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Gundam168 View Post
    You get frightened when a car honks at you from behind? It's more dangerous for a car to sneak up behind a cyclist who's probably thinking he has the road all to himself.
    Is it impossible for you to not be an a$$hole? Many of your recent posts here definitely suggest that.

mnoutain bkie rdier

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by p08757 View Post
    Its a small White led. This one :
    MEC Turbo Turtle White LED Front Light - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

That could not possibly blinding incoming motorist!? IMO anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Phiu-x View Post
    Its a small White led. This one :
    MEC Turbo Turtle White LED Front Light - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

That could not possibly blinding incoming motorist!? IMO anyway.
    highly doubtful. I ride with a LOT more lumens than that, and properly aimed, it's not a problem for motorists. my rear blinkie is brighter than that, even. they are most likely honking because they think they are doing you a favor by announcing their presence. they probably have no concept of how loud their horn is for someone on a bicycle so nearby when they honk it. it's unfortunate that it is usually impossible to have any kind of discussion with drivers like that about how there is no need for them to honk when passing, especially if they're giving plenty of room as it is, since they're trying to be considerate at least (albeit in a misguided way). you can gesture or yell whatever monosyllabic phrase you want, but it isn't going to convey the information it needs to.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Get a high power laser
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast