Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    PS: camping beta:

North of Las Vegas, Valley of Fire State Park (if pricey) has otherworldly rock forms everywhere, and petroglyphs. And showers in the main CG.

Scott Mtn CG near Mink Creek Rec Area before Pocatello has nice sites for ten bucks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mhopton View Post
    Wow....looks awesome. I thought our mis-adventures in North GA were fun on the tandem.... Would you mind sharing your bag setup?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Hey, it's bull mountain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hey Mike, nice meeting you two in Missoula. Planning to follow along with your ride!
    Surly Pugsley, Salsa El Mariachi, Salsa Vaya

Part time bag/pogie maker:
    http://wanderlust-gear.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hey, Paul! Thanks for the tour--and for the Draught Works suggestion!

Gotta give props to a couple of cycling-centric entities:

Adventure Cycling Association
    The Great Divide route as we know it would not exist without them. Talk about bike passion! We were treated to a tour of the ACA facilities by our friend Paul. It was great to meet some o the many dedicated cyclists who make ACA what it is. Their headquarters is a beautifully crafted former church that is now a decked out, multi-floor workspace, chock full of interesting bikes and memorabilia. If you're anywhere near Missoula, put their HQ on your radar. If we hadn't stopped in, we might not have learned about...

Whitefish Bike Retreat
    Cricket and Emma totally solved all our final logistic issues. We dumped our rental truck in Kalispell in the face of a two-day storm with an initial dead end for Roosville shuttles. Then came Cricket! She picked us up in Kal, took us to the retreat, is lodging us until tomorrow, then taking us to Roosville. See, Cricket has ridden the Divide numerous times, so she knows cyclists' needs. And the grounds? Blown away. Every comfort, convenience and aesthetic detail has been considered. The place is buffed to the hilt, with just a splash of rustic. It's a Converted farm property with tent sites, bunks and rooms, with a fantastic common room and network of buff trails which connects to the Whitefish trail system. Traveling cyclist's dream! Bummed we can't soak up more of this incredible place. If you're anywhere near this area on bike, with bike, or wanting to rent a bike and ride/see some unbelievable ST, get in touch with Emma and Cricket. You're gonna love the bike decor! Google them and learn more.

Next post should be from the trail. Tomorrow's weather looks all-time! Wooot!!!

Happy trails wherever you are,

Mike and Moria

'Tis but a scratch
    I'm riveted (and jealous). I wish you both all the luck! I look forward to following the adventure. Thanks for sharing the lead-up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Living your dreams!

This is totally awesome! I would love to undertake something like what you are doing. But so far my wife is not ready for this yet. We do have a tandem MTB, but I have yet to entice her to go for a ride with me. Then again we are currently on a tour of sorts ourselves, albeit not by bike. We are officially nomads at the moment, but I wanted to make sure we bring our bikes. Missoula is on our ever changing list of places to go, eventually. Unfortunately we will not be intersecting with the continental divide any time soon, because I would have loved to meet up and check out your setup and share some stories.

You can check out our adventure here: Family in Tow | Education-on-the-go. This is a true story. Of a family of three. Who decided to live free. Follow us on our adventure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Honey, wanna go on a bike ride?

Huffster, this report is dedicated to you. There is no envy, only fuel for your next adventure, brother. Power to ya and thanks for the good words!

We have been having a spectacular time getting our butts kicked. We saw this coming...not enough (read: no) training, marginal shakedowns and paying the prize for sea legs.

Day 1 took us from Rooseville to Grave Creek CG, an easy 25 mile spin on pavement (that felt tough after virtually no riding for a month prior). Stellar creekside camping.

Day 2 over Whitefish pass was an eye opener. A dozen or more avalanches, some hundreds of yards wide, were quite taxing. Logs, tree branches, slippery snow left us with only enough gas for a 20-mi day. We stayed at Tuchuck CG and met up with a 73-yr-old gent named Chuck who is doing the Divide solo. What a spirit! And a real gentleman.

Day 3 was a glorious run down from the pass and along the N Fork of the Flathead. We diverted from the Red Meadow Lake Pass, as we'd heard 3 miles was unridable die to snow/avy. Made it to River CG with 40 mi behind us.

Day 4 We backtracked a bit to Whitefish for some expert advice on my front hub which was emitting some odd sounds and feeling drag-y. Great Northern Cyclery saved the day! Open Sunday! Thanks to Willy and Stella who sprang to action while we ate Huckleberry ice cream. Thankfully no major issues but still glad we took the 16 mi detour. We bailed WF in afternoon warmth for points southeast and ended up at Tom and Pat's place. You wanna talk passion? We just toured the shop with many bikes/frames hand built by Tom. They love having riders come by and love taking care of us. Spaghetti with pheasant tomato sauce, cold drinks, great conversation about everything from bikes to native trees...ho, man, we almost blew right by. Big mistake, that'd have been!

I'll try not to be so tight with the photos; we took a few but the upload speed is not enough here (they have wifi, but we were so grateful for all that they did...couldn't bear to ask for the PW! It's 10pm, so better bed down. Which feels bizarre, since it's still light out!

Happy summer solstice to all. Somebody go rip some singletrack for us, eh?! Later!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Richman, looking forward to checking u guys out! Go for what ya can, within Happy Wife/Happy Life protocols : ) Thanks for checking in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Day 5
    Headed down a flat river valley, then veered away on a 2k' climb through amazing forests. The wildlife highlights have been many; a pair of bald eagles, a fisher cat, a fox (who dropped his squirrel lunch in the road in his effort to evade us), lots of deer, elk calves.

We ended up off the route slightly at Cedar CG, a wet, primitive spot next to Fatty Creek. Got just under 60 miles, and didn't feel too spent.

Day 6's tour of the Swan River Valley continued to a diversion to Holland Lake, where is, conveniently, CGs and a resort restaurant. Rub shoulders with the resorties then dirtbag it after dinner. The skeets have finally gotten thick the last couple days, head nets and all.

Day 7 We got a late start today waiting for some laundry to dry, but honestly planned a short day into Seely Lake. Just inhaled some awesome grill food and need to supply up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Honey, wanna go on a bike ride?-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Yea...stand on your head and enjoy

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hey, peoples!

Quick updates from Lincoln MT.

Stormy weather has slowed us a bit, soft road surface and waiting out squalls.

Days 8/9 took us along the Swan Mtns initially, just south of Grizzly Basin. Mind blowing beauty everywhere. We skipped Huckleberry Pass and detoured around. The road riding is mostly a nice diversion from the forested roads; the views open up and position becomes apparent.

I was hoping to spot a Griz before leaving the area, but no dice by now and diminishing chance. We got the most amazing consolation, however... Rolling into one of a million dips on a forested dirt road past Cottonwood Lakes heading to Ovando, we spooked an adult mountain lion off the road as we rolled into the dip. My bear bell was not ringing loudly due to the soft road surface, so we got pretty close to him coasting at 10-15mph. The tail and muscular hindquarters were obvious as he quicky slinked into the growth roadside. I took a second look and saw his entire side, a big healthy cat. Then I saw in the growth next to him was another lion lying motionless with eyes on us. I got direct eye contact from that lion as we passed within 20 feet, it lowered its head and ears. There was nothing to do except keep pedaling. Wifers took another look back and saw the crouched lion pop it's head up watching as we rode off. It was a spectacular and scary moment, one I'll never forget. I think the cats were in more a defensive mode as we passed, thinking wtf izzat? but the sheer presence of carnivorous power left us stunned.

A short distance later a golden eagle swooped into the road going our direction. The next morning, we spotted a bald eagle nesting in a power substation, atop a pole that was hacked off an a perch added. No doubt there were chicks under the vocal parent...shortly later we rode by again to see her landing home with a fish in talon.

Okay, the burger, pizza and beer are gone. We gonna ride under some ominous clouds into the forest and bivy. Be well and ride like there's no tomorrow. Actually, ther isn't. Go get it!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    You were very lucky to see a mountain lion. I've never seen one
    in the wild and I hope to some day.

mtbr member
    This is an awesome thing! Good luck in your adventure and keep the updates coming! I watched the Ride The Divide documentary recently and it is an epic undertaking.
    2013 Trek Marlin 29er stock (blue)
    2010 Giant TCX 2 Cross stock

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Love what you two are doing. Thanks for the updates and can't wait to hear more!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Where is the bulldozer?

It sounds like you are having a great ride! Those powerful animals can be intimidating.

i love that picture where you are "pulling" the trailer. But where is the bulldozer?

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Howdy from Basin, Montana!

John, many spend a life in the outdoors and never spot one. Super elusive animals. I'm lucky that I had three sightings before this recent one. Two of those were on MTB, one driving. I wouldn't want another encounter as dramatic as that last one, given the option. Best to you!

Pearldrumdood: Thank you for the good wishes! The movie we liked a lot. What we are doing is pretty different from those riders. Props to the divide racers. They suffered hard this year. I reckon they're already in NM (!!)

Jovian: thanks very much for the stoke!

Richman: hehe, the D-horse feels like quite the big rig. It hurt having to dismount for some chunky DH trailage that we would otherwise eat up. : )

In the last two days we've ridden 90 miles of the most mind-aleringly gorgeous country I could imagine. I fear I've been forever changed. But, fear? Poor word choice.

We saw three young bull moose traversing the road some miles up trail from here in town. Couple miles later, large, gray mammal I guess to be a wolf stood in an open field. He hauled ass outa there once he realized we were watching.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

So ends another day.

So far we have detoured around a few sections of the official route, skipping Red Meadow Lake, Richmond Peak and Huckleberry Pass. We did find the passes on better shape down here; the first three continental divide crossings (we did yesterday) were clear. It's all great riding to us, in an amazing place we are lucky to spend time in.

Have to say hello to Rob, Ann and Rose (and your sweet doggies): Great to meet you at Moose Creek. You had to have some idea that that cold beer and bratwurst would be the stuff of dreams for me/us. Thanks for your kindness! Great to meet you! Stay psyched on big plans and enjoy your life travel and events.

Cheers to all ya dirt lovers. Love that stuff! We're gonna find a patch and roll around. Cheers!!

mtbr member
    Love this thread!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

clown question, bro
    Subscribing. This has been a great read so far!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    Are we just ignoring balls? Lol

mtbr member
    How is it going compadre,sounds like you are having a blast, keep it up with the updates, they are very cool. Kids missed on you on their B-day party. they requested you were invited but I told them you are on a journey....cheers to both of you

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Zeppy, thanks for helping us celebrate this ridiculousness!

Vino, so sorry we missed it! Say hi to the crew from (still) Montana! Hope you are getting some dawn patrol rides in, bro. Miss you all!

We just hit Dell MT after an amazing foray through scenic byways, both paved and unpaved, through some pretty remote BLM and FS land. The open spaces, scale and visibility are otherworldly. Huge open valleys and snow laced peaks, sagebrush, creeks, endless skies. No cars anywhere out there in the Medicine Lodge area. Just pedaling up the road watching massive thunderheads detour around us. We saw pronghorn antelope lounging in a field, so we did the same. Later I saw something big walk into the trees at a creek. Stopped to gawk and out walked a bull moose a few steps toward us with that Oh Yea? look, so we pedaled ahead a few yards before getting a pic.

We will be sad to leave Montana. It's been a monumental Experience. The people are extremely nice and attitudes toward cyclists are commensurate. A small snippet of Idaho coming up before we bisect WY.

Wishing all riders a ripping good 4th of July, with lots of adrenaline, endorphins, and basking in the glory! Cheers from me and the Weasel!!

Don't worry, be happy!
    Now you guys just need to see wolves.
    Amazing tale!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hey, formica, howdy from Idaho and the Squirrel Creek Lodge Cafe. I think it's pretty likely we saw one wolf standing in a field. It was German shepherd size and mostly white/light. When he saw us he bolted hundreds of yards to the forest. I've seen many coyotes, and this behavior wasn't much like any I've seen. And the look was of course not typical of the bigger yotes I've seen. FWIW.

We saw a fifth moose in Red Rock Reservoir area. Many marmots. Bike-stopping bald
    Eagle sightings. A few too many skeets...

We're on our 17th day, and have not succumbed to any motels or rest days yet. I'd say our daily mileage average is above what we'd hoped, and everything feels pretty dialed in.
    The profile of the Tetons is pulling us southeastward, and conditions are great for riding. We are thankful every day for the incredible country we see, diverse with interesting people with a story to tell. Food is here, so gotta grind! Cheers, all.

mtbr member
    Getting good pics?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast