mtbr member

Homage to the beater bicycle

Homage to the beater bicycle...post your pic and story-fuel.jpg

I thought it would be fitting to honor the bicycles of old! You know, those old, sad looking steeds that ten years ago (or older) were the top of the line in the mountain bike world that now now sit on the side lines in your garage as you pedal your newest, latest and greatest. These bikes have become the "spare", or the ones you let your friends ride when they come over. The bikes that you ride downtown because you can live with the idea they might get stolen. These are the bikes that you've ridden a little tipsy, wrecked a few too many times and have swapped out all the light cool parts in exchange for those lame factory parts that came on your newer rides.
    My beater is an old 2003 Trek Fuel 100. It has logged thousands of trail hours and even more miles. Right now I use it mainly in the winter time as my training bicycle since a wreck last year left a bulge in the carbon. I couldn't sell this bike even if it was worth something!!
    Last edited by Speed Goat; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I cannot post a picture, but I just rebuilt my '82 Moto Grand Touring Bike. There is one identical to my bike on a back road that I ride on. It took me a year to figure out that it is the same as mine. They are using it to hold up their mailbox.

So I guess that my response is that I will not abandon anything. I even feel bad that I stripped a junk Mongoose to convert my Moto to dial shifters.

mtbr member

To the Beaters!

84 Stumpy Sport.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Homage to the beater bicycle...post your pic and story-orangebike.jpg  

"It's not that bicycling is so important, it is that everything else is equally unimportant."-Bruce Ohlson.

Retro on Steroids
    Transition Klunker.

Needed an upgrade in a few places right out of the box. I had to shorten the chain and throw away the saddle, but it's tough, simple, there is nothing to rattle or get removed while it's chained up, and no one will cut the lock for this one.

Unlike a "cruiser" frame, this is made of actual steel tubing, so it has a modicum of performance. Even if I destroyed it like I did so many of my "klunkers," it wouldn't be the same as destroying a 1936 Schwinn.

Homage to the beater bicycle...post your pic and story-klunker.jpg
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

Just Ride !
    I still ride my "beater" !!

2003 S-Works Enduro

Every time i walk into the LBS and see the price tags on new bikes it makes me enjoy and appreciate my Ol' ride even more.

mtbr member

Homeage to the beater bicycle

I purchased this Trek 7000 new in 1996.....My first "real" mountain bike. After over 4,000 miles (lots of great rides) and conversion to single speed after the 7 speed parts became hard to find, it's now relegated to occasional rides around the neighborhood, running the dogs, etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Homage to the beater bicycle...post your pic and story-image.jpg  

CS2
    mtbr member
    There are some pretty nice beaters here. Makes me ashamed to post my nice bike.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member

2001 Independent Fabrication

Custom 2001 IF Steel Deluxe. A present to myself for not getting killed in the WTC on 9/11.
    Homage to the beater bicycle...post your pic and story-img_1044.jpg
    I'm no dead yet and neither is the bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Classic Beater

Name:  beater.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  58.7 KBI still ride this old thing a few times a year 93/94 Cannondale M500 from a rental fleet in Nantucket. She is almost completely stock except for the seat and the left crank arm which does not match. It's fun to buzz peoples tires on a group ride with a 20+ year old bike, especially the dudes riding big squishy $5k bikes. The Pepperoni fork is kind of scary, just as they were when they first came out. This is still a fun ride dispite it's poor braking ability. Braking is way over rated anyways.

Old Fart Swamper

Cool-blue Rhythm

Yeah,, never let people see you braking, That just says your a wuss.. :P
    Scott Spark 760
    I no longer clip In,
    got a better seat, and a dropper post.
    Other than It's Bone stock.
    It Just works :P

mtbr member
    Homage to the beater bicycle...post your pic and story-fleet.jpg
    pick one

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post
    Transition Klunker.

Needed an upgrade in a few places right out of the box. I had to shorten the chain and throw away the saddle, but it's tough, simple, there is nothing to rattle or get removed while it's chained up, and no one will cut the lock for this one.

Unlike a "cruiser" frame, this is made of actual steel tubing, so it has a modicum of performance. Even if I destroyed it like I did so many of my "klunkers," it wouldn't be the same as destroying a 1936 Schwinn.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	klunker.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	943680
    I've been reading "Fat-TireFlyer". An awesome book so far.
    I would recommend it to anyone interested in Mountain Biking.
    My Spidey Senses tells me you've been there, done that.

Retro on Steroids
    Quote Originally Posted by whitecoyote View Post
    I've been reading "Fat-TireFlyer". An awesome book so far.

I would recommend it to anyone interested in Mountain Biking.
    I have to acknowledge the incredible job VeloPress did with my words and images. The printing job, the layout and artwork were better than I could have hoped for. Then they have the audacity to sell this five pound tome for the price of a Stephen King paperback.
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.