Thread: Hitch for rack?

mtbr member

New question here. Hitch for rack?

I need to have a hitch put on my Pathfinder for a rack. Nissan charges a couple hundred $$ - I figure that's so I can tow a boat or something. Anyone know where I can get something lighter duty and cheaper for a bike rack?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCAMBA Prez
    I need to have a hitch put on my Pathfinder for a rack. Nissan charges a couple hundred $$ - I figure that's so I can tow a boat or something. Anyone know where I can get something lighter duty and cheaper for a bike rack?
    Lot's of aftermarket hitches out there.

You'll want a class III / 2" receiver set up. Search for "Hidden Hitch" or "2" receiver hitch" and most sites / catalogs have a vehicle finder interface. Most all hitch set-ups can be a DIY project.... bolted mine to my 2000 cherokee and did the wiring in about 2 hours. Got the hitch and all the hdwe. I needed from etrailer.com, but there are lot's of dealers out there.

DO NOT let U-Haul install a hitch for you, BTW, as they typically are BUTCHERS. I had an old grand wagoneer that they had installed a hitch on before I got it, and they had cut the FRAME and the exhaust pipe brcket to fit the dang hitch in place!

Lastly, look into all the different aspects of hauling a trailer. Check the owners manual for rear differential fluid change, as it usually requires a heavier wt. oil, and usually recommends synthetic at that.

If you've got an auto. trans, look into a HD trans. fluid cooler. With a Manual tranny, clutch wear is accelerated, so if you are in need of a clutch soon, get an aftermarket performance/HD unit....

Lastly, with trailers, make sure everything else in your truck is in good shape, like brakes and suspension.

As for bike rack add-ons, 2" receiver is more stable than the litle 1 1/4" style.
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    You can pick up an aftermarket 1 1/4" hitch for about $100 and install it yourself. That would probably be fine if you just want to carry a couple bikes. A 2" hitch is only about $50 more. I find my hitch incredibly useful for hauling all kinds of things since trailers are so inexpensive to rent.

ali'i hua
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bob
    You can pick up an aftermarket 1 1/4" hitch for about $100 and install it yourself. That would probably be fine if you just want to carry a couple bikes. A 2" hitch is only about $50 more. I find my hitch incredibly useful for hauling all kinds of things since trailers are so inexpensive to rent.
    the entry lever offerings from thule and yakima are about 150 bucks.

Mtb Bum
    JC Whitney had some for around $100. Go with the two inch hitch. If you want to haul more than one or two bikes at some point, the two inch hitch will allow more flexibility.

contains quinine
    my reciever hitch was installed by a local welder. pretty darned cheap. i found him searching this old thing called "the yellow pages."
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.