mtbr member

High time to get going on GITA (x-post)

Well, the locals have started tossing around GITA 04 ideas / dates and I figured it's easy for us in the 'hood to make it, but thought it might be helpful to see just who may want to come from afar, and when. For those who aren't familiar with "GITA" (gaspin' in the aspens MTBR gathering) and summer riding in NM, there are lot's of high alpine trails to be had, many with flowing creeks and views that'll knock yer socks off. Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Los Alamos, Taos and Angle Fire are where rides have been..... varied and awesome terrain with few or no other trail users to contend with at most places, and when encountered hikers are typically pretty cool. We ain't no california!

Here's the NM thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...736#post131736
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by glenzx; 04-14-2004 at 01:13 PM.
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

rohloff rich
    Does this mean you're volunteering to organize it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rs3o
    Does this mean you're volunteering to organize it?
    Umm, errr, not quite, but can/will help......

If it coincides with the week/weekend of the Los Alamos Fat Tire festival, I can help organize to a significant degree..... most of the rest of the summer is full-up already though!
    Last edited by glenzx; 04-14-2004 at 01:20 PM.
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

I ride with tools

June too soon?

Like Glenn said, June ain't too soon for us locals, but it's kinda short notice for any Passionites who will be travelling. Late June might work, tho, and it would be before temperatures get too high and before the threat of afternoon thunderstorms.

Here's my vision: Windsor trail on Friday, Los Alamos rides on Saturday, and South Boundary on Sunday. Campers could set up in Los Alamos for a central location.

ride like a girl
    Jan 2004
    well, if out of towners are flying, then june is too soon. but if people are generally driving (from AZ, CO, TX, UT) then june might be fine.

but, if it's decided that it's not, maybe us locals should just have a campout weekend in june!
    Though she be but little, she is fierce.
    William Shakespeare, MSND

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by little b
    well, if out of towners are flying, then june is too soon. but if people are generally driving (from AZ, CO, TX, UT) then june might be fine.

but, if it's decided that it's not, maybe us locals should just have a campout weekend in june!
    Not a bad idea, in fact a pretty good one!

lurker spaz

We the people ... Timing and Dates

The Iron Horse is May 29 - 31
    The Chile Challenge (Angel Fire) is June 5 & 6
    Watermelon Classic (local race at Sandia) is June 27
    The Los Alamos FTF is August 14 & 15

Those are the "big" mountain biking events in the region that I'm aware of.

Far as I know, I'm open this summer regarding possible dates.
    - Whoops! 4th of July weekend would not be good for me! -
    And I promise not to do espresso shots before leading any rides

Dr.F
    Last edited by Dr.Faustus; 04-14-2004 at 04:12 PM.

trail waggler

Alright! Just what I've been waiting for...

That was too much fun last summer. I'd love to come down 'fer another weekend(they don't still have those 'wanted' posters up at the Taos post office, do they?

I got the third week in June booked, other than that, I"M THERE!

.....Now can I get the Bullit rebuilt *burly* by then for Angelfire....

Oh, and if Tim leads any rides, he's gotta ride a DH rig that weighs, ohh, say 40#, atleast
    Last edited by daveM; 04-14-2004 at 07:45 PM.

trail waggler

Oh, almost forgot...

Gotta post the SB pic that's been my wallpaper since last summer's GITA.

ride like a girl
    Jan 2004
    oooooh! look at that beautiful skinny singletrack! can't wait until it melts!

crashes in parkinglot

Turning leaves gathering as well?

I'd love to ride SB when the leaves are turning, preferably at the begining of a month in fall as my work place usually has a end of month crunch.

ride like a girl
    Jan 2004
    eric, i think if you emailed the NM crew, or posted over on the NM forum before some weekend in the fall, you would have no problem rounding up some people to ride with.

unfortunately, i won't be around here for the leaves turning.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EricTheRed
    I'd love to ride SB when the leaves are turning, preferably at the begining of a month in fall as my work place usually has a end of month crunch.
    As beth said, holler anytime you need to get an aspen-leave-turning-SBT fix..... I'd be ahppy to be "sick" on say a thursday and/or friday. You'll probably want to taget the first weekend in October for what is typically the perfect combo of leaves turning & great weather! Sounds like it'd work well with your work schedule....

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004

Don't plan around my schedule...

(as if you would) but be aware that I'll be in CB 6/15 to 7/15. We'll have our house in LA rented out and thus it won't be available for flopping/showering/etc. Any other time during the summer or Fall and I'm available to ride, host and assist.
    - Joe

lurker spaz

New question here. ...Maybe...

Maybe GITA could be a late Sept. / early Oct. event? Aim for after the monsoon season / as the leaves are turning? It would give folks from the coasts and Can-uh-Duh lots of time to plan.

The other regional fall mtb. events are:
    Sept. 18-19 Sat-Sun, Socorro Fat Tire Fiesta
    Oct. 2 Sat, Road Apple Rally, Farmington, NM
    Oct. 16-17, 24 Hours of Moab

Food for thought,
    Dr.F

rohloff rich
    That's a good idea Dr. F. Second weekend in October looks free of any major biking events. We did our last SBT ride around then last year and it was really nice.

I ride with tools

October 7 - 10 Gaspin in the Aspens!

Let's just go with these dates. The colors should be great, plus it's a 3-day weekend for the local LANL / Sandia folks (Columbus Day is the excuse). If each local (Dr. Faustus, NuMexJoe, Jim Beam, Glenzx, etc.) offers to lead or sweep one ride per day, we got it covered. Camping could happen up by the Pajarito ski hill in Los Alamos.

The last thing to decide is which day to ride South Boundary. Earlier I proposed Windsor trail on Friday, Los Alamos rides on Saturday, and SBT on Sunday. BUT, that might be trouble for folks who need to travel home on Sunday.

Other sugestions?

mtbr member

Just to stir up trouble

I've got to put a vote in for Angel Fire as one of the rides.

ride like a girl
    Jan 2004
    wow, decisiveness. not sure we can deal with that.

but, i think it's a good idea. even though i won't be around.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004

That'd work out great!

I'm also unsure what to do about those traveling on Sunday, except to suggest that we shift everything up by a day (Winsor on Thursday, etc.), or do SBT on Saturday and save the LA stuff for Sunday. I like the second idea better, although if we just shifted the dates forward, we could do Angel Fire on Sunday and folks could camp in the area overnight on Saturday if they didn't want to drive the 1.5 hours back to LA. Either way, that weekend is pretty much guaranteed to have awesome color in the mountains on each ride.

I suggest that if we settle on this date, a number of us get together and do some planning & decision-making WRT post-ride hangouts & such. That way we could get some info on lodging options, etc. up on a web page (anyone have space? I'll do the research & typing if someone else will post it).
    - Joe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe
    I'm also unsure what to do about those traveling on Sunday, except to suggest that we shift everything up by a day (Winsor on Thursday, etc.), or do SBT on Saturday and save the LA stuff for Sunday. I like the second idea better, although if we just shifted the dates forward, we could do Angel Fire on Sunday and folks could camp in the area overnight on Saturday if they didn't want to drive the 1.5 hours back to LA. Either way, that weekend is pretty much guaranteed to have awesome color in the mountains on each ride.

I suggest that if we settle on this date, a number of us get together and do some planning & decision-making WRT post-ride hangouts & such. That way we could get some info on lodging options, etc. up on a web page (anyone have space? I'll do the research & typing if someone else will post it).
    - Joe
    Sounds like a plan formulating!

How 'bout this:
    Thursday ride(s) in Santa Fe
    Friday head up to Los Alamos
    Saturday South Boundary Ride(s)
    Sunday at Angle Fire or transit for those that need to head out of town...

This works well as it consolidates the LA/SF rides at the beginning and the Taos/AF rides at the end, keeping things pretty flexible. I'll be able to take off at least Thurs. after lunch, if not the whole day to lead out a ride in SF. I can also offer carpool/shuttling for the LA ride(s) and SBT day.

And joe, I've got server space and bandwidth to spare. If you create a web page, I'll post & update it!

I ride with tools

What was it that Indiana Jones said?

"I love it when a plan comes together"

Thanks for offering to put up a page, Glenn. Shifting the rides up a day is a better idea, too. So I guess after riding Windsor on Thursday, everyone would drive up to LA to camp Thursday and Friday nights? The next question is, where would festivities take place on Saturday night after SBT?

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004

My suggestion...

would be to find a place closer to Angel Fire. Makes sense, due to the shuttling and the fact that we'd be riding there the next day anyhow. I was gonna take a look at my Carson Nat'l. Forest map tonight and see what campgrounds are available. Of course, details such as this are why I suggested all get together and confab once the dates are set.
    - Joe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beam
    "I love it when a plan comes together"
    I think that was the dude on the "A Team" with the cigar, or was it the ex-battlestar gallactica "starbuck" dude?

http://www.ateamshrine.co.uk/hannibal.php

let's get together in the next couple of weeks and put some of this down on paper.... over beer maybe?

lurker spaz

... and if we just ... I Pity the Foo!

You're thinking of Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith played by George Peppard. He was world-renowned for the pithy catch-phrase "I just love it when a plan comes together!"

lurker spaz

Idea! GITA planning meeting

How about this Saturday or Sunday afternoon/evening?
    We could do this at my house or Second St. Brewery.
    If the old GITA mail list on Yahoo is still alive ( lil'b? ) let's move the conversation there.

Just trying to get the ball rolling.
    Dr.F.

I ride with tools

Second Street wins first place!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Faustus
    How about this Saturday or Sunday afternoon/evening?
    We could do this at my house or Second St. Brewery.
    If the old GITA mail list on Yahoo is still alive ( lil'b? ) let's move the conversation there.

Just trying to get the ball rolling.
    Dr.F.
    I vote for Second Street Brewery on Sunday afternoon around 4 or 5. NuMexJoe prolly won't like that, but Los Alamos has no brewery!

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004

I can probably make that

Don't like it, that's true, but I can make it, pending a check with Donna to see what else we have planned. Somebody pick a time, and I'll see you at 2nd Street. Tried to search for the Yahoo group, but only found 169 groups dedicated to discussing Hare Krishna stuff. Anyone got a list we can move this to? As an alternative, let's take it to the NM board until we get plans firmed up.
    - Joe

the cool nerd

included in planning

hi I'd like to be included in the planning e-mail list. I live and ride in Los Alamos, but I could ride other trails

Sunday at 2nd street sounds really good to me..

scott

sportsman.at.vla.com

the bomb

LOL, I work with his son!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Faustus
    You're thinking of Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith played by George Peppard. He was world-renowned for the pithy catch-phrase "I just love it when a plan comes together!"
    The marketing consultant for the company I'm working for is George Peppard's son. "Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?"

pfunk (moving to TX next year, and hoping to attend future GITA's)
    Last edited by pfunk; 05-04-2004 at 09:09 PM. Reason: spelling
    Womanhood ain't for sissies.- oldbroad

ride like a girl
    Jan 2004

I will be around sunday

amazingly, i'll be home this weekend. so, i'm in for sunday. does anyone want to do a looooong (4-6 hr) ride before the meeting on sunday?

lurker spaz

We the people ... Second St. Brewery, 5pm, Sunday 5/9

Alrighty then!

Second St. Brewery, 5pm, Sunday 5/9
    Planning, Plotting, and B.S.'ing

Mtn. Bike ride before the meeting, TBA

I'm working on an email list, will post info shortly.

For now, let's keep this conversation on the "New Mexico" forum, just to keep it all in one place.

Dr.F