Probably drunk right now

The High Deserts of Kansas City...

Who knew? A coworker told me something that I had a hard time beleiving. In fact, I pretty much told her she was full of crap. There was no way she and her husband would have a problem with desert predators making their way in to their home in Kansas City.

This morning she brought us this from her kitchen:

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    They come in with the produce this time of year. Actually it is not uncommon. Out here in Boston we have had a rash of black widow spiders in red grapes. People have brought home almost a dozen confirmed. One lady had three of them in 1 bunch. Some of the stores actually went to the trouble of selling only single grapes for a bit. Ya got to love it, you eat fruit to stay healthy and look what comes with it.......

Probably drunk right now

According to her...

Quote Originally Posted by bob24250
    They come in with the produce this time of year. Actually it is not uncommon. Out here in Boston we have had a rash of black widow spiders in red grapes. People have brought home almost a dozen confirmed. One lady had three of them in 1 bunch. Some of the stores actually went to the trouble of selling only single grapes for a bit. Ya got to love it, you eat fruit to stay healthy and look what comes with it.......
    I suggested to her that perhaps the previous owners of the house kept them, they escaped and found a habitable ecosystem within the house. She indicated that she's had them for 20 years and they come in from outside her house. Her back yard is a south facing rock formation, so I suppose it's possible.

Black Widows in the fruit huh? Nice. Here kids enjoy this after school snack and mouth rot.

Ken

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I just moved from there. Saw a lot of brown recluse spiders and a rattler way deep in Shawnee Mission Park on one of the horse trails. Thought it would get too cold there for the scorpions. I know it was for me! She should call the Fish and Game Commission out there. They could identify the critter for her and give her some options or maybe eridicate them for her. I think if I were her I would be digging up that rock formation and getting rid of them.

Probably drunk right now

It's a limestone cliff....

I just moved from there. Saw a lot of brown recluse spiders and a rattler way deep in Shawnee Mission Park on one of the horse trails. Thought it would get too cold there for the scorpions. I know it was for me! She should call the Fish and Game Commission out there. They could identify the critter for her and give her some options or maybe eridicate them for her. I think if I were her I would be digging up that rock formation and getting rid of them.
    Might be hard to remove.

Plenty of Brown Recluse (worse the Black Widows, how nice) and plenty of Timber Rattlesnakes and Copperheads. I see most of the snakes on more remote trails outside the city limits.

What trails did you ride when you were here?

Ken

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I lived in OP so I rode the paved trails every day. The only dangerous thing there was the deer. For offroad I usually went up to Shawnee Mission Park. There are a couple of trails that lead out of the park and very easy to get lost back there. I only had my bike for a partial season before I moved out here.

Honestly the only thing I miss from out there is Jack Stack ribs in Martin City and the steaks from Jess & Jims.

That limestone shouldn't be a problem. Tell her to do what they do out here for the granite, 1 stick of dynamite per ton -- give or take--

Your Customer Sales Rep
    Ya got to love it, you eat fruit to stay healthy and look what comes with it.......
    Yeah ... those growers oughtta be drenching their fields with pesticide so we consumers don't have to put up with crap like killer bugs or imperfect produce. D.
    You be you. I'll be riding.