Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Slow riding mama's boy

Hey, everybody! I made it through the surgery.

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, Life threw me a curve.

I have had no internet access, so I haven't been able to get to this site. I'm at my girlfriend's house, so I'm excited about getting a chance to post.

First of all, thanks so much for all the kind and encouraging responses to my thread. It was great to get all that support and the encouragement meant so much. Even with a good attitude, there are still moments of fear that creep in and the messages of all of you helped me through that tremendously.

Turns out that the surgeon had to replace my valve, which he hoped he wouldn't have to do. I received a mechanical valve, which means that I'm on blood thinner and will be on it for the rest of my life. It doesn't mean I can't ride, it just means I have to be mindful of the risks I take. Since I'm a wussy, slow rider, that's not too much of a limitation.

What's interesting is that the valve ticks like a watch, which a couple of people alluded to in their messages. You kind of get used to it. From my point of view, I see it as a reminder that God has given me more time with my life, and I should constantly reevaluate what I'm doing with that time. It's pretty amazing. Pretty big incision, but the scar looks like it will heal up pretty well.

Healing is going okay. I'm impatient by nature, so I'm really trying to take it easy. Can't lift much for a while, can't drive for a few more weeks, etc. Don't know when I'll be able to get back on the bike, but I'm off work till the end of February. Hopefully before then I'll start walking more and gradually build my strength up.

I'm debating if I should part out my bike (29er hardtail singlespeed) and see about getting another geared full suspension bike, just to make the riding a bit easier. We'll see about that.

Until then, I'm playing guitar, reading, and watching a lot of ESPN. Thanks so much to all of you, and your thoughts and prayers made a huge difference. Hopefully I'll see you out on the trails in a few months.

And you thought I was slow before . . .

Joel

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    Joel , great news! I am sending up new prayers for a full recovery. Come up for the next May by the Bay and I'll slow ride with you. -Fred

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

Old School

So glad to see your post...

Was getting a bit worried for you Joel.

Glad to see things are on track. Peace be with you bro.
    Heal up, be safe, and ride another day my friend.

mtbr member

Hooray

Good to hear that you made it. Have a great 2006!

Rolling
    Nice to hear it went well. Heal fast.

The next question is. Did you have any long term memory loss issues from the surgery?

ride hard take risks
    Dont know you but congratz on finding the problem beffor it did took a valuable life. The New Year is almost here so you can start excersizing the new pump for more adventures. Have a awsome new year, god is looking over you.

beer thief
    Glad to hear it! You had more than a few of us (despite never having met you) concerned when you didn't post after the surgery.

Take your time getting back into it.

mtbr member

Good to hear

From a fellow pansy slowrider have a fast full recovery and get back on that bike.

Official Cooler Inspector
    I know you are going to have a great New Year! Wonderful news.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    way to go Joel--happy to hear this news and hope you get strong quickly. Will be praying for a blessed new year for you!

34N 118W

Good job! whew!

we don't know each other either, but as a fellow MTBR bro, I was checking back hoping to see some good news on your recovery. Glad to finally hear you're ok.

I'll raise a glass of bubbly in your general direction tonight!

Jeff

JJK
    AZ MTBR

Great News

Hey Joel,

Glad to hear you came thru surgery fine.. Heal up good and then you
    can ride again for the rest of your life.. I rode with you at AZSF a few yrs ago.
    I had a purple SC Superlight and you had the white SC...

Get well and Happy New Year,,

Johnny K
    Attached Images Attached Images

iheartMTNs

great news joel

your determination to get back out there and lay tracks on the trails inspires me. ditto what fred-da-trog said if you make May by the Bay, be happy to caress the cranks with ya.
    e
    "EPO can turn donkeys into horses!" function

life is a barrel o'fun
    So glad to see you posting again!

Now I can chuckle at the thought of total strangers on MTBR demanding to know your whereabouts in the other thread. He just had major surgery for cryin' out loud!

Hey, this is my first post for 2006. May you take a lickin' and keep on tickin'
    "We sat outside the dentist, tooting a horn on the guy's bike."-overheard in the Underground

Not Bad
    That's brilliant news, and the perfect start to 2006!

Happy New Year!

Freshly Fujified

Excellent news!

Lotta peeps were worried. Check your original thread and you'll see that there was a lot of concern when there was no word, and folks couldn't make contact. Glad to see you made it through surgery, and best wishes for a speedy recovery. Hope you're back out on the trails soon.

Blessings,

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Faller - Expert Class

Great to hear!!

That really is great news. Take it easy during recovery, as it will aid in the healing.

I know we all had you in our thoughts that Wednesday at 7am when you went in for surgery. I actually just thought the other day "I wonder if that dude's surgery went alright and hope he's doing great".

As with many others in here, I don't know you, but we all wish a fellow mtb'er nothing but the best, both in riding and in health.

Later!

2006 Kona Leroi

Quote Originally Posted by azonicrider188a
    well just get your asses some juicy 7s and huck down a mountain. thoose v brakes will snap like my butt

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Amazing. What technology and doctors have done to allow active people to stay in active lifestyles. But the person has to want to continue and not give up when a situation comes up. Anyway, I have been away from here for some time and still am somewhat a new poster here. Keep going, but know the limits.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    There's a group of guys that will be riding in Chapel Hill tomorrow, we'll be thinking of you. Glad that you're doing well.
    c

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Zoom
    For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, Life threw me a curve.

I have had no internet access, so I haven't been able to get to this site. I'm at my girlfriend's house, so I'm excited about getting a chance to post.

First of all, thanks so much for all the kind and encouraging responses to my thread. It was great to get all that support and the encouragement meant so much. Even with a good attitude, there are still moments of fear that creep in and the messages of all of you helped me through that tremendously.

Turns out that the surgeon had to replace my valve, which he hoped he wouldn't have to do. I received a mechanical valve, which means that I'm on blood thinner and will be on it for the rest of my life. It doesn't mean I can't ride, it just means I have to be mindful of the risks I take. Since I'm a wussy, slow rider, that's not too much of a limitation.

What's interesting is that the valve ticks like a watch, which a couple of people alluded to in their messages. You kind of get used to it. From my point of view, I see it as a reminder that God has given me more time with my life, and I should constantly reevaluate what I'm doing with that time. It's pretty amazing. Pretty big incision, but the scar looks like it will heal up pretty well.

Healing is going okay. I'm impatient by nature, so I'm really trying to take it easy. Can't lift much for a while, can't drive for a few more weeks, etc. Don't know when I'll be able to get back on the bike, but I'm off work till the end of February. Hopefully before then I'll start walking more and gradually build my strength up.

I'm debating if I should part out my bike (29er hardtail singlespeed) and see about getting another geared full suspension bike, just to make the riding a bit easier. We'll see about that.

Until then, I'm playing guitar, reading, and watching a lot of ESPN. Thanks so much to all of you, and your thoughts and prayers made a huge difference. Hopefully I'll see you out on the trails in a few months.

And you thought I was slow before . . .

Joel
    __________________________________________________ _
    Joel,
    The marvels of technology, most of all the grace of God. ANSWERED PRAYERS... as always is (are)...Happy New Year take care of your heart.
    JD

Look out!

Congratulations!

Now the hard part comes. One day at a time and before you know it you will be on the bike. Good luck and keep us posted.

Mark
    Ride the bike.

thump thump
    Joel,

I'm quite new to the forum, but followed your last thread closely as I am an open heart patient myself. Thank God for a renewed life.
    "What is truth?" - Pilate to Jesus

Formerly DMR For Life
    Looking forward to your first post op ride pics....get well i some what how fustrating it can be to be stuck inside and not be able to ride
    DMR

Zip
    Joe Dirt Status
    Sweet!

I too do not know you but I'm SO happy everything worked out well for you. As we travel through life we all are faced with difficult times where upon health issues occur. We all view your situation as our own because you just never know when it's your turn (our turn)to get ill and it's nice to know everyone is pulling for you....

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    Happy New Year!! Good to hear you're on the mend and on your way back to health and a bike.

As we Baby Boomers age, there will be ever more of us slow riders at the back of the pack, nursing our old wounds, aches and pains, and dreaming of our faster days. But, we'll still be out there lovin' every minute of it. I can't wait for your first ride post. Keep healing!

Kathy :^)
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast