mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Heres to a new me

Since buying my bike a little over a month ago, I've come to realize how much i had been missing. Ive got the same story most of you do. Wife, 3 kiddos, dance lessons, t-ball, piano lessons, date nights, 2 jobs, etc. I had become so focused on making sure i was doing the right thing by my family that i had really neglected myself. My wife encouraged me to get a mtb and ride, for me. Im glad i listened to her. I look forward to my rides every week and I'm not nearly as stressed as i was. If I'm having a bad day, it gets better the second i hit the trail. Im no pro at this, but man, when its just me out there and i actually make a decent corner at a decent speed, i feel like I've accomplished something. Or when i don't think I'm gonna quite make it up that climb and i do, I feel like rocky running the steps! I know it sounds corny but I don't care. My bike has changed me. For the better. Now my wife is wanting to get into it and as my kiddos get older, i hope they do too. Thanks for reading, and if you've been at this for awhile, i hope you still get the feelings and thrills that this new guy does.

mtbr member
    I could not be happy w/o my bike.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    You've caught the bug. Great that your wife wants to try as well. Its a great time!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yep, I know exactly what you mean. I started riding in June and wish I would have started years earlier, just can't get enough!

mtbr member
    Awesome! That's what it's all about!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The greatest thing about it is that feeling never goes away lol. Almost every time I pull up to the trail I get the chills.

CP
    Quote Originally Posted by rozell431 View Post
    and if you've been at this for awhile, i hope you still get the feelings and thrills that this new guy does.
    Yup. Happy to report that indeed the thrills keep coming (been 30 years of MTBing for me this year)...ride on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    That's awesome, OP. Society needs more happy people!

Have fun.
    2002 Giant Rincon
    2012 Diamondback Podium 3
    2013 Specialized Stumpjumper EVO 29
    2013 Giant Anthem X Advanced 2

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Great post!

Keep at it... Me, too

Joel
    2013 Trek Fuel EX 7
    IMBA Member

Custom User Title
    Times when Ive had a sucky week at work or school, come Sunday its all gone and like it never even happened. Riding is a great stress relief. There are times I dont even feel like riding but I do anyway and Im glad I did instead of staying at home playing on my computer or on here wishing I was riding.
    Slightly faster than a speeding snail.

mtbr member
    Great post OP. I hope you continue to have that feeling.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thank you all very much! When I bought my bike at my LBS, the guy who helped me told me that the MTB community is like family. I know what he meant now. I truly have been bitten by the MTB bug and I'm a better man for it! Went for a ride earlier at a local university. Did pretty good. Went OTB and ended up in a bunch of thorn vines and briars. It hurt but I didn't break anything, bike still rolls, and I'm still smilin'!! Life is good!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Same here! Started riding just under 2 months ago and can't get enough of it. I love the support from the community. Strangers on trails always acknowledge other riders. My friends help with tune ups and offer parts. I'm sold. Just wish i was in better shape but with each ride i notice improvement.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rozell431 View Post
    Since buying my bike a little over a month ago, I've come to realize how much i had been missing. Ive got the same story most of you do. Wife, 3 kiddos, dance lessons, t-ball, piano lessons, date nights, 2 jobs, etc. I had become so focused on making sure i was doing the right thing by my family that i had really neglected myself. My wife encouraged me to get a mtb and ride, for me. Im glad i listened to her. I look forward to my rides every week and I'm not nearly as stressed as i was. If I'm having a bad day, it gets better the second i hit the trail. Im no pro at this, but man, when its just me out there and i actually make a decent corner at a decent speed, i feel like I've accomplished something. Or when i don't think I'm gonna quite make it up that climb and i do, I feel like rocky running the steps! I know it sounds corny but I don't care. My bike has changed me. For the better. Now my wife is wanting to get into it and as my kiddos get older, i hope they do too. Thanks for reading, and if you've been at this for awhile, i hope you still get the feelings and thrills that this new guy does.
    Congrats and welcome! I love hearing stories just like yours. Always reminds me of how I felt when I first got back into it.
    When I'm not riding I help beginner mountain bikers learn new skills at Texas Mountain Bike Trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I feel like a kid on Christmas on nights before I know im going riding in the morning!

Interplanetary Poultry
    Just think; now whenever you get in a bad mood you can just blame it on P.M.S. (Parked Mountainbike Syndrome) and use that as an excuse to go ride.
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

mtbr member
    My bike changed me for the better as well. I can't imagine not riding now, it is so much fun. I feel better, lost weight and I'm a lot less stressed.
    2015 Specialized Fatboy Comp (On order)
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 3
    http://tincup69.blogspot.com/

pin it
    Stick with it and grow with it. Having a partner that rides is truly a great motivator and it opens up more possibilities ... my husband introduced me to mtb just a short time ago and now I'm downhilling and freeriding (in addition to trail riding on an all mountain). I'm not young but I sure feel a lot younger.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'm glad to have you here op! Bikes sure do make my life better, less stressful and way more fun. It's gotten to the point when I'm in a crap mood my wife will tell me to go ride my mtb and then come talk to her!

mtbr member
    Welcome to the club. I have been mountain biking 25 years now and the wife 17.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Good on you. Makes the work week worth while when you can get out and blow off the cobwebs at a weekend.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    You folks are great! I love the positivity! I'm a career firefighter/paramedic and the guys at my station have been thumbing through my MTB magazines and listening to me tell them about my experiences thus far! Hopefully I can talk them into giving it a try!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Even better if you and your wife can ride and progress together (kids may not allow...). My wife and I have grown kids from previous marriages, and we were lucky enough to start riding mtb's together. We get so much enjoyment out of watching each other progress. She likes air and speed more than I do, and I climb stronger and take on steeper descents - so we give each other energy to do more/better. We look forward to many years in the sport. I've been a rock climber for over 40 years, and mtb'ing has taken over...