robust, yet smooth
    Mar 2004

help! yakima changed towers? where 2 find old clips?

What HAS the world come to that when I go to move my yakima rack, lovingly purchased in the year 1995 aldo domini, that, low and behold, these new fangled "clips" do NOT infact, "clip" to my beloved "Y" towers, and I must shell out mucho mucho for "Q" towers ?!?

Please, Gentle Readers, guide this Lost Soul to a lost cache of these "clippies" that will allow me to mount my Noble Steed atop my '95 Accord.

Please excuse my cross-posting, but I seek solace in these Trying Times.

Bless you all,

-capt p

don't try this at home

Sol

Quote Originally Posted by capt pearl
    What HAS the world come to that when I go to move my yakima rack, lovingly purchased in the year 1995 aldo domini, that, low and behold, these new fangled "clips" do NOT infact, "clip" to my beloved "Y" towers, and I must shell out mucho mucho for "Q" towers ?!?

Please, Gentle Readers, guide this Lost Soul to a lost cache of these "clippies" that will allow me to mount my Noble Steed atop my '95 Accord.

Please excuse my cross-posting, but I seek solace in these Trying Times.

Bless you all,

-capt p
    unless you can find pair on ebay or the classifieds, you are sol. same thing happened to me a few years ago. I couldn't find the clips at all for my 'Y' towers so I shelled out mucho dinero for the 'Q' towers, was still 'cheaper' then getting a whole new rack.

robust, yet smooth
    Mar 2004

SOL indeed, not sure way cheeper

as the main cost is the towers. according to the site:
    Q towers - $125
    Clips - $50/pr (already purchased, but I'll gladly maker REI eat them if I can find some Y-clips!!)
    crossbar - $47.

Well, I own a crossbar and trays. So the towers are the main cost anyway. It's not that $175 is huge money, but it's money outta my bike acct. And I'm a bit ticked off at Yakima that the clips aren't backwards-compatable. Very low class on their part, IMHO.

-capt p

ah...oh yeah..i forgot
    Jan 2004

Give these guys a try

As long as you know which clip number you need, you may get lucky.

http://www.rack-it.com/store/search....string=y+clips
    "The picture leaves nothing to the imagination. But a description will be colored by the listener to be more towards what he or she wants or likes." Robert L. Hilliard

robust, yet smooth
    Mar 2004

thanks for the link

... but no prize for the capt!

Looks like I'm on the hunt for Y50 clips, and they aren't on the list(s).

Thanks again.

-capt p

t66
    mtbr member

Need towers

Not to spam, but I'm about to list an add on this sight. I'm selling a complete Yakima rack system and I have a choice of 3 different towers. They fit on existing factory racks for Suv's, Minivans and the like. Watch for the add (prob under racks or misc), or send me a PM, maybe I can save you some $$$.
    Chris