mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Hello! newbie, new to forums

Hello! I am new to this thread, but i have been reading on it for about a month. i currently don't have a mtb but i am avidly searching for a hard tail with disc brakes and a solid drive train to get me into the sport. i plan to use it off road and on road in order to get to class and exercise.

when i was younger i rode cheap wally-world mtb's and bmx for a while. so i have some experience on and off road. i have been looking for a bike to start riding for about a month and havent been able to find anything worth the money, i have been looking for new but those are all out of price range for the components, so i have been searching on CL and ebay for something used and cheap(500 is the absolute max, due to being a poor college student). offers are welcome... just PM me.

P.S. i am 6' 5" so i need a large or bigger frame size

mtbr member
    welcome.
    mountain biking is my passion. ill bike just about any were even it its off limits to bikers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Welcome to MTBR and soon to riding. In my experience once I started that was it. I'm a fanatic now. Ha.
    My first "legit" bike , about 6 years ago, was a new Giant Yukon. Bad components, heavy as hell, hard tail, but I loved it. Rode everything on the front range of Colorado. Took it to Moab. Steamboat Spgs. Etc. now it's my city bike because I upgraded my trail bike. I just passed 10k miles on that Giant. It's been a great bike, low end components and all.

For $500 u should be able to get a good starter off CL.
    GOOD LUCK. And HAVE FUN!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    thanks guys i think i found a great deal on an 07 jamis dakar xc. its for sale for 400 and the guy did very light trail riding and used it to commute back and forth to work. the only problem is its 2 and a half hours away... i calculated the gas there and back would be about 70 dollars thats pushing the budget on my bike..... what do you guys think?

Big Mac

Hello! newbie, new to forums

I think you need a new car. One with better mileage perhaps.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    nah man my bmw gets about 20 mpg. i just calculated it at about $4 per gallon. and its about 160 miles

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Trade in your beamer for a bike? lol