Drinker w/ Riding Problem

Heartbreak Ridge - Long Story-Long Ride!

Heartbreak Ridge (Black Mountain, NC) - Holy Cow! what a ride... This last Sunday was invited to come out and ride with Mountain Goat Epics and his friend David. From the start, Jeremy was like "this is a 23 mile ride with 15+ miles of climbing"
    Jamie and i have done plenty of 20+mi rides..Sure "No Prob" man if we only knew what lay ahead of us ... Holy Cow indeed ... climbin' is not one of my strengths... I've got two speeds Slow and Slower than Slow! Big Boy on a Big Bike!

First off I'd like to apologize to Jeremey and David for holding them up. You guys far exceed our abilities. we were very impressed. so the first 2/3 of the 8 hours of Jamie and my ride was nothing but climbin', climbin', climbin', climbin', climbin' to be topped with more (you guessed it) Climbin'

Holy Sh!t we started at the Kitsuma Parking Area about 2500ft elevation and and the last time i asked David the elevation 4630 and we rode another mile up some maybe another 300ft higher.

I Had a really ugly spill coming thru this log bridge when my front wheel wedged in the gap
    of the logs and sent my fatass into the road. should've taken the cheater on the left. the trail up was like an old washed-out road bed that was in some spots a good challenge especially from my tires. a sharp rock tore a nice gash into the sidewall of my tubeless
    tire...so put a tube into it and continued on up.

When Jeremy and David came back to check on us they told us we are close to Obi Wan's place..."Obi Wan?" In the middle of nowhere is a little shack with a generator running and a stream for drinking water...as I'm riding past i was going for my camera to take a picture...only to glance over and there he was, so i decided to just keep riding and wave to this old guy, and surprisingly he waved back. I was hoping for some Jedi mind trick to make this climb easier! still climbin'

Yeah Jeremy kept asking can you climb another 6 miles, "Yep", pant, pant, cough, cough! though the thoughts of bailing and turning around started flooding my brain...Just keep on truckin' finally we reached the Pinnacle.

Sweet Downhill for the next seven miles!
    OMG the best singletrack downhill...many sections where very similar to Kitsuma and some of the best Vistas we've come across.

This is where we had to part from our guides...they had planned a four hour ride and we were now into the sixth hour with 9 or 10 miles to go. Sorry guys! Jeremy was hesitant to leave us to find our way out. but with good directions we had a kickass ride, Body was hurting but i was still smilin' , looking at the pix i kinda looked stoned. Fatigue was setting in and after we made it to the road we made a right instead of a left and climbin this road got attacked by three bigass dogs luckly not bitten (not that they didn't try) and an eighth of mile later DeadEnd! "Oh Sh!T" turn around and pass them damn dogs! at least it was downhill! i was afraid that they would cross Jamie's path going for the bigger target "me". we got past em.

Found our gravel road out and it was three miles up back to the car!!!! that was the longest
    three miles i have ever done...i was hurtin, camelbak empty maybe 2 swallows of Gaterade left no food an powergels left..and diggin' through my bag
    found the motherload of all treats one of my sons KitKat bars...I needed fuel! we got back to the car and it was dark, Bigtime it was 9:00 we had started the ride at 1:00. What a Ride! hope you enjoy the Pix!
    Attached Images Attached Images

More Heatbreak!

__________________________________________________ _________________

More Heatbreak II

__________________________________________________ _____________________

Even More Heartbreak Boo hoo

__________________________________________________ _________________

HeartBreaker

hope i'm not boring you ....

Almost Done "Yeah I'm Spent"

__________________________________________________ __

Last Bunch!

Thanks Jeremy for the Great Ride! it s was great fun and sorry we held you back! we'll do better next time...I hope!

i worship Mr T
    heartbreak is my absolute favorite descent in pisgah. it doesn't get any better than that. can't wait to get out there and do it on my new FS.

rt
    [SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]*rt*'s fabulous blog[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]mm blogging[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member

Did it a few weeks ago with this

Smoke Bike..Chug-a-Lug
    Well, its one of my home-built ss frames. That is an interesting ride to say the least but for overall fun factor i like the turkey pen to ranger station ride doing s mills,mullinax,squirrel gap,s.mills,buckhorn and then black mtn..
    On another note the trail you took up from ri@#$!@#$ that is mostly hike-a-bike is not open for bikes or is very gray. It is private property belonging to the conference center and so far an issue has not developed because of light use. Please keep the route quite..... There is another way to do the ride as a semi-shuttle leaving a car at the bottom( church lot) and starting in Montreat at the Rainbow trail which is esentially the start of the toll-rd..it doesnt make it much easier..

white boy extraordinaire

I was just gauging my favorite rides and this beats all

Man o man, I do love this ride. I blew up doing this ride once, got through the climbing and didn't drink enough and started hurting on the way down, happened to me this weekend too, I'm starting to recognize a pattern. That climb hurts, ugh, but there is no better downhill, and the views,omg the views. the switchbacks, but that climb, my legs are hurting just thinking about it. I wish I could remember the route but my eyes were too full of tears most of the time. Nice pics as usual.

CMW
    "Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!"

-the Dude

Goat of Legend
    Brad,

Glad you and Jamie got enjoy the ride. I should of left a stick arrow at the pavement like I did on the trail turns but I thought ( thats what you get for me thinking) that you would know where you were by that point. At least you didn't make the wrong turn onto Jarret Creek. That would of made a long,cold night in the woods for you.
    I felt really bad for leavin you and Jamie behing on trail but I'm glad the directions and arrows worked out for ya. My wife wasn't to mad and give my gratitude to Jamie for calling her on trail.

Jeremy

F.F. MOUNTAIN BIKER

i wish i could have been there

Quote Originally Posted by brado1
    Heartbreak Ridge (Black Mountain, NC) - Holy Cow! what a ride... This last Sunday was invited to come out and ride with Mountain Goat Epics and his friend David. From the start, Jeremy was like "this is a 23 mile ride with 15+ miles of climbing"
    Jamie and i have done plenty of 20+mi rides..Sure "No Prob" man if we only knew what lay ahead of us ... Holy Cow indeed ... climbin' is not one of my strengths... I've got two speeds Slow and Slower than Slow! Big Boy on a Big Bike!

First off I'd like to apologize to Jeremey and David for holding them up. You guys far exceed our abilities. we were very impressed. so the first 2/3 of the 8 hours of Jamie and my ride was nothing but climbin', climbin', climbin', climbin', climbin' to be topped with more (you guessed it) Climbin'

Holy Sh!t we started at the Kitsuma Parking Area about 2500ft elevation and and the last time i asked David the elevation 4630 and we rode another mile up some maybe another 300ft higher.

I Had a really ugly spill coming thru this log bridge when my front wheel wedged in the gap
    of the logs and sent my fatass into the road. should've taken the cheater on the left. the trail up was like an old washed-out road bed that was in some spots a good challenge especially from my tires. a sharp rock tore a nice gash into the sidewall of my tubeless
    tire...so put a tube into it and continued on up.

When Jeremy and David came back to check on us they told us we are close to Obi Wan's place..."Obi Wan?" In the middle of nowhere is a little shack with a generator running and a stream for drinking water...as I'm riding past i was going for my camera to take a picture...only to glance over and there he was, so i decided to just keep riding and wave to this old guy, and surprisingly he waved back. I was hoping for some Jedi mind trick to make this climb easier! still climbin'

Yeah Jeremy kept asking can you climb another 6 miles, "Yep", pant, pant, cough, cough! though the thoughts of bailing and turning around started flooding my brain...Just keep on truckin' finally we reached the Pinnacle.

Sweet Downhill for the next seven miles!
    OMG the best singletrack downhill...many sections where very similar to Kitsuma and some of the best Vistas we've come across.

This is where we had to part from our guides...they had planned a four hour ride and we were now into the sixth hour with 9 or 10 miles to go. Sorry guys! Jeremy was hesitant to leave us to find our way out. but with good directions we had a kickass ride, Body was hurting but i was still smilin' , looking at the pix i kinda looked stoned. Fatigue was setting in and after we made it to the road we made a right instead of a left and climbin this road got attacked by three bigass dogs luckly not bitten (not that they didn't try) and an eighth of mile later DeadEnd! "Oh Sh!T" turn around and pass them damn dogs! at least it was downhill! i was afraid that they would cross Jamie's path going for the bigger target "me". we got past em.

Found our gravel road out and it was three miles up back to the car!!!! that was the longest
    three miles i have ever done...i was hurtin, camelbak empty maybe 2 swallows of Gaterade left no food an powergels left..and diggin' through my bag
    found the motherload of all treats one of my sons KitKat bars...I needed fuel! we got back to the car and it was dark, Bigtime it was 9:00 we had started the ride at 1:00. What a Ride! hope you enjoy the Pix!
    man i wish i could have been there. i was in maryland this weekend. did not bring the bike. lots of great pics man. i love it. hope to ride soon.

jason

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    Don't feel bad about not being able to keep up with Jeremy, he's a freakin' mountain goat afterall. Twice on SHORT mountain climbs I've passed him while he was changing a flat tire and he still repassed me before I reached the summit.

Jeremy, you need to carry marking paint so you can just spray down a safety orange arrow and keep on going

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by zod
    Jeremy, you need to carry marking paint so you can just spray down a safety orange arrow and keep on going
    Flagging tape. And a sharpie for notes. Don't leave home without them.....

Nice pics brado. I need to do that ride.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    Brad,
    At least you didn't make the wrong turn onto Jarret Creek. That would of made a long,cold night in the woods for you.
    Jeremy
    Yeah Jamie said "Man that's the last time i ride with someone named MtnGoatEpics!" jokingly.

awesome trail even at slow speed! going up.... we had a blast coming down! thanks.

mtbr member
    I believe there is something REALLY WRONG with people who actually enjoy that much climbing. Is the descent really worth the ride to the top on this particular ride? If it is, i'll have to get directions for the next time i go to pisgah.

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker1973
    I believe there is something REALLY WRONG with people who actually enjoy that much climbing. Is the descent really worth the ride to the top on this particular ride? If it is, i'll have to get directions for the next time i go to pisgah.
    I think it's excellent, but I like climbing a lot too. If you hate climbing I'd look elsewhere since you may feel a bit ripped off after the lonnnnngg climb and fast descent.

Still, it's one of the best I've done down there. So fun I did it two days in a row. Once with Jeremy and once with the rest of my crew that came down with me.

Goat of Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou
    I think it's excellent, but I like climbing a lot too. If you hate climbing I'd look elsewhere since you may feel a bit ripped off after the lonnnnngg climb and fast descent.

Still, it's one of the best I've done down there. So fun I did it two days in a row. Once with Jeremy and once with the rest of my crew that came down with me.
    Now here is the true mountain goat guys. I don't hold a candle next to Spooky climbing up any hill.

Jeremy

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker1973
    Maybe the climb is the ride, and the descent is just what you've got to put up with to do it.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    Maybe the climb is the ride, and the descent is just what you've got to put up with to do it.

That's what i'm talking about. That's just ack basswards. I always thought black mountain or pilot rock was a fun descent. Is it more fun than those? Looks faster!

Currently in Exile

Great ride pics

It is a looonnnggg climb, but the rocks are what really make it. Keep doing 8 hr rides and you will soon be a skinny man on a big bike
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

banned

You don't have to do nearly as much climbing if

you park at rainbow trailhead. If you want to know how to get up there a little quicker, PM Robert (Dr. Death), he can give you the specifics better than me. We heartbreak about 2 1/2 months ago and only had about 8-9 miles of climbing.