Fire it up...
    Feb 2004

Hayes Disc Brake Trouble. Help!!!

For those that do have Hayes Hydraulic disc brakes, or have knowledge working on them, please help me. I was riding the other day at my local trails, and all of a sudden, I had no braking power. I finished up the trail, and took it back to the place I bought and the guy had no clue on how to work on the hydraulic brakes. (The bikes were new to the store, in which he had never worked on them before. Yeah, it sucks.) So now im stuck in a rut. I have no clue on where to start. I tried to bleed the brakes like a car today, in which it was a dismal failure. I need yalls help to pull my bike back together so I can go ride. I'm going crazy not being able to.

Thanks,
    Brian
    LIVE for Today, never tomorrow.

TJ.
    MRI Magnet Quencher Fixer

Go purchase a hayes disk brake bleed kit.

[QUOTE=RedneckRider]For those that do have Hayes Hydraulic disc brakes, or have knowledge working on them, please help me. I was riding the other day at my local trails, and all of a sudden, I had no braking power. I finished up the trail, and took it back to the place I bought and the guy had no clue on how to work on the hydraulic brakes. (The bikes were new to the store, in which he had never worked on them before. Yeah, it sucks.) So now im stuck in a rut. I have no clue on where to start. I tried to bleed the brakes like a car today, in which it was a dismal failure. I need yalls help to pull my bike back together so I can go ride. I'm going crazy not being able to.

Thanks,
    Brian[/QUOTE

The kit comes with a good little instruction booklet. I have learned a few tricks outside of the instructions I.E. Piston placement prior to bleeding.

TJ
    www.gvii.net/hundtoft

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

check out their website

at http://www.hayesbrake.com for information.

the service manual is here: http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/pdf/45...lishForWeb.pdf

sounds like you have air in the lines.

you need to get a bleed kit which is nothing more than two little bottles with rubber hoses. one hose fits over the fitting on the caliper while the other hose fits into the fill hole at the master cylinder on the brake lever. all you need to do is loosen the lever and rotate it so it's perpendicular to the ground. stick one hose/bottle into the fill hole that has a TINY screw that you cannot drop if you hope to find it again. this is the overflow container.

then, at the caliper you just stick the other hose over the fitting, loosen the fitting, and start filling fluid. it's best to try and get all bubbles out of the hose before you stick it on the fitting though or else you're just filling your sytem with more air. squeeze fluid in slowly until you see it start to come out of the master cylinder. keep squeezing in until you're sure there's no more air in the system. then, without letting the overflow pull air back into the system, close the fitting on the caliper. replace the plug on the master cylinder and reposition the brake.

it works best to take the brake pads out while you're doing this so you don't risk contaminating them wiht brake fluid.

once the system is full, squeeze the lever repeatedly for a minute or more (after putting the pads back in of course) to get the system back in order. if the lever still feels spongy, repeat the process because there still may be air in the lines. if the lever feels way to stiff, you can bleed a little fluid out like a car (what you already did) but don't take too much out.

it's not that difficult a task. if you've already tried bleeding them like a car, then it sounds like you at least know your way around some basic repairs. just look through the manual and you can figure it out. I did my own brake installation and never had worked on hydraulic brakes before so it's possible.

good luck

YR

crashes in parkinglot
    Quote Originally Posted by RedneckRider
    For those that do have Hayes Hydraulic disc brakes, or have knowledge working on them, please help me. I was riding the other day at my local trails, and all of a sudden, I had no braking power. I finished up the trail, and took it back to the place I bought and the guy had no clue on how to work on the hydraulic brakes. (The bikes were new to the store, in which he had never worked on them before. Yeah, it sucks.) So now im stuck in a rut. I have no clue on where to start. I tried to bleed the brakes like a car today, in which it was a dismal failure. I need yalls help to pull my bike back together so I can go ride. I'm going crazy not being able to.

Thanks,
    Brian
    Along with what the others have posted, a Magura bleed kit or a large suringe (sp?) will be a bit easier to use than the bottles that come w/ the Hayes bleed kit. You can still do the same push and suck technique that hayes recomends or you can just fill the suringe w/ more fluid. After a couple of times of messing up and getting air in the system you'll figure it out.

Are you talking to me?

Everything above, and...

after the bleed, and the pads are in, zip tie the levers to the bars for a few hours. this will help push any air left to the master cylinder.
    gfy

Fire it up...
    Feb 2004
    My question stays though, how did I get air in my line?? Any suggestions?
    LIVE for Today, never tomorrow.