mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Having to wait..

Relatively new here and to mountain biking. Just started riding about a month ago and its literally changed my life. During long days at work I totally just look at my bike at the back of the shop waiting to be ridden right after work and it definitely almost always lifts my spirits. I road bike and cannot believe it took me so long to get a mountain bike.

I'm posting in the passion forum because in the small time I have mountain biked I have developed such a passion that it really really bummed me Sunday when my rim broke within half a mile of my first LONG-ish ride (15 miles)! So now it has to go back to the bike shop and I won't be able to pick the bike back up till this weekend if it will even be done and that has just really bummed me out.

Do any of you have similar stories where break downs or bodily injuries have put you out of service and stopped you from your passion of mountain biking?

mtbr member
    I got a flat Wednesday, but I fixed it Friday and was able to ride. At the end of that ride I got another flat...Tube keeps going out on me on the same trail - PsychoPath. It's pretty rough, so I think I'll back off that trail a little...but it's super fun! Other than that, schoolwork usually forces me to resist taking the bike to the mountain.
    "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9

Just Ride
    The weather has my passion on hold. I got a quick 3 mile ride in today. happened to be the first chance I got to ride anyway, between the weather and my second job. So the short ride was half my normal loop and it completely kicked my ass! The first ride always does. This year, I'll probably only get about 3 times a week to ride if I'm lucky. A very stark contrast to last year when I rode literally every single day from april till november! Save the occasionally rainy day.

To make matters worse, I'll be acquiring a new SS at some point in the next few weeks. Again when I get the chance to go buy the thing. It's over an hour drive. So naturally I'll want to be on that every chance I get.

Might have to tell the part time job to take a hike! Or at least schedule me off either saturday or sunday. I need my riding time! Keeps me sane.

I'll be in the same boat only worse. I'll have a brand new bike which requires a whole new way of riding, and I'll have to wait to ride it. Nevermind the fact I'll probably not develop the fitness required to thoroughly enjoy it. At least not this year.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I've for sure had riding delays. 2 years ago an Achilles rupture knocked me out for 4 months. I missed a Moab trip that spring. Last fall a knee sprain from work knocked me out for 3 weeks. Missed another Moab trip.
    Now I buy a new bike Monday and wake up to 14" of snow this morning.
    Damn!

Lord Thunderbottom
    broke some ribs last fall in prime riding weather, spring still isn't here and I have a bike on the way, waiting all around....