Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Has anyone riding a 26 experienced smug on the trail?

Has this whole 26, 27.5, 29 brought more smugness towards the 26 rider?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Frankly, unless the bike has 20" or 36" wheels, I do not even notice what the size is. I just greet my follow rider.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I purchased an SB66c a couple months ago and have received nothing but compliments.

Has anyone riding a 26 experienced smug on the trail?-img_2438.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakeshott View Post
    I purchased an SB66c a couple months ago and have received nothing but compliments.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2438.jpg 
Views:	908 
Size:	367.7 KB 
ID:	906809
    That's a beauty and good luck with it.

Co Springs

No.

But I'm not in the mix of lots of riders. Mostly just a small group or few others I know and ride with. I ride during most normal workweek hours so I don't see much traffic.

If I get any grief, I'll just tell them my moderate riding trail choices, style and lack of talent will prevent me from getting any newfangled inventions. They will believe me.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

_CJ
    mtbr member
    May 2014
    I can barely go for a ride without running into some level of condescension from riders on "modern" bikes. Comments about how my bike is "old school", or "holy crap, you rode that, on that?!?!", and asking when I'm going to "upgrade".

Funny how many of those idiots I've ridden off my wheel lately.

beater

The regular group ride I do is mostly 26" with a growing number of 650b, and I'm usually the only 29", and we just ride, so no. I do encounter a tremendous amount of butthurt on this forum, though.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    The regular group ride I do is mostly 26" with a growing number of 650b, and I'm usually the only 29", and we just ride, so no. I do encounter a tremendous amount of butthurt on this forum, though.
    This reminds me of motorcycle rides. Some folks are kinda cliquish about what others ride. I always appreciate/ed different bikes and had plenty of assortment as company. Three of us comprised a 20 yr old Nighthawk, a Harley and the third was a big cc scooter Suzuki 650 Bergman.

I feel the same way with bicycles and fellow riders .... anything that rolls is fine and if someone has to spout off about why their setup is best, or everyone has to comply with one idea of wheel size, full sus or whatever, my guess is they have low self-esteem or came from an island of misfit toys.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    I'm smug whenever I see a derailleur on someone's bike.
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.

the half breed devil
    WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?!?!

GOOD GOD!

RIDE WHAT YOU RIDE AND DON'T WORRY ABOUT WHAT ANYBODY THINKS!

sorry about the shouting but god and baby jesus help us all...when is this nonsense going to stop?

mtbr member
    We see mostly 29ers around here, I've never heard anyone give anybody crap over what they ride. It seems that people are just glad to other riders out riding, be it a Next or a FS carbon wonder. Though I would like to see how those guys on Next bikes would rip up the trials on a FS carbon wonder.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Its all about the ride and the hell with the rest.

mtbr member
    I think a lot of riders think that they are buying into something awesome, so they are stoked. They also want to spread the stoke but the problem is, they don't realize that they come off as being smug. Don't get me wrong, there are riders who are downright a55holes but for the most part, I don't think it's intended. For the record, all my bikes are 26's.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    They don't say much if you're passing them. I've had a few jokes cracked about my over decade old 26er. Laugh at them and leave them far behind on the trail.

Most of the jokes are cracked by kids with bikes mommy and daddy bought that still have reflectors... I ask them if mommy knows they're riding without their knee pads, and then leave them in the trail.

TL;DR they're much less smug when they can't keep up. Wheel size means nothing when compared to skill, fitness, and balls.

'Tis but a scratch
    As many times as I have ridden with (or encountered) other riders, the only comment that came close to a "critique" was some guy asking me why I didn't ride clip-less. This was amidst a pleasant enough conversation. I think he was prepared to promote the virtues. I explained that I do ride clip-less at times, but since it was early winter and my feet get cold, I switch to hikers and platforms. That was the end of that.

My advice is to not let it bother you. If its just 'promotion', maybe a simple comment like "Interesting. For now I'll ride what I have". If its more than promotion, and borders on ridicule, you might consider riding with nicer people. If its friendly 'ball-breaking' between buddies, then I'm sure you can find some short-coming of your pal to return the favor...nobody's perfect!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I preemptively sneer at anyone not riding a 26" wheel bike, to establish my superiority. So, I guess the answer is no.
    29er = Hybrid Bike.

Priceless TGR comments on MTBR Rep system... http://goo.gl/5ayA2F Rep away!!!

mtbr member
    No.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Frankly, unless the bike has 20" or 36" wheels, I do not even notice what the size is. I just greet my follow rider.
    Same here. When a rider passes by I never notice wheel size. If I am on a group ride I might notice wheel size, but I don't care. I ride what I can the way I can and for the most part keep up just fine. 90% of my riding speed is self imposed either by, fitness, skills, or bravery. The last 10% at best could be impacted by my bike.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Re: Has anyone riding a 26 experienced smug on the trail?

I only see wheel size being debated on the internet. If someone were to actually confront you about your wheel size choice in person you should be left to assume their douchey and they should then be avoided, usually by everyone.

Seriously how many of you are having this type of overly-sensationalized, overly-emotional debate about wheel sizes before your group ride with your friends? I know people who beat my a** on 26ers out on the trail and I don't like them not because their wheel size but because they're better than me.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Trailhead Poseur
    Around here you still see older 26ers on the trail, but anybody who's bought a new bike in the last 2-3 years will almost always be on a 29er. That said, I don't think I've gotten any comments, good or bad, regarding wheel size on the trail.

MTBers aren't like roadies in that regard. Like huffster says, any "negative" comments I've gotten on the trails have always been good-natured ribbing amongst my riding buddies. If I did hear something, I've got two standard replies: "Well, then you won't have to look at it after I drop you." or "If you'll buy me a replacement that you find acceptable I'll be happy to swap it out."
    Speed solves all problems, except for those things it makes worse.

mtbr member
    "Now choose your favorite size, and be a dick about it"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPVRU7jSYkQ

mtbr member
    That sums it up nicely!

mtbr member
    As I pass or get passed, I'm always thinkin' "Hey what's that between their legs?" Wheel size doesn't really enter into the train of thought so much. A bike is a bike, the wheels go round and round, the rider just rides (or should).
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Name:  batman.jpg
Views: 1895
Size:  191.2 KB

i just ride what makes me stack less.

Hell Track
    Never experienced that. Wouldn't care any way. I can say that when I see someone on an old school vintage bike I immediately have respect. It always reminds me that I don't need the newest greatest technology in order to enjoy the sport of cycling. Nothing wrong with a new bike either, and i do drool over those from time to time.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast