Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Yetimnstr575 View Post
    I love my mountain bike and mountain biking. I however couldn't ever imagine making a remark about whatever bike you ride let alone wheel size.
    If they some how come out with a 28" wheel then people will probably like that too.
    I mean come on if someone's remarks about wheel size bothers a person to begin with we have bigger issues on our hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They have a 28" wheel size. That's what they call 29ers in the EU on some tire web sites.

mtbr member
    650, 650a, 650b, 650c too

dwt
    mtbr member

Has anyone riding a 26 experienced smug on the trail?

You want to experience smug, bring an old school 7 speed steel frame road bike to a group ride. Those guys with $8000+ carbon bikes 15 lbs and under will sniff unless you can smoke their asses on your 25lbs antique. If you can do that why are you on an antique? Only a tiny minority of the carbon boys are poseurs with big wallets.

Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    You want to experience smug, bring an old school 7 speed steel frame road bike to a group ride. Those guys with $8000+ carbon bikes 15 lbs and under will sniff unless you can smoke their asses on your 25lbs antique. If you can do that why are you on an antique? Only a tiny minority of the carbon boys are poseurs with big wallets.

Some people thinks that getting the top of the line stuff is going to make them look more credible. Once a year, my friends and I haul our bass boats to Clear Lake for a friendly tournament. One year, my friend invited one of his Silicon Valley co-workers to join in. This guy showed up with his Hummer towing a top of the line, new Ranger Z22 boat, which is pretty much a $70K bass boat. First off, he was late, because he had to fill his Hummer up twice for the 300 mile drive, but when had absolutely no clue what he was doing out here. My boat is nothing to sneeze at but its 2005 (Skeeter ZX225), but he looked at my boat and made a pretty smug comment. I forgot what it was, but it was something in the lines of "time for a new boat, huh?" He also had all the high end fishing rods and reels (Daiwa Steez). I don't think he caught 1 fish the entire day.

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
    Some people thinks that getting the top of the line stuff is going to make them look more credible. Once a year, my friends and I haul our bass boats to Clear Lake for a friendly tournament. One year, my friend invited one of his Silicon Valley co-workers to join in. This guy showed up with his Hummer towing a top of the line, new Ranger Z22 boat, which is pretty much a $70K bass boat. First off, he was late, because he had to fill his Hummer up twice for the 300 mile drive, but when had absolutely no clue what he was doing out here. My boat is nothing to sneeze at but its 2005 (Skeeter ZX225), but he looked at my boat and made a pretty smug comment. I forgot what it was, but it was something in the lines of "time for a new boat, huh?" He also had all the high end fishing rods and reels (Daiwa Steez). I don't think he caught 1 fish the entire day.
    Hope you were able to shame the d-bag with your catch

"Time for a new sport, huh?"

mtbr member
    Hope you were able to shame the d-bag with your catch

"Time for a new sport, huh?"

I definitely out-fished the guy. I've been fishing for 20+ years. Sucks I didn't win the friendly $1000 prize though.

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
    I definitely out-fished the guy. I've been fishing for 20+ years. Sucks I didn't win the friendly $1000 prize though.
    Don't know where you are, but I live in the Finger Lakes region, Upstate New York where there was a huge tournament last week on Cayuga Lake. I guess Pro Bass Fishing is huge across the country. Don't know enough about it to know what's cool and what's not, but do know that equipment poseurs who can't walk the walk exist in all sports. If they weren't pumping money into the Industry, they'd totally be scum sucking bottom feeders. Even dumping boat loads of Silicon Valley "petty cash" into the particular industry, they don't understand that you can't buy your way up the totem pole, gotta climb each rung all by yourself. Bravo to the ones who can do both, make money and still do well athletically. I did both and though I was never above B or maybe B+, I never sucked scum either.

Perpetual n00b
    It's hard to tell how smug someone is when I'm flying past them! ;-)
    When the chicks at school see how gay we are, they're gonna be all over us.

Reluctant Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    "Now choose your favorite size, and be a dick about it"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPVRU7jSYkQ
    I was gonna post the same thing when I saw the thread title.

I can barely tell the difference by looking. Who cares? 90% of the folks I see on the trails with their $3,000+ 650s and 29s and Enduros and Konas and Fox shocks and Rock Shox and Doohiminey Dox go around the obstacles that I shred with my $650 Hardrock. I usually get smoked on the simple parts of the trail, but when it comes down to it, it's the size of the skills, not the wheels.

mtbr member
    No, never. I've got compliments for riding this a few times:

'11 Epic Comp, Shimano SPD M780, Giant Contact Switch-R, Specialized Ribcage, Bontrager Trip 200

mtbr member
    I think I may have caught a snide remark from a guy riding a 26er or it could have just been matter of fact. He was in front of me as we navigated an acute angle turn and I commented on how I disliked that turn. He told me it was because I was riding a 29er. Though the rest of that trail I had to be careful not to run over him dure some of the decents and climbs. I guess it's all a trade off.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Co Springs
    That sounds like a guy joking, trying to be funny but you often have to know the individual a bit to understand if they are being a smart-ss or just being funny.

My impression of most trail corners or most riding is it's more about one's skill, style or experience/ability than the number of spokes in your wheel-set, size of tire or color of the bike.
    Yet on any given bad day or one w/o coffee, I'd blame any one of those things.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    My cousin whom I often ride with whips an older GT Avalanche 26" with a nice RockShox fork, some XT components, etc. Although he's 6ft tall and in plenty good shape to ride a larger wheel size, I doubt if he will ever make the jump to a bigger wheel. He also comes from a BMX background - so that's probably part of it. Frankly, he climbs better than I do and has a lot of balls, and I am a little more reserved, but handle the technical aspects better. By the way, I'm riding a Fuji Tahoe 29er... which has a bunch of great parts on it and handles fantastically - and I've had to stand up for the bike almost immediately when talking to people on higher end 29ers!! I think the point is.. no matter how sick your bike is.. the wheel size.. plethora of carbon parts, or completely rigid frame/SS... someone is going to find a way to be a smug ******* because people can be smug *******s. I think the consensus here is that most of us just absolutely LOVE to shred and clearly those people are out there for other reasons.

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by STLZM View Post
    My cousin whom I often ride with whips an older GT Avalanche 26" with a nice RockShox fork, some XT components, etc. Although he's 6ft tall and in plenty good shape to ride a larger wheel size, I doubt if he will ever make the jump to a bigger wheel. He also comes from a BMX background - so that's probably part of it. Frankly, he climbs better than I do and has a lot of balls, and I am a little more reserved, but handle the technical aspects better. By the way, I'm riding a Fuji Tahoe 29er... which has a bunch of great parts on it and handles fantastically - and I've had to stand up for the bike almost immediately when talking to people on higher end 29ers!! I think the point is.. no matter how sick your bike is.. the wheel size.. plethora of carbon parts, or completely rigid frame/SS... someone is going to find a way to be a smug ******* because people can be smug *******s. I think the consensus here is that most of us just absolutely LOVE to shred and clearly those people are out there for other reasons.
    Good points.
    I've run a few numbers on bikes and if doing so correctly, I come up with gearing (ratios that are 'corrected') for the 29" making them match many of the 26" set ups. If so, this would mean the pedaling (powering) the bike shouldn't be much if any different in those cases.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I was looked down upon by a guy riding a Surly Krampus while riding on Sunday. Of course, I was passing him, and he was a fairly small fellow, but still on account of the bike, he was WAY UP THERE!

Oh, yes.......and I was riding my lowly old 26" 1X10 Joker; not the speediest steed in the stable.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

Co Springs
    I don't know the first thing about Surly bikes but if they promote, enhance or expect the namesake to be part of the ownership experience, I think we should allow a pass for a grouchy or brusque attitude. Just them though.

At least they didn't brand the bikes 'Pissy' although I suppose that attitude played out wouldn't differ much.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I get smack about driving a Ford truck from my uncle who is a retired GM worker. Whenever he talks smack about my beloved 2003 Ford Ranger, I just show him my odometer which reads 300,000+ miles on the original engine and transmission and still running like a champ. Then I ask him to show me his odometer on his GM truck - oh yes, it's in the shop.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Going unshaved on a competitive road ride on a steel bike with downtube shifters and smoking the **** out of everyone is one of the most satisfying experiences a mountain biker can have.
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Iamrockandroll13 View Post
    Going unshaved on a competitive road ride on a steel bike with downtube shifters and smoking the **** out of everyone is one of the most satisfying experiences a mountain biker can have.
    Even better if you wear a camelbak.

V-Shaped Rut
    Just got back from a nice little shakedown ride on my brand new 26" SS. I was shocked that I wasn't gang raped by a pack of wild lycra race kit wearing 29er riders. Lucky me I guess.

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by big_slacker View Post
    Just got back from a nice little shakedown ride on my brand new 26" SS. I was shocked that I wasn't gang raped by a pack of wild lycra race kit wearing 29er riders. Lucky me I guess.
    New 26" SS about as rare as an honest politician. Just think of all the hype you resisted going with that little pony, new. Bravo. Hope you smoked a few of the 29'ers.

I have an antique 26" SS circa 1990's, rigid fork, no disc tabs, sub 20 lbs. You really don't know "flickable" till you've ridden a light 26" SS, eh? Hate to admit how rarely this bike sees action anymore.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6