Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I'm smug AGAINST anyone not riding a 26in bike. Not really, but in my mind I am.

I am because I cannot go to the LBS and buy any DECENT tires for my 26in bike. I am because I cannot got to the LBS and look at any 26in forks. Like this thing has just *poofed* off the face of the earth as a form of usable trail biking machine and is completely inept at having fun on the trail and should not be repaired. F-you local bike shops, you aren't getting a F-ing dollar from me.

So I am smug against them, because people ate up the 27.5 that the industry shoved down our throats, and now I am either forced to be bitter or drop the money and join the "revolution".

So I will be riding my 26er obsolete piece of **** and hating on the 27.5in secretly every time I ride.

I have a 29er. It is a fast hard tail race machine. So I am not prejudiced against wheel sizes other than 26in, I am just a sad little troll with an obsolete bike. But my buddies 27.5 Kona process feels 95% the same as mine when we swap out. Not dropping $3k for 5% difference.

So yes, internal smugness abounds.
    X-prezo Super-D, 26in style.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I get so many compliments on my bike and I know that people are just lying to me to make me feel better because I still have those only tiny 26" wheels, but its nice to know that people care about how i feel about my ride.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Opposite of smug - Rode for the first time with a colleague. After the ride he said to me: "I'm really relieved. Before you showed up I was afraid you would have one of those stupid 29ers."

100% true story!
    09 Canfield Brothers - The One
    08 Cannondale Scalpel - SoBe Team Carbon frame

mtbr member

Has anyone riding a 26 experienced smug on the trail?

It's totally normal that people are interested in what others are riding. So the whole "just ride" thing only goes so far, you have to be riding on top of something. And it does matter to some degree. You don't see 10" wheels or 60" wheels out there lol not that I wouldn't ride them.

I am sad that the 26" ht is just gone from the stores. I was recently thinking of a 26" ht to race and could find nothing around here anywhere. Tires are pretty much nil.

mtbr member
    A few of the local stores have more 26" tires than 29" tires. If I want a decent 26 tire I can just walk in and buy one. If I want a decent 29 tire I have to order it.

V-Shaped Rut
    Sounds like you need to meditate or smoke some herb or something.

Seriously though, I got a 27.5 recently only because I could see the writing on the wall, and the bikes really are better than anything else I've ridden. I wouldn't go out of the way to 'upgrade' if you already have a nice 26er, but if you are in the market for a new bike it's not that hard a choice unless you're set on being a holdout.

I went back to some of my old posts during the 29er 'revolution' and saw that while it was happening I was saying that for a FS bike it doesn't make sense to fit larger wheels to 'roll better' since the suspension takes care of obstacles and rolling benefits are probably negated by wheel weight, acceleration up/after climbing tech sections and so on. They're great for hardtail XC bikes on XC trails (see XC racers doing well on 29ers) but for most trails I ride I'd like a FS smaller wheeled bike.

Personally IDGAF if it's 26" or 27.5" as long as we can just pick a f'in wheel size and stick with it. I've got some 26" wheels in the basement I'm really wanting to build into something but I need a damn frame!

Quote Originally Posted by y0bailey View Post
    I'm smug AGAINST anyone not riding a 26in bike. Not really, but in my mind I am.

I am because I cannot go to the LBS and buy any DECENT tires for my 26in bike. I am because I cannot got to the LBS and look at any 26in forks. Like this thing has just *poofed* off the face of the earth as a form of usable trail biking machine and is completely inept at having fun on the trail and should not be repaired. F-you local bike shops, you aren't getting a F-ing dollar from me.

So I am smug against them, because people ate up the 27.5 that the industry shoved down our throats, and now I am either forced to be bitter or drop the money and join the "revolution".

So I will be riding my 26er obsolete piece of **** and hating on the 27.5in secretly every time I ride.

I have a 29er. It is a fast hard tail race machine. So I am not prejudiced against wheel sizes other than 26in, I am just a sad little troll with an obsolete bike. But my buddies 27.5 Kona process feels 95% the same as mine when we swap out. Not dropping $3k for 5% difference.

So yes, internal smugness abounds.

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    Quote Originally Posted by doctock993 View Post
    Opposite of smug - Rode for the first time with a colleague. After the ride he said to me: "I'm really relieved. Before you showed up I was afraid you would have one of those stupid 29ers."

100% true story!
    That is hilarious. And it makes me wonder, will wheelsize someday surpass all other forms of prejudice?

Unpredictable
    Quote Originally Posted by onlycrimson View Post
    It's totally normal that people are interested in what others are riding. So the whole "just ride" thing only goes so far, you have to be riding on top of something. And it does matter to some degree. You don't see 10" wheels or 60" wheels out there lol not that I wouldn't ride them.

I am sad that the 26" ht is just gone from the stores. I was recently thinking of a 26" ht to race and could find nothing around here anywhere. Tires are pretty much nil.
    If the LBS won't stock the components and rubber we need for our 26ers, then the online businesses are goinng to do pretty well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I need to learn how to weld. I would start a company called "sixer" and just sell bomb assed 26in frames. I feel like I could make a killing.
    X-prezo Super-D, 26in style.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I really doubt it.

I need to learn how to weld. I would start a company called "sixer" and just sell bomb assed 26in frames. I feel like I could make a killing.
    I really doubt it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I think its great to have those choices out there. My wife started on a 29 but never really liked it she's on a 650b now and loves it.
    Lefty For LIFE!!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    We always make fun of each other both about our bikes and riding skills regardless of wheel size.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm on a 26 and wouldn't trade it for anything else at the moment. It's the lightest bike at the XC races and still takes big drops on the "fun" trails. It awarded me ALL the KOM's at the local trail and too many to count at others. I won my age group in Cat 1 at the local XC series and got 6th overall including pro/elite Cats. Ebay is full of 26" parts and much less expensive than LBS. So, what would I gain by getting a different bike? Weight?

I know I will eventually be on a bike with wheels other 26". As the manufacturers put their R&D dollars into 29 and now 27.5, the quality and weight will improve while 26 technology remains stagnant. Bigger wheeled bikes will be the obvious choice at some point. But for now, my 26 is doing fine and I have results to prove it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I just bought a new fs 26er (Marin Mount Vision XM8) for well under half what the new 27.5ers and 29ers are selling for.

I suppose by the time that one wears out, we'll be up to 36" wheels and short riders will be mounting embarcation ladders.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Here in Houston there is a pretty good sized off-road biking community. We have two major trail groupings (Anthills & Ho Chi Min) right here in the city so you see a lot of people out riding. I do roll a 10 year old 26" Giant I've rebuilt into a modern bike, all except the wheel size.

Mostly people just ride and I've never had anyone comment about my bike one way or the other. We're all out there to get our kicks and don't do much standing around flapping our gums. I see everything from cheap big box store bikes to ten thousand dollar carbon 29ers out there and everybody pretty much does the same thing - rolls down the trail. Some better than others. But nobody's gonna stop to say anything other than offer assistance when one of us crashes, gets a flat, or needs help moving a downed tree or whatever.

Just ride and enjoy what you've got. Don't worry about what everybody else has. How could you possibly know their decision criteria for what they ride? Rest assured it's not the same as yours. I have a very good reason for spending as much on rebuilding my ten year old 26" bike with all the choice bits I like as I would have spent on buying a fancy new 27.5 or 29. Probably wouldn't make sense to you but it makes me happy as hell. Yay!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    There's no discrimination here really. Rather, I normally get people asking how old my frame is (1995 I assume, still an unknown frame. The Trek sticker is a lie), and they give good comments, and suggestions on how to make it ride better. Sometimes, they even offer to sell some parts I need for cheap.

Has anyone riding a 26 experienced smug on the trail?-10397978_554226348022582_7975133550040354488_n.jpg

You respect them, they respect you. Simple as that.
    Cycling is a good form of release, an escape from everyday tensions, and one hell of a fun ride.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    I just laugh at them. I am well past the point where I care about what some random ******** stranger on the trail thinks about me and what bike I ride.

Besides -- laughing at them tends to piss them off, which is the best comeback.
    So many trails... so little time...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
    I can barely go for a ride without running into some level of condescension from riders on "modern" bikes. Comments about how my bike is "old school", or "holy crap, you rode that, on that?!?!", and asking when I'm going to "upgrade".

Funny how many of those idiots I've ridden off my wheel lately.
    Yeah, I get smugness as well. It usually comes when I drop their asses on the hill or the downhill! J/K. Really though, this topic just validates the point that the marketing seeds are planted well with a segment of the community that is based on wants more than needs.

mtbr member
    After first posting I made a point to pay more attention when I'm riding to see who is the least "friendly" riders around my area. Surprisingly the 26s and 29ers were both really friendly, but I got more "smugness" from the single-speed guys more than anyone else. If you don't ride a single, you're lucky if you can get a "hi" out of them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Are the single-speeders out-of-breath from pedaling downhill?

I wouldn't know myself, I never see them on the trails here.

mtbr member

Re: Has anyone riding a 26 experienced smug on the trail?

Quote Originally Posted by andytiedye View Post
    Are the single-speeders out-of-breath from pedaling downhill?

I wouldn't know myself, I never see them on the trails here.
    Don't know. I rarely ever see them outside the parking lot talking to other single-speeders.

mtbr member

Has anyone riding a 26 experienced smug on the trail?

I would only worry about it if your girlfriend or wife is commenting about the size of your wheel.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Guess you are gonna have to start manufacturing your own tires and forks. But hey, I have some old 26" stuff laying around, and it would be sweet to throw them on a sweet hardtail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by caboose302 View Post
    After first posting I made a point to pay more attention when I'm riding to see who is the least "friendly" riders around my area. Surprisingly the 26s and 29ers were both really friendly, but I got more "smugness" from the single-speed guys more than anyone else. If you don't ride a single, you're lucky if you can get a "hi" out of them.
    When I was a SS rider, I was a complete jerk to everyone. Now, I have eleven gears on my hard tail. I just got the nice guy award at my local trail

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by philip5296 View Post
    Here in Houston there is a pretty good sized off-road biking community. We have two major trail groupings (Anthills & Ho Chi Min) right here in the city so you see a lot of people out riding. I do roll a 10 year old 26" Giant I've rebuilt into a modern bike, all except the wheel size.

Mostly people just ride and I've never had anyone comment about my bike one way or the other. We're all out there to get our kicks and don't do much standing around flapping our gums. I see everything from cheap big box store bikes to ten thousand dollar carbon 29ers out there and everybody pretty much does the same thing - rolls down the trail. Some better than others. But nobody's gonna stop to say anything other than offer assistance when one of us crashes, gets a flat, or needs help moving a downed tree or whatever.

Just ride and enjoy what you've got. Don't worry about what everybody else has. How could you possibly know their decision criteria for what they ride? Rest assured it's not the same as yours. I have a very good reason for spending as much on rebuilding my ten year old 26" bike with all the choice bits I like as I would have spent on buying a fancy new 27.5 or 29. Probably wouldn't make sense to you but it makes me happy as hell. Yay!
    Don't forget the 2 Cypresswood trails. They are hands down better than Memorial Park or Terry Hershey at the present time. Come check them out!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast