Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
    I can barely go for a ride without running into some level of condescension from riders on "modern" bikes. Comments about how my bike is "old school", or "holy crap, you rode that, on that?!?!", and asking when I'm going to "upgrade".

Funny how many of those idiots I've ridden off my wheel lately.
    I am fortunate to have a friend who is a monster, alien rider

he has ONE bike he has ridden since time began, and still rides today.

a 1950-something schwinn one-speed coaster brake, one-piece crank with the cups tack-welded to bb, old school 26 inch crap wheels (swapped out with other junk wheels when they blow) with pig-iron bike rack and pig iron bars. cheapest tires ever

it is heavily modified in that...everywhere it broke in the past is now welded/shimmed double. now it cannot break, ever. also, it has concrete rebar welded in as a seat post. thing weighs in the high 40's.

Now, he used to show up at races and get laughed at. cutoff jeans, farmer shirt, farmer shoes...3 years running he never came in lower than third...racing expert and racing people all kitted up and light bikes and everything.

no one laughs now, he is legendary in these parts. I ride his bike once in a while and I cannot really figure out how to coaster-brake mtb very well, but this bike just GOES through the woods and through the mung like nothing else. Plus this guy is a beast and can ride circles about anyone he sets his mind to ride circles around. Bike shop offered to supply him with a 19lb litespeed -free- with all the fixin's and he refused...only wants to ride the schwinn,.

tl;dr: 26 inch tank...gets laughed at...he laughs last.

mtbr member
    Nope. I see all wheel sizes on the trails. I old bikes and new bikes. And older bikes are all going to be 26"ers. I've had some compliments on my 14 y.o. Cannondale too.

mtbr member
    I've noticed the opposite. Most riders, no matter what size, always seem very nice. I have a 29er hardtail and a 26 rigid and when I go out on the 26 everyone is friendly and it starts up a lot of conversation about being on a rigid that in all honesty, probably doesn't belong on some of the trails I take it to.

dwt
    mtbr member

Has anyone riding a 26 experienced smug on the trail?

Quote Originally Posted by caboose302 View Post
    I've noticed the opposite. Most riders, no matter what size, always seem very nice. I have a 29er hardtail and a 26 rigid and when I go out on the 26 everyone is friendly and it starts up a lot of conversation about being on a rigid that in all honesty, probably doesn't belong on some of the trails I take it to.
    It "belongs" wherever you can ride it and have fun. But no reverse smug on that bad boy, eh?
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Haha I get teased a lot because it's an old POS Huffy that weighs more than I do. I was into road bikes when I was younger so this was my first mtb. Figure I'm just going to ride it until it breaks. Usually the conversation starts when I pass some people on their high-end bikes. My buddy jokingly told me to tell them "skill is built, not bought".

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Not trying to be "the guy" on the forum but why is there a post asking everyone if you get ridiculed for riding a 26er on the trail? I mean are there riders out there outside of the internet that really care that much about what you are riding? I mean are there gangs of 29er riders wearing black leather jackets and plum smugglers waiting in ambush behind the rocks and trees to jump someone who rides by on a 26er?

I mean I guess we can ask if someone has been harassed for having rim brakes by the disc brake crowd or those riding flats being hazed by the clipless folks.

Honestly, I haven't met anyone in the 8 years I have been riding who gave a rats butt about what I was riding. Bring on more threads like this...they are entertaining.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    If I see anything other than a 29er HT, I try to crush their soul.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Ha, this thread indirectly made me of that How to be a Mountain Biker video when he says "pick your wheel size and be a dick about it".

Seriously though I ride a 26" AM couple years old in an area that's mostly 29"/27.5" - never noticed this.

mtbr member
    I think everyone kind of checks out other people's bike when they're on the trail. I do it not to judge, but just out of curiosity. Everyone seems to be on a Giant, Trek or Specialized. I always look for people who are riding 650Bs just to get some feedback from them and on some trails, some say they prefer their 26ers at times. I've been a huge supporter of the 26ers but if I find a good deal on a 650B, then I might be inclined to pick one up. But a good majority of the riders that I've come across on the trails are still on their 26ers.

dwt
    mtbr member

Where I live, there's often bike, wheel, component discussion in parking lots at trail heads. No smug. Mosty legit questions like: "I've heard a lot about that Enduro 29'er, but have never seen one in the wild. How do you like it? What did were on before you got it?" Or "are those Enves ?Seriously? What bank did you rob?" That kind if shyte. Trails are for riding, not idle conversation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
    I think everyone kind of checks out other people's bike when they're on the trail. I do it not to judge, but just out of curiosity. Everyone seems to be on a Giant, Trek or Specialized. I always look for people who are riding 650Bs just to get some feedback from them and on some trails, some say they prefer their 26ers at times. I've been a huge supporter of the 26ers but if I find a good deal on a 650B, then I might be inclined to pick one up. But a good majority of the riders that I've come across on the trails are still on their 26ers.
    Yep..the gear is fun and its cool to see what is out there..no judgement...but still...crush...souls
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member

Re: Has anyone riding a 26 experienced smug on the trail?

Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post
    ...I mean are there gangs of 29er riders wearing black leather jackets and plum smugglers waiting in ambush...
    Plum smugglers. I'm adding that to my vocabulary.

Feeling retro..but Jung
    I'm smug no matter....
    I mean if there were jobs then we wouldn't be on the dole then maybe we'd be singing about love and kissing-Joe Strummer

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Germany_chris View Post
    I'm smug no matter....
    Well, you're German. You can't help it. Genetic

LOL

mtbr member
    Put some 2.35's on your 26" bike....Not much of a difference in rolling circumference compared to the average 27.5's No one will notice the difference!
    Last edited by borbntm; 08-11-2014 at 09:26 PM.

Unpredictable
    I had never thought about this until now. All my riding mates are just relaxed and friendly dudes. I've never felt any smugness from them, but I guess I ride a 26. Come to think of it, we do come across riders on bikes that are not 26 from time to time, but I just don't remember the meetings. I've never seen any smugness on our trails, but now I'm going to pay more attention

V-Shaped Rut
    I just helped a buddy rebuild an old spesh for his GF. It has:

Steel frame
    Rigid fork
    26" wheels
    Square taper BB
    Canti brakes
    7 speed cassette

I only hope she doesn't get jumped on her way to work by a gang of carbon 29ers.

I was reading through this thread and gonna post the same thing. I've never met one person who cared about wheel size or really anything other than commenting about being a beast for riding SS or curious about some the 1x setup or whatever. I can't even tell what what wheel size someone is riding by looking, I'd have to read the rim or something, lol! Only on the internet do people obsess about these minutiae of bike gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post
    Not trying to be "the guy" on the forum but why is there a post asking everyone if you get ridiculed for riding a 26er on the trail? I mean are there riders out there outside of the internet that really care that much about what you are riding? I mean are there gangs of 29er riders wearing black leather jackets and plum smugglers waiting in ambush behind the rocks and trees to jump someone who rides by on a 26er?

I mean I guess we can ask if someone has been harassed for having rim brakes by the disc brake crowd or those riding flats being hazed by the clipless folks.

Honestly, I haven't met anyone in the 8 years I have been riding who gave a rats butt about what I was riding. Bring on more threads like this...they are entertaining.

Feeling retro..but Jung
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    Well, you're German. You can't help it. Genetic

LOL
    Not German
    I mean if there were jobs then we wouldn't be on the dole then maybe we'd be singing about love and kissing-Joe Strummer

dwt
    mtbr member

Not German
    Just your handle is. Are you stationed there ?

speed freak
    May 2007
    People can be a holes... it is usually stemmed from insecurity. Someone with a bmf bike that is a cool rider isn't going to be an a hole. Sales guy I met at my LBS is a racer with a SWEET all carbon Epic, prob upwards of 7k. He was one of the nicest down to earth guys Ive met yet in regards to this sport... He even knew we likely werent buying a bike from him since my wife already had a Lust on layaway which we told him when we walked in. Anyway, imo its all about the ride, and being able to enjoy nature and not be at work... some people really just need to calm down before they have a stroke at the age of 40 over some stupid non important BS like what wheels some guy has on a bike he saw in the woods.
    '06 Test Bike Blue Specalized FSRxc Pro
    '95 Violet Pearl Cannondale Killer-V 900
    WTB '97 Tangerine Cannondale Killer-V 900

Feeling retro..but Jung
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    Just your handle is. Are you stationed there ?
    I never was but I married a German and came here after I got out but yes I do work for the Army and have now for 10 years. If I can't land a gig on the economy I'll head back to the states in 2016 for a couple years, I'm thinking about trying for Alaska but the Army is going to want to send me back to Hawaii.

V-Shaped Rut
    Totally OT, but having worked in AK quite a bit and been to the major HI islands I know where I'd move, cost of living be damned.

I mean, anchorage is shockingly expensive anyway considering the kind of town it is. Can't get fresh fruits and veggies, winter is horrible, lots of kooks. And the no sun/always sun thing just jacks you up.

I know you'd probably be in honolulu which isn't ideal IMO but still I'd rather live in a studio apartment there than anywhere in AK.

I never was but I married a German and came here after I got out but yes I do work for the Army and have now for 10 years. If I can't land a gig on the economy I'll head back to the states in 2016 for a couple years, I'm thinking about trying for Alaska but the Army is going to want to send me back to Hawaii.

Feeling retro..but Jung
    Quote Originally Posted by big_slacker View Post
    Totally OT, but having worked in AK quite a bit and been to the major HI islands I know where I'd move, cost of living be damned.

I mean, anchorage is shockingly expensive anyway considering the kind of town it is. Can't get fresh fruits and veggies, winter is horrible, lots of kooks. And the no sun/always sun thing just jacks you up.

I know you'd probably be in honolulu which isn't ideal IMO but still I'd rather live in a studio apartment there than anywhere in AK.
    The cost of living of either place pales in comparison to Stuttgart. My studio in Ewa Beach was 850+ utilities I'd be really hard pressed to find a studio here for the same price in Euros. I liked Hawaii a lot but it's one of those been there done that things I've lived there ridden on all the islands so there really isn't much new to do there. AK has mountains and you have to be a little tougher to live up there which appeals to me, then there is Kodiak island which is a place I've always wanted to visit. I have an old Army buddy that happens to lives in Point Barrow which is another place that I'd like to see even if it's only for a couple days as much to say I've been there as anything else. Realistically I'd end up at JBER so EVERYTHING would be a flight buy my wife will not be coming with so I'll have the time to do things.

mtbr member
    Got passed by a guy on a 29er. He was going too fast to see if he was being smug. I passed another guy on a 29er, twice actually. I was going too fast to see if he was being smug. Ran into a group of riders, two guys and two women who seemed pretty friendly. I didn't even notice any of their wheel sizes except for the guy on the fatbike. Saw some smug dudes all geared up hanging around a pickup truck talking about their bikes. I think they'd probably be smug regardless of wheel size.

V-Shaped Rut
    I'm with you. If you're looking for an experience then AK certainly is that.

There is a lot of good riding and obviously plenty of backcountry in AK. Lots of critters as well. I'm always bikeless out there but I've done plenty of trail running. It's kind of a short season, but you could always get a fatbike for the winter or just ski, snowshoe, etc... in the long winter. Or just drink like everybody else.

The cost of living of either place pales in comparison to Stuttgart. My studio in Ewa Beach was 850+ utilities I'd be really hard pressed to find a studio here for the same price in Euros. I liked Hawaii a lot but it's one of those been there done that things I've lived there ridden on all the islands so there really isn't much new to do there. AK has mountains and you have to be a little tougher to live up there which appeals to me, then there is Kodiak island which is a place I've always wanted to visit. I have an old Army buddy that happens to lives in Point Barrow which is another place that I'd like to see even if it's only for a couple days as much to say I've been there as anything else. Realistically I'd end up at JBER so EVERYTHING would be a flight buy my wife will not be coming with so I'll have the time to do things.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast