Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member

Re: Has anyone riding a 26 experienced smug on the trail?

Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    Wow, I had no idea. I feel so, so sorry for you.

Attachment 907164
    Thank you very much.
    Your compassion is very nice and appreciated. They can be real PITA posers sometimes.
    It really gets tiring constantly explaining to those diehard 26" riders the origins of the 650b passion.
    I have learnt some can't be convinced though. Especially the ones who have never tried a 650b or 29".
    BTW, I still ride my 26". Only not as much as I used to.

Readin & Postin since '02
    Jul 2006
    The only smug I ever experience is from Prius drivers as I fill my '67 GTO, but they can't help it because of the smug cloud that floats over them.

I gently remind them that if it weren't for my car, their car wouldn't be necessary.

Chuck

mtbr member

Has anyone riding a 26 experienced smug on the trail?

I love my mountain bike and mountain biking. I however couldn't ever imagine making a remark about whatever bike you ride let alone wheel size.
    If they some how come out with a 28" wheel then people will probably like that too.
    I mean come on if someone's remarks about wheel size bothers a person to begin with we have bigger issues on our hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Pete, you are wearing thin on this whole forum. How do you find the time in high school to post so much?

EMBA Member
    Only a total douche bag would have sufficient lack of common sense to act smug about the bike someone else is riding. Pretend you don't speak english and get away from them asap.

EMBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yetimnstr575 View Post
    Yeah one time a chick on the trails said my 26" wheels were not big enough to ride with her. So she rode with another guy that had a 29er.

some guys have to ride 29ers to avoid dragging. just sayin...

Co Springs
    These folks hung up on wheel size discrimination have never had a good time or at least never been to Las Vegas.
    The lesson those ladies will pass along is if performance isn't suffering, there is no need to bring up size.

When they do, it's called a 'Tell'.
    Last edited by bachman1961; 07-10-2014 at 08:13 PM.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Yes, I did experience smug on trails.
    From 26" riders.
    Telling me how the whole 650b is an industry created BS.
    I only get that on MTBR.

Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

'Tis but a scratch
    Today was a great day. I managed to get in 2 rides. I recall talking briefly throughout the day with a family of 4, a couple and 3 other single riders.

I could not tell you what brand of bike any of them have, what size wheels they had, whether they were clipped in, whether they were riding FS/HT/Rigid or whether they were wearing spandex.

I could tell you what their faces looked like and what we talked about, and even a couple names. We mostly talked about the great whether, the awesome scenery, the sweet trails, how to get to a particular trail, best direction to take a particular trail, things to do in the area...stuff like that.

It was all a very positive experience, as usual. That's why I do it.

mtbr member

[Q UOTE=huffster;11316730]Today was a great day. I managed to get in 2 rides. I recall talking briefly throughout the day with a family of 4, a couple and 3 other single riders.

I could not tell you what brand of bike any of them have, what size wheels they had, whether they were clipped in, whether they were riding FS/HT/Rigid or whether they were wearing spandex.

I could tell you what their faces looked like and what we talked about, and even a couple names. We mostly talked about the great whether, the awesome scenery, the sweet trails, how to get to a particular trail, best direction to take a particular trail, things to do in the area...stuff like that.

It was all a very positive experience, as usual. That's why I do it.[/QUOTE]

You're not a real rider then. You should have berated him about what he wore and his bike brand.

mtbr member
    First time I went out with a wee group on a local trail, one guy was riding a 26er and he jokingly called me and another 29er rider cheats... My father-in-law who rides a 29er, believes I was conned into purchasing my 650b Kona Process. Another time I was out on my 29 HT, doing a few loops of a local trail I bumped into 3 out of towners, they were riding FS trail bikes 120 - 140 travel... They wouldn't give me the time of day. One of them tried to start a friendly conversation, and the other two soon dragged him back to the fold. So there is stigma out there for sure (regardless of wheel size), find some like minded riders and forget the rest.

Sent from my Kin[G]_Pad
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

dwt
    mtbr member

You're not a real rider then. You should have berated him about what he wore and his bike brand.
    He's not a Mtbr rider. A Mtbr rider would finish the ride , then post up a report on his iPhone in the parking lot, describing the wrong clothing, bike brands, wheel sizes, tires, pedals, suspension, dropper posts, handlebar width & stem sizes that everyone was using. And to boot, when they rode, they all were doing it wrong.

mtbr member
    I see everything from Next to Cannondale lefties. The best bike is the one you throw a leg over.

mtbr member
    I don't understand all this talking people do about wheel size etc. on the trail??? I never really talk to anyone except a riding partner if I have one. I just go ride and come home. Seems weird to me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Oakeshott View Post
    I purchased an SB66c a couple months ago and have received nothing but compliments.

Attachment 906809
    That is one of best looking bikes I've ever seen. Great choice!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Yeah one time a chick on the trails said my 26" wheels were not big enough to ride with her. So she rode with another guy that had a 29er.

I would have told her I was saving the other 3" for later.

All the SoCal comments are funny. I live in SoCal and it doesn't seem to be an issue like the majority of the internet makes it out to be. Like the only aholes are in SoCal.

Except fatbikes. Those guys are weird.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Not at all. My friends are going 650b and my next bike will likely be mid sized wheels. My 26 Turner 5 Spot keeps up pretty well but we agree that 650b has advantage in the chunk. Next bike will be something like the Knolly warden or Turner Burner. There are 29ers here but are not dominant in these parts. Most ride 26 or are moving to 650b here around Cumberland, BC.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    My last ride out I had my ss 26, with a freshly painted frame using canned spray paint, and a dude i ran into on the trail invited to the group that gets together for a weekly ride. All levels welcome. There are friendly people out there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    If your bike works for you and you love riding it, then ride it and to heck with what others think. Unless, of course, you ran into them.
    Seriously, the whole 29 vs. 26. vs. 650B debate is about as sensible as the GM vs. Dodge vs. Ford debate with pickups.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Prairiedownhill View Post
    If your bike works for you and you love riding it, then ride it and to heck with what others think. Unless, of course, you ran into them.
    Seriously, the whole 29 vs. 26. vs. 650B debate is about as sensible as the GM vs. Dodge vs. Ford debate with pickups.
    Ford please.

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Prairiedownhill View Post
    Or how about blonde, brunette or redhead?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    Or how about blonde, brunette or redhead?
    No debate there, the answer is yes.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I say ride what you got..... its not about the bike , its about the rider..... my bikes are old.... a 97 rockhopper and an old murray from about 1990.... I pretty much built them from what was available..... I have not had steady work since 2010.... got my bikes cheap at garage sales or bikes I picked up for free... right now I am trying to come up with enough cash to replace the bottom bracket on the rockhopper......if somebody makes fun of my bikes I tell them I will gladly take donations for a new bike..... that generally shuts most people up..... my bikes are what I can afford and they work for me......as far as other people even if they are riding an $80 roadmaster at least they are out riding it........ better than the internet bikers that never ride the bike and it just sits there looking new.......it seems some people these days want to have something more expensive than the next guy......what ever... I just care about riding no matter what kind of bike it is
    97 specialized rockhopper.....$5 garage sale find....rebuild and low buck single speed conversion

mtbr member
    Smugness on the trail? If I ever get it I just point to my shirt:
    Has anyone riding a 26 experienced smug on the trail?-roadie_new_1024x1024.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Quote Originally Posted by BumpityBump View Post
    I don't understand all this talking people do about wheel size etc. on the trail??? I never really talk to anyone except a riding partner if I have one. I just go ride and come home. Seems weird to me.
    I'm the same way. I'm not trying to be rude but usually during the week especially I don't have the time. It takes me 45 minutes to do a lap at the local trail, and I work from home. I'll set a model up to render out and go for a ride once or twice a day. I don't have time to stand around and argue about wheel size because I've got to get home. Luckily I can remote desktop from my phone so I'll stop mid way to set up another, or redo something if i messed up a setting.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast